Haas chose Russiaโ€™s Nikita Mazepin

Haas chose Russiaโ€™s Nikita Mazepin

Author
Discussion

Sandpit Steve

2,759 posts

39 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
StevieBee said:
Wasn't there some Israeli bloke who drove for Minardi who was something like 12 seconds a lap off the pace of the next slowest car?

Others I can think of would include Giovanna Amati, Luca Badoer, Alex Yoong - I'm sure there's been many others.
Yep, the 107% rule was bought in for good reasons. Mazepin isn’t even close, his qualifying time last weekend was something like 102.3%. It’s actually a testament to F1 that we notice him as being so slow, by historical standards he really isn’t that bad at all.

vaud

40,122 posts

120 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
StevieBee said:
Wasn't there some Israeli bloke who drove for Minardi who was something like 12 seconds a lap off the pace of the next slowest car?

Others I can think of would include Giovanna Amati, Luca Badoer, Alex Yoong - I'm sure there's been many others.
He was okay in the Formula 2000 Hungarian National Championship wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanoch_Nissany

LaurasOtherHalf

19,821 posts

161 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
I think there's a little hyperbole around him at the moment.

Yes the guy's a prick. No he's not the next Hamilton or Vertappen but he finished in a respectable position in F2 even if it wasn't through respectable driving.

He's basically a less likeable version of Dan Ticktum, if such a thing exists.

Is his percentage gap to is team-mate worse than Ricciardo's to Norris? Bottas' to Hamilton's? Whoever Red Bull shoe into the other seat v's Verstappen?

Don't answer that come to think of it-I don't really care. I do care if he does something stupid who puts someone else at risk but he's yet to do that. Let him get on with it.








(no I haven't been scared by the Ruski Mafia into typing this. Just don't touch my front door knob eh?)


TheDeuce

9,108 posts

31 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
LaurasOtherHalf said:
I think there's a little hyperbole around him at the moment.

Yes the guy's a prick. No he's not the next Hamilton or Vertappen but he finished in a respectable position in F2 even if it wasn't through respectable driving.

He's basically a less likeable version of Dan Ticktum, if such a thing exists.

Is his percentage gap to is team-mate worse than Ricciardo's to Norris? Bottas' to Hamilton's? Whoever Red Bull shoe into the other seat v's Verstappen?

Don't answer that come to think of it-I don't really care. I do care if he does something stupid who puts someone else at risk but he's yet to do that. Let him get on with it.








(no I haven't been scared by the Ruski Mafia into typing this. Just don't touch my front door knob eh?)
He was ok in F2, not anything special. Did he do anything in F2 to suggest he could and should be an F1 driver?

The comparison to MS isn't really the whole story either. in some sessions it's true that he's not massively behind, but as he approaches MS level of pace, his own likelihood of making some sort of mistake seems to increase exponentially. Which is best, being a second a lap down on your team mate, or half a second a lap down but spinning every 30 laps..?

Then there is the fact that he's had far more time driving F1 cars than MS, hundreds of hours more - he should be at least on a par with MS initially because of that benefit.

To me it looks like the ceiling of his talent is simply a little to low to be a competitive (and perhaps suitably safe) F1 driver. That's not to take away from the fact he is a talented racing driver in general - but F1 is a step up and not all talented racing drivers have what it takes to make that step.


MartG

17,738 posts

169 months

Thursday
quotequote all

kiseca

8,910 posts

184 months

Thursday
quotequote all
MartG said:
I was thinking that would be disqualified for being too wide, but since it's based on the narrower pre-2017 cars I'm actually not so sure hehe

p4cks

5,417 posts

164 months

Yesterday (11:20)
quotequote all
He's just spun again in FP1 in Spain

pablo

15,553 posts

238 months

Yesterday (12:40)
quotequote all
p4cks said:
He's just spun again in FP1 in Spain
The pain in Spain spins mainly into the grain (of sand)

Jasandjules

66,009 posts

194 months

Yesterday (13:03)
quotequote all
p4cks said:
He's just spun again in FP1 in Spain
Listening to the onboard it did not sound like he floored it or anything so perhaps the car is difficult as well?

HocusPocus

384 posts

66 months

Yesterday (13:05)
quotequote all
MartG said:
World's most expensive hire and bash

HustleRussell

19,171 posts

125 months

Yesterday (13:19)
quotequote all
With the spins and especially with the race pace, I’m beginning to wonder if Haas are going to find something wrong on Mazepin’s car. I was expecting him to run Mick close or possibly beat him in the early part of the season.

geeks

6,734 posts

104 months

Yesterday (13:20)
quotequote all
HustleRussell said:
With the spins and especially with the race pace, I’m beginning to wonder if Haas are going to find something wrong on Mazepin’s car. I was expecting him to run Mick close or possibly beat him in the early part of the season.
Really were you? I think you are in a small minority there who expected anything out of Mazespin other than being a mobile chicane

HustleRussell

19,171 posts

125 months

Yesterday (13:34)
quotequote all
geeks said:
HustleRussell said:
With the spins and especially with the race pace, I’m beginning to wonder if Haas are going to find something wrong on Mazepin’s car. I was expecting him to run Mick close or possibly beat him in the early part of the season.
Really were you? I think you are in a small minority there who expected anything out of Mazespin other than being a mobile chicane
I watched some F2. He was a danger to self & others there as well- but he wasn’t ‘slow’ per se. In addition, Schumacher won the thing but wasn’t exactly a revelation.

TheDeuce

9,108 posts

31 months

Yesterday (13:43)
quotequote all
geeks said:
HustleRussell said:
With the spins and especially with the race pace, I’m beginning to wonder if Haas are going to find something wrong on Mazepin’s car. I was expecting him to run Mick close or possibly beat him in the early part of the season.
Really were you? I think you are in a small minority there who expected anything out of Mazespin other than being a mobile chicane
He was fairly competitive in F2, not good enough to traditionally get an F1 drive on merit. There was always a possibility he'd take to it and shine of course - but sadly it turns out he can't, he's useless.