Daniel Ricciardo

Daniel Ricciardo

Author
Discussion

Joey Deacon

5,726 posts

156 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
Blib said:
Gasly's having an average season so far. He's not exactly making a case for a move up the grid.
Agreed, I have a sneaky feeling he might struggle to keep his Alpha Tauri seat for next year. He has effectively been hogging the Toro Rossa/Alpha Tauri seat for five years now and couldn't cut it when he temporarily moved to Red Bull in 2019.

The Alpha Tauri team is supposed to be a stepping stone for Red Bull academy drivers and he has proved he is not good enough for the Red Bull team. Perez is not going to be around forever, so they need to find the next Verstappen and give him an Alpha Tauri seat.

I actually wonder if both of the Alpha Tauri drivers might be gone next year?

Muzzer79 said:
I wonder if they'll look at Gasly (who, let's face it won't be going to Red Bull ever) or take a risk and try to go for Piastri.
You have the best potential talent in years sitting around the paddock doing nothing, you would be crazy not to give him a shot. Worked out OK when they did it for Hamilton.



Edited by Joey Deacon on Wednesday 25th May 11:43

Fundoreen

3,081 posts

63 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
Its the old Mclaren story. A bad car that one guy can hustle around slightly better. Its still a bad car.
If they gave Danny a decent car he could drive they may win something. Both of them.
All these stories of mid season driver swaps make no sense and are instigated by people with no sense.
Anyone else they put in will be crashing the car on every corner and take over a season to stop.
You would still have to pay DR off regardless.
Its like football fans have started following F1 and think its easy to sub someone else on.


spikyone

966 posts

80 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
geeks said:
From Indycar I would be looking at Pato O'ward but I would choose Piastri over any of the Indycar crop.
Agreed, Piastri over Herta or anyone in Indy is a no-brainer, if they can get him out of his Alpine contract. I don't understand the fuss over Herta anyway; looks OK in IndyCar but you could say the same about many drivers that couldn't cut it in F1.

pablo

16,645 posts

253 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
Fundoreen said:
Its the old Mclaren story. A bad car that one guy can hustle around slightly better. Its still a bad car.
If they gave Danny a decent car he could drive they may win something. Both of them.
All these stories of mid season driver swaps make no sense and are instigated by people with no sense.
Anyone else they put in will be crashing the car on every corner and take over a season to stop.
You would still have to pay DR off regardless.
Its like football fans have started following F1 and think its easy to sub someone else on.
Lando doesn’t look like he’s hustling though,granted it’s not a great car and from where they were at the Barcelona shake down to today, it’s a massive improvement but lando looks like he’s getting the most out of it and is not an inch away from an accident at every corner, Danny Ric is nearly half a second behind at every circuit. He’s the one hustling.

HustleRussell

21,977 posts

140 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
spikyone said:
Agreed, Piastri over Herta or anyone in Indy is a no-brainer, if they can get him out of his Alpine contract. I don't understand the fuss over Herta anyway; looks OK in IndyCar but you could say the same about many drivers that couldn't cut it in F1.
I feel like Zak must see a commercial opportunity in having an American driver. Back in the day, Bernie would've been greasing the wheels to get an American driver onto the grid...

entropy

4,777 posts

183 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
Alex Brundle analyses the two distinct driving styles. Norris is more chuck it in with blind faith to maximize corner speed whereas Ricc sets up corner exits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L89zGBSmp8


PhilAsia said:
Did he get disillusioned or complacent....or was he (and by definition) Max that bad at that stage of their career? (I don't think so btw, as I always rated both)
Or maybe he may have not progressed to the next level which, arguably, Max has now done. It's clear DR isn't an adaptable driver whereas Max can.

Pflanzgarten

745 posts

5 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
entropy said:
Or maybe he may have not progressed to the next level which, arguably, Max has now done. It's clear DR isn't an adaptable driver whereas Max can.
People forget that very point when comparing Ricciardo with Verstappen, yes he performed as well as Max sometimes but that was a very young and inexperienced Max Verstappen!

Sandpit Steve

6,584 posts

54 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
spikyone said:
geeks said:
From Indycar I would be looking at Pato O'ward but I would choose Piastri over any of the Indycar crop.
Agreed, Piastri over Herta or anyone in Indy is a no-brainer, if they can get him out of his Alpine contract. I don't understand the fuss over Herta anyway; looks OK in IndyCar but you could say the same about many drivers that couldn't cut it in F1.
Herta is, IIRC, the only American currently entitled to a Super Licence.

O’Ward will likely be eligible next season though.

Zak Brown (and the Liberty powers that be) would love an American F1 driver.

cgt2

3,805 posts

168 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
Sandpit Steve said:
Zak Brown (and the Liberty powers that be) would love an American F1 driver.
Absolutely right he's already been licking his lips at the prospect when asked in Miami.

Muzzer79

6,649 posts

167 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
Joey Deacon said:
Blib said:
Gasly's having an average season so far. He's not exactly making a case for a move up the grid.
Agreed, I have a sneaky feeling he might struggle to keep his Alpha Tauri seat for next year. He has effectively been hogging the Toro Rossa/Alpha Tauri seat for five years now and couldn't cut it when he temporarily moved to Red Bull in 2019.

The Alpha Tauri team is supposed to be a stepping stone for Red Bull academy drivers and he has proved he is not good enough for the Red Bull team. Perez is not going to be around forever, so they need to find the next Verstappen and give him an Alpha Tauri seat.

I actually wonder if both of the Alpha Tauri drivers might be gone next year?

Muzzer79 said:
I wonder if they'll look at Gasly (who, let's face it won't be going to Red Bull ever) or take a risk and try to go for Piastri.
You have the best potential talent in years sitting around the paddock doing nothing, you would be crazy not to give him a shot. Worked out OK when they did it for Hamilton.



Edited by Joey Deacon on Wednesday 25th May 11:43
Issue that Red Bull have is who is coming through for them?

Juri Vips isn't exactly setting F2 on fire. Neither is Liam Lawson or Jehan Daruvala.

Gasly is a little in no-mans-land. He provides a good backup for the main team, but tarnished his reputation with them in 2019.

He did well in 2020 and 2021 though and could make a good (and relatively cheap) no. 2 driver for someone else if not much else is about.

I'd go for Piastri though.

kambites

64,849 posts

201 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
Muzzer79 said:
I think Mercedes will be thinking of Norris to take over the seat from Hamilton at the end of '23.
I think Russell/Norris could end up uncomfortably like Hamilton/Rosberg.

spikyone

966 posts

80 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
Sandpit Steve said:
spikyone said:
geeks said:
From Indycar I would be looking at Pato O'ward but I would choose Piastri over any of the Indycar crop.
Agreed, Piastri over Herta or anyone in Indy is a no-brainer, if they can get him out of his Alpine contract. I don't understand the fuss over Herta anyway; looks OK in IndyCar but you could say the same about many drivers that couldn't cut it in F1.
Herta is, IIRC, the only American currently entitled to a Super Licence.

O’Ward will likely be eligible next season though.

Zak Brown (and the Liberty powers that be) would love an American F1 driver.
I'm not against the idea of an American driver if it were based on talent rather than nationality. I'm not suggesting Herta is bad; I'm just not sure why you'd take a guy who's unproven because after some reasonable but not exceptional results in Europe, he went back to the US, where he's also had some reasonable but not exceptional results. Nothing about his record says "F1 level".

O'Ward is Mexican, he'd be a guy that US motorsports fans would know but I guess they're looking to give the average US punter someone to cheer for.

Maybe a digression from the main subject anyway. This weekend will be a very big one for Danny Ric. Lando put a lap on him last year, DR absolutely cannot afford that to happen again coming into silly season.

cgt2

3,805 posts

168 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
kambites said:
I think Russell/Norris could end up uncomfortably like Hamilton/Rosberg.
Maybe, maybe not. It's quite noticeable how chummy and jokey all the youngsters seem to be though I can't recall George being on camera with them. Certainly Norris, Charles, Ocon, Gasly and occasionally the Haas boys all seem to have a lot of laughs. Alonso has been spotted in amongst them too even though he's old enough to be their Dad!

vaud

45,321 posts

135 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
Toto has repeatedly said that they won't go for that kind of driver pairing again.

Sandpit Steve

6,584 posts

54 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
kambites said:
Muzzer79 said:
I think Mercedes will be thinking of Norris to take over the seat from Hamilton at the end of '23.
I think Russell/Norris could end up uncomfortably like Hamilton/Rosberg.
You’re not the only one who thought that. Lewis and Nico were pretty much best friends for 15 years, before they ended up in the same team and fighting for the championship.

That last bit, is what every driver on the grid sees as their ultimate ambition, their validation in life, that they’ve worked towards for as long as they can remember - and they’ll walk over whoever they need to walk over to get there. As the team boss, you really don’t want two bears in one cave.

PhilAsia

1,337 posts

55 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
cgt2 said:
PhilAsia said:
Ric was showing well against Max until RBR stacked the deck. Makes me wonder what Lando could do in the same car as Max - Lando is slightly less consistent, but over a season I would expect him to show well.

Same with Russell. He is showing well against Lewis, but over this season I feel Lewis has the edge...if the luck factors out. Russell may well win out in the second season on merit, however unless he adapts his driving style his performance will suffer imo as he ages.

Shame about Ric... I like his on screen personality more than most. Did he get disillusioned or complacent....or was he (and by definition) Max that bad at that stage of their career? (I don't think so btw, as I always rated both)
Lando has really been exemplary and performed far beyond his age. He definitely had a blip for two or three weekends when he got mugged and shunted in Spa but other than that he's been outstanding. Dare I say it he's more polished at this point in his career than many other great drivers. cannot disagree. he has really stood out. I enjoy his P1,2 and 3 exploratory prep too. very thorough

He actually comes across as far more genuine out of the car too, he is a uniquely funny guy as only kids of his age who don't take themselves too seriously out of the car can be. Some of his jokes are hilarious, such as pranking Gasly in a recent interview on camera by saying his microphone had covid (which Ocon believed). A quick wit.again, I agree 100%. I like his openness and candidness...quick wit too

With Ricciardo I always get the sense it's a bit more of an act even though he seems a nice enough chap. I enjoy them both. Far more refreshing than most. I was never a fan of Kimi's humour most of the time, Vettel's occasionally. In fact, there aren't that many funny F1 drivers IMO.
Unfortunately, due to 2021 I decided on just watching C4, so I get little info around P1,2,3, and a bare dusting of qualy and the race to form any opinion on what is happening in 22. I would have liked to have seen all of Spain, but I made my decision and have to accept scant details.

cgt2

3,805 posts

168 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
PhilAsia said:
Unfortunately, due to 2021 I decided on just watching C4, so I get little info around P1,2,3, and a bare dusting of qualy and the race to form any opinion on what is happening in 22. I would have liked to have seen all of Spain, but I made my decision and have to accept scant details.
Most of the funny stuff amongst the young drivers is in the post race shows you can watch on YouTube on the official F1 Channel. Unlike the stilted Sky stuff they allow drivers to be themselves more and it gives us a great insight into their character. Not having a PR girl stood next to them probably helps too as they are more loose and chatty.

Milkyway

4,635 posts

33 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
Bottas & Daniel @ Alfa Romeo... That could be a good pairing.

Joey Deacon

5,726 posts

156 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
Milkyway said:
Bottas & Daniel @ Alfa Romeo... That could be a good pairing.
I doubt very much they are going to pay the amount of money Daniel would expect. I assume the second seat is always going to go to a driver who is a Ferrari Academy driver and/or brings a lot of sponsorship to the team.

I still honestly think his only chance is Aston assuming Seb calls it a day.

Muzzer79

6,649 posts

167 months

Wednesday 25th May
quotequote all
Joey Deacon said:
I still honestly think his only chance is Aston assuming Seb calls it a day.
I agree, assuming he leaves McLaren.

He is a perfect example of why you should never leave a race-winning team. He's had just 2 podiums and a slightly fortuitous win since leaving RBR.

If your car is a winner, keep hold of it.