W Series

Author
Discussion

HustleRussell

Original Poster:

17,890 posts

115 months

Monday 29th April 2019
quotequote all
W Series, as discussed previously here begins in earnest this Saturday at Hockenheim.

Events will be shown live on C4 with this weekend's coverage starting at 14:45 if I remember correctly.

The grid consists of 18 exclusively female drivers selected through a merit-based screening process.

abzmike

2,464 posts

61 months

Monday 29th April 2019
quotequote all
HustleRussell said:
W Series, as discussed previously here begins in earnest this Saturday at Hockenheim.

Events will be shown live on C4 with this weekend's coverage starting at 14:45 if I remember correctly.

The grid consists of 18 exclusively female drivers selected through a merit-based screening process.
'exclusively female' and 'merit based'.... hmmm...
Motorsport seems to be trying to fix a problem by creating one.

HustleRussell

Original Poster:

17,890 posts

115 months

Monday 29th April 2019
quotequote all
abzmike said:
'exclusively female' and 'merit based'.... hmmm...
Motorsport seems to be trying to fix a problem by creating one.
This debate has been done to death in the existing thread which I linked in the OP.

With this thread I was intending to remind people that it's on, tell people how to watch and discuss the racing itself.

DaveTheRave87

1,648 posts

44 months

Monday 29th April 2019
quotequote all
Will there be grid men?

Eric Mc

111,546 posts

220 months

Monday 29th April 2019
quotequote all
Weren't we here before about 15 years ago -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_Woman

HorneyMX5

4,718 posts

105 months

Monday 29th April 2019
quotequote all
I'm looking forward to this and they've got a good team for the coverage.

poppopbangbang

1,190 posts

96 months

Tuesday 30th April 2019
quotequote all
One of my drivers is competing in this. Expecting her to have a few decent races as she is quick in an F1.

Adrian W

11,411 posts

183 months

Tuesday 30th April 2019
quotequote all
I cant work out what the cars actually are, other than single seaters

Kraken

1,423 posts

155 months

Tuesday 30th April 2019
quotequote all
Adrian W said:
I cant work out what the cars actually are, other than single seaters
They are Tatuus F3 cars with 1.8l turbo engines.

https://wseries.com/w-hub/tatuus-f3-t-318-tech-spe...

AlexRS2782

5,928 posts

168 months

Tuesday 30th April 2019
quotequote all
HorneyMX5 said:
I'm looking forward to this and they've got a good team for the coverage.
Same thoughts here. Plus it's always good to have motorsport on a mainstream channel.

Koln-RS

3,138 posts

167 months

Friday 3rd May 2019
quotequote all
W-Series - explained by Ted Kravitz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO4iKnwHqwE


Active75

180 posts

119 months

Friday 3rd May 2019
quotequote all

I hope it will be a challenging series. Jamie Chadwick (GBR) set the quickest time in both free practice sessions today.

I'd like to see competitive women teams in GT and Le Mans series too; Christina Nielsen, daughter of Le Mans driver Lars Erik Nielsen, drives her Ferrari pretty well and is the first woman to win a North American series.

JonChalk

2,949 posts

65 months

Saturday 4th May 2019
quotequote all
Chadwick destroyed the qualifying field in consistently wet conditions, something like 1.7s quicker than 2nd place.

The spread of times (albeit in the wet) does not bode well for a very close season of racing. That's not to Chadwick's discredit, only indicates (to me) a huge spread of experience, not necessarily a lack of talent in the field.

FourWheelDrift

79,906 posts

239 months

Saturday 4th May 2019
quotequote all
JonChalk said:
Chadwick destroyed the qualifying field in consistently wet conditions, something like 1.7s quicker than 2nd place.
She's too good for this series.

df76

2,379 posts

233 months

Saturday 4th May 2019
quotequote all
FourWheelDrift said:
JonChalk said:
Chadwick destroyed the qualifying field in consistently wet conditions, something like 1.7s quicker than 2nd place.
She's too good for this series.
She made everyone else look silly in the dry yesterday as well. Like a second a lap quicker. She should walk this, and hopefully grab an opportunity. Might also be the end of a few other careers....

Kraken

1,423 posts

155 months

Saturday 4th May 2019
quotequote all
df76 said:
She made everyone else look silly in the dry yesterday as well. Like a second a lap quicker. She should walk this, and hopefully grab an opportunity. Might also be the end of a few other careers....
Depends what you mean by opportunity. She's raced in several series and done exceptionally well.

Personally I think one woman dominating the series would be about the worst thing for the series as a whole.

df76

2,379 posts

233 months

Saturday 4th May 2019
quotequote all
Kraken said:
df76 said:
She made everyone else look silly in the dry yesterday as well. Like a second a lap quicker. She should walk this, and hopefully grab an opportunity. Might also be the end of a few other careers....
Depends what you mean by opportunity. She's raced in several series and done exceptionally well.

Personally I think one woman dominating the series would be about the worst thing for the series as a whole.
She needs a pro drive, perhaps in a factory GT team.

The time spreads are worrying, hopefully close up with more dry practice.

JonChalk

2,949 posts

65 months

Saturday 4th May 2019
quotequote all
Kraken said:
Personally I think one woman dominating the series would be about the worst thing for the series as a whole.
I agree - there's too little "balance" in the field; Visser and Powell are pretty experienced, and even they were miles off Chadwick's pace.

Chadwick should be in F2, not Tatiana Calderon.

Koln-RS

3,138 posts

167 months

Saturday 4th May 2019
quotequote all
I think this Series is a bold initiative - but, whether it provides entertaining racing remains to be seen. Single-seaters are seldom 'close' and, inevitably, the first year is going to be fairly experimental.

However, it seems to be very professionally run, and they've done well to get 20 women onto the grid who are within 6 seconds of each other.

It will be interesting to see if it does produce any future superstars, but it's more likely to be a feeder for more female races into other levels of the sport, which is probably a good thing.

ps isn't Chadwick also an Aston Martin factory driver, GTs ?

Edited by Koln-RS on Saturday 4th May 12:48

df76

2,379 posts

233 months

Saturday 4th May 2019
quotequote all
Koln-RS said:
ps isn't Chadwick also an Aston Martin factory driver, GTs ?

Edited by Koln-RS on Saturday 4th May 12:48
Just checked, and yes, and within the last couple of weeks she's been signed as a works junior driver. Will contest the VLN / N24 races this year as well.