Peter Windsor, Driver61, TheRace and valuable F1 insights…

Peter Windsor, Driver61, TheRace and valuable F1 insights…

Author
Discussion

PhilAsia

Original Poster:

1,549 posts

56 months

Tuesday 20th September
quotequote all
I do not know if this has been broached before but, if it has not, then this can be used to post observations and insights into youtube videos and articles that the poster found informative...

I always find Peter Windsor to be the above. This is a great interview throughout...


cgt2

4,040 posts

169 months

Tuesday 20th September
quotequote all
Peter is the only one I've consistently followed for decades. Been there, done that, a few wrong turns business wise but extremely well connected in the paddock. Oh, and probably saved Frank Williams' life.

thegreenhell

11,362 posts

200 months

Tuesday 20th September
quotequote all
He's well respected, but I had to stop following him when he started promoting that Rich Energy charlatan. I guess everyone makes mistakes, but that was embarrassing.

These days I limit my F1 reading to Joe Saward (yes, I know he makes mistakes as well) and the-race.com, which is worthwhile for the input of the likes of Gary Anderson and Mark Hughes.

rdjohn

5,457 posts

176 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
I have a feeling that Pete Windsor has only watched the race from home, like the rest of us.

So his insight may well be conjecture, like the rest of us.

There are only a handful of independent journalists who attend every race and even then are very restricted to who they can openly talk to - for that alone, Joe Saward’s opinion is worth somewhat more than many others.

paulguitar

17,139 posts

94 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
rdjohn said:
I have a feeling that Pete Windsor has only watched the race from home, like the rest of us.

So his insight may well be conjecture, like the rest of us.

There are only a handful of independent journalists who attend every race and even then are very restricted to who they can openly talk to - for that alone, Joe Saward’s opinion is worth somewhat more than many others.
I think PW is at most of the races, and he is certainly very well connected in the paddock.

I went off Joe Saward after getting fed up with his rude and condescending attitude to those whose views don't fully align with his own.

cgt2

4,040 posts

169 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
paulguitar said:
I think PW is at most of the races, and he is certainly very well connected in the paddock.

I went off Joe Saward after getting fed up with his rude and condescending attitude to those whose views don't fully align with his own.
Peter only goes to Monaco and a couple of other races now. He is getting on a bit. But still seems to have many sources in the paddock and his info generally seems very accurate.

Ditto on Joe. I'm sure he knows a lot but I have zero time for his attitude.

LukeBrown66

2,822 posts

27 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
From a journalistic point of view Saward has perhaps the worst reputation in the paddock for over dramatisation and has had for very many years, quite how he maintains his position I do not know, but even when I worked in journalism linked to the trade 20 odd years ago his reputation was about as bad as it gets in the trade I am afraid.

Doesnt mean his stuff is not worth reading, and if you want a balanced view Saward will always offer something different.

vaud

45,936 posts

136 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
LukeBrown66 said:
From a journalistic point of view Saward has perhaps the worst reputation in the paddock for over dramatisation and has had for very many years, quite how he maintains his position I do not know, but even when I worked in journalism linked to the trade 20 odd years ago his reputation was about as bad as it gets in the trade I am afraid.
He's trusted by a lot of the paddock, and F1. He was one of the very few journalists to be given access during the paddock lock downs.

Personally I like him, and his "audience with Joe" shows are quite good fun.

cgt2

4,040 posts

169 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
vaud said:
He's trusted by a lot of the paddock, and F1. He was one of the very few journalists to be given access during the paddock lock downs.

Personally I like him, and his "audience with Joe" shows are quite good fun.
I'm well aware of his reputation and like the poster above also knew him around the paddocks when I was there 25 years ago. He seems like a decent chap in person which is hard to reconcile with some of the attitude he displays behind a keyboard. I guess he'd be right at home on PH.

When he really started to insult some of his own readers I drew a line and haven't actively read his postings for a long time. The snippets I have seen suggest the MO hasn't changed much.

Halmyre

9,987 posts

120 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
I like Peter Windsor, and not only because he's a massive Clark fan.

Saward I believe is the inspiration for SniffPetrol's Trentham Sleeves.


paulguitar

17,139 posts

94 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
Halmyre said:
Saward I believe is the inspiration for SniffPetrol's Trentham Sleeves.
Just read a couple of those. I think you might be right there...

SturdyHSV

9,389 posts

148 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
I enjoy Peter Windsor's reviews of each day, he seems to have a very good eye for driving styles and always has a keen eye on lap times etc. during practice so can often give a bit of an insight in to how the teams are shaping up.

Driver61 I also enjoy, again good insights into driving styles and always good to get another racing driver's opinion on incidents etc.

The Race I find doesn't tend to give much new information but is at least a step above the mire of clickbait lies that're now present on Youtube purely to try and generate ad-revenue from the frothing, rage fuelled partisan fans that inevitably come as a sport grows in exposure. With that in mind, this is a useful thread to help weed out the actual legitimate F1 related channels because the vast majority now seem to be Daily Mail esque which is frustrating to wade through.

budgie smuggler

4,673 posts

140 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
Are we allowed to include techy stuff also? If so these two channels are worth a sub.

B Sport - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-k4wmqGgA0
KYLE.ENGINEERS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUv_1eUbpBc

I don't know which team(s) B Sport worked for but the second one there is an ex-Mercedes aero engineer.

Edited by budgie smuggler on Wednesday 21st September 10:43

paulguitar

17,139 posts

94 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
SturdyHSV said:
I enjoy Peter Windsor's reviews of each day, he seems to have a very good eye for driving styles and always has a keen eye on lap times etc. during practice so can often give a bit of an insight in to how the teams are shaping up.

Driver61 I also enjoy, again good insights into driving styles and always good to get another racing driver's opinion on incidents etc.

The Race I find doesn't tend to give much new information but is at least a step above the mire of clickbait lies that're now present on Youtube purely to try and generate ad-revenue from the frothing, rage fuelled partisan fans that inevitably come as a sport grows in exposure. With that in mind, this is a useful thread to help weed out the actual legitimate F1 related channels because the vast majority now seem to be Daily Mail esque which is frustrating to wade through.
Yep, agree with all of that. The Race does excellent audio podcasts as well, one after each race, and also their offshoot 'Bring Back V10s' is very good.


SturdyHSV

9,389 posts

148 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
budgie smuggler said:
Are we allowed to include techy stuff also? If so these two channels are worth a sub.

B Sport - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-k4wmqGgA0
KYLE.ENGINEERS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUv_1eUbpBc

I don't know which team(s) B Sport worked for but the second one there is an ex-Mercedes aero engineer.

Edited by budgie smuggler on Wednesday 21st September 10:43
B.Sport is ex-Force India (or whatever they were called over the years he worked there hehe)

There's a slightly heavier chap with a beard who's ex RB and started appearing a bit on YT as "EX REDBULL ENGINEER REVEALS SECRETS" etc., but he was an IT guy so I'm not really convinced of the insights he's going to be offering as to why Gasly didn't last or Verstappen's secrets to winning etc, but hey, might as well try and make some money out of it! hehe

Edited by SturdyHSV on Wednesday 21st September 11:06

RB Will

8,283 posts

221 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
I like Driver 61 stuff but when I’ve posted his stuff on here all I got was he is a nobody and his opinion doesn’t matter.

Presuming Ed

1,150 posts

189 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
RB Will said:
I like Driver 61 stuff but when I’ve posted his stuff on here all I got was he is a nobody and his opinion doesn’t matter.
I'm a big fan of the Scott, I think the only reason people didn't like him is he backed Max a lot last year and therefore his opinion wasn't worth anything.

mat205125

16,848 posts

194 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
RB Will said:
I like Driver 61 stuff but when I’ve posted his stuff on here all I got was he is a nobody and his opinion doesn’t matter.
I personally find their content very interesting, and informative. Always a go to resource.

entropy

4,849 posts

184 months

Wednesday 21st September
quotequote all
thegreenhell said:
He's well respected, but I had to stop following him when he started promoting that Rich Energy charlatan. I guess everyone makes mistakes, but that was embarrassing.
Does Peter surf/skate? Otherwise he dresses like an embarrassing grandad who's desperate to be down with the kids.


rdjohn said:
I have a feeling that Pete Windsor has only watched the race from home, like the rest of us.

So his insight may well be conjecture, like the rest of us.

There are only a handful of independent journalists who attend every race and even then are very restricted to who they can openly talk to - for that alone, Joe Saward’s opinion is worth somewhat more than many others.
The technical-minded get away with it with knowledge and authority. The likes of Matthew Somerfield and Craig Scarborough have gone up in the world to some extent after writing vlogs.


Presuming Ed said:
I'm a big fan of the Scott, I think the only reason people didn't like him is he backed Max a lot last year and therefore his opinion wasn't worth anything.
Not to mention some questionable promotions to fund his channel even though you can skip to ignore.

He's not perfect either. Recently did a video about how adaptable Vettel was but conveniently missed out the 2014 season.

coppice

7,508 posts

125 months

Thursday 22nd September
quotequote all
I first came across Saward in the 80s , writing ETCC reports for Autosport. They were outstanding and gave a real insight into the event as a whole , and not just the race . I now hear him on line from time to time and I am equivocal about him - his experience is formidable and he makes some of his colleagues sound like twelve year olds on a sugar rush . But he has fallen victim , in common with so many others ,to reflecting on F1 developments as if he were a plutocrat on Dragon's Den. loftily sharing his business insights with mere civilians like me .

Pete Windsor is a decent guy , and I remember a chat with him at Duns - a real enthusiast whose Autocar GP reports were a joy to read.

Older readers will remember Pete Lyons, whose GP reports for Autosport in the Hunt /Lauda era were mould breaking , and written in a wonderful, punchy Hemingway- esque style. I have got to know Pete a little by reviewing his books and he is the real deal. Anybody who rides his motorbike from London to Sicily to see the Targa Florio is alright by me .