Disaster Grid Walk

Disaster Grid Walk

Author
Discussion

Koln-RS

3,485 posts

189 months

Sunday 8th May
quotequote all
He might have found it quieter, with more ‘real’ people to talk to, if he had wandered further towards the back of the grid.

paulguitar

15,543 posts

90 months

Sunday 8th May
quotequote all
g4ry13 said:
Jenny Tailor said:
Grid walk needs major rethink. Ban Celebs/ Social Influencers etc . Period.
Might as well take Monaco off the calendar then if that's the case.
YES PLEASE!

a_dreamer

1,528 posts

14 months

Sunday 8th May
quotequote all
Was superb Tele. Martin knew what he was doing and made it look as farcical as he could (not that he had to try too hard)

He made a number of comments on it, the comment about the Williams sister reply was great but his "and modest too" to the youtuber was sensational.

Better than the race

g4ry13

13,802 posts

232 months

Sunday 8th May
quotequote all
paulguitar said:
g4ry13 said:
Jenny Tailor said:
Grid walk needs major rethink. Ban Celebs/ Social Influencers etc . Period.
Might as well take Monaco off the calendar then if that's the case.
YES PLEASE!
Finally found something i'm willing to agree with you.

paulguitar

15,543 posts

90 months

Sunday 8th May
quotequote all
g4ry13 said:
paulguitar said:
g4ry13 said:
Jenny Tailor said:
Grid walk needs major rethink. Ban Celebs/ Social Influencers etc . Period.
Might as well take Monaco off the calendar then if that's the case.
YES PLEASE!
Finally found something i'm willing to agree with you.
Hurray! beer

antspants

2,323 posts

152 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
Mark V GTD said:
Watched this pantomime for 30 seconds and switched off. Switched back for the start of the formation lap and race start.
I tend to avoid the pre-race shows and just watch from the formation lap like you, but today I had to turn it on briefly as I had my dad texting me during the grid walk hurling insults about moronic Americans not having a clue about F1. This then spiralled into a rant about F1 being ruined for those actually interested in the sport. Thought he was going to have a heart attack when I mentioned we're racing in Miami for 10 years and still got Vegas to come hehe

Sandpit Steve

5,849 posts

51 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
faa77 said:
They need to do something like you can only attend "Class A races" if you've attended 4-5 previous races in the last 12 months. (4-5 or whatever a sensible number should be)
Well there were definitely a few of them who had been on the “Class As” in Miami yesterday. biggrin.

Props to the crown prince of Bahrain, just a guy in a t-shirt, no entourage and happy to stop and chat to Martin - who did well to pick up on him, out of context and wearing civvies.

JoelH

75 posts

7 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
Influencers and the people who follow them won't care less about Brundle. He's a boomer and irrelevant as far as they're concerned. American motorsport is more about the show than the actual cars. I remember reading a part in Neweys book about "fans" who had been going to the Indy500 for years and never seen a race car. Events like Miami are all about the parties etc I bet there wasn't a single celeb who watched every lap.

At the end of the day if you want to watch real motorsport spend a tenner and spend the day at your local track watching a club meeting.

Muzzer79

6,367 posts

164 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
It's a good job that a lot of you don't work for F1....

The Celebs, shallow as they may seem in matters of F1, are a necessary evil to promote the sport.

'Banning' them from the grid would be shooting oneself in the foot.

Nobody apart from F1 nerds wants to just talk to engineers, mechanics and ex-drivers on an F1 grid.

andygo

6,151 posts

232 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
FeelingLucky said:
The moment with Zac/Mario/Emmo was quite nice. All downhill from there.

The tennis players showed themselves in a particularly bad light IMO.
Agreed.

The Williams female was particularly ignorant on any level. And not the first time she has ignored Martin, I'd think Martin approached her knowing she would act like a pig and make herself look stupid.

Jake899

343 posts

21 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
I can't help but feel disappointed in Martin myself.
He adopted such an obvious attitude and was pretty rude to a lot of people.
I understand he doesn't want to do interview celebs, and I understand why. I completely agree with the stupidity of it all.
But it is his job. His job is to be on TV for three hours a week, so he should drop the attitude, suck it up and be professional. His "i'm too good for this" routine wasn't funny and wasn't how I would expect a man of Martin's ability and intelligence to act.
Should the grid be swarming with people who know nothing about F1 and are just there to be seen? In my opinion no. But it adds value for lots of businesses and people, and it brings cash and glamour to the sport so it's not going anywhere. Just ask the idiots a few banal questions and move on to the fun stuff. I agree the Fittipaldi/Andretti segment was lovely.

a_dreamer

1,528 posts

14 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
Jake899 said:
I can't help but feel disappointed in Martin myself.
He adopted such an obvious attitude and was pretty rude to a lot of people.
I understand he doesn't want to do interview celebs, and I understand why. I completely agree with the stupidity of it all.
But it is his job. His job is to be on TV for three hours a week, so he should drop the attitude, suck it up and be professional. His "i'm too good for this" routine wasn't funny and wasn't how I would expect a man of Martin's ability and intelligence to act.
Should the grid be swarming with people who know nothing about F1 and are just there to be seen? In my opinion no. But it adds value for lots of businesses and people, and it brings cash and glamour to the sport so it's not going anywhere. Just ask the idiots a few banal questions and move on to the fun stuff. I agree the Fittipaldi/Andretti segment was lovely.
Martin has interviewed celebs for years and done a brilliant job on it.
He's not an entertainment journalist, he is working on F1 and some of the better celeb interviews over the years have been with celebs who are fans of the sport. People like us, who really like it and are lucky to get this chance we dream of. It's their enthusiasm and interest that he feeds off and that makes good TV.

If you want someone to blow smoke up these "celebs" aholes get James cordon to do it.

I sense Martin's frustration was that in there somewhere there were likely great interviews, but he couldn't get a look in as all the tts were in the way with no interest in what was going on

Adrian W

12,616 posts

205 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
Maybe it was in an alternative reality, but after the Horse woman fiasco I thought they made a rule that if they are on the grid they have to give interviews and no minders.

JoelH

75 posts

7 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
Muzzer79 said:
It's a good job that a lot of you don't work for F1....

The Celebs, shallow as they may seem in matters of F1, are a necessary evil to promote the sport.

'Banning' them from the grid would be shooting oneself in the foot.

Nobody apart from F1 nerds wants to just talk to engineers, mechanics and ex-drivers on an F1 grid.
And therein lies the problem with F1. It needs mickey mouse tracks in areas that celeb loves to promote itself while purpose built racetracks that would provide far better racing fall into disrepair. The tail is wagging the dog with the need to cater for "promotion" overriding the purpose of the event.


dudleybloke

17,477 posts

163 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
Hype merchants in cross-promotional bulls#it telly shocker.

a_dreamer

1,528 posts

14 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
I think this weekend was less about f1 and more about promotion for liberty media and the crazy events they can put on.

Jake899

343 posts

21 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
I think it's cute that they put Hamilton next to some eggball thrower guy. And there was Stretch ball in the basket guy, hit the ball with a stick and run around guy. America has some crap sports that no one else in the world gives two figs about. Do basketball games have a court walkabout where they interview Formula one drivers? I guess they must.

768

11,029 posts

73 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
I don't mind a celeb who's there because they have an interest in F1, chances are Brundle knows who they are then and vice versa. It is bizarrely vacuous though when F1 has celebs there to increase the profile of F1, the celebs are there to increase their own profile and neither actually give a st about the other. Anyone not happy to talk to Brundle should be punted off the circuit with their grid pass handed to someone in a stand.

SBF

80 posts

22 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
Adrian W said:
Maybe it was in an alternative reality, but after the Horse woman fiasco I thought they made a rule that if they are on the grid they have to give interviews and no minders.
Nearly spat my tea out laugh

grumpy52

5,037 posts

143 months

Monday 9th May
quotequote all
I had no clue who 99% of the celebs were .
My niece was at the Saturday night Maclaren party and sent loads of selfies , I didn't have a clue who most of them were .
Clearly this race is more of a social/media event than a Motorsport race .