The Joy of Running an Old Shed

The Joy of Running an Old Shed

Author
Discussion

Pesty

41,442 posts

208 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
Bought a terracan from eBay 2k.

Thing was immense never let me down and i abused the shift outa it. Up mountens over ditches if it looked like i could get over it i tried. Thing will run forever.

Bought a shogun to replace it. Really wish I hadn’t.


magpie215

2,898 posts

141 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
JaredVannett said:
So chaps, do an of your friends/family share your ideology on shedding.... or do they think you're crazy?
Im not too bothered about their choices.
But they do seem to complain about big bills for cosmetic fixes and large servicing bills.
Also they seem to conveniently ignore depreciation.

Stangely I never worry about such things...carefree motoring for me thanks

Salmonofdoubt

719 posts

20 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
Last year I bought a 2007 Kia cee’d sw for £1200. I’ve since done 10,000 miles in it. Had a suspension issue caused by rust that was fixed for £120, and have since serviced it and replaced the rear bushes and shocks.

I do around 20k a year. It’s comfortable enough, will sit happily at 80, does the tip run, returns 45-50mpg and on winters dealt with the snow like it wasn’t there. I can leave it anywhere, it attracts no attention anywhere and if it picks up dents so what.

With the preventative work I’ve done and will keep doing it should run for many more miles. While I’d like another car there is something refreshing about something that has no real depreciation left to do. I’ll probably keep it until it dies or diesels are banned and add something more interesting to run alongside it.

amoeba

180 posts

118 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
Monkeylegend said:
We have an '03 Scenic, used for tip runs, shopping, and anything else my other half want to do. This is the newest car she has ever had.

She does about 12k miles a year in it and has been totally reliable for the last 5 years. We are playing cambelt roulette and although it has just gone through the mot it will probably not be worth spending to get it through next year.

This is our 3rd Scenic over the last 12 years, buy cheap, oil service and mot once a year and run them into the ground without a care in the world, very liberating bounce

The search will be on for another one this time next year.

You can't beat a good bit of shed motoring.
I have an 2007 1.9 dci scenic for shed duties. Cheap, comfortable, good load space, reasonably pokey, 44mpg. Win.

Monkeylegend

17,911 posts

183 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
amoeba said:
Monkeylegend said:
We have an '03 Scenic, used for tip runs, shopping, and anything else my other half want to do. This is the newest car she has ever had.

She does about 12k miles a year in it and has been totally reliable for the last 5 years. We are playing cambelt roulette and although it has just gone through the mot it will probably not be worth spending to get it through next year.

This is our 3rd Scenic over the last 12 years, buy cheap, oil service and mot once a year and run them into the ground without a care in the world, very liberating bounce

The search will be on for another one this time next year.

You can't beat a good bit of shed motoring.
I have an 2007 1.9 dci scenic for shed duties. Cheap, comfortable, good load space, reasonably pokey, 44mpg. Win.
Ours is the 1.6 petrol but still giving 38ish mpg overall. As you say the French do know how to make comfortable cars.

irish boy

2,564 posts

188 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
CinnamonFan said:
Same, wouldnt call mine punchy. I have the 2007 mk2 D4D 126bhp version. I wish I had the TR everyday for a bit more go! But it gets me about reliably, can throw anything in the boot. Currently on 165k miles, complete with a long scrape down the side and numerous other dings all for £1250 nearly a year ago! Given it one oil & filter change, but nothing else. Id planned to change the oil every 10k or yearly, why do you choose 7k? Would you recommend I do the same?
The early d4d (mine was the first year that engine was made) had 10k kilometre oil change service intervals, it was upped to 15k later which is about 10k miles. In my experience regular oil and proper warm up and cool down is the key to long life, especially on older turbo engines. There’s a notice above the sun visor advising 60-180 second cool down after a fast run or towing. A lot of this information/knowledge has been lost now, especially as a lot of people now driving turbo cars and treating them as white goods. I also recognise that engine and oil technology has improved.

Mine is surprising power wise, it’s a twin cam 16 valve diesel, and revs really well. My garage queen is a c63, and funny I never jump in the avensis and think it’s short on power.

Monkeylegend

17,911 posts

183 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
irish boy said:
Mine is surprising power wise, it’s a twin cam 16 valve diesel, and revs really well. My garage queen is a c63, and funny I never jump in the avensis and think it’s short on power.
There's a guy on one of the Mercedes forums who has an E63. It had an oil leak and he said it wasn't caused by his driving as he hardly ever revved it above 2000rpm.

You don't do the same by any chance? hehe

CinnamonFan

681 posts

148 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
irish boy said:
CinnamonFan said:
Same, wouldnt call mine punchy. I have the 2007 mk2 D4D 126bhp version. I wish I had the TR everyday for a bit more go! But it gets me about reliably, can throw anything in the boot. Currently on 165k miles, complete with a long scrape down the side and numerous other dings all for £1250 nearly a year ago! Given it one oil & filter change, but nothing else. Id planned to change the oil every 10k or yearly, why do you choose 7k? Would you recommend I do the same?
The early d4d (mine was the first year that engine was made) had 10k kilometre oil change service intervals, it was upped to 15k later which is about 10k miles. In my experience regular oil and proper warm up and cool down is the key to long life, especially on older turbo engines. There’s a notice above the sun visor advising 60-180 second cool down after a fast run or towing. A lot of this information/knowledge has been lost now, especially as a lot of people now driving turbo cars and treating them as white goods. I also recognise that engine and oil technology has improved.

Mine is surprising power wise, it’s a twin cam 16 valve diesel, and revs really well. My garage queen is a c63, and funny I never jump in the avensis and think it’s short on power.
Thanks for the knowledge! I will ensure mine is 9k oil changes from what you have said. There is no notice about cool downs near the sun visor. It is my only car, do have a 1991 motorhome with 2.5 Fiat turbo diesel which weighs 3.5 tonnes! Perhaps I should drive that to appreciate the Toyota a bit more!

Lordbenny

7,436 posts

171 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
I’m running a 2005 VW Passat Highline B5.5 1.9 Tdi. It’s just clocked up 100,000 and deserves a cam belt so found a Polish guy on checkatrade who will do it for £150 labour if I get the parts. Can’t beleive I got a Cambelt kit, water pump 2 x belts and 5 litres of coolant for £89...bargain!

Some new brake pads and 2 front tyres and it should be good for a few more miles.

It’s so reliable and as comfy as any new car. I wouldn’t get a new car as a workhorse/shopper even if I could afford one.

Jaguar steve

6,073 posts

162 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
v15ben said:
JaredVannett said:
So chaps, do any of your friends/family share your ideology on shedding.... or do they think you're crazy?
Virtually all my family, close friends and colleagues are in cars from 2015 or newer.
They mostly drive very ordinary cars, so I'm never sure why they pay out so much in depreciation or finance payments for them.
They think I'm crazy driving a 10 plate, never mind the previous '03 Yaris I had.
Everybody in my family drives 10 year + old cars usually keeping each one for years and often running them 'till they drop. Mine range from 11 to 18 years old and my mum got nearly 30 years out of her last Volvo but the record goes to a family friend who bought a Aston Martin in the early 60's and sold it shortly before his death a few years ago.

Most of my friends are in almost new cars and many of those are on finance and maintenance packages and they can't work out how I manage to afford several more holidays and weekends away than they do every year...

ToothbrushMan

1,705 posts

77 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
there is something gratifying about pulling into tesco/asda/waitrose/B&Q etc car park knowing that you couldnt give a fig if some idiot scratches or dinks your shed.

no need to go find a space hundreds of metres over the far side of the car park to avoid other peoples doors opening onto your car.......

not even any worries about locking the damn thing - why bother.?

caught the wheel on the kerb - who cares?

go and shop at leisure without worrying or peering out of the store at every opportunity to check on your "baby" (been there and got the T-shirt).

not bothered about spotting some idiot trying to park within inches of your car (back forward back forward). Park how you like buddy its your car. knock yourself out if you damage it.

being able to tinker yourself (if you like tinkering) and do many cheap fixes easily at home.

yes if I won the lottery Id have a new car or two but I would still have a shed to blast about in and stuff full of rubbish or garden waste for the tip without having to line out the back of a nice car and worry about scratching the interior plastics or seats etc.

a good uninterrupted nights kip every night - not having your head on the pillow, eyes wide open, ears twitching at every noise you think you heard outside thinking some scrote might want to try and nick your car.

I could list the downsides too but thats not what the thread is asking about...........

bloomen

3,554 posts

111 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
JaredVannett said:
So chaps, do any of your friends/family share your ideology on shedding.... or do they think you're crazy?
I don't know anyone who doesn't drive old nails. I must be moving in the wrong circles.

My best was a Saab 9000 that cost £70. The odometer stopped working at 450,000 miles. I replaced one section of exhaust and a tyre or two in about 30-40,000 miles of cruising. It rusted to death in the end.

MrOrange

1,837 posts

205 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
I spunked £2k on a 13 year old, 100k flat 6 Subaru Outback and it’s one of the best cars i’ve owned. Does all the short trips, shopping, tip runs, carting stuff and people around with a barge-shed sense of progress and absence of drama. I plan to keep it forever. Oddly, the wife prefers it to my other car, a BMW i8.

Dan_The_Man

807 posts

191 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
Very liberating the feeling of not caring. This old dented farmers Scooby cost peanuts and we have had it for years, I did fit new shocks and re shimmed the A/C pump but that's about all.
When you have a shed you don't need a trailer either smile

Best bit was entering an autotest and getting second fastest time smile



JaredVannett

903 posts

95 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
ToothbrushMan said:
not even any worries about locking the damn thing - why bother.?
yes don't even bother closing the door ...





EazyDuz

1,507 posts

60 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
Other peoples sheds are my worst enemy.
It seems sheds are more common nowadays and I always sigh with concern when I have to park between two chitbox cars, knowing full well the owner will swing his door open without a care in the world.

stevesuk

1,045 posts

134 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
We've had our 3 series touring for 10 years... It'll be its 14th birthday this autumn. When we first bought it, it was less than 4 years old, and fairly valuable. 10 years later, and it's worth more like a couple of grand on a good day. The car still feels the same to me... And I don't see the appeal of swapping it for something newer (yet)

I get the comments about not being too bothered about minor damage or curbed alloys... But on the other hand, taking a 14 year old car on a long motorway journey does give you that slight "will it break down?" anxiety... which I didn't get when it was newer smile

M4cruiser

1,969 posts

102 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
v15ben said:
Anyone else have share the perverse joy of running a car they don't care about?
As much as I love the supercars, rarities and classics often posted on PH, there is something to be said about an old shed.

I'm currently running a '10 Nissan Pixo, rarely washed and complete with a decent-sized car park scrape.
It's nice being able to park anywhere, not care if it gets a dent or scratch and generally not worry about it.

Anyone else find an odd feeling of freedom and joy driving a crap car or am I just a bit weird? hehe
I'm definitely with you on this! Maybe not a Pixo though, but I agree the concept.

The trick is to buy a car that's mechanically sound but cosmetically dodgy; and they are much cheaper than the other way round.
wink


cmvtec

1,114 posts

33 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
It's been some time since I've been in the financial position to run two cars - of any sort. My Jag is my only car, it's not worth much but it's in good condition, and I look after it.

My previous car was a £500 Saab 9-5 2.3 shed that I could genuinely leave wherever I fancied and not care. Before that a £400 Honda Accord SE Exec. The Accord was the most liberating car I've ever owned. It even got used as a tactical battering ram twice.

I do always keep the cars I run clean, at least on the inside, though. There's no excuse for being a scuzz, even if your car is a shed.

Section 8

459 posts

141 months

Tuesday 19th February 2019
quotequote all
2006 Nissan Primera. Smells a bit musty and has about as much in the looks department as John Merrick in lipstick but it’s done ok for a few years as my run to work/tip car. Park it and forget about it!

The ABS ring has cracked so I was offered the grand sum of £1 when looking to part ex for something of a newer runabout. I laughed and told them I’ll run it into the ground. It passed the MOT with no advisories and the heaters are amazing on a cold morning.

I just start it and let it warm up outside knowing no one would nick it as they wouldn’t want to be seen dead in it.