Daniel Ricciardo

Daniel Ricciardo

Author
Discussion

nnnitram

82 posts

4 months

Saturday 22nd June
quotequote all
Very strange that people are so quick to blame the car for his 18th place quali when his quali record for this season so far looks like
14
14
18
11
12
18
9
12
5

Hustle_

24,889 posts

163 months

Saturday 22nd June
quotequote all
nnnitram said:
Very strange that people are so quick to blame the car for his 18th place quali when his quali record for this season so far looks like
14
14
18
11
12
18
9
12
5
Oh! Which car was he in for the other races?

nnnitram

82 posts

4 months

Saturday 22nd June
quotequote all
I'm talking about people suddenly blaming VCARB's upgrade package for his poor performance. Of course you knew that, you're just being intentionally dull because you somehow think it makes you look smart.

matrignano

4,479 posts

213 months

Sunday 23rd June
quotequote all
Let’s not forget Ricciardo confidently said he would be in a full fat RB within the year?
Overpromised and underdelivered it seems…

thegreenhell

16,103 posts

222 months

Sunday 23rd June
quotequote all
matrignano said:
Let’s not forget Ricciardo confidently said he would be in a full fat RB within the year?
Overpromised and underdelivered it seems…
Did he really say that? Or is it just something that people on the internet have said for him?

asfault

12,534 posts

182 months

Sunday 23rd June
quotequote all
matrignano said:
Let’s not forget Ricciardo confidently said he would be in a full fat RB within the year?
Overpromised and underdelivered it seems…
didnt he also say back when he joined mclaren that he was going to "destroy" lando? jokingly or not...

PRO5T

4,323 posts

28 months

Sunday 23rd June
quotequote all
asfault said:
matrignano said:
Let’s not forget Ricciardo confidently said he would be in a full fat RB within the year?
Overpromised and underdelivered it seems…
didnt he also say back when he joined mclaren that he was going to "destroy" lando? jokingly or not...
Even better he said it in front of the TV cameras, Lando was being interviewed for a sit down with Sky. Our Australian hero walked past just in shot as Lando was being asked about his future team mate, Danial shouted "I'm going to end you!" to Lando who simply replied with a bemused look.

Wonderful.

skwdenyer

17,196 posts

243 months

Sunday 23rd June
quotequote all
A better race for Daniel today. Even allowing for Yuki's penalty, Daniel took several tenths per lap out of him. That's more like it smile

Tazar

504 posts

195 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
I wouldn’t have said 15th was a good result but presumably views differ. I used to be a fan of Daniel but I personally think he’s overstayed his time in F1.

cjm

525 posts

271 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
Mack42 said:
I don't get all the animosity for DR, sure he is being edged by his team mate but nine other teams also have that situation.

I watched qualifying today and there was a lot of talk about the new RB package not working as expected, seeing that Yuki and DR were pretty even I cant see how it can be logical from this how DR is washed up.He's not a driver that I have ever followed but I just don't get why there is all the criticism. Wish I could pedal half as well.
It is a lot to do with expectation and previous performance. There was lots of chat at the time of his move to McLaren that he was going to make Norris look slow, very average and pretty much finish off any hope of Norris staying in F1. Which he didn't do and now Tsunoda is also doing a better job than him...

Muzzer79

10,404 posts

190 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
thegreenhell said:
matrignano said:
Let’s not forget Ricciardo confidently said he would be in a full fat RB within the year?
Overpromised and underdelivered it seems…
Did he really say that? Or is it just something that people on the internet have said for him?
My recollection was that he said he was targeting the RBR drive. As all Toro Rosso/AT/VCARB drivers say because, after all, that's what the team exists for.

ThingsBehindTheSun

533 posts

34 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
Tazar said:
I wouldn’t have said 15th was a good result but presumably views differ. I used to be a fan of Daniel but I personally think he’s overstayed his time in F1.
McLaren knew he was done back in 22, hence why they paid him not to drive the car in 23.

God knows why Red Bull took him back, the fact they would now rather sign Perez for another two years to partner Max considering his current form says it all.

Surely they are not going to keep him at RB Visa Cash or whatever it is called these days for another year? All he is doing is taking up a space that should be given to an up and coming driver like Liam Lawson.

I think it is 50/50 that this is his last year in F1 or he will spend another year or two making up the numbers somewhere like Haas. I suspect Alpine would not touch him with a bargepole after the way he left Renault.

Muzzer79

10,404 posts

190 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
ThingsBehindTheSun said:
I suspect Alpine would not touch him with a bargepole after the way he left Renault.
Different management, different times.

This is a sport where Fernando Alonso signed for McLaren having cost the team $100m and a near-disqualification just 6 years previously.

Having said that, there are rumours around that Alpine are having trouble putting the past behind them. Apparently they were looking at Hulkenburg but didn't feel comfortable re-signing him after they dropped him in 2019.

thegreenhell

16,103 posts

222 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
Muzzer79 said:
ThingsBehindTheSun said:
I suspect Alpine would not touch him with a bargepole after the way he left Renault.
Different management, different times.

This is a sport where Fernando Alonso signed for McLaren having cost the team $100m and a near-disqualification just 6 years previously.

Having said that, there are rumours around that Alpine are having trouble putting the past behind them. Apparently they were looking at Hulkenburg but didn't feel comfortable re-signing him after they dropped him in 2019.
And yet they're perfectly happy to bring back Flavio the cheat.

skwdenyer

17,196 posts

243 months

Monday 24th June
quotequote all
ThingsBehindTheSun said:
Tazar said:
I wouldn’t have said 15th was a good result but presumably views differ. I used to be a fan of Daniel but I personally think he’s overstayed his time in F1.
McLaren knew he was done back in 22, hence why they paid him not to drive the car in 23.

God knows why Red Bull took him back, the fact they would now rather sign Perez for another two years to partner Max considering his current form says it all.

Surely they are not going to keep him at RB Visa Cash or whatever it is called these days for another year? All he is doing is taking up a space that should be given to an up and coming driver like Liam Lawson.

I think it is 50/50 that this is his last year in F1 or he will spend another year or two making up the numbers somewhere like Haas. I suspect Alpine would not touch him with a bargepole after the way he left Renault.
15th was a good result compared to his team mate. That's the primary benchmark.

It is said Daniel is well-liked (putting it mildly) by sponsors, and that his economic value to the team may outweigh many other factors.

nnnitram

82 posts

4 months

Wednesday 26th June
quotequote all
Yuki had mechanical damage, so Ricciardo's performance against him meant nothing. No thinking person considers a 15th place to be a good result for a mid field car.

Forester1965

2,128 posts

6 months

Wednesday 26th June
quotequote all
Ricciardo is out at the end of the year and Lawson will be in. It's decided.

Hustle_

24,889 posts

163 months

Wednesday 26th June
quotequote all
Forester1965 said:
Ricciardo is out at the end of the year and Lawson will be in. It's decided.
End of the year? Joe Saward has suggested it may be in-season on Twitter

cuprabob

15,057 posts

217 months

Wednesday 26th June
quotequote all
Hustle_ said:
Forester1965 said:
Ricciardo is out at the end of the year and Lawson will be in. It's decided.
End of the year? Joe Saward has suggested it may be in-season on Twitter
I think he'll be replaced over the summer break.

Forester1965

2,128 posts

6 months

Wednesday 26th June
quotequote all
You might be right. Marko has already said the decision to go for young drivers for RB has been made.