Gasley - What's gone wrong?

Gasley - What's gone wrong?

Author
Discussion

HustleRussell

18,044 posts

116 months

Sunday 18th August 2019
quotequote all
With reference to Red Bull and Ricciardo, I thought I’d seen quotes from both parties which seem to imply that Red Bull matched or at least made significant headway towards the figure Renault were offering- so it wasn’t all about money even if it was a factor initially.

KevinCamaroSS

8,461 posts

236 months

Sunday 18th August 2019
quotequote all
DR knew he had no chance of the WDC at RB they were aligning with MV, so, no real choice but to leave.

parabolica

5,312 posts

140 months

Sunday 18th August 2019
quotequote all
Ouch.


REALIST123

13,665 posts

109 months

Sunday 18th August 2019
quotequote all
DeltonaS said:
Stan the Bat said:
Jasandjules said:
DeltonaS said:
It's the +30m Renault contact that lured DR away front RB.
I am sure that helped.

BUT I suspect if Red Bull treated the drivers the same he would still be there on less money but on Podiums...
We both suspect the same here. smile
Sure Horner and Marko patting him on the back ones in a while would've made him stay.

How are they not treated the same ?, what do we know from outside ?

Because Ricc. made a risky, late attempt on the inside of Max at Baku when Max initially was already defending his inside which Marko criticized him for internally he's not being treated the same ? RB agreed with the drivers they were both equally wrong there.

Interviews in which Ricc. tries to get back on that are nothing but ego.

And they are treated the same: same car, same quality garage, same treatment in terms of stategy, etc. That's what we know and see.

More realistic is that Ricc. may have felt he wasn't on top anymore with the far younger, attention attracting Max in the other car. Plus the Ferrari seat taken, the new uncertain RB Honda deal and 30m+ at 30 years old sounds like a good deal.
That’s more like the truth. I know that both drivers were made to apologise to the team in that week’s debrief and I also know, beyond reasonable doubt, that they always had equal equipment and support.

I don’t see it’s that much of a mystery; faced with a 9 years younger teammate who’s clearly as fast, maybe faster, if at times a little erratic, it wouldn’t take much to persuade someone to go elsewhere.

Especially when the team you’re going to has another older driver who’s pretty much regarded as a decent midfielder, and the chance of having a decent car, particularly in 2021, after the rule changes.

It hasn’t started well but who knows what will happen over the next 2/3 years?

TobyTR

858 posts

102 months

Monday 19th August 2019
quotequote all
MB140 said:
768 said:
I wonder how much of that 30m he sees after taxes and costs. Enough, I'm sure, I suppose he probably has fixed costs (do they cover their own physios, etc?) which don't increase with the move to Renault.
I imagine he will live in a tax haven, have the best tax accountants and be using loopholes only available to the mega rich. As would I if I had that kind of money.

I would imagine Renault are picking up the tab for everything else. Transport. Physio, etc. Although I believe he has a bit of a legal battle ongoing with his old management company as they want a piece of the pie from the Renault deal but DR is saying he sacked them off before the deal and he’s not paying them.
Ricciardo is a Monaco resident, so he has all the tax-exempt benefits of that, like most racing drivers and tops sports people that live there. He would only have to buy things out of his 30 million+ deal like property, cars that aren't linked to his Renault deal, other hobbies and expensive stuff that pretty women like... Everything else would come free with being a top F1 driver. Hard life etc biggrin

768

6,783 posts

52 months

Monday 19th August 2019
quotequote all
Don't they have to pay some proportion of earnings in the country they earn it? I thought someone was suggesting recently that drivers pay tax in most countries they race in.

I didn't query that because I know an airline pilot has told me he does something similar - he doesn't pay tax in the country he lives in but pays a proportion of earnings in UK tax based on flying time over the UK. Did always sound like madness to me.

37chevy

3,280 posts

112 months

Monday 19th August 2019
quotequote all
768 said:
Don't they have to pay some proportion of earnings in the country they earn it? I thought someone was suggesting recently that drivers pay tax in most countries they race in.

I didn't query that because I know an airline pilot has told me he does something similar - he doesn't pay tax in the country he lives in but pays a proportion of earnings in UK tax based on flying time over the UK. Did always sound like madness to me.
You are correct...it’s the same for most / all athletes, if you do work in that country then you have to pay tax there....

....it’s even more complicated in America where athletes usuallly have to pay tax on a state by state basis depending on where their game is!

Edited by 37chevy on Monday 19th August 06:57

95 fiesta si

859 posts

108 months

Monday 19th August 2019
quotequote all
Race 11-1 is only because Vettel punted max off, or it would be 12-0

TheDeuce

6,095 posts

22 months

Monday 19th August 2019
quotequote all
parabolica said:
Ouch.

This comparison might just end up defining Gasly's career. Could he ever get another chance in a top car now? I struggle to see what the route would be for that to happen. Even if he performs excellently at TR for the rest of this season, there would surely remain a question mark over whether he can justify a better drive at RB or anywhere else.


thegreenhell

7,144 posts

175 months

Monday 19th August 2019
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
This comparison might just end up defining Gasly's career. Could he ever get another chance in a top car now? I struggle to see what the route would be for that to happen. Even if he performs excellently at TR for the rest of this season, there would surely remain a question mark over whether he can justify a better drive at RB or anywhere else.
It's simple. Once Red Bull have tried and rejected all other eligible drivers on their books then it will be Gasly's turn again.

TheDeuce

6,095 posts

22 months

Monday 19th August 2019
quotequote all
thegreenhell said:
TheDeuce said:
This comparison might just end up defining Gasly's career. Could he ever get another chance in a top car now? I struggle to see what the route would be for that to happen. Even if he performs excellently at TR for the rest of this season, there would surely remain a question mark over whether he can justify a better drive at RB or anywhere else.
It's simple. Once Red Bull have tried and rejected all other eligible drivers on their books then it will be Gasly's turn again.
ahh...




TobyTR

858 posts

102 months

Tuesday 20th August 2019
quotequote all
768 said:
Don't they have to pay some proportion of earnings in the country they earn it? I thought someone was suggesting recently that drivers pay tax in most countries they race in.

I didn't query that because I know an airline pilot has told me he does something similar - he doesn't pay tax in the country he lives in but pays a proportion of earnings in UK tax based on flying time over the UK. Did always sound like madness to me.
Only on their point-scoring race bonuses in certain countries, some of those countries are obviously income tax-exempt still

rallycross

10,965 posts

193 months

Monday 14th October 2019
quotequote all
Albon is showing some real speed now qualifying at Suzuka with the exact same time as Max V with only limited running at a circuit that is tricky to get right and then racing to his best result of the year with a 4th place behind the 2 Mercedes and one Ferrari.

I had no idea his dad used to race in the Btcc in super touring era- here is a clip of him getting taken out at Silverstone in the early 90’s.

https://youtu.be/oTQvSbUEPcg