RE: Next Glickenhaus aims for 6:30 Nurburgring lap

RE: Next Glickenhaus aims for 6:30 Nurburgring lap

Author
Discussion

rtz62

1,917 posts

105 months

Tuesday 21st February 2017
quotequote all
gigglebug said:
rtz62 said:
Imagine the scene;
A well-heeled man walks into his local winebar, throws down a brand new car key at the table occupied by his friends, and says 'Ive got a Glickenhaus"
Said friends shuffle uncomfortably, look down into their glasses of grappa, before one pipes up "So Tarquin, how long have they given you to live?"
Stupid name, just stupid.....
I'm not sure why it's stupid even if it doesn't roll off the tongue as well as some? He's not the first and he won't be the last to his surname for his car, it's kinda what folks do.

rtz62 said:
Which reminds me, which record are they looking at breaking? The one for production, street-legal, the non-series/non-road legal, or competition? I may be having a 'senior moment' but i'm not clear which the vonGlinkenhoff or whatever its name is, is aiming for, as the article does share a quote, saying "It's road legal but apparently even closer in spirit to the race car - "even more extreme and raw than the road car", no less - with a racing wing and racing suspension with very small concession to road use. ....?
I don't think it's his personal car, and the one the quote is referring to, that is being used to set the record. It's the updated S version of standard car that will be used and is available to customers.
My sense of humour obviously evades you.
And as for the car, my question still stands, unanswered as far as I can see, which record is it and what type of car are they claiming to use? I'm wondering if the CS name may be a clue.....?

Napolis

293 posts

163 months

Tuesday 21st February 2017
quotequote all
AshBurrows said:
This thing is absolutely great. I'd love to know more about the design and engineering process. I worked on the Nio EP9 surface development which is similarly low volume and high performance.

Really hope it smashes that 6:30!
http://www.scg003project.com/

gigglebug

1,511 posts

72 months

Tuesday 21st February 2017
quotequote all
rtz62 said:
My sense of humour obviously evades you.
And as for the car, my question still stands, unanswered as far as I can see, which record is it and what type of car are they claiming to use? I'm wondering if the CS name may be a clue.....?
Yeah sorry, must have missed it. Maybe a smily face next time? smile

The article does seem pretty clear to me though. It will be the SCG003S that will used for the record attempt, and is being shown at the Geneva show, and seeing as the time 6.57 is quoted as the benchmark they are obviously trying to beat (by over 20 seconds!!) the production car record of the 918.

The article then goes on to explain that his own personal car, a one off hence not a production car, will also be on show at Geneva. It has nothing to do with the record attempt though by the looks of things.

Evilex

488 posts

54 months

Tuesday 21st February 2017
quotequote all
SevenR said:
In this day and age, can they not get rid of mirrors?

One issue is the legality of having "viewing screens" operating in the cockpit whilst the driver is driving.
The second is that the use of a single camera per side compromises our (naturally) stereoscopic perspective. It is this which allows us to gauge the distance of objects in our mirrors, which influences our decision making when driving.
I guess tech will eventually overcome this limitation.
For 'ring laps, just rip the mirrors off and tape up the panel gaps, right?

Also : only available as a kit in the US to circumvent stringent airbag and crash test regs (source: Wikipedia)

And what's with the nomenclature? Sounds like a Ferrari, but isn't. Built by an auto company from Turin that sounds like FIAT , but isn't... Weird.

Scho

2,329 posts

153 months

Tuesday 21st February 2017
quotequote all
Ugly bd isn't it though?

fph

38 posts

67 months

Tuesday 21st February 2017
quotequote all
The first SCG003 and the Glickenhaus Ferrari P4/5 were at Goodwood a couple of years ago. Both cars were very impressive and Mr Glickenhaus was happy to spend time talking about his passion for the cars and using them on road and track.

Yipper

5,964 posts

40 months

Tuesday 21st February 2017
quotequote all
This is a clickbait press release based on nothing more than a catchy number plucked out of thin air.

Very poor reporting and analysis.

Striple

97 posts

91 months

Tuesday 21st February 2017
quotequote all
Kawasicki said:
Good grief - just what is the point of 'Ring records.

I am just not interested in the continued development of consistently fast, competent cars that can deal with odd cambers and bumpy surfaces. I live in London, like all PH readers, and therefore this car could never be used in the real world. I mean, does anyone in the world ever drive over 80mph anyway? This is just about pub bragging rights.

Am I doing this right?
I think this flew quite far over a few heads... You could have added you would rather have (insert current trend car here, let's say a Porsche 911 variant)

ex1

2,722 posts

186 months

Tuesday 21st February 2017
quotequote all
All that tech and still no hope of getting anywhere near Bellofs 6:11. Incredible to think of the advances we've made in the last 30 years and his record still stands. i know there are supposed to be production cars but that's a pretty lose term looking at this thing.

IanCormac

1,894 posts

143 months

Wednesday 22nd February 2017
quotequote all
Napolis said:
No.

Over 40 years I have put hundreds of thousands of road miles on former race cars.

Driving into the sun rise in a car that Mark and Bruce finished 4Th OA at Le Mans in 67 or driving through the rain through the mountains of Sicily in a 1947 159s that Raymond won the Turin GP in or driving through the dessert in a Baja Buggy that Steve won the Baja 500 in isn't something you soon forget.

It's the journey not the destination and driving our S on the roads you love with someone you love isn't something you'll forget either.

The wing mirrors are currently required. They also house cameras that appear on dash screens. They also trim wake vortices so all is not lost.

If any of you get to Geneva do have a look and say hello.

Cheers




Edited by Napolis on Tuesday 21st February 17:12
Who'll be driving your new car around the ring then? Do you do it? I would be crapping myself going full bore around there at the sort of speed you'll need.

Edited by IanCormac on Wednesday 22 February 00:41

saxy

215 posts

74 months

Wednesday 22nd February 2017
quotequote all
ex1 said:
All that tech and still no hope of getting anywhere near Bellofs 6:11. Incredible to think of the advances we've made in the last 30 years and his record still stands. i know there are supposed to be production cars but that's a pretty lose term looking at this thing.
First of all... comparing a race car and a road car is stupid. Nonetheless 6:30 for a car on road tires would equal about 6:15 on racing slicks... doesn't sound so bad for something being road legal. Any LMP1 or formula 1 car would destroy Bellofs record

ex1

2,722 posts

186 months

Wednesday 22nd February 2017
quotequote all
saxy said:
ex1 said:
All that tech and still no hope of getting anywhere near Bellofs 6:11. Incredible to think of the advances we've made in the last 30 years and his record still stands. i know there are supposed to be production cars but that's a pretty lose term looking at this thing.
First of all... comparing a race car and a road car is stupid. Nonetheless 6:30 for a car on road tires would equal about 6:15 on racing slicks... doesn't sound so bad for something being road legal. Any LMP1 or formula 1 car would destroy Bellofs record
Given developments over the last 30 years its still pretty astonishing no one has gone quicker, even on "street" tyres.

gigglebug

1,511 posts

72 months

Wednesday 22nd February 2017
quotequote all
ex1 said:
saxy said:
ex1 said:
All that tech and still no hope of getting anywhere near Bellofs 6:11. Incredible to think of the advances we've made in the last 30 years and his record still stands. i know there are supposed to be production cars but that's a pretty lose term looking at this thing.
First of all... comparing a race car and a road car is stupid. Nonetheless 6:30 for a car on road tires would equal about 6:15 on racing slicks... doesn't sound so bad for something being road legal. Any LMP1 or formula 1 car would destroy Bellofs record
Given developments over the last 30 years its still pretty astonishing no one has gone quicker, even on "street" tyres.
Your still asking the wrong question though. Have a look at what production road cars were available in 1983 when the record was set then ask yourself how close they would be to the 918's 6.57. That's the measure of progress made.

Olivera

3,727 posts

189 months

Wednesday 22nd February 2017
quotequote all
ex1 said:
All that tech and still no hope of getting anywhere near Bellofs 6:11. Incredible to think of the advances we've made in the last 30 years and his record still stands. i know there are supposed to be production cars but that's a pretty lose term looking at this thing.
If you extrapolate the top VLN/Nurburgring 24h GT3 cars to just the North Loop (not including GP track) then they are getting very close to Bellof's record. I'm pretty sure a concerted GT3 effort could get close to 6:11, perhaps beating it by many seconds if they took the intake restrictors off.

Furthermore a current DTM car did a lap a few months ago, recording an (iirc) not quite full 6:30 lap with various points of slowing down. It's clear to me that a DTM car running at full pace would easily smash the 6.11 record and by some margin.

Napolis

293 posts

163 months

Wednesday 22nd February 2017
quotequote all
IanCormac said:
Who'll be driving your new car around the ring then? Do you do it? I would be crapping myself going full bore around there at the sort of speed you'll need.

Edited by IanCormac on Wednesday 22 February 00:41
A pro with a lot of Ring experience.

Napolis

293 posts

163 months

Wednesday 22nd February 2017
quotequote all
Olivera said:
If you extrapolate the top VLN/Nurburgring 24h GT3 cars to just the North Loop (not including GP track) then they are getting very close to Bellof's record. I'm pretty sure a concerted GT3 effort could get close to 6:11, perhaps beating it by many seconds if they took the intake restrictors off.

Furthermore a current DTM car did a lap a few months ago, recording an (iirc) not quite full 6:30 lap with various points of slowing down. It's clear to me that a DTM car running at full pace would easily smash the 6.11 record and by some margin.
I think current GT3's and our C which is BOP'd to the same standard as the top cars are kissing 6:20 on the NS. In a VLN our telemetry showed us just under 6:21. Stephen (RIP) had a good tow from Jackie in an identical car and the track was a bit faster then but still it was an incredible drive.

During the VLN we're BOP'd to about 500HP, 600NM of torque and 100KG of ballast. Our S will have 800HP, 850MN of torque and be lighter. Road Tires make a huge difference and a road legal set that can last for a full NS lap at speed isn't a given. Dunlop is developing a specific road tire for us and we remain hopeful. This is how we came up with our 6:30 S estimate. As an aside we believe that there is no road legal tire capable of putting down more than about 750HP/800NM of torque even with our S's net downforce of 900KG and 2 G's mechanical grip so HP/Torque above that is simply engaging TC and frankly wasted on a road course on road tires. Huge HP/Torque do determine VMAX by pushing through drag but we think our 217MPH VMAX is sufficient. The most important number for me is aero ratio (How many units of downforce generated for every unit of drag) Our S is 3. Most GT3's are about 2 and our C is close to an LMP2.

Cheers

gigglebug

1,511 posts

72 months

Wednesday 22nd February 2017
quotequote all
Yipper said:
This is a clickbait press release based on nothing more than a catchy number plucked out of thin air.

Very poor reporting and analysis.
Napolis said:
During the VLN we're BOP'd to about 500HP, 600NM of torque and 100KG of ballast. Our S will have 800HP, 850MN of torque and be lighter. Road Tires make a huge difference and a road legal set that can last for a full NS lap at speed isn't a given. Dunlop is developing a specific road tire for us and we remain hopeful. This is how we came up with our 6:30 S estimate. As an aside we believe that there is no road legal tire capable of putting down more than about 750HP/800NM of torque even with our S's net downforce of 900KG and 2 G's mechanical grip so HP/Torque above that is simply engaging TC and frankly wasted on a road course on road tires. Huge HP/Torque do determine VMAX by pushing through drag but we think our 217MPH VMAX is sufficient. The most important number for me is aero ratio (How many units of downforce generated for every unit of drag) Our S is 3. Most GT3's are about 2 and our C is close to an LMP2.

Cheers
And your positive that this isn't just click bait based on nothing more than a catchy number plucked out of thin air Napolis? I mean surely Yippers credentials and reasoning speak for themselves? smile

gigglebug

1,511 posts

72 months

Wednesday 22nd February 2017
quotequote all
Just out of interest what would you predict the original road cars time to be around the ring Napolis?

Napolis

293 posts

163 months

Wednesday 22nd February 2017
quotequote all
gigglebug said:
And your positive that this isn't just click bait based on nothing more than a catchy number plucked out of thin air Napolis? I mean surely Yippers credentials and reasoning speak for themselves? smile
smile

DanielSan

14,685 posts

117 months

Wednesday 22nd February 2017
quotequote all
That is one serious bit of kit! Even if it doesn't manage a 6:30, just to beet the production car record will be an achievement given the difference in size/budget of SCG vs Porsche...