Cars you didn't know existed...

Cars you didn't know existed...

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

saaby93

28,010 posts

142 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
Red Devil said:
I reckon the Datsun 240Z borrowed a few cues from that. Ditto Ferrari for the front end of the 308/348/355.
De Tomaso too?

Red Devil

12,442 posts

172 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
yes

Jazzy Jag

2,816 posts

55 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
threespires said:
Liege on the Kyrle trial April 2004

Are you still using the Reliant engine or swapped it for the Suzuki 3cyl?

Dapster

5,095 posts

144 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
threespires said:
I found these Jaguars on line

Jaguar did actually produce a prototype XJ-S coupe without the buttresses (note badged "Daimler" with the fluted grill)




Matt Cup

2,257 posts

68 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
Is that a T-top?

ajprice

20,177 posts

160 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
Matt Cup said:
Is that a T-top?
i was going to ask the same thing. It looks a lot better than the only hard top for the convertible XJS I can find, made by Arden.


AstonZagato

10,206 posts

174 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
Vauxhall XVR concept

Dapster

5,095 posts

144 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
Matt Cup said:
Is that a T-top?
Looks like it.

There must have been a few prototypes as there is also this one with XJ40 wheels and smoked rear lights.

Seems the roots of the concept were when Jag were trying to develop the removeable hardtop (a la Merc SL) which wasn't feasible, but sufficient work had been done to build a hardtop prototype. The car didn't do well in customer clinics compared to the coupe or convertible and the project was shelved.

https://www.jaguarheritage.com/car/1986-daimler-xj...


generationx

3,629 posts

69 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
AstonZagato said:
Vauxhall XVR concept
I remember seeing that somewhere before - what a great looking thing, something HotWheels would be proud of!

Hobbes003

60 posts

18 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
Matt Cup said:
Is that a T-top?
Yes. They used an XJ-SC as the base vehicle.

The car still exists, it's in the Jaguar Heritage collection.

Banham sold a similar vehicle as the XJS FHC:

Composer62

608 posts

50 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
Dapster said:
Matt Cup said:
Is that a T-top?
Looks like it.

There must have been a few prototypes as there is also this one with XJ40 wheels and smoked rear lights.

Seems the roots of the concept were when Jag were trying to develop the removeable hardtop (a la Merc SL) which wasn't feasible, but sufficient work had been done to build a hardtop prototype. The car didn't do well in customer clinics compared to the coupe or convertible and the project was shelved.

https://www.jaguarheritage.com/car/1986-daimler-xj...

I wish Jaguar had asked me about it in 1986. I think it looks great. Very elegant.

Hobbes003

60 posts

18 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
threespires said:
I found these Jaguars on line
That's a photoshop, but not as farfetched as it seems. The first drawings and mockups for what became the XJ6 series I were very much based on the E-type:




Fast Bug

9,276 posts

125 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
AstonZagato said:
Vauxhall XVR concept
Shades of Opel GT in that

Hugo a Gogo

22,926 posts

197 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
ajprice said:
Matt Cup said:
Is that a T-top?
i was going to ask the same thing. It looks a lot better than the only hard top for the convertible XJS I can find, made by Arden.

also from near Düsseldorf, I think they're in Krefeld

saaby93

28,010 posts

142 months

Benni

3,150 posts

175 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
Fast Bug said:
Shades of Opel GT in that
...and of the Cheetah "for when an AC Cobra is too soft"

Opel should have just produced a slightly more modern version of the GT, classic sportscar lines without silly performance,

a 2&2 for singles, couples and small families, to keep as 2nd car even if the inevitable Pampers Bomber wagon had to be bought.

Jazzy Jag

2,816 posts

55 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all



Not sure about the reg plate, thought? yikes

CanAm

6,850 posts

236 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
Benni said:
...and of the Cheetah "for when an AC Cobra is too soft"

Opel should have just produced a slightly more modern version of the GT, classic sportscar lines without silly performance,

a 2&2 for singles, couples and small families, to keep as 2nd car even if the inevitable Pampers Bomber wagon had to be bought.
I've seen a Cheetah in course of renovation. The engine is mounted so far back, there is no propshaft - the gearbox bolts directly to the diff. No wonder the cockpit got hot!

Jimmy Recard

17,360 posts

143 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
saaby93 said:
The inventor of the speed camera. tt hehe

CanAm

6,850 posts

236 months

Friday 10th April 2020
quotequote all
Jimmy Recard said:
The inventor of the speed camera. tt hehe
Except he designed to help his car go faster!
TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED