RE: Electrified DB6 previews reversible EV powertrain

RE: Electrified DB6 previews reversible EV powertrain

Author
Discussion

Cold

5,697 posts

26 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
Won't this just mean that owners who do the (reversible) conversion will be able to use their cars in LEZ areas? And LEZ areas are creeping outwards.

Andy Palmer said:
This mitigates future legislation restricting their use by giving a zero emissions conversion.

85Carrera

1,678 posts

173 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
HardMiles said:
It’s disgraceful to ruin history like this.

Also, if anyone in their right mind thinks that manufacturing another Powertrain and shipping it all round the globe is more efficient than just using the one that’s in it should be shot in the head.

wkers.
Quite right, on both counts

j90gta

452 posts

70 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
Does it have the synthesized sound of a straight 6, or do you get a selection of engine noises?

thegreenhell

4,870 posts

155 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
Have Aston actually converted that car, or simply photographed a petrol car parked in an EV charging point? There are no images of the conversion itself, and it appears to still have all the original gauges and switches (compare this to the dash in the electric E-type) and exhaust pipes.


cookie1600

1,034 posts

97 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
bobbo89 said:
Ruining and butchering history? Seriously?
Yes, very seriously, ruining history.

To be honest, if it came to the point that a DB6 Volante was banned from being used on the road unless it was electric, I'd rather it was put on a stand in a collection or a museum, and only fired up now and again to an invited audience of like minded petrolheads.

This to me, is akin to retiring Red Rum and putting it out to pull the brewery dray around. Meaningless, unnecessary, a defilement of everything that is the soul of a pedigree classic car.

Have your modern electric cars by all means, but leave us old gits to enjoy a golden age of thoroughbred motoring with all it's throbbing heart and passion in tact, until the world demonises the very last thing we enjoy.


Advertisement

unpc

2,048 posts

149 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
I'm a classic car lover but I take a more relaxed view of this than most of the posters on here who are seemingly frothing at the mouth over this. The article does state this is totally reversible so the potential is there to keep both powertrains.

The biggest mistake all these EV retrofitters make IMO is they've picked on the wrong cars. Seriously who would want their Aston or E-Type done when they have glorious engines in the first place?

A better bet would be to choose something that was either a) majored on refinement and silence or b) had a st engine in the first place.

Something like a 420G or an early XJ or a Silver Shadow would make more sense to get the EV treatment or even the MG that the other poster mentioned.

bobbo89

2,385 posts

81 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
cookie1600 said:
Yes, very seriously, ruining history.

To be honest, if it came to the point that a DB6 Volante was banned from being used on the road unless it was electric, I'd rather it was put on a stand in a collection or a museum, and only fired up now and again to an invited audience of like minded petrolheads.

This to me, is akin to retiring Red Rum and putting it out to pull the brewery dray around. Meaningless, unnecessary, a defilement of everything that is the soul of a pedigree classic car.

Have your modern electric cars by all means, but leave us old gits to enjoy a golden age of thoroughbred motoring with all it's throbbing heart and passion in tact, until the world demonises the very last thing we enjoy.
Each to their own i suppose but i really don't see any issue in fitting something that is completely reversible. As others have said, EV only zones are fact of the future and I'd rather see options like this be available to those who can afford it than the majority of these cars being hold up gathering dust in private collections.

cybersimon

189 posts

105 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
How many miles per charge?

Will it be able to use the 100kW chargers?

cookie1600

1,034 posts

97 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
bobbo89 said:
As others have said, EV only zones are fact of the future
Brilliant we agree then. All the Nissan Leaf and Tesla lovers can trundle through the EV only zones in complete, soulless silence, while classic car lovers can thrash the nuts off a meaty ICE engined beauty and enjoy the auditory excellence of a spirited sports car at full chat.

I still haven't seen pictures of the actual conversion though, so I guess it's just AML clickbait and I've fallen for it.

The Surveyor

6,183 posts

173 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
Cold said:
Won't this just mean that owners who do the (reversible) conversion will be able to use their cars in LEZ areas? And LEZ areas are creeping outwards.

Andy Palmer said:
This mitigates future legislation restricting their use by giving a zero emissions conversion.
Its sad that Andy Palmer doesn't have the confidence to launch an electric version of their current Vantage or DB11 rather than relying upon their back catalogue.

sidesauce

864 posts

154 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
cookie1600 said:
Have your modern electric cars by all means, but leave us old gits to enjoy a golden age of thoroughbred motoring with all it's throbbing heart and passion in tact, until the world demonises the very last thing we enjoy.
I would gladly buy and drive this EV as often as possible, taking great pleasure in seeing the vitriol of old gits just like you.

300bhp/ton

35,323 posts

126 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
Why has it still got exhaust pipes if it's electric?? confused







Totally don't get the appeal of doing this either. Has to be about the most stupid thing in human history or at least a close 2nd!.

Tubes63

96 posts

66 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
300bhp/ton said:
Why has it still got exhaust pipes if it's electric??
Because it’s supposed to be a completely reversible conversion

Cold

5,697 posts

26 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
The Surveyor said:
Its sad that Andy Palmer doesn't have the confidence to launch an electric version of their current Vantage or DB11 rather than relying upon their back catalogue.
The packaging for this is based on next year's Rapide E. The new Lagonda range will be electric only, the DBX a hybrid soon after launch. So they're doing ok for battery powered vehicles for now.

Don Colione

40 posts

12 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
cookie1600 said:
Not one picture anywhere on the interwebs (that I can find) which shows the actual electrickery installation.

I call hoax!!!

cookie1600

1,034 posts

97 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
sidesauce said:
would gladly buy and drive this EV as often as possible, taking great pleasure in seeing the vitriol of old gits just like you.
Excellent. I'll wave and drop it down a cog and give it some, as you wait for yours to charge up again after 150 odd miles!

Don Colione said:
And what? That shows me nothing about the motor and battery pack arrangement. Even I could rig that photo up without using photoshop.

300bhp/ton

35,323 posts

126 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
Tubes63 said:
300bhp/ton said:
Why has it still got exhaust pipes if it's electric??
Because it’s supposed to be a completely reversible conversion
reversible or not, you'd still remove the exhaust, else you'll just have the manifold flapping about in the engine bay. That would make no sense at all.

As there are no pics of the electrics, I would assume that maybe it still has an engine under the bonnet as well as the exhaust... wink

Don Colione

40 posts

12 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
cookie1600 said:
sidesauce said:
would gladly buy and drive this EV as often as possible, taking great pleasure in seeing the vitriol of old gits just like you.
Excellent. I'll wave and drop it down a cog and give it some, as you wait for yours to charge up again after 150 odd miles!

Don Colione said:
And what? That shows me nothing about the motor and battery pack arrangement. Even I could rig that photo up without using photoshop.
??


Cold

5,697 posts

26 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
300bhp/ton said:
Tubes63 said:
300bhp/ton said:
Why has it still got exhaust pipes if it's electric??
Because it’s supposed to be a completely reversible conversion
reversible or not, you'd still remove the exhaust, else you'll just have the manifold flapping about in the engine bay. That would make no sense at all.

As there are no pics of the electrics, I would assume that maybe it still has an engine under the bonnet as well as the exhaust... wink
It's a before and after photoshoot.

The Surveyor

6,183 posts

173 months

Wednesday 5th December
quotequote all
Cold said:
The Surveyor said:
Its sad that Andy Palmer doesn't have the confidence to launch an electric version of their current Vantage or DB11 rather than relying upon their back catalogue.
The packaging for this is based on next year's Rapide E. The new Lagonda range will be electric only, the DBX a hybrid soon after launch. So they're doing ok for battery powered vehicles for now.
Concentrate on launching those then and stop pratting about in the past.