F1 cancelled this year?

F1 cancelled this year?

Author
Discussion

Thundersports

447 posts

100 months

Tuesday 7th April
quotequote all
Double headers might work at some circuits like Silverstone with there different layouts available?

ajprice

17,741 posts

151 months

sc0tt

16,934 posts

156 months

Tuesday 7th April
quotequote all
ajprice said:
I had canada booked return and then ascot. Bad day for my plans. First world problems i know.

ukaskew

5,900 posts

176 months

Tuesday 7th April
quotequote all
Thundersports said:
Double headers might work at some circuits like Silverstone with there different layouts available?
A race on 'Silverstone reverse' was suggested but I'd be amazed if that was even remotely feasible. As far as I'm aware the circuit has no design concessions to be reconfigured 'the wrong way' so things like run-off, armco, emergency access points etc would all need to be significantly reworked (and FIA approval required). It would take months even if it was feasible, certainly couldn't be turned around with a week between races.

Clockwork Cupcake

63,762 posts

227 months

Tuesday 7th April
quotequote all
ukaskew said:
Thundersports said:
Double headers might work at some circuits like Silverstone with there different layouts available?
A race on 'Silverstone reverse' was suggested but I'd be amazed if that was even remotely feasible. As far as I'm aware the circuit has no design concessions to be reconfigured 'the wrong way' so things like run-off, armco, emergency access points etc would all need to be significantly reworked (and FIA approval required). It would take months even if it was feasible, certainly couldn't be turned around with a week between races.
Silverstone can be configured in several ways. As can many circuits. None of those configurations involve driving in a reverse direction though.



TheDeuce

5,786 posts

21 months

Tuesday 7th April
quotequote all
What would be wrong with simply repeating the GP on the same circuit, with no changes? In many ways it would be facsinating to see how minor chages, such as the weather and driver mistakes can influence a race.

I can't see a way we could lose as viewers personally. If the results for the top 3 are identical on both GP's then we get proof absolute that the right people ended in the right places. On the other hand, and as is more likely, we would see just how much fortune and circumstance effect the order.

Would such a crazy thing ever happen? Probably not smile

Although.. If Liberty lawyers determine that they can demand their full rights monies if they can find a contrived way to technically deliver a championship with whatever number races they promise to deliver as a minimum, then this and any of the other solutions on this thread could be considered. Depends who is motivated and by what amount of £££.

thegreenhell

7,024 posts

174 months

Tuesday 7th April
quotequote all
If they went to Silverstone on two separate days in autumn they're almost guaranteed two different types of weather to give them some variation.

Running the track in reverse will never happen. You only have to look at the runoffs to see that. It would be a huge job to rebuild the circuit for that.

jsf

17,212 posts

191 months

Tuesday 7th April
quotequote all
Thundersports said:
Double headers might work at some circuits like Silverstone with there different layouts available?
Only 1 layout is FIA graded for F1

sparta6

1,843 posts

55 months

Wednesday 8th April
quotequote all
ukaskew said:
A race on 'Silverstone reverse' was suggested but I'd be amazed if that was even remotely feasible. As far as I'm aware the circuit has no design concessions to be reconfigured 'the wrong way' so things like run-off, armco, emergency access points etc would all need to be significantly reworked (and FIA approval required). It would take months even if it was feasible, certainly couldn't be turned around with a week between races.
Certainly the case.
Also medical professionals will still be busy dealing with the China virus

Kraken

1,434 posts

155 months

Wednesday 8th April
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Although.. If Liberty lawyers determine that they can demand their full rights monies if they can find a contrived way to technically deliver a championship with whatever number races they promise to deliver as a minimum, then this and any of the other solutions on this thread could be considered. Depends who is motivated and by what amount of £££.
15 is the magic number. Anything below that and they have to start paying back on the TV contracts pro rata.

Shelsleyf2

364 posts

187 months

Wednesday 8th April
quotequote all
ukaskew said:
Thundersports said:
Double headers might work at some circuits like Silverstone with there different layouts available?
A race on 'Silverstone reverse' was suggested but I'd be amazed if that was even remotely feasible. As far as I'm aware the circuit has no design concessions to be reconfigured 'the wrong way' so things like run-off, armco, emergency access points etc would all need to be significantly reworked (and FIA approval required). It would take months even if it was feasible, certainly couldn't be turned around with a week between races.
I doubt it has an FIA licence to be used in reverse.

df76

2,389 posts

233 months

Wednesday 8th April
quotequote all
Shelsleyf2 said:
I doubt it has an FIA licence to be used in reverse.
It won't have any sort of licence.

A circuit like Abu Dhabi has multiple configurations which I'm sure could get the right licence. However, can't see them doing it.

rider73

695 posts

32 months

Wednesday 8th April
quotequote all
in reverse... gear!!! now that would be a funny race.....

cuprabob

8,966 posts

169 months

Wednesday 8th April
quotequote all
rider73 said:
in reverse... gear!!! now that would be a funny race.....
That would maybe give Grosjean an distinct advantage as he has a fair bit of experience going backwards.

df76

2,389 posts

233 months

Thursday 9th April
quotequote all
Autosport today reports that Silverstone will offer to host more than one GP this year. There was even a comment about running in reverse (or not!).

BrettMRC

1,523 posts

115 months

Thursday 9th April
quotequote all
How long does a race have to be in order for it to count towards the chamopinship?

Might be interesting to have a shorter race on the saturday and a full race on the sunday. (not a qualifying race)

Eric Mc

111,636 posts

220 months

Thursday 9th April
quotequote all
BrettMRC said:
How long does a race have to be in order for it to count towards the chamopinship?

Might be interesting to have a shorter race on the saturday and a full race on the sunday. (not a qualifying race)
Minimum 300 km.

It used to be 500 km.

BrettMRC

1,523 posts

115 months

Thursday 9th April
quotequote all
Thanks for that - was rushed earlier so didn't get a chance to research it. (or spell)


REALIST123

13,563 posts

108 months

Thursday 9th April
quotequote all
BrettMRC said:
How long does a race have to be in order for it to count towards the chamopinship?

Might be interesting to have a shorter race on the saturday and a full race on the sunday. (not a qualifying race)
It recently was 305km, subject to 2 hours maximum, except for Monaco which is shorter.


df76

2,389 posts

233 months

Thursday 9th April
quotequote all
Race needs to be at least 75% of the original length to award full points. There’s going to be some wriggle room given the circumstance.