JLR on 3 day week

Author
Discussion

LDN

6,046 posts

141 months

Tuesday 5th February
quotequote all
havoc said:
Jazzy Jag said:
Burwood said:
Basic functionality? The smart buyers would reject. The better supplier would fix the problem to the customers satisfaction.
Did JLR sack you?

You really seem bitter and have an axe to grind.
I think most people who've had the misfortune to deal with JLR over the last 15-20 years have an axe to grind, quite honestly.

You'll struggle to find a good word said about them in the Tier-1 community, whilst their reputation for unreliability precedes them everywhere except the UK, where patriotism still seems to trump common sense.



I'm not saying BMW or Merc are blameless, but they ARE a lot more professional to deal with than JLR and have better reliability scores. In the interest of balance I have very little time for VAG as a manufacturer either.
I’ve dealt with JLR a lot and they’ve been ten times better than Mercedes, in my experience... and that’s on repeated occasions. Can’t comment on BMW personally but a family member found them to be awful and won’t go near them ever again.

As for reliability surveys... I’d have to check, but I’m not sure JLR are behind BMW...

Digga

26,056 posts

221 months

Tuesday 5th February
quotequote all
The thing I found with JLR was, they did always tend to hit quality/recall issues head-on, rather than sweeping them under the carpet or trying to minimise service network disruption by waiting to catch them on a scheduled service..

LDN

6,046 posts

141 months

Tuesday 5th February
quotequote all
Digga said:
The thing I found with JLR was, they did always tend to hit quality/recall issues head-on, rather than sweeping them under the carpet or trying to minimise service network disruption by waiting to catch them on a scheduled service..
I agree. Recalls get dealt with as they should; for the most part.

Gibbo205

2,163 posts

145 months

Tuesday 5th February
quotequote all
I feel its a real shame.

When I was car hunting over a year ago I drove many cars like the AMG GTS, R8 V10 Plus, R35 GTR, BMW M4 CS, Vantage V8S and the car I purchased in the end was an F-Type SVR, its not suffered depreciation any worse than the other cars on my list like scaremongers told me it would, in fact it seems to held price much better than the BMW and Audi counterparts.

But the reason I went for it was because it was so much fun to drive whilst remaining at legal speed limits, but if you really wanted to push on hard it was just as capable as the R8 and GTR with limits way beyond any kind of speed you should be doing on the road.

The car has been faultless, any minor issue I had JLR dealt with professionally and quickly, the biggest shock was the servicing cost, they did the full service including gear box oil and the price was just £315, none of the competing cars on my list come even close, they are all typically £800-£1500 for a service.

It is such a shame because the SVR is one incredible car, I am only selling it to try something else and the fact that for a replacement I am looking in the Lamborghini, Ferrari and Mclaren stables says it all really.

I hope JLR pull through this because for me their product has not only been amazing, but so has the service too. smile

blademansw

30 posts

159 months

Tuesday 5th February
quotequote all
LDN said:
I’ve dealt with JLR a lot and they’ve been ten times better than Mercedes, in my experience... and that’s on repeated occasions.
10 times 0 is still 0...

Advertisement

JD

1,725 posts

166 months

Thursday 7th February
quotequote all
Can anyone with a more financey brain than I, explain this link?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/jaguar...

NomduJour

13,970 posts

197 months

Thursday 7th February
quotequote all
They’ve committed a tonne of cash to develop and build diesel engines, which is now worthless.

Thesprucegoose

16,902 posts

133 months

Thursday 7th February
quotequote all
NomduJour said:
They’ve invested a tonne of cash in diesel which is now worthless.
its in the article, sounds like accounting tweakery.

'' £3.1 billion charge was part of the firm’s Charge and Accelerate transformation schemes, designed to invigorate the struggling company with around £2.5 billion of investment.''

craigjm

9,082 posts

138 months

Thursday 7th February
quotequote all
It’s done when you have an asset and that asset becomes impaired and is therefore worth less than it was to that point. Take the hit now on the balance sheet and save money in the long term.

havoc

24,239 posts

173 months

Thursday 7th February
quotequote all
craigjm said:
It’s done when you have an asset and that asset becomes impaired and is therefore worth less than it was to that point. Take the hit now on the balance sheet and save money in the long term.
yes

Well, not 'save money', more recognise the loss now to avoid recognising it piecemeal over future years.

Suggestion was that the 'loss' was split 50/50:-
- 50% is as above - they've invested in "product development" (probably ingenium mainly) which hasn't paid off, so previously they'd capitalised those costs as a (non-physical) asset of the business, and have now decided those ideas and research aren't really an asset so are writing them off.
- 50% is a write down of tangible assets - plant and machinery. This for me is actually more significant, as that means they've invested in the wrong bits of kit. Could also be related to the engine plant, as they now expect to sell far fewer diesel engines than before.

Either way note it's only relating to Q4. Of more interest is the 'underlying loss' of £270m in Q4 + another £90m in Q3. This is a loss on continuing operations, which means that (yet again) they're carrying too many costs vs the amount of vehicles they're selling. Hence the '000s of redundancies...

alfabadass

1,826 posts

137 months

Thursday 7th February
quotequote all
craigjm said:
Well quality control is still as rubbish as ever

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/jaguar-e-pace-su...

Actually delivered to customers and then because there is “no fix” they are offering $600 compensation! Outrageous. I would be driving it straight back and getting my money back.

When are they finally going to learn how to build a car properly. To make it worse these are the cars contracted out in Austria.
£600? Imagine buying a new Luxury car with all that missing? Not even Apple and Android ICE?

LMAO

Brooking10

3,779 posts

79 months

Thursday 7th February
quotequote all
alfabadass said:
craigjm said:
Well quality control is still as rubbish as ever

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/jaguar-e-pace-su...

Actually delivered to customers and then because there is “no fix” they are offering $600 compensation! Outrageous. I would be driving it straight back and getting my money back.

When are they finally going to learn how to build a car properly. To make it worse these are the cars contracted out in Austria.
£600? Imagine buying a new Luxury car with all that missing? Not even Apple and Android ICE?

LMAO
Hmmm that’s not great is it ?

Looks a class-action waiting to happen

alfabadass

1,826 posts

137 months

Friday 8th February
quotequote all
I wouldn't accept £600, I'd be rejecting and head towards Audi

sapf0

19 posts

3 months

Sunday 10th February
quotequote all
havoc said:
yes

Could also be related to the engine plant, as they now expect to sell far fewer diesel engines than before....
The head of Unite at Lode Lane is a councillor in Wolves. The engine plant was actually built on his patch. How convenient is that? Inside Solihull there has been a lot of high level back scratching to suit personal agendas rather than benefit the company, that is only just being uncovered.

havoc

24,239 posts

173 months

Sunday 10th February
quotequote all
sapf0 said:
havoc said:
yes

Could also be related to the engine plant, as they now expect to sell far fewer diesel engines than before....
The head of Unite at Lode Lane is a councillor in Wolves. The engine plant was actually built on his patch. How convenient is that? Inside Solihull there has been a lot of high level back scratching to suit personal agendas rather than benefit the company, that is only just being uncovered.
It's possible. I know from my time that Solihull was the last bastion of the bad old ways of British industry...and talking to current employees nothing's changed in >10 years.

legless

744 posts

78 months

Sunday 10th February
quotequote all
havoc said:
It's possible. I know from my time that Solihull was the last bastion of the bad old ways of British industry...and talking to current employees nothing's changed in >10 years.
I last worked for JLR over 6 years ago now, but I remember even only as recently as 2012 the union shop mentality was alive and well there.

I had a job to do that involved a software upgrade on some production floor equipment. From a user perspective the changes were utterly minimal - perhaps a different font in parts of the UI, or a different colour on a button, that sort of thing I

First stop was Halewood. Explained to the shift supervisor what I was doing, installed the software, showed him that it still worked exactly as he needed it to, and he was happy.

I had a similar experience at Castle Bromwich.

Solihull was a different matter entirely. I got as far as explaining to the shift supervisor what I was doing, and without any hesitation he asked me if I'd cleared it with the union, and refused to let me go any further because 'i was changing his job without consultation'. Protests that he would barely notice anything different fell on deaf ears and I had to pack my bags and leave. I left that matter for my management to deal with, and I'd left the company before it was resolved.

stevemcs

2,628 posts

31 months

Sunday 10th February
quotequote all
alfabadass said:
I wouldn't accept £600, I'd be rejecting and head towards Audi
I'd rather the £600 no car play and an E Pace instead of driving an Audi

sapf0

19 posts

3 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
I spoke to a TATA Engineer today. He told me that 5 years ago, TATA had 16 pay grades within it's automotive sector. He said that big cuts came, with each managers skills being identified to see if they could be redeployed to where they could be useful, or just let go. He said the pay scale is now 6 levels in TATA motors.


JLR is well into double figures, and said TATA are going to cut the fat and have more transparency from bottom to top. Speaking to many friends on site at Solihull, there is a major moral problem due to the union/middle management, and HR's treatment of employees. Arrogant managers don't even acknowledge those 'below' them, and in turn the lads on the track work to rule, and wont go the extra mile.

Happy workers are productive workers.

Ares

7,683 posts

58 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
alfabadass said:
I wouldn't accept £600, I'd be rejecting and head towards Audi
....because you want to drive something that doesn't feel like driving a car? wink

JxJ Jr.

19 posts

8 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
sapf0 said:
...there is a major moral problem due to the union/middle management....Arrogant managers don't even acknowledge those 'below' them, and in turn the lads on the track work to rule, and wont go the extra mile.
Having worked across quite a broad swathe of the global automotive industry - including JLR - I wouldn't necessarily go along with the inference that the 'lads on the track' would go the extra mile even if they were supposedly treated better. The company has problems at the top, in the middle and at the bottom.