China 2020

China 2020

Author
Discussion

DaveTheRave87

1,649 posts

47 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
Swapping with Sochi's the best idea for now. Wait and see then cancel in October if need be.

TheDeuce

7,293 posts

24 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
Teddy Lop said:
as someone highlighted to me the other night, it isn't just the risk to the competitors and their entourage - (although that's pretty damn important to them). Its that after a formula 1 event people will literally depart to all corners of the globe - you couldn't ask for a better virus spread model.
Probably a drop in the ocean compared with the travel already going on. I think I read that in just one day last week 1500 folk landed in the UK from China.. But that said, I know it's not the point - why make things worse just for a sporting event? Especially when it can be swapped for another - hopefully.

Also the risk to the teams and general staff, absolutely. Top it all off with a potential PR disaster if the press manage to identify even a couple of people that likely contracted the virus during the GP weekend and then flew back home. It's monumentally 'not worth it'. The only reason I can imagine for it not already being called off is that they won't make it official until they have a plan b to announce at the same time, and probably a lot of other knotty problems to solve to keep all those with a vested interest happy and in agreement with whatever the plan will be.

EDIT: see my post below, just found the article - it seems things have moved along a little quicker than we knew, with a meeting to discuss it all tomorrow.

Edited by TheDeuce on Tuesday 4th February 11:00

TheDeuce

7,293 posts

24 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
DaveTheRave87 said:
Swapping with Sochi's the best idea for now. Wait and see then cancel in October if need be.
Not according to Sotchi it isn't - I have to admit I was ready for that one.. They'd be fairly happy to stick to their planned date of course, and there is no way of forcing them: https://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/en/formula-1/r...

Also worryingly I see the same article casts a little doubt over Vietnam. Along with Horner pointing out they can't even get to China, what more is there to say?!

The meeting to discuss it all, with all parties is scheduled for tomorrow. Hopefully some official word to follow soon after.

Deesee

4,546 posts

41 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
Cant see them wanting to drop a round.. who could get this organised in 2 months, perhaps.. silverstone for 2 races, Nurburgring, Cota, Mayalsia, Istanbul Park (Please)...

thegreenhell

7,664 posts

177 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Cant see them wanting to drop a round.. who could get this organised in 2 months, perhaps.. silverstone for 2 races, Nurburgring, Cota, Mayalsia, Istanbul Park (Please)...
San Marino GP was traditionally in April, and Imola has been talking about trying to get back in F1 again...

TheDeuce

7,293 posts

24 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Cant see them wanting to drop a round.. who could get this organised in 2 months, perhaps.. silverstone for 2 races, Nurburgring, Cota, Mayalsia, Istanbul Park (Please)...
They definitely won't want to. Might have to get generous if they expect another circuit to double up or swap. I'm sure a circuit could be incentivised to play ball... In fact, why would Sotchi say yes initially when they can hold out for some form of incentive/better deal in future years etc. Cynical view perhaps, but it's big business for all involved. And to be fair, if Sotchi were to bring it forward at such late notice, ticket sales would be affected and if Liberty want to keep the full number of GP's, that is a cost they may have to consider offsetting.

Although if Vietnam also becomes a problem, which it really could, then Christ know how that one can be fixed. It's only 8 weeks away, who can get another circuit signed up and prepared in that short a time? And the problem with selling tickets at such extreme short notice?

I'll be absolutely gutted if Vietnam is cancelled. Understanding but gutted.

Deesee

4,546 posts

41 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
thegreenhell said:
Deesee said:
Cant see them wanting to drop a round.. who could get this organised in 2 months, perhaps.. silverstone for 2 races, Nurburgring, Cota, Mayalsia, Istanbul Park (Please)...
San Marino GP was traditionally in April, and Imola has been talking about trying to get back in F1 again...
that would be great...

TheDeuce

7,293 posts

24 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
thegreenhell said:
Deesee said:
Cant see them wanting to drop a round.. who could get this organised in 2 months, perhaps.. silverstone for 2 races, Nurburgring, Cota, Mayalsia, Istanbul Park (Please)...
San Marino GP was traditionally in April, and Imola has been talking about trying to get back in F1 again...
that would be great...
With 10 weeks lead time? Would that even be possible?

Deesee

4,546 posts

41 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Deesee said:
Cant see them wanting to drop a round.. who could get this organised in 2 months, perhaps.. silverstone for 2 races, Nurburgring, Cota, Mayalsia, Istanbul Park (Please)...
They definitely won't want to. Might have to get generous if they expect another circuit to double up or swap. I'm sure a circuit could be incentivised to play ball... In fact, why would Sotchi say yes initially when they can hold out for some form of incentive/better deal in future years etc. Cynical view perhaps, but it's big business for all involved. And to be fair, if Sotchi were to bring it forward at such late notice, ticket sales would be affected and if Liberty want to keep the full number of GP's, that is a cost they may have to consider offsetting.

Although if Vietnam also becomes a problem, which it really could, then Christ know how that one can be fixed. It's only 8 weeks away, who can get another circuit signed up and prepared in that short a time? And the problem with selling tickets at such extreme short notice?

I'll be absolutely gutted if Vietnam is cancelled. Understanding but gutted.
Vietnam.. the race is circa 2500 miles from Shanghai ( and Shanghai is 500 miles from Wuhan), KIV London to New York is 3500 miles.

Deesee

4,546 posts

41 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Deesee said:
thegreenhell said:
Deesee said:
Cant see them wanting to drop a round.. who could get this organised in 2 months, perhaps.. silverstone for 2 races, Nurburgring, Cota, Mayalsia, Istanbul Park (Please)...
San Marino GP was traditionally in April, and Imola has been talking about trying to get back in F1 again...
that would be great...
With 10 weeks lead time? Would that even be possible?
Its grade one listed... Its Drivable.. & its 2 hours from the wife's house!

thegreenhell

7,664 posts

177 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Deesee said:
thegreenhell said:
Deesee said:
Cant see them wanting to drop a round.. who could get this organised in 2 months, perhaps.. silverstone for 2 races, Nurburgring, Cota, Mayalsia, Istanbul Park (Please)...
San Marino GP was traditionally in April, and Imola has been talking about trying to get back in F1 again...
that would be great...
With 10 weeks lead time? Would that even be possible?
Any change to the calendar at this short notice will be a major undertaking. Arguably, it would be logistically easier to substitute a circuit that is not currently on the calendar, as then it's only one race affected and not two, but it would open up separate contractual issues, as in that scenario there would be no opening for China to hold their race later in the year.

TheDeuce

7,293 posts

24 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
thegreenhell said:
Any change to the calendar at this short notice will be a major undertaking. Arguably, it would be logistically easier to substitute a circuit that is not currently on the calendar, as then it's only one race affected and not two, but it would open up separate contractual issues, as in that scenario there would be no opening for China to hold their race later in the year.
This is my point really - it's all well and good finding a logical alternative, but a total clusterf*ck to try and get it signed up in time, the circuit ready and tickets sold. And those things couldn't even begin until a couple of weeks of legal wrangling to get the various agreements in place.

Potentially possible for sure, but it's perhaps more possible that halfway through trying, it would become clear it wasn't possible for all sorts of reasons.

vaud

37,684 posts

113 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
With 10 weeks lead time? Would that even be possible?
It does have "1" rating.

However, with safety in mind, the teams would want more time to do simulators, some tyre data, etc?

Deesee

4,546 posts

41 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
liberty strategy group are meeting tomorrow (Wednesday).

Formal announcement due Wednesday.

Uk Gov foreign and commonwealth office are advising against travel to China.

Highly likely it will be cancelled.

TheDeuce

7,293 posts

24 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Vietnam.. the race is circa 2500 miles from Shanghai ( and Shanghai is 500 miles from Wuhan), KIV London to New York is 3500 miles.
For all sorts of reasons, the distance alone doesn't tell the whole story.

But rather than go in to that, perhaps best at this stage just to keep fingers crossed that, as so often is the case, it doesn't spread anything like as badly as we're warned these things potentially can. I for one would hate to see Vietnam GP also called in to question - and more than that would hate to see anywhere else in the world having to deal with infection levels anything like that which the Chinese are dealing with.


Deesee

4,546 posts

41 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Deesee said:
Vietnam.. the race is circa 2500 miles from Shanghai ( and Shanghai is 500 miles from Wuhan), KIV London to New York is 3500 miles.
For all sorts of reasons, the distance alone doesn't tell the whole story.

But rather than go in to that, perhaps best at this stage just to keep fingers crossed that, as so often is the case, it doesn't spread anything like as badly as we're warned these things potentially can. I for one would hate to see Vietnam GP also called in to question - and more than that would hate to see anywhere else in the world having to deal with infection levels anything like that which the Chinese are dealing with.
Deuce, Australia have more confirmed cases than Vietnam...

Anyway shame if any race gets cancelled, but the health of the many is more important thumbup

TheDeuce

7,293 posts

24 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Deuce, Australia have more confirmed cases than Vietnam...

Anyway shame if any race gets cancelled, but the health of the many is more important thumbup
I'm aware of that - but it's not about the inevitability of the virus reaching a long distance away, it's about control and containment once it has. It's also about density in urban and metro areas.

Yes, key thing is peoples health and not F1. And I'd say overall I think the Vietnamese GP will go ahead, it's really normally not as bad is it potentially could be. The media have a lot to answer for! I only bought it up as I'd be gutted not to see the maiden GP there in April - and it was mentioned in the article I had linked to concerning China.

Deesee

4,546 posts

41 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
and it was mentioned in the article I had linked to concerning China.
Sorry was not aware of that, that’s poor journalism IMO.

thegreenhell

7,664 posts

177 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
Confirmed cases of the virus are doubling every five days, and all British nationals in China are now being advised by our government to leave the country. It will likely be months, not weeks, before things return to normal and travel becomes possible again.

TwentyFive

221 posts

24 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
If China does go ahead then I hope a particular brand take full advantage....

We already have the Heineken Italian GP and the Johnnie Walker Belgian GP.

I think the Corona Chinese Grand Prix has a certain ring to it!

I'll grab my coat...