Any Known Coolant Problems with Ford 1.5 Ecoboost?

Any Known Coolant Problems with Ford 1.5 Ecoboost?

Author
Discussion

paqs

Original Poster:

28 posts

118 months

Friday 9th June 2017
quotequote all
Having decided to avoid the 1.0 Ecoboost due its various coolant loss issues we decided to hold out for a 1.5 Ecoboost and bought a Focus zetec s 2015. It was bought with a report stating coolant level correct but actually needed a 1.5 litre top up!

Took it to dealer who pressure tested and found no fault with the coolant system.

Logged level cold this morning, 4 mile drive, let it cool for 2 hours then checked and its dropped a bit already.

So are there any known faults with the 1.5 ecoboost losing coolant?

Krikkit

18,723 posts

136 months

Friday 9th June 2017
quotequote all
Should've bought a 1.0 cos' it's fixed! Sorry, unhelpful. tongue out

paqs

Original Poster:

28 posts

118 months

Friday 9th June 2017
quotequote all
Krikkit said:
Should've bought a 1.0 cos' it's fixed! Sorry, unhelpful. tongue out
I'm not convinced it is though because there are at least 3 variants of coolant problems on the 1.0 models the latter of which is an engine case machining issue where the seal behind the water pump leaks.

GroundEffect

11,617 posts

111 months

Friday 9th June 2017
quotequote all
I designed it...I fking hope not!

IanCress

4,409 posts

121 months

Friday 9th June 2017
quotequote all
I've got a 1.5 Ecoboost and have no coolant issue. Never heard of any issues being reported either.

The only issue I have with it is the woeful off boost performance. I've driven plenty of modern turbo petrol cars and never found one as flat as the 1.5 ecoboost when off boost.

paqs

Original Poster:

28 posts

118 months

Friday 9th June 2017
quotequote all
IanCress said:
I've got a 1.5 Ecoboost and have no coolant issue. Never heard of any issues being reported either.

The only issue I have with it is the woeful off boost performance. I've driven plenty of modern turbo petrol cars and never found one as flat as the 1.5 ecoboost when off boost.
Dealer has told us to monitor the levels so I guess that's all we can do for now, when I first took the cap off the header tank it was extremely tight, took a lot force to get off, no evidence of it being cross threaded though, cap seals look good and if I take if off 10 mins after cool down can hear the pressure release so its holding pressure for a while.

When we put the bonnet up this morning (engine cold unstarted) to check the level, bubbles could be seen coming out from the main rubber pipe in the bottom of the header tank, seemed a bit odd, could there be air in the system?

GroundEffect

11,617 posts

111 months

Friday 9th June 2017
quotequote all
paqs said:
IanCress said:
I've got a 1.5 Ecoboost and have no coolant issue. Never heard of any issues being reported either.

The only issue I have with it is the woeful off boost performance. I've driven plenty of modern turbo petrol cars and never found one as flat as the 1.5 ecoboost when off boost.
Dealer has told us to monitor the levels so I guess that's all we can do for now, when I first took the cap off the header tank it was extremely tight, took a lot force to get off, no evidence of it being cross threaded though, cap seals look good and if I take if off 10 mins after cool down can hear the pressure release so its holding pressure for a while.

When we put the bonnet up this morning (engine cold unstarted) to check the level, bubbles could be seen coming out from the main rubber pipe in the bottom of the header tank, seemed a bit odd, could there be air in the system?
That's not bad if there's bubbles coming back up to the degas bottle. That means the routing is working as expected.

The gaps do have high force to remove in general.

It sounds like it wasn't filled perfectly from the plant tbh...


lee_erm

915 posts

148 months

Friday 9th June 2017
quotequote all
It's interesting that Ford can't shake off this image with the 1.0. The coolant issues are long since sorted.

It's far more robust engine than low capacity VAG TSI units, which frequently suffer from equally catastrophic failure. The issues with these engines absolutely are not sorted. Yet people have no qualms buying car with a 1.4 TSI engine.

paqs

Original Poster:

28 posts

118 months

Friday 9th June 2017
quotequote all
GroundEffect said:
That's not bad if there's bubbles coming back up to the degas bottle. That means the routing is working as expected.

The gaps do have high force to remove in general.

It sounds like it wasn't filled perfectly from the plant tbh...
But I would hope service 1 (a year ago) would have spotted if it hadn't been filled correctly from new and topped it up.

Assuming it was checked, 1 year and 11k miles after that service it needed 1.5 litres of coolant, what is an acceptable amount of coolant loss? I can't recall the last time I had to top up a vehicles coolant level.

Mondeolee

1 posts

10 months

Sunday 22nd September 2019
quotequote all
Our Mondeo 1.5 Ecoboost lost its coolant on June 15th 2019 they think they’ve fixed it 3 months later, still no car though, second time in dealers 7 weeks, they’ve changed the heat exchanger, they’re doing a recall now on battery fire risk, nightmare, I’m not convinced they’ve sorted the coolant issues with the 1.5 only used it for just over 2 months, bought second hand from dealer end of March 2019 it’s a 2015 1.5 Mondeo Titanium.

SidewaysSi

7,332 posts

189 months

Sunday 22nd September 2019
quotequote all
Not sure I would touch an Eco boost. I steered a family friend away from one recently as I have heard too much about reliability issues..

He has gone for something else entirely.

J4CKO

30,612 posts

155 months

Sunday 22nd September 2019
quotequote all
SidewaysSi said:
Not sure I would touch an Eco boost. I steered a family friend away from one recently as I have heard too much about reliability issues..

He has gone for something else entirely.
Yeah, PH has several 100 plus page threads running, loads of them stranded, nobody will touch them...

There were failures, due to the "Degas pipe" on the 1 litre versions but there are millions of these engine out there now and not really hearing of many failures.

We have one, its been fine for 5 years, not sure on the 1.5 though.

Edited by J4CKO on Sunday 22 September 11:46

paqs

Original Poster:

28 posts

118 months

Monday 23rd September 2019
quotequote all
My sons car was evevtually fixed by ford, it was the intercooler buried in the manfold that was leaking, it took 2 different dealers weeks to find it, the first dealer dented a door just to really top things off.

My sister recently had a clutch fail at 9k miles on a less than 1 year old CMAX, after the usual Ford BS of "its caused by driving style" they partially backed down and funded the parts cost but refused to cover the labour.

I've been driving Mercs for quite a few years now, the engineering is so much better and when there is a problem they deal with it superbly, I had a crankshaft sensor go intermittent on a 6 month old GLE coupe, first they sent a Merc tech to my house with a van full of diagnostic kit, when he couldn't diagnose it they trailered it to the dealer, dropped me off a brand new GLE and sorted it all out with no nonsense.

Toyoda

1,217 posts

55 months

Monday 23rd September 2019
quotequote all
Did the 2.0 Ecoboost ever suffer from this?

paqs

Original Poster:

28 posts

118 months

Monday 23rd September 2019
quotequote all
Toyoda said:
Did the 2.0 Ecoboost ever suffer from this?
There are bulletins for North America on the 2.0L maybe worldwide, I wouldn't touch a Ford car now and definitely not anything with one of their crappy Ecoboost turbo engines which is probably pretty much all petrol models including the RS range

The 2.0L bulletin reads:-

"3/30/2018 6275 - 2015-2018 Various Vehicles - 2.0L EcoBoost - Engine Runs Rough With Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304 And/Or P0316
Some 2015-2018 Fusion/MKZ/MKC/Escape/Edge vehicles equipped with a 2.0L EcoBoost engine may exhibit a runs rough condition with DTCs P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304 and/or P0316. This may be due to coolant intrusion due to corrosion on the engine block."