Seriously Overpriced Cars

Seriously Overpriced Cars

Author
Discussion

E63eeeeee...

365 posts

13 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
Fun Bus said:
2strokebroke said:
Jesus, that money gets you in to a decent E39 M5.
But not everyone wants an E39 M5.
Sure, but the point is when you try to sell something you have to think about who's going to buy it, because that helps you set the price sensibly. So the question here is what kind of buyer is going to spend 15k on an unremarkable 520i rather than an E39 M5 or E46 M3. I can be pretty confident that buyers for those two cars at that kind of price exist - I can even describe some of them. There's people who want something iconic but usable, or people who have seen those cars go up in value and want an investment. There are also a lot of other, very desirable cars for 15k. What I'm struggling to work out is what's the market for a 15k 25 year old 520i.

Anyway, I hope you manage to sell it.

HM-2

5,810 posts

133 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
E63eeeeee... said:
Fun Bus said:
2strokebroke said:
Jesus, that money gets you in to a decent E39 M5.
But not everyone wants an E39 M5.
Sure, but the point is when you try to sell something you have to think about who's going to buy it, because that helps you set the price sensibly. So the question here is what kind of buyer is going to spend 15k on an unremarkable 520i rather than an E39 M5 or E46 M3. I can be pretty confident that buyers for those two cars at that kind of price exist - I can even describe some of them. There's people who want something iconic but usable, or people who have seen those cars go up in value and want an investment. There are also a lot of other, very desirable cars for 15k. What I'm struggling to work out is what's the market for a 15k 25 year old 520i.

Anyway, I hope you manage to sell it.
I'm pretty sure that not one single individual in the world exists who'd rather have a poverty spec E34 520i than an E39 M5.

B'stard Child

21,860 posts

210 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
HM-2 said:
I'm pretty sure that not one single individual in the world exists who'd rather have a poverty spec E34 520i than an E39 M5.
Hello - I’d take a 520 E34 (it didn’t look poverty spec btw) over an E39 M5 everyday of the week - it’d be a nice way to travel without worrying about the potential for bork, M tax or points on the licence.

So there you go

PS I do think the seller is chancing his arm (a lot) but I’m sure it’ll end up against a white background for a little less having been purchased at a lot more reasonable price

Fun Bus

17,886 posts

182 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
It’s overpriced without doubt. I’d have an M3 or M5 instead. No hesitation.

BUT, not everyone wants what we on these pages wants. Some people have strange taste. Just like the seller of the 520 and the aftermarket wheels he liked.

E63eeeeee...

365 posts

13 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
B'stard Child said:
HM-2 said:
I'm pretty sure that not one single individual in the world exists who'd rather have a poverty spec E34 520i than an E39 M5.
Hello - I’d take a 520 E34 (it didn’t look poverty spec btw) over an E39 M5 everyday of the week - it’d be a nice way to travel without worrying about the potential for bork, M tax or points on the licence.

So there you go

PS I do think the seller is chancing his arm (a lot) but I’m sure it’ll end up against a white background for a little less having been purchased at a lot more reasonable price
Yes, nothing wrong with it as a car, it's a perfectly acceptable lazy, comfy barge, where I'd guess the market is around 3-5k. I'd still be a little concerned about bork if I had 15k in it, since I do wonder if it reached its 50,000 miles in 2 mile instalments, and the oil was last hot in about 2004.

Fun Bus

17,886 posts

182 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
It’s overpriced without doubt. I’d have an M3 or M5 instead. No hesitation.

BUT, not everyone wants what we on these pages wants. Some people have strange taste. Just like the seller of the 520 and the aftermarket wheels he liked.

aaron_2000

4,451 posts

47 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all

Super Sonic

9 posts

18 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
HM-2 said:
andburg said:
irish boy said:
I know jap stuff is going for high prices these days but just can't get my head around £25k for this shape civic.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1326184
standard "i know what its worth"

there absolutely are people out there willing to pay over the odds for a specific car based on any number of reasons but in most cases that's just to park up look at and sell on to the next guy doing the same.
That might be worth £20k+ if it was completely standard, but with cheap coilovers and a few other mods thrown on it ruins the originality appeal.
There's another one further down the page for £15k. Makes my 02 accord R seem like a bargain at £4.5k! Gen 6 is the best civic though!

pablo

15,525 posts

237 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
aaron_2000 said:
I do wonder if someone will pay it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-F-Ford-Orion-1-6-1...
Nope. That’s insane....people assume old + not many left = £££££

d_a_n1979

2,643 posts

36 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
Super Sonic said:
HM-2 said:
andburg said:
irish boy said:
I know jap stuff is going for high prices these days but just can't get my head around £25k for this shape civic.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1326184
standard "i know what its worth"

there absolutely are people out there willing to pay over the odds for a specific car based on any number of reasons but in most cases that's just to park up look at and sell on to the next guy doing the same.
That might be worth £20k+ if it was completely standard, but with cheap coilovers and a few other mods thrown on it ruins the originality appeal.
There's another one further down the page for £15k. Makes my 02 accord R seem like a bargain at £4.5k! Gen 6 is the best civic though!
The EK9 is a fantastic car and the original Civic Type R...

But it's not and never will be a £25k car...

d_a_n1979

2,643 posts

36 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
HM-2 said:
andburg said:
irish boy said:
I know jap stuff is going for high prices these days but just can't get my head around £25k for this shape civic.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1326184
standard "i know what its worth"

there absolutely are people out there willing to pay over the odds for a specific car based on any number of reasons but in most cases that's just to park up look at and sell on to the next guy doing the same.
That might be worth £20k+ if it was completely standard, but with cheap coilovers and a few other mods thrown on it ruins the originality appeal.
The coilovers aren't 'cheap'... BCs are well known, tried and tested. Yes, OK, they're not Nitrons etc, but they're also not stty coilovers like JOM etc...

But do get what you're saying, the car is stupidly over priced

TheJimi

19,474 posts

207 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
BC's are mid-range, at best, I'd say.

Sure, not the worst, mind.

s m

20,623 posts

167 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
aaron_2000 said:
I do wonder if someone will pay it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-F-Ford-Orion-1-6-1...
Definitely a case of find another
Could see it going for 10 as ordinary Ghias with 4 times that mileage fetch 5-6k

d_a_n1979

2,643 posts

36 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
TheJimi said:
BC's are mid-range, at best, I'd say.

Sure, not the worst, mind.
Absolutely that's what they are and always have been. They're at a point in the market that everyone can afford them and they're a great way into running good coilovers on a car.

Certainly not top end, but deffo not budget... And there is some budget ste out there

sim72

3,908 posts

98 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
andburg said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124664119385

£25k for a T4 camper, sure its low miles but its not a T2!
I imagine the cupboards are full of marching power the seller has sampled when setting price.
Mint T4 campers go for between 10-15K, they're definitely pushing that one on the mileage.



2strokebroke

28 posts

1 month

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
aaron_2000 said:
I do wonder if someone will pay it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-F-Ford-Orion-1-6-1...
I like it. I certainly wouldn't spaff £15k on it though.

WCZ

8,372 posts

158 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
Nismo GTR surely has to go in here, £185,000+ and really not that special, an absoulte rip

Squirrelofwoe

2,932 posts

140 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
Super Sonic said:
HM-2 said:
andburg said:
irish boy said:
I know jap stuff is going for high prices these days but just can't get my head around £25k for this shape civic.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1326184
standard "i know what its worth"

there absolutely are people out there willing to pay over the odds for a specific car based on any number of reasons but in most cases that's just to park up look at and sell on to the next guy doing the same.
That might be worth £20k+ if it was completely standard, but with cheap coilovers and a few other mods thrown on it ruins the originality appeal.
There's another one further down the page for £15k. Makes my 02 accord R seem like a bargain at £4.5k! Gen 6 is the best civic though!
I sold my Pirates Black 99 Accord R for £1,600 and that was only 6 or so years ago! cry

I'd previously sold my DC2 Integra for £3,800 a couple of years before and felt like I'd done really well...

I can recall seeing EK9s up for £7k and thinking that was very strong money compared to the equivalent Integra, which I always felt was more desirable. £25k is crazy money. I was at least expecting it to be sub 20k mileage or similar for that kind of price! rotate


PhantomPH

3,678 posts

189 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
s m said:
aaron_2000 said:
I do wonder if someone will pay it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-F-Ford-Orion-1-6-1...
Definitely a case of find another
Could see it going for 10 as ordinary Ghias with 4 times that mileage fetch 5-6k
Sometimes, I have to counter the 'find another' comment with 'why would you want to?'. biggrin Ha ha. Pretty sure my dog's turd this morning was unique, but I didn't feel compelled to hunt out another...or even keep that one! wink

Not directed at you guys, but I am stunned the countless times in this thread, people seem to think that 'old' = 'valuable'. Page after page of cars which were st when new and are no less st now...but because enough time has passed people are even getting moist-eyed over things like Morris Marinas and Austin Allegros. Is this what the EV revolution has driven us to???? Won't someone think of the children??!!!!

s m

20,623 posts

167 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
PhantomPH said:
s m said:
aaron_2000 said:
I do wonder if someone will pay it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-F-Ford-Orion-1-6-1...
Definitely a case of find another
Could see it going for 10 as ordinary Ghias with 4 times that mileage fetch 5-6k
Sometimes, I have to counter the 'find another' comment with 'why would you want to?'. biggrin Ha ha. Pretty sure my dog's turd this morning was unique, but I didn't feel compelled to hunt out another...or even keep that one! wink

Not directed at you guys, but I am stunned the countless times in this thread, people seem to think that 'old' = 'valuable'. Page after page of cars which were st when new and are no less st now...but because enough time has passed people are even getting moist-eyed over things like Morris Marinas and Austin Allegros. Is this what the EV revolution has driven us to???? Won't someone think of the children??!!!!
Well I’m sure there are cars you like that others don’t

Personally I’d be quite happy to daily that as something a bit different for less than a new Honda Jazz or something bland. Quite enjoyed Orion Ghia 1.6is back when new and this looks like a decent example of much the same

Each to their own though eh!