China 2020

China 2020

Author
Discussion

ukaskew

6,363 posts

179 months

Friday 7th February
quotequote all
Dreaming of which circuit to add in is fun internet chat and all but with these timescales an entirely new unplanned race is never going to happen, even on a recent F1 circuit. Contracts, logistics, traffic management, tickets etc, you're talking months of planning not weeks.

I think only an existing race doubling up would stand a remote chance. But even then they'll need some very generous terms from F1 (i.e. paid to run the race, not the other way around).

I can't imagine Silverstone pulling it off, for example, and there are few better positioned to do so in theory.

Teddy Lop

3,666 posts

25 months

Friday 7th February
quotequote all
ukaskew said:
Dreaming of which circuit to add in is fun internet chat and all but with these timescales an entirely new unplanned race is never going to happen, even on a recent F1 circuit. Contracts, logistics, traffic management, tickets etc, you're talking months of planning not weeks.

I think only an existing race doubling up would stand a remote chance. But even then they'll need some very generous terms from F1 (i.e. paid to run the race, not the other way around).

I can't imagine Silverstone pulling it off, for example, and there are few better positioned to do so in theory.
I don't think being paid to run the race would be necessary - "much reduced" hosting fees leading to cheaper tickets would spark a high level of interest IMO.

As for location it'd have to be somewhere in Europe - with zandvoort 2 weeks after China they'd be tacking one on to the front of European leg so not such a logistical challenge.

Nampahc Niloc

481 posts

36 months

Friday 7th February
quotequote all
Teddy Lop said:
ukaskew said:
Dreaming of which circuit to add in is fun internet chat and all but with these timescales an entirely new unplanned race is never going to happen, even on a recent F1 circuit. Contracts, logistics, traffic management, tickets etc, you're talking months of planning not weeks.

I think only an existing race doubling up would stand a remote chance. But even then they'll need some very generous terms from F1 (i.e. paid to run the race, not the other way around).

I can't imagine Silverstone pulling it off, for example, and there are few better positioned to do so in theory.
I don't think being paid to run the race would be necessary - "much reduced" hosting fees leading to cheaper tickets would spark a high level of interest IMO.

As for location it'd have to be somewhere in Europe - with zandvoort 2 weeks after China they'd be tacking one on to the front of European leg so not such a logistical challenge.
Would screw up the club calendar (BRSCC Caterham) not that that has stopped Silverstone before (MG Live). Maybe free tickets and hospitality as compensation... (anyone from Silverstone events on here?)

Deesee

4,549 posts

41 months

Friday 7th February
quotequote all
Don’t forget with no China that’s almost whole month of no F1.

It’s 25 days the same as the summer break.

They’ll run a dark race (no fans), on a grade one circuit in Europe, or redirect the shipping to another Asian/Middle Eastern destination.

I’d give put on a show at silverstone and invite the local schools, let the kids watch F1.

I also saw this yesterday, to squeeze the GP in later, can’t see it happening through.




TheDeuce

7,293 posts

24 months

Friday 7th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Don’t forget with no China that’s almost whole month of no F1.

It’s 25 days the same as the summer break.

They’ll run a dark race (no fans), on a grade one circuit in Europe, or redirect the shipping to another Asian/Middle Eastern destination.

I’d give put on a show at silverstone and invite the local schools, let the kids watch F1.

I also saw this yesterday, to squeeze the GP in later, can’t see it happening through.



I think... Lots of possible solutions but the teams don't need to accept any of them, and history suggests they won't!

The circuits also don't appear to want any schedule changes, hardly surprising given the amount of prep and marketing they put in to an F1 event.

I think what we have ended up with is a 21 race season, and there will be a long break due to China not being feasible and no workable alternative. They probably will come up with something, some sort of F1 event to fill that gap - but not a race.

It's a little sad, but I think it is what it is. I'm sure the majority in F1 management and teams are far more eager to focus on the upcoming season than spend time trying to ressurect a single lost race.

Bas1959

553 posts

46 months

Friday 7th February
quotequote all
There has to be some doubt right now around any major sporting event in Asia.

Exige77

5,429 posts

149 months

Friday 7th February
quotequote all
Bas1959 said:
There has to be some doubt right now around any major sporting event in Asia.
Yup, Olympics in Japan in summer.

It’s still far away but they must be concerned ?

DaveTheRave87

1,649 posts

47 months

Friday 7th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Don’t forget with no China that’s almost whole month of no F1.

It’s 25 days the same as the summer break.

They’ll run a dark race (no fans), on a grade one circuit in Europe, or redirect the shipping to another Asian/Middle Eastern destination.

I’d give put on a show at silverstone and invite the local schools, let the kids watch F1.

I also saw this yesterday, to squeeze the GP in later, can’t see it happening through.



Can't see a dark race happening but wouldn't be surprised if there was extra testing somewhere in Europe that weekend.

Deesee

4,549 posts

41 months

Friday 7th February
quotequote all
DaveTheRave87 said:
Deesee said:
Don’t forget with no China that’s almost whole month of no F1.

It’s 25 days the same as the summer break.

They’ll run a dark race (no fans), on a grade one circuit in Europe, or redirect the shipping to another Asian/Middle Eastern destination.

I’d give put on a show at silverstone and invite the local schools, let the kids watch F1.

I also saw this yesterday, to squeeze the GP in later, can’t see it happening through.



Can't see a dark race happening but wouldn't be surprised if there was extra testing somewhere in Europe that weekend.
I’m sure liberty don’t want to spark any contract issues with the teams/or broadcasters.

Dark race takes away the policing, traffic and other contract issues while allowing the x billion viewers the race.

Any way just my thoughts thumbup

TheDeuce

7,293 posts

24 months

Friday 7th February
quotequote all
What's interesting now is that its pretty clear it's not happening.. yet still no official announcement. And I see they're still promoting the tickets via Google paid listings.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, probably niether the organisers nor FOM want to be the one who calls it off for fear of being the one to break contract... Both must be praying for the Chinese government to do the job for them!

Teddy Lop

3,666 posts

25 months

Friday 7th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
I also saw this yesterday, to squeeze the GP in later, can’t see it happening through.



problem with moving races around is every venue is bled dry with the hosting fees as they stand - why should they then flex to accommodate the F1s scheduling problem without some serious "what's in it for me?" discount.

vaud

37,687 posts

113 months

Friday 7th February
quotequote all
No chance of squeezing one in (certainly not moving one). Alternative would be to give them 2 next year - the Chinese GP and the "Asia GP".

TheDeuce

7,293 posts

24 months

Whitefly Swatter

1,037 posts

157 months

Saturday 8th February
quotequote all
vaud said:
No chance of squeezing one in (certainly not moving one). Alternative would be to give them 2 next year - the Chinese GP and the "Asia GP".
[Sarcasm mode on] and the points for the second race to count for the 2020 championship [sarcasm mode off]

Exige77

5,429 posts

149 months

Saturday 8th February
quotequote all
Pretty sure it will be cancelled and not replaced with anything.

There’s a lot to organise if you want to hold an unscheduled race.

Back end of the year pretty full already so would also be hard to reschedule the China GP for latter in the year.

Exige77

5,429 posts

149 months

Wednesday 12th February
quotequote all
Confirmed original date cancelled

TheDeuce

7,293 posts

24 months

Wednesday 12th February
quotequote all
Exige77 said:
Confirmed original date cancelled
Along with hopes and dreams about being rescheduled - which just won't happen.

At least it's official now so everyone involved can cancel plans etc.

Deesee

4,549 posts

41 months

Wednesday 12th February
quotequote all
Exige77 said:
Confirmed original date cancelled
..

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.chinese...

TheDeuce

7,293 posts

24 months

Wednesday 12th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Exige77 said:
Confirmed original date cancelled
..

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.chinese...
They use the word 'postponed' but they definitely mean cancelled wink

Which is fine. Nothing wrong with a bit of positive spin.

dh00065p

81 posts

122 months

Wednesday 12th February
quotequote all
Presumably that now means that Ferrari’s 1000th Grand Prix will be Azerbaijan rather than Monaco.
Not really what they would have wished for I suppose.