Lewis Hamilton (Vol. 2)

Lewis Hamilton (Vol. 2)

Author
Discussion

MarkwG

3,368 posts

161 months

Sunday 21st November
quotequote all
Bo_apex said:
MarkwG said:
Bo_apex said:
Pugaris said:
None of these names are the best ever in their given sport.

Chris Eubank wasn't even the best middleweight in the world at his peak.

The only person here comparable to Hamilton's level of dominance is Stephen Hendry.
Tina Turner disagrees with you.

Fury is unbeaten so is better that Hamilton

biggrin
Only 32 fights, though, barely a season & a half of F1 wink
"Only 32 fights"
I see you've never been a pro boxer wink

And there's no way Rosberg would whip Fury's ass
No interest in boxing at all: I know just enough to realise Fury wouldn't fit in the car, though...

Bo_apex

1,531 posts

190 months

Monday 22nd November
quotequote all
vdn said:
Muzzer79 said:
Have we really reached the depths of trying to de-value Hamilton’s achievements by comparing Formula One motor racing with boxing?

confused

Hang on, I’ll join in…..Lionel Messi clearly isn’t the greatest footballer because he doesn’t have the same win record as Ronnie O’Sullivan does in snooker. rolleyes
rofl

That's Bo for you. Sharp as a tack!
Running gag starting around Des Lynam.
Seems it flew over your head wink


playamonte

12 posts

1 month

Monday 22nd November
quotequote all
Now and again I watch Hamiltons early career in karts that are available on YouTube just to remind myself how good he is & has been from day 1.
Is he the G.O.A.T, well he is certainly up there in the running and the line up is few in number, but time will tell.

swisstoni

11,867 posts

251 months

Monday 22nd November
quotequote all
playamonte said:
Now and again I watch Hamiltons early career in karts that are available on YouTube just to remind myself how good he is & has been from day 1.
Is he the G.O.A.T, well he is certainly up there in the running and the line up is few in number, but time will tell.
When I watch a racing car driven by Hamilton you can always tell it’s him. The car has a certain attitude to it.
Hard to explain.
I could always tell a car driven by Mansell for similar reasons.

macdeb

7,961 posts

227 months

Monday 22nd November
quotequote all
swisstoni said:
playamonte said:
Now and again I watch Hamiltons early career in karts that are available on YouTube just to remind myself how good he is & has been from day 1.
Is he the G.O.A.T, well he is certainly up there in the running and the line up is few in number, but time will tell.
When I watch a racing car driven by Hamilton you can always tell it’s him. The car has a certain attitude to it.
Hard to explain.
I could always tell a car driven by Mansell for similar reasons.
^^^^ yes I so hope he takes the title this year as he has had to compete against two major teams. Red Bull and the FIA. Go Lewis!!.

Pugaris

873 posts

16 months

Monday 22nd November
quotequote all
vdn said:
Fury and Hamilton are both supreme and sport defining talents. Kudos to them both.
Hamilton has achieved so much more, though. I think it's about time some people starting giving him the credit he's due.

Hamilton is in the conversation for the greatest ever F1 driver, along with 2 or 3 more names.

There are brackets of greatness in sports and Hamilton is several above Fury.

You've got the rarest of the rare - people who are the undisputed GOAT of their sport. Michael Jordan, Don Bradman, Usain Bolt, Serena Williams. People who are pretty much universally recognised as the greatest ever in their sport.

Then you've got the bracket Hamilton is in - people who are in the discussion for the GOAT but there's dispute. In boxing, that's not Tyson Fury it's Muhammed Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson. For F1 it's Hamilton, Schumacher, Fangio and Clarke. Football? Messi, Ronaldo, Pele and Maradona.

Then you have people who were the greatest in their era but definitely not of all time, Tyson Fury still isn't in this bracket - he's not proven himself to be the greatest HW boxer of his generation and he's definitely not the greatest of his era across all weight divisions. Canelo, Usyk and Ward are well ahead of him there and from the era just before Fury isn't on Mayweather or Pacqiauo's level.

Below that, you've got people like Fury.

Edited by Pugaris on Monday 22 November 15:14

playamonte

12 posts

1 month

Monday 22nd November
quotequote all
Pugaris said:
Hamilton has achieved so much more, though. I think it's about time some people starting giving him the credit he's due.

Hamilton is in the conversation for the greatest ever F1 driver, along with 2 or 3 more names.



Then you've got the bracket Hamilton is in - people who are in the discussion for the GOAT but there's dispute. In boxing, that's not Tyson Fury it's Muhammed Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson. For F1 it's Hamilton, Schumacher, Fangio and Clarke. Football? Messi, Ronaldo, Pele and Maradona.


Below that, you've got people like Fury.

Edited by Pugaris on Monday 22 November 15:14
I used to be a Schumacher fan until the day he decided to take Hills championship for himself, for me (and many others so I read) that was the last straw as none of the others would (IMO) stoop to that level.

Bo_apex

1,531 posts

190 months

Monday 22nd November
quotequote all
Pugaris said:
vdn said:
Fury and Hamilton are both supreme and sport defining talents. Kudos to them both.
Hamilton has achieved so much more, though. I think it's about time some people starting giving him the credit he's due.

Hamilton is in the conversation for the greatest ever F1 driver, along with 2 or 3 more names.

There are brackets of greatness in sports and Hamilton is several above Fury.

You've got the rarest of the rare - people who are the undisputed GOAT of their sport. Michael Jordan, Don Bradman, Usain Bolt, Serena Williams. People who are pretty much universally recognised as the greatest ever in their sport.

Then you've got the bracket Hamilton is in - people who are in the discussion for the GOAT but there's dispute. In boxing, that's not Tyson Fury it's Muhammed Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson. For F1 it's Hamilton, Schumacher, Fangio and Clarke. Football? Messi, Ronaldo, Pele and Maradona.

Then you have people who were the greatest in their era but definitely not of all time, Tyson Fury still isn't in this bracket - he's not proven himself to be the greatest HW boxer of his generation and he's definitely not the greatest of his era across all weight divisions. Canelo, Usyk and Ward are well ahead of him there and from the era just before Fury isn't on Mayweather or Pacqiauo's level.

Below that, you've got people like Fury.

Edited by Pugaris on Monday 22 November 15:14
Fury is 32 wins with 0 losses. Where is Joshua ?

I must've missed the Mayweather / Pacman heavyweight fights.


Siao

185 posts

12 months

Monday 22nd November
quotequote all
BlackPrince said:
Siao said:

But I do not like his personality outside the track (and one doesn't have to really, I watch F1 for the driving, not taking any of these guys out for a beer), so what does that make me? A hater? Or an anti? Of course not, that would be daft. I only judge his driving when talking about him in the F1 frame.

And I think this is the difference. People cannot distinguish between the 2. Fanboys find everything great, haters just hate him all the same. I guess I am an anomaly, maybe smile
and what personality is that, in your view?
What a weird comment. What do you mean? It's whatever info we get from the media. I do not personally know the guy nor any other driver.

Pugaris

873 posts

16 months

Monday 22nd November
quotequote all
Bo_apex said:
Fury is 32 wins with 0 losses. Where is Joshua ?

I must've missed the Mayweather / Pacman heavyweight fights.
Fury won't confirm himself as the best HW of his generation until he fights Usyk.

Even if he does beat him, that would only make him the best HW of his generation, boxing has other weight classes and he's nowhere near the biggest star or the best boxer of his generation.

Hamilton is the best F1 driver of his generation no doubt and he's possibly the best of all time. It's insulting to compare the 2 of them.

Also unbeaten records in boxing require the context of who they've fought. There are worse boxers than Fury who have gone 30 odd fights unbeaten and there are better ones with losses on their records.

CustardOnChips

1,854 posts

34 months

Monday 22nd November
quotequote all
Fury being compared to Lewis laugh

That’s nearly as funny as the comment about Tiger not being in the conversation.

Lewis and Tiger are in a different stratosphere in their respective sports compared to Fury.

LostM135idriver

414 posts

3 months

Monday 22nd November
quotequote all
If I wanted to see people thumping each other I’d go and watch BTCC.

PS have you ever tried custard on chips?

Edited by LostM135idriver on Monday 22 November 19:49

CustardOnChips

1,854 posts

34 months

Monday 22nd November
quotequote all
LostM135idriver said:
PS have you ever tried custard on chips?
I have, and it is surprisingly delicious. Hence the username.

MustangGT

9,195 posts

252 months

Tuesday 23rd November
quotequote all
macdeb said:
^^^^ yes I so hope he takes the title this year as he has had to compete against two major teams. Red Bull and the FIA. Go Lewis!!.
Indeed, mind you he has already done that in 2008 so has the necessary experience smile

jimPH

2,782 posts

52 months

Tuesday 23rd November
quotequote all
MarkwG said:
saaby93 said:
hot metal said:
John Watson, Long Beach 1983, won from 22nd
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhvkrgTXQR4
A hell of a race, but only 11 cars actually finished in one piece, although 13 were categorised: almost half had retired by lap 48 . Contrast with last Sunday, 18 finished, with all still running until lap 47. Both great achievements anyway.
Perez was last on lap 7 at the Sakhir Grand Prix, 2020 and won in a racing point.

RB Will

7,449 posts

212 months

Tuesday 23rd November
quotequote all
What if it was like father like son?


oyster

10,751 posts

220 months

Tuesday 23rd November
quotequote all
playamonte said:
Pugaris said:
Hamilton has achieved so much more, though. I think it's about time some people starting giving him the credit he's due.

Hamilton is in the conversation for the greatest ever F1 driver, along with 2 or 3 more names.



Then you've got the bracket Hamilton is in - people who are in the discussion for the GOAT but there's dispute. In boxing, that's not Tyson Fury it's Muhammed Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson. For F1 it's Hamilton, Schumacher, Fangio and Clarke. Football? Messi, Ronaldo, Pele and Maradona.


Below that, you've got people like Fury.

Edited by Pugaris on Monday 22 November 15:14
I used to be a Schumacher fan until the day he decided to take Hills championship for himself, for me (and many others so I read) that was the last straw as none of the others would (IMO) stoop to that level.
Of a 19-year F1 career, the clash was in only his 4th season - can’t exactly say you wereca lifelong fan before that moment!

oyster

10,751 posts

220 months

Tuesday 23rd November
quotequote all
Maybe just me, but Hamilton and Alonso looked a little frosty on the Podium in Qatar. Lewis appeared more chatty with Max.

Like I said, maybe just the way the C4 highlights showed it.

RB Will

7,449 posts

212 months

Tuesday 23rd November
quotequote all
Well aren’t you a charmer

LostM135idriver

414 posts

3 months

Wednesday 24th November
quotequote all
Interesting article/interview about LH’s approach: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-i-want...

He mentions understanding the psychology of his competitors in order to understand how/why they’ll race on track.

Can you say attention to detail?