How does a electric car compare with a diesel performance

How does a electric car compare with a diesel performance

Author
Discussion

kambites

55,407 posts

157 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
I'm not sure what 24 million has got to do with anything. Even if every ICE car went off sale tomorrow it'd take us more than ten years to get to that number of EVs.

jjwilde

299 posts

32 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
kambites said:
I'm not sure what 24 million has got to do with anything. Even if every ICE car went off sale tomorrow it'd take us more than ten years to get to that number of EVs.
Well the point is that when the time comes the grid can easily cope with it.

austinsmirk

3,188 posts

59 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
my wife has a leaf. its a utilitarian white good that is ace for the shopping, school run, work churn. it's no drivers car in the twisty stuff. feels positively unstable on the moor roads etc around us. it's ugly and inside its a generic plastic finished appliance.

it will outrun any generic 2 l petrol/diesel lump in the red light race. she absolutely loves this, when spotty yoofs think they'll blast past in the outer lane.

as it does it silently- its even stranger and I'm not sure many people know what they are yet.


in winter- she hits a button on her phone and it pre heats itself- seats, windows, steering wheel. this is invaluable on the mad rush at 8.30 to escape the house and pile the children into the house. no more de-icing cars, nor cars idling on the drive for 10 mins. it either runs from its own battery or if still plugged in, from yr own domestic supply. ditto when she leaves work- hit a button at her desk and go out to a pre-heated car.


winter impacts on battery range naturally- but not hugely- knocks maybe 15-20 miles off yr range on a full charge.

can't be bothered with the grid, supply, debate- we've done 100's of pages on that, on here.

currently, as a second car: you'd never have anything else once you've experienced it.

oh and its cost £233 in electric to drive 8000 miles in 12 mths. There's the winning argument right there.

edd344

99 posts

2 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
essayer said:
“They” being National Grid, who run the, er, power grid.

Lots to educate yourself here:

https://www.nationalgrid.com/group/case-studies/el...
Why don't you read the rest of the thread before posting pointless comments

kambites

55,407 posts

157 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
jjwilde said:
kambites said:
I'm not sure what 24 million has got to do with anything. Even if every ICE car went off sale tomorrow it'd take us more than ten years to get to that number of EVs.
Well the point is that when the time comes the grid can easily cope with it.
Indeed, I'm just not sure why anyone was talking about what would happen if every car suddenly became an EV tomorrow.

We do not have enough generation to power every car in the UK on electricity. We do not have an electricity supply problem for any realistic real-world EV adoption scenario. Those two statement are not mutually exclusive but only the latter is actually of any value.
Advertisement

essayer

5,615 posts

130 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
austinsmirk said:
currently, as a second car: you'd never have anything else once you've experienced it.
+1
And the second car argument is gradually falling away - much more investment in rapid charging, destination charging, 60kWh batteries giving 200 mile+ range ...

F4R

37 posts

1 month

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
I was following a leaf once and both of us were stuck behind a slow moving HGV up a steep hill. To my amazement, the leaf successfully overtook it without any trouble. If you like diesel torque you'll love electric

MrOrange

1,507 posts

189 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
F4R said:
I was following a leaf once and both of us were stuck behind a slow moving HGV up a steep hill. To my amazement, the leaf successfully overtook it without any trouble. If you like diesel torque you'll love electric
A Nissan Leaf has 240lbft of torque. That’s more than my 3 litre, flat-6, Subaru Legacy Outback.

gangzoom

1,396 posts

151 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
austinsmirk said:
currently, as a second car: you'd never have anything else once you've experienced it.
I would probably say as the 'main' car EVs is fine for 90% or people, and having a second combustion car for odd long trips works well.

We've had an EV of some kind on the drive for 3.5 years now, done over 45K. Our second car, a combustion one has done 22k in the same time. The gap will now increase between the two as for the first EV we had was on a 14K over 2 years PCP limit. The split in millage between the two cars over the last 12 months has been 15k versus 5k!!

I personally don't think EVs and charging stations are ready for a 100% EV driveway as the odd long distance trip is still easier in the combustion car. But for any 2 car family getting an EV is a no-brainer, and will make your life more convenient.

Max_Torque

12,947 posts

153 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
It really simple, if you want to get your EV to drive as fast as a diesel, just back off the accelerator a bit....... ;-)



thedugmaster

895 posts

95 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
Baldchap said:
We have a Model X P100D, which is the big people carrier. Torque is absolutely instant. It's not far off my motorbike in terms of throttle response at pretty much any speed, but especially below 100mph.

I'd wager there isn't a diesel anywhere that goes faster at any point sub 100mph.

Re heating: It has 'normal' climate control, heated seats (all six), screens and wheel. It doesn't seem to significantly impact range.
Ignoring all of the manufacturer's hype, which as we all know is absolute billix, what's the range like from full to flat, with the heater / air con on etc?

DoubleTime

1,101 posts

78 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
Max_Torque said:
It really simple, if you want to get your EV to drive as fast as a diesel, just back off the accelerator a bit....... ;-)
and get anywhere near the quoted range from the manufacturers? ;-)

thedugmaster

895 posts

95 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
DoubleTime said:
Max_Torque said:
It really simple, if you want to get your EV to drive as fast as a diesel, just back off the accelerator a bit....... ;-)
and get anywhere near the quoted range from the manufacturers? ;-)
No car ever achieves the quoted figures because no one ever drives in a wind tunnel with all the doors taped up and the person driving stood next to it.

laugh

DoubleTime

1,101 posts

78 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
thedugmaster said:
DoubleTime said:
Max_Torque said:
It really simple, if you want to get your EV to drive as fast as a diesel, just back off the accelerator a bit....... ;-)
and get anywhere near the quoted range from the manufacturers? ;-)
No car ever achieves the quoted figures because no one ever drives in a wind tunnel with all the doors taped up and the person driving stood next to it.

laugh
Good point well made! Are you an ambassador for EV's? You're doing a pretty stty job if you are... laugh

thedugmaster

895 posts

95 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
DoubleTime said:
thedugmaster said:
DoubleTime said:
Max_Torque said:
It really simple, if you want to get your EV to drive as fast as a diesel, just back off the accelerator a bit....... ;-)
and get anywhere near the quoted range from the manufacturers? ;-)
No car ever achieves the quoted figures because no one ever drives in a wind tunnel with all the doors taped up and the person driving stood next to it.

laugh
Good point well made! Are you an ambassador for EV's? You're doing a pretty stty job if you are... laugh
Me? Nah!

If I ever did develop the need for a local commuter box I would consider one, but I don't, so I won't, for the time being at least.

gazza285

4,545 posts

144 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
WinstonWolf said:
Baldchap said:
We have a Model X P100D, which is the big people carrier. Torque is absolutely instant. It's not far off my motorbike in terms of throttle response at pretty much any speed, but especially below 100mph.

I'd wager there isn't a diesel anywhere that goes faster at any point sub 100mph.

Re heating: It has 'normal' climate control, heated seats (all six), screens and wheel. It doesn't seem to significantly impact range.
I've got a 4.2 twin turbo V8 diesel, it can't keep up with my mate's Tesla...
That would depend on how far you are going, it would take you about fourteen hours in your diesel to get from Land’s End to John’O’Groats, and about forty five hours in the Tesla, assuming it started with a full charge...

Edited by gazza285 on Thursday 6th December 19:33

wst

3,083 posts

97 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
DoubleTime said:
Max_Torque said:
It really simple, if you want to get your EV to drive as fast as a diesel, just back off the accelerator a bit....... ;-)
and get anywhere near the quoted range from the manufacturers? ;-)
Given that my (allegedly) 53mpg ICE car will show "7.3mpg" if I do the right (wrong) thing with it, erm... oh.

MrOrange

1,507 posts

189 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
gazza285 said:
That would depend on how far you are going, it would take you about fourteen hours in your diesel to get from Land’s End to John’O’Groats, and about forty five hours in the Tesla, assuming it started with a full charge...

Edited by gazza285 on Thursday 6th December 19:33
You know it’s not relevant as (almost) no one does that journey, or would even consider driving 850 miles in a single sitting. Unless you’re racing. They call this an extreme edge case. The average driver covers less than 20 miles per day. But you knew that, you were just setting up to illustrate how much more efficient and cheaper an EV is:

850 miles in a 335d would burn through £150 of diesel and dump a quarter of a tonne of CO2 into the atmosphere.

A Tesla over the same distance would cost you a tenner and dump nothing into the lungs of our upcoming generation.

Stu08

316 posts

53 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
MrOrange said:
You know it’s not relevant as (almost) no one does that journey, or would even consider driving 850 miles in a single sitting. Unless you’re racing. They call this an extreme edge case. The average driver covers less than 20 miles per day. But you knew that, you were just setting up to illustrate how much more efficient and cheaper an EV is:

850 miles in a 335d would burn through £150 of diesel and dump a quarter of a tonne of CO2 into the atmosphere.

A Tesla over the same distance would cost you a tenner and dump nothing into the lungs of our upcoming generation.
A Tesla will dump nothing into the lungs of upcoming generations?

Baldchap

530 posts

28 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
thedugmaster said:
Baldchap said:
We have a Model X P100D, which is the big people carrier. Torque is absolutely instant. It's not far off my motorbike in terms of throttle response at pretty much any speed, but especially below 100mph.

I'd wager there isn't a diesel anywhere that goes faster at any point sub 100mph.

Re heating: It has 'normal' climate control, heated seats (all six), screens and wheel. It doesn't seem to significantly impact range.
Ignoring all of the manufacturer's hype, which as we all know is absolute billix, what's the range like from full to flat, with the heater / air con on etc?
Realistically under normal driving (it lives in Ludicrous mode, though obviously not at full throttle all the time) it does about 250 miles. For 700 horses and six/seven seats, that's acceptable to me. A 200 mile charge is 20 minutes at a supercharger. Home charger is about 46 miles per hour.