2021 F1 cars thread

2021 F1 cars thread

Author
Discussion

mw88

219 posts

76 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Does Russia's doping ban on World sports extend to not showing the flag?

Haas will probably claim it represents the American flag, or just the Uralkali colours laugh

The Alpine looks less shiny on track than the images
https://www.racefans.net/2021/03/03/first-pictures...

Edited by mw88 on Thursday 4th March 08:43

Piginapoke

Original Poster:

1,881 posts

150 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
jsf said:
Piginapoke said:
Commercial reality. Spending no money on 2021, taking pay drivers and betting the farm on 2022.
Thats a bit harsh on Alonso and Ocon. biggrin
Sponsored by novichok smile

rider73

1,360 posts

42 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all

yes no flag for Russia for 2 years across all motorsport platforms - although they can use the "colour scheme" and say the word Russia, but it must be followed by "neutral athlete"

the whole Russia doping thing is a joke (and not just in Motorsport ) - they are not supposed to hold any sporting events - but there's a Russian GP for years- even if there are "get around clauses" , you would think the FIA would have a spine and simply not go there, but when has the hosting countries "problems" ever stopped them racing there.....


Deesee

5,108 posts

48 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
jsf said:
Bloody big power bulge for the new PU implementation on the Aston too.
Sandbag slots..hehe

Is this the new enlarged inlet that was mooted?

andburg

4,653 posts

134 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
mw88 said:
Does Russia's doping ban on World sports extend to not showing the flag?

Haas will probably claim it represents the American flag, or just the Uralkali colours laugh

The Alpine looks less shiny on track than the images
https://www.racefans.net/2021/03/03/first-pictures...

Edited by mw88 on Thursday 4th March 08:43
Not a shock, matt paint is slightly textured and helps airflow stay attached to the car from inside information I've had.

jsf

22,433 posts

201 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Sandbag slots..hehe

Is this the new enlarged inlet that was mooted?
Nope. Thats the air intake over the drivers head.

ajprice

20,278 posts

161 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
mw88 said:
Does Russia's doping ban on World sports extend to not showing the flag?
https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/status/1367390...

"Despite a ban on the use of the Russian flag in sporting competitions, the colours of the flag are permitted. Haas have confirmed the livery has been approved by the FIA."

Deesee

5,108 posts

48 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
jsf said:
Deesee said:
Sandbag slots..hehe

Is this the new enlarged inlet that was mooted?
Nope. Thats the air intake over the drivers head.
would it be this?



andburg

4,653 posts

134 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Deesee said:
jsf said:
Deesee said:
Sandbag slots..hehe

Is this the new enlarged inlet that was mooted?
Nope. Thats the air intake over the drivers head.
would it be this?


the inlet wasn't mooted as enlarged but the airboxes which are the carbon shapes on top of the engine could well be enlarged in relation to the variable length inlet trumpet systems theyre now reportedly running


awful lot of ifs and maybe's!

MiniMan64

13,918 posts

155 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
mw88 said:
Does Russia's doping ban on World sports extend to not showing the flag?

Haas will probably claim it represents the American flag, or just the Uralkali colours laugh

The Alpine looks less shiny on track than the images
https://www.racefans.net/2021/03/03/first-pictures...

Edited by mw88 on Thursday 4th March 08:43
Reminds me of a Liger.

TheDeuce

9,088 posts

31 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
rider73 said:
yes no flag for Russia for 2 years across all motorsport platforms - although they can use the "colour scheme" and say the word Russia, but it must be followed by "neutral athlete"

the whole Russia doping thing is a joke (and not just in Motorsport ) - they are not supposed to hold any sporting events - but there's a Russian GP for years- even if there are "get around clauses" , you would think the FIA would have a spine and simply not go there, but when has the hosting countries "problems" ever stopped them racing there.....
It's just a Russian flag colour scheme on a car paid for by a Russian with his Russian son driving it. In Russia.

scratchchin

Kraken

1,653 posts

165 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
andburg said:
Not a shock, matt paint is slightly textured and helps airflow stay attached to the car from inside information I've had.
It's also lighter.

RichB

44,973 posts

249 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Kraken said:
andburg said:
Not a shock, matt paint is slightly textured and helps airflow stay attached to the car from inside information I've had.
It's also lighter.
In what respect?

ajprice

20,278 posts

161 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
RichB said:
Kraken said:
andburg said:
Not a shock, matt paint is slightly textured and helps airflow stay attached to the car from inside information I've had.
It's also lighter.
In what respect?
Weight. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-matte-p...

RichB

44,973 posts

249 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
ajprice said:
RichB said:
Kraken said:
andburg said:
Not a shock, matt paint is slightly textured and helps airflow stay attached to the car from inside information I've had.
It's also lighter.
In what respect?
Weight. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-matte-p...
It's interesting because I was a glider pilot for 30 years and the top competition chaps would polish the wings of their gliders to the highest possible shine to ensure a smooth airflow over the wing. Indeed even dead flies on the leading edge caused a degradation in the performance of the wing because any imperfection causes the airflow to detach. That's counter to the concept that the slightly rough surface of matt paint causes the airflow to stay attached. Odd.

NRS

17,132 posts

166 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
jsf said:
NRS said:
Bad sign for McLaren then, given the lack of one there? Would suggest the packing is far less right surely. Or were they able to have the engine placed a little differently due to having the chassis update (no idea how much room there would be available to lower it - I suspect very little in reality).
It's there on the McLaren but more integrated with the exit area of the headrest, so not as obvious.

I suspect McLaren will be more cautious on initial packaging whilst they gather data. With such limited testing time they cant afford any silly issues with overheating.
Yes, it should have said tight instead of right! biggrin I was thinking the same regarding the cooling, so likely it will be a bit slower as a result. Are they able to change that during the season, or is it fixed now?

jsf

22,433 posts

201 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
RichB said:
It's interesting because I was a glider pilot for 30 years and the top competition chaps would polish the wings of their gliders to the highest possible shine to ensure a smooth airflow over the wing. Indeed even dead flies on the leading edge caused a degradation in the performance of the wing because any imperfection causes the airflow to detach. That's counter to the concept that the slightly rough surface of matt paint causes the airflow to stay attached. Odd.
Its the golf ball effect.

https://youtu.be/fcjaxC-e8oY

jsf

22,433 posts

201 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
NRS said:
Yes, it should have said tight instead of right! biggrin I was thinking the same regarding the cooling, so likely it will be a bit slower as a result. Are they able to change that during the season, or is it fixed now?
Aero is not homologated so can be changed.

andburg

4,653 posts

134 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
I wonder what the HAAS will actually look like, its to my eyes a 2020 car in 2021 livery. The rear diffuser strakes appear to be too long and the floor doesnt seem to have the '21 cutout at the rear.

El stovey

38,190 posts

228 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
RichB said:
It's interesting because I was a glider pilot for 30 years and the top competition chaps would polish the wings of their gliders to the highest possible shine to ensure a smooth airflow over the wing. Indeed even dead flies on the leading edge caused a degradation in the performance of the wing because any imperfection causes the airflow to detach. That's counter to the concept that the slightly rough surface of matt paint causes the airflow to stay attached. Odd.
I think it depends on the speed and size of molecules the surface is operating in and what you’re trying to achieve.

Some aquatic animals have rougher skins like the now banned patterns on Olympic swimming body suits etc.

Aircraft designers looked and tested rough surfaces on wings but it didn’t work out or the benefit wasn’t worth the cost.