RE: 'Unshackled' production McLaren Senna GTR unveiled

RE: 'Unshackled' production McLaren Senna GTR unveiled

Author
Discussion

WCZ

7,535 posts

144 months

Friday 8th March 2019
quotequote all
Harry_523 said:
I find this a slightly confusing car when combined with the road Senna,

You've just spent a million quid on a Senna, which is supposed to be the ultimate road going track car. You'd assume someone would buy it to use it on track. Then mclaren offers you a version thats better on track but not road legal, and you buy that too. Begs the question why you'd bother buying the Senna in the first place if you're only going to use it on the road (where its reportedly not as good as a 600LT etc), as you have the GTR for the track?

I suppose the answer is "for ragging round london" and "because I could", but that seems a shame.

Edited by Harry_523 on Friday 8th March 14:29
there's just something fun about having a crazy overpowered road car and you can take it wherever you want in the uk/around europe/ to any circuit

the senna gtr can also be made road legal

F1GTRUeno

4,278 posts

168 months

Friday 8th March 2019
quotequote all
I'm not gonna lie, I couldn't care less how it looks when it comes to this version, I just wanna see one being smashed round a track at full pelt.

Olivera

3,735 posts

189 months

Friday 8th March 2019
quotequote all
Um wouldn't the new proper racing 720S GT3 actually spank this around the track for probably 50% of the cost?

Odd.

Barchettaman

3,255 posts

82 months

Friday 8th March 2019
quotequote all
Could this be raced at Le Mans? Just out of interest.

ZOLLAR

19,861 posts

123 months

Friday 8th March 2019
quotequote all
jakesmith said:
Sorry for the irrelevant tangent but I doubt you'd see that. Barclays employees that I know are under strict instructions not to be seen to be having any fun at any time whatsoever. I am not joking they are ridiculously strict on it. They aren't allowed Xmas parties, team nights out or anything like that. The company is too concerned with reputation damage of their employees being seen living it up etc.
Off topic, but that sucks.
Going to work and having fun can do wonders for a business.

just passing by

33 posts

27 months

Friday 8th March 2019
quotequote all
can't help but wonder how much the 75 lucky winners paid. presumably more than valkyrie owners? (tho' no doubt they are the same people, with bulging private hangars at Dunsfold).

subirg

602 posts

226 months

Friday 8th March 2019
quotequote all
Olivera said:
Um wouldn't the new proper racing 720S GT3 actually spank this around the track for probably 50% of the cost?

Odd.
This. Not only that, it is proper race car and not a ludicrous track only toy car.

yonex

16,316 posts

118 months

Friday 8th March 2019
quotequote all
Yep. Works for me.

Hugh Jarse

3,229 posts

155 months

Friday 8th March 2019
quotequote all
Paired with a 1981 Volvo 244 DL estate (inc RFSs), this would make the ultimate two car garage.

McGraw

159 posts

93 months

Friday 8th March 2019
quotequote all
Olivera said:
Um wouldn't the new proper racing 720S GT3 actually spank this around the track for probably 50% of the cost?

Odd.
How, when the GT3 regs put the Senna at least 200hp up and 100kg down?

Edited by McGraw on Saturday 9th March 07:49

LaurasOtherHalf

16,287 posts

146 months

Friday 8th March 2019
quotequote all
There are arguments for ASdS being the best driver of the last forty or fifty years.

Any car named after him should have the same stature.

This thing doesn’t.

406dogvan

5,326 posts

215 months

Saturday 9th March 2019
quotequote all
Will it catch fire and result in a Youtuber being angry and all that jazz?

That's the question I have today...

Brooking10

8,354 posts

91 months

Saturday 9th March 2019
quotequote all
Amanitin said:
Brooking10 said:
Alternatively be grateful that such things exist and are still permitted.
apart from reading the occasional ph piece, these billionaire toy cars have exactly zero impact on my life. That's a little thin in exchange for my gratitude.
Perhaps you should get out to a few events and race meetings ?

Always plenty to see, hear and frequently get up close to as long as one can resist the urge not make one’s self look a chippy tt to the owners wink


MDL111

4,171 posts

127 months

Saturday 9th March 2019
quotequote all
Brooking10 said:
Amanitin said:
Brooking10 said:
Alternatively be grateful that such things exist and are still permitted.
apart from reading the occasional ph piece, these billionaire toy cars have exactly zero impact on my life. That's a little thin in exchange for my gratitude.
Perhaps you should get out to a few events and race meetings ?

Always plenty to see, hear and frequently get up close to as long as one can resist the urge not make one’s self look a chippy tt to the owners wink
Agree - seeing owners drive their FXXKs, FXXs and F1 cars at Ferrari events is quite a sight to behold - I suspect they are much better/faster than I would be too, even if a professional would obviously be even faster - doesn’t make it less fun to watch (and especially hear) though

Sandpit Steve

431 posts

24 months

Saturday 9th March 2019
quotequote all
Krikkit said:
j90gta said:
Why oh why can't someone cup with a racing series for all these track only specials?? Can you imagine a grid of Senna GTR's, Brabham BT62's, GT2 RS's, FXXK's, Valkyrie's etc.!!!!
Keep an eye on the world endurance championship for the 2020/2021 season, they're bringing in a hypercar class for exactly that.
Yep, and that’s *definitely* going to be well worth watching! These racing masterpieces deserve to live their life on track.

isaldiri

5,209 posts

118 months

Saturday 9th March 2019
quotequote all
McGraw said:
Olivera said:
Um wouldn't the new proper racing 720S GT3 actually spank this around the track for probably 50% of the cost?

Odd.
How, when the GT3 regs put the Senna at least 200hp up and 100kg down?
It depends. The 650 gt3 was faster than the P1 GTR on almost any circuit outside of Monza for example. I'd suspect the Senna GTR would be faster than the 720 gt3 this time though.

Krikkit said:
j90gta said:
Why oh why can't someone cup with a racing series for all these track only specials?? Can you imagine a grid of Senna GTR's, Brabham BT62's, GT2 RS's, FXXK's, Valkyrie's etc.!!!!
Keep an eye on the world endurance championship for the 2020/2021 season, they're bringing in a hypercar class for exactly that.
Not quite. The new proposed lmp1 regs are allowing for 'hypercar silhouettes'. The racing cars themselves ultimately are likely to have very little to do with the corresponding road cars...

Edited by isaldiri on Saturday 9th March 19:34

Amanitin

259 posts

87 months

Sunday 10th March 2019
quotequote all
Brooking10 said:
Perhaps you should get out to a few events and race meetings ?

Always plenty to see, hear and frequently get up close to as long as one can resist the urge not make one’s self look a chippy tt to the owners wink
yes perhaps I should. Trouble is I am only interested in cars and tech that I can realistically own and drive one day, so that's a hurdle. Worse still I believe people, rich people in particular, should try spend their excess money on things that make the world a better place. That can be fun too. I know, I have done it. Racing obscenely expensive cars with your buddies, well, is probably better than setting cash on fire for the hell of it, but only marginally so.
maybe I am just old getmecoat

Edited by Amanitin on Sunday 10th March 11:52

BlackandWhite

59 posts

144 months

Sunday 10th March 2019
quotequote all
Amanitin said:
yes perhaps I should. Trouble is I am only interested in cars and tech that I can realistically own and drive one day, so that's a hurdle. Worse still I believe people, rich people in particular, should try spend their excess money on things that make the world a better place. That can be fun too. I know, I have done it. Racing obscenely expensive cars with your buddies, well, is probably better than setting cash on fire for the hell of it, but only marginally so.
maybe I am just old getmecoat

Edited by Amanitin on Sunday 10th March 11:52
Kindly stop talking perfect sense. In a world of spectator sports, applauding spectators must outnumber the participants by as large a margin as commercially possible. The greater the spectacle, the larger the number of spectators. Splendid contribution. Mostly misunderstood.

jonah35

3,671 posts

107 months

Sunday 10th March 2019
quotequote all
It’s just an investment like a cash isa,
Pension fund or BTL really

If you could drive that on the road it would be horrendous!

Arguably beats having monies tied up in an OEIC or in equities!

Big Robbo

318 posts

96 months

Monday 11th March 2019
quotequote all
Yawn! It's Monday so it must be time for yet another McLaren to appear..... Those of you who are a bit short of the readies have no fear a week on Tuesday there will be another "exclusive" one to save up for