Fernando Alonso

Fernando Alonso

Author
Discussion

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

7,911 posts

109 months

Sunday 14th July 2019
quotequote all
Alonso will be on the phone to Ferrari after that display by Vettel laugh

Europa1

10,923 posts

146 months

Sunday 14th July 2019
quotequote all
ELUSIVEJIM said:
Alonso will be on the phone to Ferrari after that display by Vettel laugh
You may be right but Christ I hope they have him blocked on the Italian equivalent of the Telephone Preference Service. I really don't think F1 needs him back when you see the likes of Leclerc, Verstappen, Sainz Jr, Norris, Albon, Ricciardo and Gasly driving like they did today, not to mention Russell continuing to show a clean pair of heels to his team mate.

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

7,911 posts

109 months

sgtBerbatov

2,299 posts

39 months

Thursday 25th July 2019
quotequote all
ELUSIVEJIM said:
Devils advocate here, but I think Vettel could go back to Red Bull and Alonso to Ferrari next year.

TheDeuce

7,268 posts

24 months

Thursday 25th July 2019
quotequote all
sgtBerbatov said:
Devils advocate here, but I think Vettel could go back to Red Bull and Alonso to Ferrari next year.
Vettel could go back to Red Bull, I'd see that as an upgrade over Gasly. Also a better chance for Vettel to get impressive results perhaps. I'm convinced Red Bull will pay big for a good second driver next year - it would give them every chance of besting Ferrari which in PR terms is about as good as it gets. Nothing raises headlines like beating team red in a heated season - not even winning the WDC will get as many headlines for as long a period - it would be the story of the season.

Alonso back to Ferrari? If that happens I'll post a video of me slapping myself in the face with a fish. That's how much I can't see it happening at this stage smile

Edited by TheDeuce on Thursday 25th July 15:44

HTP99

17,130 posts

98 months

Thursday 25th July 2019
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
sgtBerbatov said:
Devils advocate here, but I think Vettel could go back to Red Bull and Alonso to Ferrari next year.
Vettel could go back to Red Bull, I'd see that as an upgrade over Gasly. Also a better chance for Vettel to get impressive results perhaps.

Alonso back to Ferrari? If that happens I'll post a video of me slapping myself in the face with a fish. That's how much I can't see it happening at this stage smile
Both no chance, however very, very, very, very, very small chance if Verstappen where to move on, there would be no way Vettel would go to Redbull to have his pants pulled down in mega style, by Verstappen.

TheDeuce

7,268 posts

24 months

Thursday 25th July 2019
quotequote all
HTP99 said:
Both no chance, however very, very, very, very, very small chance if Verstappen where to move on, there would be no way Vettel would go to Redbull to have his pants pulled down in mega style, by Verstappen.
I agree small chance, tiny really. Far more likely he's just going to retire - I think he's plateaued, I think he knows it and I think he's got another side of life to live now smile

Still more likely than Alonso back to Ferrari. If he comes back to F1 at all I would expect it to be for an upcoming middle team where he can, in theory, be involved in their ascendancy.

HTP99

17,130 posts

98 months

Thursday 25th July 2019
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
HTP99 said:
Both no chance, however very, very, very, very, very small chance if Verstappen where to move on, there would be no way Vettel would go to Redbull to have his pants pulled down in mega style, by Verstappen.
I agree small chance, tiny really. Far more likely he's just going to retire - I think he's plateaued, I think he knows it and I think he's got another side of life to live now smile

Still more likely than Alonso back to Ferrari. If he comes back to F1 at all I would expect it to be for an upcoming middle team where he can, in theory, be involved in their ascendancy.
My view is he will retire end of the season if things don't drastically start improving for him; can't see that happening though, unfortunately I think things will get worse for him, he's in a bad place mentally.

TheDeuce

7,268 posts

24 months

Thursday 25th July 2019
quotequote all
HTP99 said:
My view is he will retire end of the season if things don't drastically start improving for him; can't see that happening though, unfortunately I think things will get worse for him, he's in a bad place mentally.
I agree with all of that except the last bit - I don't think he's in a bad place mentally, so much as in a different place mentally. He seems unaffected, almost numb to the cost of mistakes or his 'rivals' victories. I get the impression he's just not taking F1 that seriously anymore. Wouldn't blame him, his personal life is expanding, it would be fair enough. In fact - that's the main reason I think the rumours of his retirement are not just rumours.

sgtBerbatov

2,299 posts

39 months

Friday 26th July 2019
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
HTP99 said:
My view is he will retire end of the season if things don't drastically start improving for him; can't see that happening though, unfortunately I think things will get worse for him, he's in a bad place mentally.
I agree with all of that except the last bit - I don't think he's in a bad place mentally, so much as in a different place mentally. He seems unaffected, almost numb to the cost of mistakes or his 'rivals' victories. I get the impression he's just not taking F1 that seriously anymore. Wouldn't blame him, his personal life is expanding, it would be fair enough. In fact - that's the main reason I think the rumours of his retirement are not just rumours.
I think really Vettel has never been the same since he joined Ferrari. He just seems overburdened with the politics there. He was happier at Red Bull, and I think - even for one last hurrah - he would compete with Verstappen. As in he'd be there as a mentor type of thing.

Krikkit

19,494 posts

139 months

Friday 26th July 2019
quotequote all
sgtBerbatov said:
I think really Vettel has never been the same since he joined Ferrari. He just seems overburdened with the politics there. He was happier at Red Bull, and I think - even for one last hurrah - he would compete with Verstappen. As in he'd be there as a mentor type of thing.
Total speculation, but I think Ferrari over-burden their #1 drivers.

Vettel and Alonso were both at the top of their game before heading to the red team, neither have managed more than a few years before ending up in a bit of a state.

Frimley111R

10,901 posts

192 months

Friday 26th July 2019
quotequote all
FWIW, I think Vettel is clearly good but lucked into the RB when they were dominant and had a term mate who wasn't quite as fast. However, any time he's under pressure he seems to make mistakes.

I was watching the 2011 Canadian GP where he fell of the track on the last lap and JB won (awesome!). Can you imagine many/any of the current top drivers doing that. I can't seem him recovering and if I was Ferrari and I could get Alonso....

Exige77

5,421 posts

149 months

Friday 26th July 2019
quotequote all
Frimley111R said:
FWIW, I think Vettel is clearly good but lucked into the RB when they were dominant and had a term mate who wasn't quite as fast. However, any time he's under pressure he seems to make mistakes.

I was watching the 2011 Canadian GP where he fell of the track on the last lap and JB won (awesome!). Can you imagine many/any of the current top drivers doing that. I can't seem him recovering and if I was Ferrari and I could get Alonso....
Vettel is still doing that now but the red team seem to ignore it.

Fred is not my favourite driver but it must be said he’s not one to fold under pressure.

Frimley111R

10,901 posts

192 months

Friday 26th July 2019
quotequote all
Exige77 said:
Frimley111R said:
FWIW, I think Vettel is clearly good but lucked into the RB when they were dominant and had a term mate who wasn't quite as fast. However, any time he's under pressure he seems to make mistakes.

I was watching the 2011 Canadian GP where he fell of the track on the last lap and JB won (awesome!). Can you imagine many/any of the current top drivers doing that. I can't seem him recovering and if I was Ferrari and I could get Alonso....
Vettel is still doing that now but the red team seem to ignore it.

Fred is not my favourite driver but it must be said he’s not one to fold under pressure.
I suppose he was faster than Kimi so you have to drop the slower driver and it's hard to drop a 4 x WChamp. It may be that Charlie out drives him and he moves on as he did at RB once he's been beaten. I think moving to another type of motorsport would at least allow him to keep his 'top driver' status.

FourWheelDrift

80,792 posts

242 months

Friday 26th July 2019
quotequote all
Frimley111R said:
I think moving to another type of motorsport would at least allow him to keep his 'top driver' status.
Settrington Cup racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWVk7TcKsxM

TheDeuce

7,268 posts

24 months

Friday 26th July 2019
quotequote all
Krikkit said:
Total speculation, but I think Ferrari over-burden their #1 drivers.

Vettel and Alonso were both at the top of their game before heading to the red team, neither have managed more than a few years before ending up in a bit of a state.
I think Ferrari certainly put too much weight behind their drivers - a good driver is vital of course, but so much more comes down to the overall package of car, race craft, setup that they bring to each race. Let's face it, they have made a lot of mistakes, in all areas this season and last season. In fact, compared to a team like Mercedes... for years now Ferrari have appeared pretty amateur by comparison. The best drivers on the grid aren't going to able to correct the mistakes the team keep making.

Vaud

37,671 posts

113 months

Friday 26th July 2019
quotequote all
Exige77 said:
Fred is not my favourite driver but it must be said he’s not one to fold under pressure.
Not on the racing track, instead he blocked his team mate in the pits and tried to blackmail Ron Dennis... after having significant pressure from his rookie team mate.

That's folding under pressure. He should have just proven his speed vs Hamilton.

Exige77

5,421 posts

149 months

Friday 26th July 2019
quotequote all
Vaud said:
Exige77 said:
Fred is not my favourite driver but it must be said he’s not one to fold under pressure.
Not on the racing track, instead he blocked his team mate in the pits and tried to blackmail Ron Dennis... after having significant pressure from his rookie team mate.

That's folding under pressure. He should have just proven his speed vs Hamilton.
^^^^^Yup, what he said.

That’s why he will never be my favourite. Talented but flawed.

KevinCamaroSS

8,567 posts

238 months

Friday 26th July 2019
quotequote all
Exige77 said:
Vaud said:
Exige77 said:
Fred is not my favourite driver but it must be said he’s not one to fold under pressure.
Not on the racing track, instead he blocked his team mate in the pits and tried to blackmail Ron Dennis... after having significant pressure from his rookie team mate.

That's folding under pressure. He should have just proven his speed vs Hamilton.
^^^^^Yup, what he said.

That’s why he will never be my favourite. Talented but flawed.
As was MS. This sort of behaviour is why I will always rate LH higher than either MS or FA.