JLR on 3 day week

Author
Discussion

TooMany2cvs

29,008 posts

64 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
I wonder why it’s news when JLR do it yet JCB have done this a few times over the last few years and yet it gets nowhere near the press.
D5 move to Slovakia, Brexit?

Digga

26,056 posts

221 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
grumpynuts said:
A lot of it down to their reliance on diesel engines in their cars. The diesel new car market is down over 30% year to date and JLR sales are worse than that. They are making cars no one wants to buy at the moment basically.
Digga snr is a Jag man through and through. He bought his latest, a new XE petrol last year and it's a nice bit of kit TBF but even now, if you look for used examples, there's barely ever a handful - JLR were too late and UK govt were too rushed with their legislation too.

Castle Bromwich were no kitted out to be building SUV's, so it's no surprise the work for the E and F-Pace cars went elsewhere.

lornemalvo

141 posts

6 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
CarAbuser said:
The brexit scapegoat is getting old. The reason sales for JLR are falling are due to the growing perception of poor reliability and build quality among customers.
Absolutely spot on. I can afford and would love a Land Rover or Range Rover, but don't need the hassle a car with a poor reputation for reliability. As for jaguar, I'm in the JEC and tales of cars which are rusty before they even get to the customer are pretty common. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole ( my jag is a 1965 model)

lornemalvo

141 posts

6 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
lornemalvo said:
CarAbuser said:
The brexit scapegoat is getting old. The reason sales for JLR are falling are due to the growing perception of poor reliability and build quality among customers.
Absolutely spot on. I can afford and would love a Land Rover or Range Rover, but don't need the hassle of a car with a poor reputation for reliability. As for jaguar, I'm in the JEC and tales of cars which are rusty before they even get to the customer are pretty common. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole ( my jag is a 1965 model)
I forgot to add that the customer service the people with problems have experienced is another disincentive. JLR don't want to know.

The Crack Fox

13,250 posts

130 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
CarAbuser said:
The brexit scapegoat is getting old.
I'm bored of it, too, and considering nothing has actually happened regarding Brexit yet (ie; we're still up to our plums in the EU) then it's a nonsense to blame it. JLR quality is poor, but I don't think that's the issue, either. They're a global business and will spread production to wherever suits them best, even at the expense of Castle Brom.


Advertisement

TooMany2cvs

29,008 posts

64 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
lornemalvo said:
As for jaguar, I'm in the JEC and tales of cars which are rusty before they even get to the customer are pretty common.
...
( my jag is a 1965 model)
Yeh, that's about the era those stories related to.

WyrleyD

981 posts

86 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
The current XF, quality of materials in the interior wise, is not a patch on the 1st generation X250 it seems a bit low-rent. Shame that the X250 suffers from a lot of electrical/turbo/TPMS gremlins which has put a lot of buyers off from upgrading to the later models which are more complex and highly likely to be even more unreliable. My own 2010 (MY2011) XF has had turbo and electrical problems including a very intermittent fault that causes the Portable Audio part of the Bowers and Wilkins audio to stop working (iPod link/USB/Aux sockets cease to recognise connected items).

Swampy1982

1,538 posts

49 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
grumpynuts said:
A lot of it down to their reliance on diesel engines in their cars. The diesel new car market is down over 30% year to date and JLR sales are worse than that. They are making cars no one wants to buy at the moment basically.
Can I ask your source, I've seen other articles stating the market is relatively flat for diesels so would be interested in seeing your article

Edit- no need, I searched and there are loads of articles about it, I'm genuinely shocked they dropped so much year on year

Edited by Swampy1982 on Monday 17th September 15:59

Mushroom12

92 posts

29 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
What's the F-type reliability like?

dukeboy749r

769 posts

148 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
In response to this - with most main stream manufacturers still looking to get into the SUV market, if diesel is dying at the rate some have suggested as contributing to this news, where are manufacturers turning? Hybrid, or petrol?

No ideas for a name

392 posts

24 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
TooMany2cvs said:
lornemalvo said:
As for jaguar, I'm in the JEC and tales of cars which are rusty before they even get to the customer are pretty common.
...
( my jag is a 1965 model)
Yeh, that's about the era those stories related to.
No rust on my aluminium XF yet!

Reliability - now that is another question. Actually, can be relied upon for something not working, and can always be relied upon to be waiting to go in to the dealer's for warranty work.

AppleJuice

1,987 posts

23 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
When's the Ingenium six-cylinder engine range being launched?

Why is the AJ-V8 a 5.0-litre lump? Why didn't JLR rework it to be a 4.0-litre engine? It would benefit customer perception, be more economical, fit in to a wider range of models, diesel version to replace the AJD-V8...

adamcot

73 posts

96 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
I always thought that JLR's strategy for CB was a bit odd. They put the XE in there after the peak volume had been made in Solihull, to free up capacity for the F-Pace and Velar in Solihull. They outsourced production of the E-Pace and I-Pace to Magna in Austria, when they had free capacity in CB. CB has only low/medium volume product and this is set to shrink even further with the new Slovakia plant, yet the party line is "nothing to see here"....

The reality is that JLR are struggling at present. They need to make massive investments in future platforms but they don't have the cash due to falling sales, as others have commented, due to the fall in demand globally for diesel engines.

PurpleTurtle

2,831 posts

82 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
The Crack Fox said:
CarAbuser said:
The brexit scapegoat is getting old.
I'm bored of it, too, and considering nothing has actually happened regarding Brexit yet (ie; we're still up to our plums in the EU) then it's a nonsense to blame it. JLR quality is poor, but I don't think that's the issue, either. They're a global business and will spread production to wherever suits them best, even at the expense of Castle Brom.
Wut!? Consumer confidence across multiple sectors is massively eroded because of the current uncertainty of Brexit.

I work in an industry heavily ingrained with the EU. Everyone I work with is on a decent whack but none of us are buying new cars or any other shiny new things right now because we don't know if we're going to be out of a job in 6 months' time on the back of a No Deal Brexit.

Brexit might be good for the UK economy in the long-term, it might be bad - I'm not here to endlessly debate that.

However, to refuse to recognise that right now there is not an impact on consumer confidence is a massively rose-tinted view.

Jazzy Jag

1,523 posts

29 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
PurpleTurtle said:
The Crack Fox said:
CarAbuser said:
The brexit scapegoat is getting old.
I'm bored of it, too, and considering nothing has actually happened regarding Brexit yet (ie; we're still up to our plums in the EU) then it's a nonsense to blame it. JLR quality is poor, but I don't think that's the issue, either. They're a global business and will spread production to wherever suits them best, even at the expense of Castle Brom.
Wut!? Consumer confidence across multiple sectors is massively eroded because of the current uncertainty of Brexit.

I work in an industry heavily ingrained with the EU. Everyone I work with is on a decent whack but none of us are buying new cars or any other shiny new things right now because we don't know if we're going to be out of a job in 6 months' time on the back of a No Deal Brexit.

Brexit might be good for the UK economy in the long-term, it might be bad - I'm not here to endlessly debate that.

However, to refuse to recognise that right now there is not an impact on consumer confidence is a massively rose-tinted view.
Which is all Theresa May's fault for fannying about and not getting on with it.

Edited by Jazzy Jag on Monday 17th September 16:55

abzmike

784 posts

44 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
The article says the staff will still get their 5 days pay, for a 3 day week. Will they just sit at home the other 2? Given the reliability reports, I would have thought things like making vehicles slower and better might be a good idea, or sorting out production issues that they don't usually have time to address.

ToothbrushMan

1,529 posts

63 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
Dakkon said:
Lets put it this way, based on a friends experience, an Evoque using a litre of oil per 1000 miles is not considered a warranty claim....
bloody hell ! that would get expensive and very tiresome very quickly. my old 15-20 year old cars barely use a drop.

Francis85

161 posts

6 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
I don't get the problem with the drop of diesel sales.

They can still sell petrols and hybrids. No excuses.

sheepman

204 posts

98 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
PurpleTurtle said:
Wut!? Consumer confidence across multiple sectors is massively eroded because of the current uncertainty of Brexit.

I work in an industry heavily ingrained with the EU. Everyone I work with is on a decent whack but none of us are buying new cars or any other shiny new things right now because we don't know if we're going to be out of a job in 6 months' time on the back of a No Deal Brexit.

Brexit might be good for the UK economy in the long-term, it might be bad - I'm not here to endlessly debate that.

However, to refuse to recognise that right now there is not an impact on consumer confidence is a massively rose-tinted view.
JLR UK sales were up 64.9% last month, so its easy to assume consumer confidence is relatively positive.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/business/2018/...

Hungrymc

3,671 posts

75 months

Monday 17th September 2018
quotequote all
Jazzy Jag said:
Which is all Theresa Kay's fault for fannying about and not getting on with it.
Getting on with giving the EU what they want (political suicide for her) ?
Or with agreeing an imaginary deal that the EU could never agree to (political suicide for them) ?

She may well be an idiot, but it’s rare we see anyone playing with such an impossible hand.