The Official F1 2020 silly season *contains speculation*

The Official F1 2020 silly season *contains speculation*

Author
Discussion

Drew106

808 posts

89 months

Thursday 21st March
quotequote all
Maybe Mercedes will give Bottas a championship then sack him, like they did with Rosberg...







Not serious

slipstream 1985

6,481 posts

123 months

Thursday 21st March
quotequote all
parabolica said:
thegreenhell said:
... Toto is on record as saying he's promised Ocon a competitive drive next year....
Ah yes, because a promise made in F1 is a promise kept...

If Bottas has a strong year it'll give Merc a headache.
Ocon is kept on the books incase Lewis does a Nico leaving mercedes in the lurch

Deesee

2,606 posts

27 months

Tuesday 28th May
quotequote all
CLC, being hawked about by his management..

Difference of options at the Scuderia, and they do not like being criticised...

ajprice

16,328 posts

140 months

Tuesday 28th May
quotequote all
Didn't see this thread in March smile

One bit of news to update on the list is Jamie Chadwick as a development driver for Williams on the simulator, and part of the Williams driver academy.

https://www.williamsf1.com/racing/news/2019/05/jam...

HTP99

14,663 posts

84 months

Tuesday 28th May
quotequote all
Deesee said:
CLC, being hawked about by his management..

Difference of options at the Scuderia, and they do not like being criticised...
Yep I've been reading similar, he's not happy there and apparently "2 race winning teams" are interested.


thegreenhell

6,012 posts

163 months

Tuesday 28th May
quotequote all
HTP99 said:
Yep I've been reading similar, he's not happy there and apparently "2 race winning teams" are interested.
Every team on the grid, apart from Haas, are 'race winning'. I bet one of them is Williams.

REALIST123

11,582 posts

97 months

Tuesday 28th May
quotequote all
thegreenhell said:
HTP99 said:
Yep I've been reading similar, he's not happy there and apparently "2 race winning teams" are interested.
Every team on the grid, apart from Haas, are 'race winning'. I bet one of them is Williams.
But surely CLC would want to be paid, not pay for his drive?

ajprice

16,328 posts

140 months

Tuesday 28th May
quotequote all
HTP99 said:
Deesee said:
CLC, being hawked about by his management..

Difference of options at the Scuderia, and they do not like being criticised...
Yep I've been reading similar, he's not happy there and apparently "2 race winning teams" are interested.
Well the last time a race wasn't won by Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull was Australia 2013, Raikkonen in a Lotus. CLC is in a Ferrari now, so that leaves Mercedes and Red Bull.

Edited by ajprice on Tuesday 28th May 14:13

Deesee

2,606 posts

27 months

Tuesday 28th May
quotequote all
REALIST123 said:
thegreenhell said:
HTP99 said:
Yep I've been reading similar, he's not happy there and apparently "2 race winning teams" are interested.
Every team on the grid, apart from Haas, are 'race winning'. I bet one of them is Williams.
But surely CLC would want to be paid, not pay for his drive?
I think it’s fair to say the best drivers have personal sponsorship that outweighs pay...

Vaud

Original Poster:

32,862 posts

99 months

Friday 31st May
quotequote all
Bunch of rumors here...

https://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/f1-rumor-...

Vettel considering retiring seem to carry the most weight. I wouldn't be surprised.

I wonder if Ferrari has any options on any leading drivers.

Bottas is out of contract at the end of the year...

parabolica

4,953 posts

128 months

Friday 31st May
quotequote all
Was thinking about this yesterday; if Vettel does decide he's happy being a 4x WDC and doesn't need to prove anything to anyone so leaves, I reckon Danny Ric might be top of the list.

Bottas is a possibility but if Merc keep him and Danny Ric can't get out of Renault that quickly, I think Perez might sneak a season in with them. He's got ties going back a long way with them and Ferrari do like drivers with plenty of experience.

kambites

57,212 posts

165 months

Friday 31st May
quotequote all
If Vettel does go, I wonder if they might think they can get Hamilton for the 2021 rule change? If Mercedes continue to dominate until then he's likely to be on 7 WDCs by that point. Will he want to stay where he has the best chance of getting an 8th to put clear air between him and Schumacher or will he want to try to get one with Ferrari while he's still near the top of his game?

BluePurpleRed

1,103 posts

170 months

Friday 31st May
quotequote all
kambites said:
If Vettel does go, I wonder if they might think they can get Hamilton for the 2021 rule change? If Mercedes continue to dominate until then he's likely to be on 7 WDCs by that point. Will he want to stay where he has the best chance of getting an 8th to put clear air between him and Schumacher or will he want to try to get one with Ferrari while he's still near the top of his game?
I'd LOVE to see Hamilton do it in a Red Car

parabolica

4,953 posts

128 months

Friday 31st May
quotequote all
BluePurpleRed said:
kambites said:
If Vettel does go, I wonder if they might think they can get Hamilton for the 2021 rule change? If Mercedes continue to dominate until then he's likely to be on 7 WDCs by that point. Will he want to stay where he has the best chance of getting an 8th to put clear air between him and Schumacher or will he want to try to get one with Ferrari while he's still near the top of his game?
I'd LOVE to see Hamilton do it in a Red Car
It would be good; you get the impression Merc are happy for Lewis to do whatever he wants outside of the race weekends because he delivers on race day. Not sure Ferrari would be as accommodating, but maybe if they saw him as their best chance at winning again...

HustleRussell

16,684 posts

104 months

Friday 31st May
quotequote all
Re: the vacant Ferrari seat;

Ricciardo is signed up beyond 2020(?) on major coin. I suppose we're about to find out how much he believes in the medium term prospects for the Renault team.

Bottas could be a good fit (in the Raikkonen mould..?)

Perez could do it.

Grosjean would've been in the frame some years ago but frankly I think he's blown it- can't perform for the full season, bested by Magnusson.

But what about Kvyat? Top team experience, spent 2018 with Ferrari, going well this season with no mistakes?

thegreenhell

6,012 posts

163 months

Friday 31st May
quotequote all
If, then Bottas to Ferrari and Ocon into the vacant Mercedes race seat.

Mr_Thyroid

1,729 posts

171 months

Friday 31st May
quotequote all
Rumours a couple of days ago of a merger between Fiat and Renault "in real life" - what could that mean for their respective teams in the pretend world of F1?

Deesee

2,606 posts

27 months

Friday 31st May
quotequote all
Mr_Thyroid said:
Rumours a couple of days ago of a merger between Fiat and Renault "in real life" - what could that mean for their respective teams in the pretend world of F1?
Ferrari Senior Management, Renault PU, Ferrari Front end, Renault rear!!

In all seriousness, Ferrari are a separate entity to Fiat, they have some common shareholders, Ferrari F1 sells the brand, no change..

Vaud

Original Poster:

32,862 posts

99 months

Friday 31st May
quotequote all
Mr_Thyroid said:
Rumours a couple of days ago of a merger between Fiat and Renault "in real life" - what could that mean for their respective teams in the pretend world of F1?
https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00509

Deesee

2,606 posts

27 months

Friday 31st May
quotequote all
Merc have confirmed they are in F1 till at least until 2025..

Hamilton confirms he’s got another 5 good years on the letterman show...