Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 13]

Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 13]

Author
Discussion

tobinen

4,568 posts

83 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
dme123 said:
Krikkit said:
Wibble.

dbdb will be along shortly to tell us everything about it is broken, but if I had 3 bags sitting around I would buy that.
I've not had any personal experience of the XJ40 V12, but I gather they were very heavy on front suspension components and had some odd NVH issues.
That XJ12 has a classic colour combination. I like. Where is dbdb? Not heard from him for a while

sly fox

1,716 posts

157 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
W00DY said:
Hmm 25 year old French car that may have spent its life by the sea.


£2850 on ebay? 7 bids?
Clearly crystal meth is easily obtainable these days.

Krikkit

14,190 posts

119 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
sly fox said:
Hmm 25 year old French car that may have spent its life by the sea.


£2850 on ebay? 7 bids?
Clearly crystal meth is easily obtainable these days.
Or, to put it another way, £2850 on what's possibly the last good example of a very good 90s saloon. With spotless-looking bodywork and a blemish-free MOT history.

If that was an E34 it'd be 3x as much.

Mr Micawber

80 posts

92 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
On the subject of wheels - I quite like these.
This would also be far more desirable to me (and a bag cheaper) than the big Renault, but each to their own!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201...

W00DY

11,408 posts

164 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all



https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-rare-opportunity-V...

Reserve not met which could mean a very optimistic price tag. Nice though.
Advertisement

Johnny Raydome

283 posts

43 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
^ That's a lovely little 190e in green.

Zonergem said:
Quick thread poll:

How many cars have you bought since 1 Jan 2018?

Zonergem: 2
4 here and could have been more *
Still have 3 of them.

I must get a grip and stop looking at that Roman Bronze XJ8 3.2.



* This is an admission of irresponsibility, not a humblebrag.

Croutons

2,910 posts

104 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
sly fox said:
W00DY said:
Hmm 25 year old French car that may have spent its life by the sea.


£2850 on ebay? 7 bids?
Clearly crystal meth is easily obtainable these days.
In LHD form they’re 15-20k Euro, it’s amazing how patriotic the French are. Not much different to us wanting the exec our dads had (or aspired to) I suppose!

Back to yesterday’s question, £800 for 2 rear airbags on an E39 tourer, way too much or suck it up?

Balmoral

31,466 posts

186 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
I wasn't too bothered about the Safrane but now I've read the add properly and looked at the photos, what a nice thing it is.

The Don of Croy

4,726 posts

97 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
Balmoral said:
I wasn't too bothered about the Safrane but now I've read the add properly and looked at the photos, what a nice thing it is.
If my numbers come up tonight that Renault and the Volvo T5 above will on the shopping list.

Great finds, chaps - keep 'em coming.

Rubins4

163 posts

63 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
The steering wheel in the T5 is awesome!

SpeckledJim

17,251 posts

191 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
Couldn't really be less enthused about the safrane.

A high spec 25 would be more 'essence of Renault'.
A 9000 Aero would be more 'fast FWD exec'.
A 605 would be better looking.
Any old Citroen would be more 'Everyone! Look at me now! I'm a weirdo!!!'.


What's it really for?

Edited by SpeckledJim on Friday 18th January 16:16

Balmoral

31,466 posts

186 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
XM V6 24v in similar condition, and I'd be on it.

Salmonofdoubt

403 posts

6 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
That Safrane and the 850 both score highly on the want it list.

I'd be quite happy using the Volvo as a daily driver even though it will likely end up in someone's collection.

CharlesdeGaulle

9,854 posts

118 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
E24man said:
It has full rear AC, a rear fridge and rear heated and reclining seats.
I know that since this posting ref the nasty BMW with tasteless rimz we've all gone into a frothing frenzy about wheel designs and mediocre French saloons, but I just want to drag us back on a point of order to object in the strongest possible terms to an esteemed colleague's faux pas highlighted above. Surely every one of us knows that no-one bar the driver - i.e. us - counts for anything.

E24man

2,965 posts

117 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
CharlesdeGaulle said:
E24man said:
It has full rear AC, a rear fridge and rear heated and reclining seats.
I know that since this posting ref the nasty BMW with tasteless rimz we've all gone into a frothing frenzy about wheel designs and mediocre French saloons, but I just want to drag us back on a point of order to object in the strongest possible terms to an esteemed colleague's faux pas highlighted above. Surely every one of us knows that no-one bar the driver - i.e. us - counts for anything.
I offer my most miserable and worm like apologies Sir; the car has front fully automatic AC and automatic air-re-circulation, heated memory drivers seat, heated memory mirrors (if Sir deigns to glance at what the V12 engine has just vanquished to the past) and if Sir is indeed designed like a baboon, a fridge within reach.

golfer19

1,189 posts

71 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
Johnny Raydome said:
^ That's a lovely little 190e in green.

Zonergem said:
Quick thread poll:

How many cars have you bought since 1 Jan 2018?

Zonergem: 2
4 here and could have been more *
Still have 3 of them.

I must get a grip and stop looking at that Roman Bronze XJ8 3.2.



* This is an admission of irresponsibility, not a humblebrag.
I've bought 3 and not one would be considered a barge.
Two 2 seaters and a Ford Capri.
I will hand in my notice now.

Paulog13

87 posts

105 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
As a general lurker of this very enjoyable thread, I often think of selling my current car and joining the fold....

With others having some love for Mercedes, any interest in this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-S600L-V12-Bi-T...

olly755

2,229 posts

100 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
golfer19 said:
Ford Capri.
ears

Rubins4

163 posts

63 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
That S-Class is biblical. It must have in excess of 200 quids worth of spark plugs in it.

Balmoral

31,466 posts

186 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
The S class is the sort of bonkers thing I could take a spontaneous punt on right now. But I'm saving up to buy a late Century.

Edited by Balmoral on Friday 18th January 20:31