SLEEPERS! Anyone have a street sleeper here!

SLEEPERS! Anyone have a street sleeper here!

Author
Discussion

Chicane-UK

3,861 posts

162 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
ukzz4iroc said:
Didn't happen to be around Southam did it? I remember a Corrado leaving me in its dust when I had a A4 Audi S-Line wink Man that thing was unbelieveably fast
Indeed it is around there.. that's where the tuners are based but they have a LOT of fast Corrado's around there getting work done!

richinleeds

738 posts

177 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
ukzz4iroc said:
Didn't happen to be around Southam did it? I remember a Corrado leaving me in its dust when I had a A4 Audi S-Line wink Man that thing was unbelieveably fast
Yeah those A4 S-Lines are rapid..................tongue out

juan king

1,093 posts

166 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
McWigglebum4th said:


One of these two cars has 400Bhp
doesn't the 6 foot square intercooler give the game away a little?

Red16

589 posts

145 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
Not mine, but one of my favourite sleepers, Wenny's mk3 Escort Cosworth cool



Here's a video of it doing 0-60mph in 2.74 seconds.

http://youtu.be/yvJUzmAcNPo

It's a bit less discreet now with a proper roll cage, different wheels and more power (circa 650bhp) but has done a 9.9 second 1/4 mile, which is bloody quick in anyones book!

Edited by Red16 on Saturday 16th March 16:23

petrolsniffer

2,461 posts

151 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all




400bhp iirc

mighty kitten

431 posts

110 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
That's a proper sleeper , Steels and no clues

Red16

589 posts

145 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
IIRC the mk3 Escort and mk4 Escort van were built by the same person.

Panda76

2,402 posts

127 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
Not mine,but a bloke up the road has a really ratty looking Skoda pickup.
Underneath the bonnet is a V8 of to me unknown litres.I know one thing,when he opens it up,it shifts.
Always have a smile at that one.

Buff Mchugelarge

3,312 posts

127 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
I once got quite literately left at the lights by an old VW camper on Worthing seafront.
Luckily no one was around to see it as I was in my S1 106 Rallye!

By the time I got to 3rd gear I gave up, I reckon it must've been hiding a tweaked Porsche lump as it nearly wheelied off the line! Impressive none the less!

themanwithnoname

1,634 posts

190 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
mighty kitten said:
ModernAndy said:
so how the hell did that get to 600bhp? Original Saab engine or v8, etc.?
Stock b234 motor with a Holset he531 vgt blower from a diesel dodge ram , 89lb compressor with an a/r of over 2.0 with the vane wife open so very low back pressure at high boost . Siemens 870cc injectors and quaife atb in the box . 540hp is usually the limit for stock pistons but the vgt allowed a bit more due to better flow and lower egt

Ran 13.2 at 122mph at pod .
Very nice, blows my old Aero into the weeds, and makes it look positively sensible. I miss that car. I miss it a lot.

TameRacingDriver

15,281 posts

249 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
Can I ask the people on here with sleepers, whats the insurance like on those? I'm really thinking of going sleeper for my next car. I thought a Lupo with a 1.8T, coilovers, and steelies would be rather amusing....

Grenoble

44,136 posts

132 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
Mx5 mk1 + LS1 engine is my aspiration....

ArnieVXR

2,449 posts

160 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
I suppose my old Monaro might not count, as it's meant to be a fast car with 398ps in stock form. Modding it to 1200hp with twin turbos and a seven litre engine meant it ran the quarter quicker than a Veyron:



The only clue to its altered nature being the 15-inch rims on the back end. Sadly, I was never challenged to a street race. I'm guessing that a big red muscle car is just too obvious.

The engine is now partly transplanted into a dark green Audi 80 coupe. The turbos and injectors are bigger, so power will be up. The last engine in this car ran well over 1500hp, so it has got to be one of the most potent sleepers ever:


rehab71

3,362 posts

167 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
Red16 said:
Not mine, but one of my favourite sleepers, Wenny's mk3 Escort Cosworth cool



Here's a video of it doing 0-60mph in 2.74 seconds.

http://youtu.be/yvJUzmAcNPo

It's a bit less discreet now with a proper roll cage, different wheels and more power (circa 650bhp) but has done a 9.9 second 1/4 mile, which is bloody quick in anyones book!

Edited by Red16 on Saturday 16th March 16:23
So much want!

Ordinary_Chap

7,520 posts

220 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
ArnieVXR said:
I suppose my old Monaro might not count, as it's meant to be a fast car with 398ps in stock form. Modding it to 1200hp with twin turbos and a seven litre engine meant it ran the quarter quicker than a Veyron:



The only clue to its altered nature being the 15-inch rims on the back end. Sadly, I was never challenged to a street race. I'm guessing that a big red muscle car is just too obvious.

The engine is now partly transplanted into a dark green Audi 80 coupe. The turbos and injectors are bigger, so power will be up. The last engine in this car ran well over 1500hp, so it has got to be one of the most potent sleepers ever:

Love it and I recall following your other thread before I believe the Monaro meet an untimely end.

I'd have to say though if I saw those wheels on the Audi, I'd wonder what its packing! smile

SlowStig

815 posts

148 months

Saturday 16th March 2013
quotequote all
I have a sleeper, two if you count my Mazda.

Metro(the quicker), VVC160 engine with P&P head, reground exhaust cam and other bits and pieces. Other than the Compomotive alloys it just looks like a standard metro(ish).




My daily is a Mazda3 MPS, 260bhp with ~280lb/ft of torque in boring eurobox grey.

I hate the thing but it certainly surprised a few people who dont know about the MPS range...

Art0ir

9,390 posts

147 months

Sunday 17th March 2013
quotequote all
Stevieturbo's 200mph Ford Granada is still my favourite.

soad

31,324 posts

153 months

Sunday 17th March 2013
quotequote all
mighty kitten said:
That's a proper sleeper , Steels and no clues
yes

Si_steve

1,070 posts

167 months

Sunday 17th March 2013
quotequote all
It's lost some of it's sleeper qualities but before being matt blacked it took a few cars by surprise





krissharm

2,223 posts

116 months

Sunday 17th March 2013
quotequote all
slomax said:
Encouraged by this thread i went looking to see if there were any 93 Viggens for sale- I have just spotted this beaut

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C366394



I WANT IT SO MUCH
want!