The Joy of Running an Old Shed

The Joy of Running an Old Shed

Author
Discussion

gman88667733

745 posts

25 months

Thursday 17th September
quotequote all
Gave the CRV some attention this afternoon briefly, quick wash, polish and put some tyre shine on. Amazing what a difference it makes.
Needs a proper polish with a machine polisher eventually as there are loads of light scratches and rubbing marks from bushes and hedges along the lanes, but it looks tidy enough for 18y/o! Also needs the plastic bumper and trim brightening up a bit, that'll be my next job. First time it's had any proper cosmetic attention since I got it last August.

gman88667733

745 posts

25 months

Thursday 17th September
quotequote all
Went out and tried the tyre shine on on the trim.... Bit sticky, but it worked a treat!

gman88667733

745 posts

25 months

Thursday 17th September
quotequote all
Didn't seem to add the other photo. Here ya go -

Pericoloso

43,817 posts

121 months

Thursday 17th September
quotequote all
It's the same pic , just with added background dog......biggrin

gman88667733

745 posts

25 months

Thursday 17th September
quotequote all
Pericoloso said:
It's the same pic , just with added background dog......biggrin
I promise the trim is darker and less faded!! biggrin

RedFella90

17 posts

11 months

Thursday 17th September
quotequote all
Looks well in the 2nd photo...must be the dog that improves it laugh
What did you use to bring up the trim so well ?

gman88667733

745 posts

25 months

Thursday 17th September
quotequote all
RedFella90 said:
Looks well in the 2nd photo...must be the dog that improves it laugh
What did you use to bring up the trim so well ?
Yep, he's a happy chap!
I used meguires tyre gel strangely enough. Decided to give it a go and see what happened. Just put a small amount on and then buffed it off after.
Makes a massive difference, looks great

Thick_Troll

27 posts

19 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all
gman88667733 said:
Yep, he's a happy chap!
I used meguires tyre gel strangely enough. Decided to give it a go and see what happened. Just put a small amount on and then buffed it off after.
Makes a massive difference, looks great
How long does the Meguiars last? The spray I use looks good for a couple of days then it's goooone...

gman88667733

745 posts

25 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all
Thick_Troll said:
gman88667733 said:
Yep, he's a happy chap!
I used meguires tyre gel strangely enough. Decided to give it a go and see what happened. Just put a small amount on and then buffed it off after.
Makes a massive difference, looks great
How long does the Meguiars last? The spray I use looks good for a couple of days then it's goooone...
From my very brief research, I believe the aerosol ones are water based and so don't tend to last long at all. (Although some people say the decent ones last a few weeks).
I've found the gel lasts about a week depending on the road conditions and weather etc...
I haven't used it since I've had my CRV, so I can't remember for certain, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.
The good thing about the aerosols is that you can reapply faster as they only take a couple of minutes.
I'm going to order some proper bumper restorer as well as I expect the tyre gel will run a bit if we have any rain.
On a car like mine, it's never going to look perfect, so I just want to keep it clean and tidy enough as it's staying for a while.

magpie215

3,250 posts

147 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all
gman88667733 said:
Thick_Troll said:
gman88667733 said:
Yep, he's a happy chap!
I used meguires tyre gel strangely enough. Decided to give it a go and see what happened. Just put a small amount on and then buffed it off after.
Makes a massive difference, looks great
How long does the Meguiars last? The spray I use looks good for a couple of days then it's goooone...
From my very brief research, I believe the aerosol ones are water based and so don't tend to last long at all. (Although some people say the decent ones last a few weeks).
I've found the gel lasts about a week depending on the road conditions and weather etc...
I haven't used it since I've had my CRV, so I can't remember for certain, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.
The good thing about the aerosols is that you can reapply faster as they only take a couple of minutes.
I'm going to order some proper bumper restorer as well as I expect the tyre gel will run a bit if we have any rain.
On a car like mine, it's never going to look perfect, so I just want to keep it clean and tidy enough as it's staying for a while.
I have heard of people using heat guns to restore black plastic trims on cars.

Please do your own research though...plenty of vids on YT.



gman88667733

745 posts

25 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all
magpie215 said:
I have heard of people using heat guns to restore black plastic trims on cars.

Please do your own research though...plenty of vids on YT.

I've also seen people do this.
I don't think i'll use the tyre gel on the bumpers again, it is still very greasy (obviously!). I am going to get the Simoniz aerosol back to black and give that a go. £3.99 for a large can, can't go wrong.

I used autoglym polish on the car and then used the autoglym extra gloss protection on top to help seal it all. I found that streaked quite a bit, which it something I have never experienced before when I used to clean my cars a lot. Maybe it's just because it's a few years old now?

Either way, I don't expect many shed owners put much effort into the bodywork of their vehicles, but I hope some people find it interesting!

giblet

7,741 posts

135 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all
Used to valet cars as a side thing a few years back. My non shed cars were always washed, clayed, polished and waxed by me but sheds get run through the local hand car wash every so often.

Saab hasn’t been to a car wash since March I think, hoovered the interior out a few times but that’s about it. Might have to get it cleaned this weekend!

I used a heatgun on my old Rover 200 wedges years ago. Bumpers came up really well

gman88667733

745 posts

25 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all
giblet said:
Used to valet cars as a side thing a few years back. My non shed cars were always washed, clayed, polished and waxed by me but sheds get run through the local hand car wash every so often.

Saab hasn’t been to a car wash since March I think, hoovered the interior out a few times but that’s about it. Might have to get it cleaned this weekend!

I used a heatgun on my old Rover 200 wedges years ago. Bumpers came up really well
Definitely a good feeling parking up next to a year old car and mine looks shinier and tidier!

Pit Pony

3,155 posts

79 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all


Next week marks 4 years of shed ownership.
3.2 MV6 bought with a few issues at 163K.
Recently threw 2 second hand twin OE cats (4 cats 2 pipes), a full cat back stainless Jetex, a ATF and gearbox filter change, and an engine service at it. (The total cost of which was more than the car cost)

Just passed the MOT with some advisories. All will be dealt with. Nothing that is of major concern.
Now on 231700 miles.

STIfree

1,771 posts

117 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all
In terms of black plastics, I've tried a number of things with not much success. The best I've used has been either peanut butter (smooth, not crunchy) but for a less messy approach with equally good results, coconut oil.

Using a heatgun just brings the oils to the top of the plastic. Which is fine at first but when that eventually dries out again you're in the same spot.

Coconut oil applied to it soaks in and repeated applications over time will bring it back to new.

I would recommend doing it on a warm day (or heat the panel with a heatgun/hairdrier first), as it soaks into the plastics easier and the coconut oil itself is not solid in the jar (melts at about 20'c, so in your hands).

It's a very satisfying thing to do, and you have lovely soft hands at the end hehe



Edited by STIfree on Friday 18th September 15:25

Dg504

101 posts

121 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all
Could someone buy this so that I don’t end up with an auto/manual duo outside please https://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=14&a...


Demelitia

351 posts

14 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all
gman88667733 said:
magpie215 said:
I have heard of people using heat guns to restore black plastic trims on cars.

Please do your own research though...plenty of vids on YT.

I've also seen people do this.
I don't think i'll use the tyre gel on the bumpers again, it is still very greasy (obviously!). I am going to get the Simoniz aerosol back to black and give that a go. £3.99 for a large can, can't go wrong.

I used autoglym polish on the car and then used the autoglym extra gloss protection on top to help seal it all. I found that streaked quite a bit, which it something I have never experienced before when I used to clean my cars a lot. Maybe it's just because it's a few years old now?

Either way, I don't expect many shed owners put much effort into the bodywork of their vehicles, but I hope some people find it interesting!
Try some CarPro Perl. It’s very good stuff, has great longevity and isn’t sticky or greasy.
You can also water it down to different Consistencies to use on different surfaces.
It’ll do tyres, leather, interior trim, bumpers.

Jimmy Recard

17,209 posts

137 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all
Pit Pony said:


Next week marks 4 years of shed ownership.
3.2 MV6 bought with a few issues at 163K.
Recently threw 2 second hand twin OE cats (4 cats 2 pipes), a full cat back stainless Jetex, a ATF and gearbox filter change, and an engine service at it. (The total cost of which was more than the car cost)

Just passed the MOT with some advisories. All will be dealt with. Nothing that is of major concern.
Now on 231700 miles.
Nice. I'm a big Omega fan

tomble22

484 posts

86 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all
I used to use Gtechniq G4 on my pre shed cars, amazing stuff, a bit pricey but a little bit goes a long way.

tomble22

484 posts

86 months

Friday 18th September
quotequote all
Mondeo is going well so far, apart from a rogue parking sensor issue it's just working.

What was thought by the seller as DMF rattle is I think auxillary pulley rattle as it only occurs when you switch the air con off.

Lovely car to drive, economical for a big estate car with a bit of oomph (averaging about 46mpg on the trip computer) and I think it looks pretty good for a (slightly over budget) shed.