Seriously Overpriced Cars

Seriously Overpriced Cars

Author
Discussion

ambuletz

9,283 posts

145 months

Sunday 3rd January
quotequote all

Leftfootwonder

940 posts

22 months

Monday 4th January
quotequote all
ambuletz said:
The interior matches his hair!

dxg

6,067 posts

224 months

Monday 4th January
quotequote all
Leftfootwonder said:
ambuletz said:
The interior matches his hair!
Matches his skin, more like!

Lester H

1,452 posts

69 months

Wednesday 6th January
quotequote all
This weeks Classic Car weekly: Preproduction Range Rover Velar, one of 23, restored in 1990s, reduced from £195k to 155k. Yes,I worked in the trade, I am well aware of ‘ something is worth what it is worth, when and where it is wanted.’ But.......

aaron_2000

4,443 posts

47 months

Wednesday 6th January
quotequote all
Not the right thread for it but didn't think it was worth it's own, does that bonnet fit line look off to anyone else? Look at the bumper to wing alignment on the 9th photo too

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009284...

Taylor James

3,111 posts

25 months

Wednesday 6th January
quotequote all
Lester H said:
This weeks Classic Car weekly: Preproduction Range Rover Velar, one of 23, restored in 1990s, reduced from £195k to 155k. Yes,I worked in the trade, I am well aware of ‘ something is worth what it is worth, when and where it is wanted.’ But.......
Might just be perception but it seems to me there's a lot of stuff coming out of store and being sold right now. I wonder if it's a sign of the squeeze taking effect.

randomman

2,199 posts

153 months

Wednesday 6th January
quotequote all
Bloxxcreative said:
This reminds me of the time a random man, let a 12 year old me and a friend, paint his Morris minor with black emulsion.
You didn't do a bad job tbh

Lester H

1,452 posts

69 months

Wednesday 6th January
quotequote all
Taylor James said:
Lester H said:
This weeks Classic Car weekly: Preproduction Range Rover Velar, one of 23, restored in 1990s, reduced from £195k to 155k. Yes,I worked in the trade, I am well aware of ‘ something is worth what it is worth, when and where it is wanted.’ But.......
Might just be perception but it seems to me there's a lot of stuff coming out of store and being sold right now. I wonder if it's a sign of the squeeze taking effect.
Interesting response. The example of the Velar is peripheral to this, but I have seen no sign of more mainstream stock - classic or not- becoming cheaper.Hard to assess, as classic mags have an interest in hyping prices, in order to please their advertisers and justify ‘funny money’ restorations of humdrum cars. One angle is that potential buyers have saved cash during so-called lockdown.Then again, another angle, the Velar has been reduced.

d_a_n1979

2,642 posts

36 months

Wednesday 6th January
quotequote all
aaron_2000 said:
Not the right thread for it but didn't think it was worth it's own, does that bonnet fit line look off to anyone else? Look at the bumper to wing alignment on the 9th photo too

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009284...
Yeah it's all off

Wonder if the rubber adjusters need adjusting.. That's do my OCD nut in laugh

krisdelta

4,163 posts

165 months

Wednesday 6th January
quotequote all
aaron_2000 said:
Not the right thread for it but didn't think it was worth it's own, does that bonnet fit line look off to anyone else? Look at the bumper to wing alignment on the 9th photo too

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009284...
An £85k car and someone has looked at that and thought - "that's fine".

patmahe

5,369 posts

168 months

Thursday 7th January
quotequote all
krisdelta said:
aaron_2000 said:
Not the right thread for it but didn't think it was worth it's own, does that bonnet fit line look off to anyone else? Look at the bumper to wing alignment on the 9th photo too

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009284...
An £85k car and someone has looked at that and thought - "that's fine".
Thats the thing, if its that obvious to a bunch of casual observers on a car forum then, how can it not be obvious to someone in the trade, if I was about to spend 85k and spotted that, I'd be wondering what else has been overlooked here.

I would imagine it is just bonnet adjusters rather than accident damage but its not a good sign on such a high value, low mileage car.

Nefos

140 posts

48 months

Thursday 7th January
quotequote all
patmahe said:
Thats the thing, if its that obvious to a bunch of casual observers on a car forum then, how can it not be obvious to someone in the trade, if I was about to spend 85k and spotted that, I'd be wondering what else has been overlooked here.

I would imagine it is just bonnet adjusters rather than accident damage but its not a good sign on such a high value, low mileage car.
Isn`t these things are normal, and should be solved in PDI, so when the customer is actually getting the car, it is sorted? There is a chance that this car is pre-PDI. not saying it is right, it is just odd

lowdrag

11,312 posts

177 months

Friday 8th January
quotequote all
On the subject of rust and old cars, where I lived back in the 60s farmers had their new vehicles delivered with the paraffin wax still on to help protect them. Seemed to work too!

johnoz

771 posts

156 months

Leftfootwonder

940 posts

22 months

Monday 11th January
quotequote all

andburg

4,584 posts

133 months

Monday 11th January
quotequote all
its junk but these days you can buy a a whole new shell for a mini...not sure on the van but I'd expect the value here is in the V5 and chassis number, but probably not £3k plus when restored ones are around for £15k.

I expect any buyer would re-shell this and create a new "old" mini van.

robinessex

9,167 posts

145 months

Monday 11th January
quotequote all
Leftfootwonder said:
Probably a few mates !!

d_a_n1979

2,642 posts

36 months

Monday 11th January
quotequote all
06 335i touring

'Literally has every option...'

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E91-335i-M-Sport-To...

Aye; ok rolleyeslaugh

Bemmer

828 posts

166 months

Monday 11th January
quotequote all
d_a_n1979 said:
06 335i touring

'Literally has every option...'l

Aye; ok rolleyeslaugh
"Literally every option" EXCEPT Pan Sun Roof,Harman Kardon,19" Alloys,Xenons,Met paint......

ro250

1,306 posts

21 months

Monday 11th January
quotequote all
robinessex said:
Leftfootwonder said:
Probably a few mates !!
Isn't it the case that you're really buying the title to 'restore' the car? So the value is in that rather than the metal itself. I know nothing about these sort of cars but a 30 second google turned up restored ones for £15k+