Croft has to go

Croft has to go

Author
Discussion

C70R

13,873 posts

89 months

Sunday 20th November 2022
quotequote all
Adrian W said:
How can he spout so much rubbish, he was just screaming gibberish, we are all watching DR and SV 100 metres between them and he’s commentating on a different imaginary race
Sky have very clearly told him to dial up the hype when the races are dull. Imaginary battles are his specialty.

Teddy Lop

7,143 posts

52 months

Sunday 20th November 2022
quotequote all
Adrian W said:
How can he spout so much rubbish, he was just screaming gibberish, we are all watching DR and SV 100 metres between them and he’s commentating on a different imaginary race
Last week's new tyres being stickier than a very sticky stick that's sticky or whatever inane drivel he was spouting did for me. It's just condescending.

Got F1TV pro for £6.99 for a one month pass, very pleased actually. Commentary team follow the action far better and read developing situations, talk like adults that aren't addressing a summer camp for hyperactive children, and also use split screens when they want to focus on something the director isn't, such as the inevitable start replays that always play over some live track action. Didn't even miss brundles input (which has been waning anyway, I think working with croft has destroyed him).

So it'll be goodbye sky I think, guess I'll pointedly cite croft if they ask why;). Discovery app will give me Eurosport for bikes and other stuff and I'm wondering if I should bother with a Freesat DVR or go full web


LukeBrown66

3,514 posts

31 months

Sunday 20th November 2022
quotequote all
After being a fierce critic of him for years, actually watched a race complete today for the first time in ages, with a mate who loves it to bits and the muppet was bearable today, it was not a great race obviously so he did not need to get shouty but there was enough going on for him not to stat drop every second.

Just wish he could do that every time really, all he needs to do is inform, nothing more. You get the impression he knows people, so tell us a story now and then?

C70R

13,873 posts

89 months

Monday 21st November 2022
quotequote all
LukeBrown66 said:
After being a fierce critic of him for years, actually watched a race complete today for the first time in ages, with a mate who loves it to bits and the muppet was bearable today, it was not a great race obviously so he did not need to get shouty but there was enough going on for him not to stat drop every second.

Just wish he could do that every time really, all he needs to do is inform, nothing more. You get the impression he knows people, so tell us a story now and then?
I thought you didn't watch F1?

Daston

5,978 posts

188 months

Monday 21st November 2022
quotequote all
Teddy Lop said:
Got F1TV pro for £6.99 for a one month pass, very pleased actually. Commentary team follow the action far better and read developing situations, talk like adults that aren't addressing a summer camp for hyperactive children, and also use split screens when they want to focus on something the director isn't, such as the inevitable start replays that always play over some live track action. Didn't even miss brundles input (which has been waning anyway, I think working with croft has destroyed him).
This is what I am thinking of doing too, I have motorsportTV for WEC/Le Mans stuff and the only other sport I watch is the NFL which I beleive Channel 5 has also picked up.

I take it the F1 app uploads past races etc to stream in case you miss it live

LukeBrown66

3,514 posts

31 months

Monday 21st November 2022
quotequote all
C70 for godness sake add something instead of digging at people, dear me.

LukeBrown66

3,514 posts

31 months

Monday 21st November 2022
quotequote all
C70 for godness sake add something instead of digging at people, dear me.

I explained why if you actually can read

C70R

13,873 posts

89 months

Monday 21st November 2022
quotequote all
LukeBrown66 said:
C70 for godness sake add something instead of digging at people, dear me.

I explained why if you actually can read
What an utter wally you are. laugh

LukeBrown66

3,514 posts

31 months

Monday 21st November 2022
quotequote all
Again, add something or be reported, if you dont add to thread with something useful other than mickey taking, it serves no purpose other than to give you a boner. And try and get likes form like minded people, go on social media if you want that tripe.

Gary C

10,646 posts

164 months

Monday 21st November 2022
quotequote all
C70R said:
Sky have very clearly told him to dial up the hype when the races are dull. Imaginary battles are his specialty.
Unfortunately, I think this is the nub of the problem.


CoolHands

16,398 posts

180 months

Monday 21st November 2022
quotequote all
Brainpox said:
Just described Lewis as a sleeping praying mantis for some reason. Imagine paying someone to say things like that.
I don’t watch sky but this thread does provide a good laugh. The only time I hear him is on youtube clips which is bad enough.

Adrian W

Original Poster:

13,055 posts

213 months

Wednesday 25th January
quotequote all
Herbert and DiResta go, but somehow Croft stays, he must have a drawer full of dodgy pictures from the Sky Christmas party

Naomi Schiff Job seems to be safe

Edited by Adrian W on Wednesday 25th January 22:59

Adrian W

Original Poster:

13,055 posts

213 months

Thursday 26th January
quotequote all
According to the clickbait press they both quit

LukeBrown66

3,514 posts

31 months

Thursday 26th January
quotequote all
Di resta will be gone due to his Peugeot WEC commitments I would think.

Herbert, let's be honest weakest link, great fun guy but you cant always be the joker, but there are 14 bloody people on the jolly, it is a bit pathetic.

And Croft, well as I have said, like Carlton Kirby he must either be related or have dirt on someone as he is one of the worst commentators sport has ever known. And I include Legard in that,

patmahe

5,583 posts

189 months

Thursday 26th January
quotequote all
LukeBrown66 said:
Di resta will be gone due to his Peugeot WEC commitments I would think.

Herbert, let's be honest weakest link, great fun guy but you cant always be the joker, but there are 14 bloody people on the jolly, it is a bit pathetic.

And Croft, well as I have said, like Carlton Kirby he must either be related or have dirt on someone as he is one of the worst commentators sport has ever known. And I include Legard in that,
I've been watching some classic races over the winter and the thing that struck me about the commentary is that it was done by people who were genuine fans, enthusiasts of the sport so you didn't mind the odd slip up from Murray or James Hunt losing his mind over some backmarker getting in the way because it was like you were watching the race with a well informed friend. I remember when Jake Humphrey was working for the BBC he knew next to nothing starting off but, made no secret of it and was keen to learn so we took him to our hearts.

The problem with David Croft is that even though he is doing the job for a decade now (looked it up) he clearly has very little feel or passion for the sport itself, he seems to like being on TV and hanging around with famous people and also likes pointless infuriating stats. That doesn't make for a good commentator in my book.

Sky need to find a knowledgeable enthusiast who can talk at a normal volume and educate the audience. Can't be that hard can it?



Bowser87

937 posts

168 months

Thursday 26th January
quotequote all
Also likes talking an awful lot, often times when no comment is necessary or adds any value to the experience whatsoever

LukeBrown66

3,514 posts

31 months

Thursday 26th January
quotequote all
I feel he is not necessarily a motorsport fan, but he will sell his soul to anything linked to it, he is simply a person who does a job, he has to know about it, basically was not a fan as a kid and that comes across as all he really does is make pathetic jokes to try and appear funny and roll out end less and pointless stats, probably given to him by some office junior.

This is what happens when you give a sports commentator a job where knowledge is key, he has none and appears to have learned very little in all his time here, this comes across as a man who does not necessarily feel the sport as fans do, I am not as much of a fan as I was, and he is PART of that reason, he is so woeful it puts me off watching, much like Carlton Kirby did wit the stuff he did.

Some people can ignore this, I wish I could, I dislike watching sport on mute but will do if necessary, I can watch sports I really like with foreign comms if it means I can watch it for nothing (another debate).

Murray was a fan, he was over excited, that put some people off but you could never doubt it was real. Everything about Croft comes across as fake apart from his belly and his desire to be liked and part of a club he really has no place in.