Official 2020 Eifel Grand Prix Thread **SPOILERS**

Official 2020 Eifel Grand Prix Thread **SPOILERS**

Author
Discussion

Deesee

4,532 posts

41 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
ajprice said:
Which of the 5 tyre grades C1-C5 are they using for soft/medium/hard?
C2 / C3 / C4

Sets 2 / 3 / 8

Mr Pointy

6,360 posts

117 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
Deesee said:
ajprice said:
Which of the 5 tyre grades C1-C5 are they using for soft/medium/hard?
C2 / C3 / C4
Sets 2 / 3 / 8
When they changed/simplified the tyre naming I said we'd all get confused but was shouted down. Now there's endless talk about the soft at this race being the medium from last & so on.

HustleRussell

18,466 posts

118 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
Mr Pointy said:
Deesee said:
ajprice said:
Which of the 5 tyre grades C1-C5 are they using for soft/medium/hard?
C2 / C3 / C4
Sets 2 / 3 / 8
When they changed/simplified the tyre naming I said we'd all get confused but was shouted down. Now there's endless talk about the soft at this race being the medium from last & so on.
Who’s confused?

C350Akra

8,567 posts

238 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
HustleRussell said:
Mr Pointy said:
Deesee said:
ajprice said:
Which of the 5 tyre grades C1-C5 are they using for soft/medium/hard?
C2 / C3 / C4
Sets 2 / 3 / 8
When they changed/simplified the tyre naming I said we'd all get confused but was shouted down. Now there's endless talk about the soft at this race being the medium from last & so on.
Who’s confused?
You have to admit that to potentially have three different names for the same tyre compound (C3 can be soft, medium or hard) is a tad ridiculous. Why not just stick with C1, C2 etc?

JonChalk

3,534 posts

68 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
Deesee said:
C2 / C3 / C4

Sets 2 / 3 / 8
My gut says those are1 tyre too hard.

But I guess nothing will work, if the weathers crap. Go softer and take the C1 and it will cold-grain to st. Go harder and take the C5 and no one will use it.

There’s really no way to tell what the tyres will do - what’s the coldest track temp seen in the Pirelli era?

vaud

Original Poster:

37,671 posts

113 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
JonChalk said:
My gut says those are1 tyre too hard.

But I guess nothing will work, if the weathers crap. Go softer and take the C1 and it will cold-grain to st. Go harder and take the C5 and no one will use it.

There’s really no way to tell what the tyres will do - what’s the coldest track temp seen in the Pirelli era?
https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/236406/no-extra...

Freezing?

HustleRussell

18,466 posts

118 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
C350Akra said:
HustleRussell said:
Mr Pointy said:
Deesee said:
ajprice said:
Which of the 5 tyre grades C1-C5 are they using for soft/medium/hard?
C2 / C3 / C4
Sets 2 / 3 / 8
When they changed/simplified the tyre naming I said we'd all get confused but was shouted down. Now there's endless talk about the soft at this race being the medium from last & so on.
Who’s confused?
You have to admit that to potentially have three different names for the same tyre compound (C3 can be soft, medium or hard) is a tad ridiculous. Why not just stick with C1, C2 etc?
The way I see it, the system is working exactly as intended- casual viewers who may dip into the sport occasionally or on a one-off basis have a consistent and easy to understand colour coded system Hard / Medium / Soft, and more geeky fans can find out whether that's a C1, C2 etc.

As a geeky viewer I have no problem with having to do the extra step of looking at C1, C2 etc as I think the benefit to casual viewers and therefore the sport as a whole is worthwhile

Prime / Option was crap, I was much younger and less geeky then and only recently have I learned which was which. The Pirelli rainbow tyres were rubbish especially when they changed it around and we had the Orange 'Superhard' and the Purple and Pink 'Ultrasoft' and 'hypersoft', Christ knows who signed that off, no reason nor rhyme!

JonChalk

3,534 posts

68 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
vaud said:
JonChalk said:
My gut says those are1 tyre too hard.

But I guess nothing will work, if the weathers crap. Go softer and take the C1 and it will cold-grain to st. Go harder and take the C5 and no one will use it.

There’s really no way to tell what the tyres will do - what’s the coldest track temp seen in the Pirelli era?
https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/236406/no-extra...

Freezing?
Fair enough, I probably should have been more explicit - what’s the coldest race track temp? Not practice or quali, but race?

vaud

Original Poster:

37,671 posts

113 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
JonChalk said:
Fair enough, I probably should have been more explicit - what’s the coldest race track temp? Not practice or quali, but race?
Canada 1978 according to F1 records at -5c.

Someone on reddit mentioned a more recent Canadian race (in the last 10 years) that was 8c but I can't find it.

Deesee

4,532 posts

41 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
I’m not replying to that lot.. hehe how can a soft be a hard biglaugh

Hope this helps..


Deesee

4,532 posts

41 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
Track tyre info..



Asphalt grip ... negative... come on VB..

Deg.. negative as well hehe could be down to canvasses, I may have been wrong about the blistering..

JonChalk

3,534 posts

68 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
vaud said:
Canada 1978 according to F1 records at -5c.

Someone on reddit mentioned a more recent Canadian race (in the last 10 years) that was 8c but I can't find it.
Wow - that would be funny! -5!

I genuinely think Northern Europe at this time of year is a mistake - a number of Italian and French circuits available. Double header at Turkey.

This may end up making F1 look silly.

Alright......sillier.

vaud

Original Poster:

37,671 posts

113 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
JonChalk said:
Wow - that would be funny! -5!

I genuinely think Northern Europe at this time of year is a mistake - a number of Italian and French circuits available. Double header at Turkey.

This may end up making F1 look silly.

Alright......sillier.
I don't know, I'm quite enjoying this season.

HustleRussell

18,466 posts

118 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
Deesee said:
I’m not replying to that lot.. hehe how can a soft be a hard biglaugh

Hope this helps..

If it is relatively harder than the two other available tyres, which are softer.

Hope this helps

TheDeuce

7,268 posts

24 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
JonChalk said:
Wow - that would be funny! -5!

I genuinely think Northern Europe at this time of year is a mistake - a number of Italian and French circuits available. Double header at Turkey.

This may end up making F1 look silly.

Alright......sillier.
It'd be a bit risky anywhere in Europe from this point on. But for us, all good surely? We already know who finishes where in championship terms so I'm happy to bring in the weather drama. Might be a tad annoyed if a race is actually cancelled of course.. I accept that could happen though.

Rain screwing up a few practice or quali sessions could be great for the race.

Deesee

4,532 posts

41 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
HustleRussell said:
Deesee said:
I’m not replying to that lot.. hehe how can a soft be a hard biglaugh

Hope this helps..

If it is relatively harder than the two other available tyres, which are softer.

Hope this helps
& you’ve added nothing to the debate, well done, I did (somehow) expect better..

JonChalk

3,534 posts

68 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
vaud said:
JonChalk said:
Wow - that would be funny! -5!

I genuinely think Northern Europe at this time of year is a mistake - a number of Italian and French circuits available. Double header at Turkey.

This may end up making F1 look silly.

Alright......sillier.
I don't know, I'm quite enjoying this season.
Yes, I realise my phrasing was ambiguous. I’m enjoying the wackiness (looking forwards to the daft Bahrain race especially).

What I meant was that entertaining though it is, there’s no way the teams will sign up for any of these bonkers options long term and subsequent seasons will return to “normal”. Despite that fact that for fans, the disruption has been good fun.

HustleRussell

18,466 posts

118 months

Monday 5th October
quotequote all
Deesee said:
HustleRussell said:
Deesee said:
I’m not replying to that lot.. hehe how can a soft be a hard biglaugh

Hope this helps..

If it is relatively harder than the two other available tyres, which are softer.

Hope this helps
& you’ve added nothing to the debate, well done, I did (somehow) expect better..
Oh dear! I must be the first person on PH to have been deemed not to have added anything constructive to a debate!

BrettMRC

1,768 posts

118 months

Tuesday 6th October
quotequote all
The arguments are for after the race....

F1GTRUeno

4,651 posts

176 months

Tuesday 6th October
quotequote all
ch37 said:
ash73 said:
Puts today's F1 in perspective frown
Indeed, red flag if a tear off visor strip lands on the track these days!
Because of what happened to Bianchi I'd rather they were over-cautious.

Watching Liuizzi collide (albeit gently) with the tractor does not a good race make.

Current F1 has absolutely shown that in changeable conditions like the above race you still have great racing but at least they don't do things by halves with safety when cars are sliding off the track in wet weather.