RE: Updated 7 Series gets new 530hp V8

RE: Updated 7 Series gets new 530hp V8

Author
Discussion

bluemason

320 posts

62 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
ReaperCushions said:
Yes indeed. I think it is 100% designed to appeal to rich / wealthy / ostentatious folks. See also Bentayga grilles.
And most of the public would not even care about a bentayga.

Ninja59

2,033 posts

51 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
BFleming said:
Ever get the feeling they're trying to inject a little Rolls Royce 'style' to their current cars? The X7 and Cullinan aren't far removed from each other after all.
I guess we will get used to it.
The Cullinan and X7 are not on the same chassis.

The Cullinan and Phantom share the Architecture of Luxury chassis.

X7 is on the CLAR which in essence will be used on 3 series (G20/G21), 4 series (G22/23), 5 series (G30/G31), 6 series (G32), 7 series (G11/G12) and X3 (G03), X4 (G02), X5 (G05), X6 (G06), X7 (G07).

Everything lower than a 3 (1,2 and X1 and X2) will in essence ultimately use the UKL1/2 (aka "mini" platform) and be FWD/AWD.

Overall, the sad reality in many cases is that ironically BMW will probably have less RWD cars than Xdrive or FWD models, oh the irony.

Court_S

409 posts

116 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
That’s really rather awful.

BMW seem to have totally lost the plot; their cars get uglier with every iteration. It makes things like the E60 love very resolved and subtle!

The performance in a car that size is pretty impressive though. Hopefully they’ll all be driven that way so no one has to actually look at it!

BFleming

899 posts

82 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
So a few days into this, and having read other publication's comments regarding the grille, I note that PH's original article made almost zero reference to it, just referring to it as 'significantly larger'. Every other publication through Europe is opening with 'what the hell have BMW done?'. Is PH afraid of upsetting the special relationship with BMW?

Speed addicted

3,593 posts

166 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
Court_S said:
That’s really rather awful.

BMW seem to have totally lost the plot; their cars get uglier with every iteration. It makes things like the E60 love very resolved and subtle!

The performance in a car that size is pretty impressive though. Hopefully they’ll all be driven that way so no one has to actually look at it!
I'm currently on BMW number 8, but the current range doesn't really interest me. My 6 series is now 14 years old,when it was launched it was called all sorts of names along with the e60 5 series.
Remember the slagging both designs (from Bangle) got at the time? But the 5 and 6 series have aged really quite well, the e60 came out in 2003 but doesn't look ancient which is pretty amazing in its self.

I like the interiors in the newer cars, the 8 speed auto is great and it would be quite nice to have more modern gizmos for the entertainment but the exterior looks just don't do anything for me.
BMW, Audi and Mercedes seem to have all gone for a more chintzy, aggressive look over the years rather than the simpler and cleaner style from years gone by.


Advertisement

Court_S

409 posts

116 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
Speed addicted said:
I'm currently on BMW number 8, but the current range doesn't really interest me. My 6 series is now 14 years old,when it was launched it was called all sorts of names along with the e60 5 series.
Remember the slagging both designs (from Bangle) got at the time? But the 5 and 6 series have aged really quite well, the e60 came out in 2003 but doesn't look ancient which is pretty amazing in its self.

I like the interiors in the newer cars, the 8 speed auto is great and it would be quite nice to have more modern gizmos for the entertainment but the exterior looks just don't do anything for me.
BMW, Audi and Mercedes seem to have all gone for a more chintzy, aggressive look over the years rather than the simpler and cleaner style from years gone by.
It’s a real shame because I’ve always been a big BMW ever since getting a ride in an E36 as a kid (I loved how low it felt with the high transmission tunnel), but the newer cars don’t really float my boat. For me the E46 and E39 were their best designs from an aesthetics point of view. The E90 and E60 cars have actually aged really well to my eyes.

I’m gonna I got to buy an M135 this summer when my company car goes back. It’s not pretty but the engine is lovely and it’ll be the last time a smallish car has a six pot squeezed into it.

Definitely agree re the interiors which I really like. The 8 speed box is a huge improvement over the 6 speed box that was in my old 330.

Mike335i

2,172 posts

41 months

Saturday 19th January
quotequote all
BFleming said:
So a few days into this, and having read other publication's comments regarding the grille, I note that PH's original article made almost zero reference to it, just referring to it as 'significantly larger'. Every other publication through Europe is opening with 'what the hell have BMW done?'. Is PH afraid of upsetting the special relationship with BMW?
Haha maybe they knew they didn't need to, it has been referenced quite enough in the comments.