RE: Range Rover Evoque P250: Driven

RE: Range Rover Evoque P250: Driven

Author
Discussion

bilo999

42 posts

38 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
If you buy one....how many months per year will you actually own it....like all JLR's products....it sits in the dealer being fixed!

I swear that is why they are such a nice place to be, so that when you are waiting for Land Rover Assist to come to your rescue, at least you are sat in a nice interior!

Looking forward to the upcoming Discovery Sport update, as we will most likely go for another reliability disaster ….. what the wife wants, she gets!

Me I'd have the Stelvio in a heart beat ! Especially now that Alfa is just about one of the most reliable brands money can buy these days !.....just lacks that interior "bling" that JLR do so well.

Brooking10

4,278 posts

80 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Cold said:
Your sniffer dog has been stuffing its nose into too many arses.

What is it with JLR that brings out so many armchair experts on PH? And why do those "experts" insist on believing all the old rubbish they've heard down the pub?
They're rhetorical questions too. Or is this just a rebodied Ford Anglia?

JLR are launching many new models on new platforms and like all manufacturers they will be sharing those platforms across a number of models. I really can't be bothered to list them again as I seem to have to do that with every new JLR announcement. But if you really think that this based on a Mondeo then tell everyone you know - but not your dog. He will have his own problems.
Plus ca change I’m afraid

Just about every new product launch article on PH now is catnip for bellends

Throw certain brands into the mix - JLR, McLaren, Audi, Mercedes - and the catnip seems to be mixed with crack cocaine for optimum bellendery.

NickGibbs

767 posts

170 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Brooking10 said:
Cold said:
Your sniffer dog has been stuffing its nose into too many arses.

What is it with JLR that brings out so many armchair experts on PH? And why do those "experts" insist on believing all the old rubbish they've heard down the pub?
They're rhetorical questions too. Or is this just a rebodied Ford Anglia?

JLR are launching many new models on new platforms and like all manufacturers they will be sharing those platforms across a number of models. I really can't be bothered to list them again as I seem to have to do that with every new JLR announcement. But if you really think that this based on a Mondeo then tell everyone you know - but not your dog. He will have his own problems.
Plus ca change I’m afraid

Just about every new product launch article on PH now is catnip for bellends

Throw certain brands into the mix - JLR, McLaren, Audi, Mercedes - and the catnip seems to be mixed with crack cocaine for optimum bellendery.
Except that Cold was wrong and the chap he had an unpleasant pop at wasn't. You can't attack 'armchair experts' when you yourself are sat in an armchair

Brooking10

4,278 posts

80 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
NickGibbs said:
Brooking10 said:
Cold said:
Your sniffer dog has been stuffing its nose into too many arses.

What is it with JLR that brings out so many armchair experts on PH? And why do those "experts" insist on believing all the old rubbish they've heard down the pub?
They're rhetorical questions too. Or is this just a rebodied Ford Anglia?

JLR are launching many new models on new platforms and like all manufacturers they will be sharing those platforms across a number of models. I really can't be bothered to list them again as I seem to have to do that with every new JLR announcement. But if you really think that this based on a Mondeo then tell everyone you know - but not your dog. He will have his own problems.
Plus ca change I’m afraid

Just about every new product launch article on PH now is catnip for bellends

Throw certain brands into the mix - JLR, McLaren, Audi, Mercedes - and the catnip seems to be mixed with crack cocaine for optimum bellendery.
Except that Cold was wrong and the chap he had an unpleasant pop at wasn't. You can't attack 'armchair experts' when you yourself are sat in an armchair
My comment was more focussed on the wider themes that pop up so frequently when JLR cars are mentioned plus the incessant nit-picking that seems to accompany so many PH articles about new cars.

On the specific post you mentioned I think the chap’s dog has greater reason to take umbrage than the chap himself smile


Burwood

11,392 posts

185 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Brooking10 said:
Cold said:
Your sniffer dog has been stuffing its nose into too many arses.

What is it with JLR that brings out so many armchair experts on PH? And why do those "experts" insist on believing all the old rubbish they've heard down the pub?
They're rhetorical questions too. Or is this just a rebodied Ford Anglia?

JLR are launching many new models on new platforms and like all manufacturers they will be sharing those platforms across a number of models. I really can't be bothered to list them again as I seem to have to do that with every new JLR announcement. But if you really think that this based on a Mondeo then tell everyone you know - but not your dog. He will have his own problems.
Plus ca change I’m afraid

Just about every new product launch article on PH now is catnip for bellends

Throw certain brands into the mix - JLR, McLaren, Audi, Mercedes - and the catnip seems to be mixed with crack cocaine for optimum bellendery.
Really? I don't recall many slating McLaren. Great cars and not over the top money given what you get. Audi and Merc, I don't think they are over priced either. Porsche is a bit cheeky with their options list but even a 992 S at a well spec'd 120k is not bad given what you get.
Advertisement

JxJ Jr.

52 posts

9 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
ruprechtmonkeyboy said:
JxJ Jr. said:
ruprechtmonkeyboy said:
JxJ Jr. said:
ruprechtmonkeyboy said:
Why, why, WHY?!
They are somewhat rhetorical questions. You may not be intelligent enough to realise that.
Of course they are. Nice backtracking right there lol
I see the confusion now, you don't understand what a rhetorical question is. No matter, go ahead and provide answers to the questions.
Nice try, but I'm not taking the bait. You'll have to go find someone else to argue with. smile
Bait, huh? Well, yes, I suppose you claim that hole you've dug yourself was actually to find worms to go fishing with.

dmsims

2,722 posts

206 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
How many times is "the wife" going to get mentioned?

Hideous, unreliable things (the Evoque)

300bhp/ton

36,060 posts

129 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
dmsims said:
Hideous, unreliable things (the Evoque)
You don’t appear to have owned one.

Ares

8,031 posts

59 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Chestrockwell said:
Ares you make a good point about a moderately species 330i being that price, I usually use that example for a lot of cars when people moan about a car being pricey.

BMW are now selling X4 M40i’s and M40d’s now though, not sure what price they are.

Either way, I’d rather pay 10 grand extra for the BMW’s than the RR Evoque, bigger more premium cars, apples and oranges though. I think the X1 is more of a competitor to the Evoque which doesn’t nudge 55k, even with every box ticked.
No M40i on BMW website?

And I agree, the Evoque isn't my gig, but I know plenty of people for whom it is. And a well spec'd 300bhp version becomes attractive for them.

We bemoan the size of SUVs, yet when a nice smaller one comes along, we slag it off for what ever reason we can think of.

Brooking10

4,278 posts

80 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
300bhp/ton said:
dmsims said:
Hideous, unreliable things (the Evoque)
You don’t appear to have owned one.
This is PH

Lack of first hand experience is no impediment to opinion stated as fact smile

David87

5,138 posts

151 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Cold said:
Your sniffer dog has been stuffing its nose into too many arses.

What is it with JLR that brings out so many armchair experts on PH? And why do those "experts" insist on believing all the old rubbish they've heard down the pub?
They're rhetorical questions too. Or is this just a rebodied Ford Anglia?

JLR are launching many new models on new platforms and like all manufacturers they will be sharing those platforms across a number of models. I really can't be bothered to list them again as I seem to have to do that with every new JLR announcement. But if you really think that this based on a Mondeo then tell everyone you know - but not your dog. He will have his own problems.
I did say I was happy to be corrected. hehe Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge fan of JLR and the original Evoque, but I was genuinely unsure as to the origins of this new car’s platform. Also, when I say I’ve heard conflicting reports from people, what I really meant is the motoring press.

GranCab

1,398 posts

85 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
It's good looking inside and out ( which is more than can be said of any X* BMW ...

It deserves to sell as well as the original and I'm sure it will.

FFS ... JLR (and UK plc) need it to sell by the 100,000s.

dmsims

2,722 posts

206 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Brooking10 said:
300bhp/ton said:
dmsims said:
Hideous, unreliable things (the Evoque)
You don’t appear to have owned one.
This is PH

Lack of first hand experience is no impediment to opinion stated as fact smile
I like to do some research before spouting irrelevant posts unlike some people:

"How reliable is it?
Quick tip: before buying this car, find out if your local garage has some sort of rewards scheme for frequent customers.

The Range Rover Evoque might look like a high-quality car, but a shocking 45% of owners we heard from had to report to a garage within the past year. It’s shocking because all the owners in question have a car aged less than three years old.

The list of common problems for young Evoques includes faults with the on-board computer software, exhaust/emission control system, stop-start system, dashboard displays, in-car-entertainment system and the air conditioning.

No model that has not seen it’s third birthday should have a frequent fault list this long. The breakdown rate is more than twice the average as well.
As the car ages, it doesn't miraculously get better. Fault rates rise slightly, so now, over half of all owners with a car aged 3-8 years experienced some sort of fault. New common faults including issues with the automatic transmission (affecting one in ten automatic owners) become apparent, as does issues with either the central locking, remote key fob or keyless entry.

The disastrous start this car gets in life means it gets a terrible one star out of five rating from us, for 0-3-year reliability. The next five years are not great either, although technically, given the age of the car, they could be worse. As such the Evoque gets a poor two stars out of five for 3-8-year reliability."

Given JLR's track record new model will be more of the same




Cloudy147

1,833 posts

122 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
We had the first one when it came out, Was a brilliant little car. Reliable too. This one doesn't look different enough for me to be that interested, but I think if I took the Mrs to see it in the metal (for whom the car was mainly purchased previously), she would love it.

I think it's a good update for their customer base and I hope they do well from it. smile

Max_Torque

13,352 posts

156 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
This will be a good car when they finally stick an EV platform under it. Otherwise 250bhp and 0-60 in 7.5 sec.. ooops, who ate all the pies!



Brooking10

4,278 posts

80 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
dmsims said:
Brooking10 said:
300bhp/ton said:
dmsims said:
Hideous, unreliable things (the Evoque)
You don’t appear to have owned one.
This is PH

Lack of first hand experience is no impediment to opinion stated as fact smile
I like to do some research before spouting irrelevant posts unlike some people:

"How reliable is it?
Quick tip: before buying this car, find out if your local garage has some sort of rewards scheme for frequent customers.

The Range Rover Evoque might look like a high-quality car, but a shocking 45% of owners we heard from had to report to a garage within the past year. It’s shocking because all the owners in question have a car aged less than three years old.

The list of common problems for young Evoques includes faults with the on-board computer software, exhaust/emission control system, stop-start system, dashboard displays, in-car-entertainment system and the air conditioning.

No model that has not seen it’s third birthday should have a frequent fault list this long. The breakdown rate is more than twice the average as well.
As the car ages, it doesn't miraculously get better. Fault rates rise slightly, so now, over half of all owners with a car aged 3-8 years experienced some sort of fault. New common faults including issues with the automatic transmission (affecting one in ten automatic owners) become apparent, as does issues with either the central locking, remote key fob or keyless entry.

The disastrous start this car gets in life means it gets a terrible one star out of five rating from us, for 0-3-year reliability. The next five years are not great either, although technically, given the age of the car, they could be worse. As such the Evoque gets a poor two stars out of five for 3-8-year reliability."

Given JLR's track record new model will be more of the same
You won’t be buying one then ?

smile

9k rpm

113 posts

149 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
I really can’t fathom how expensive and heavy these things are.

3 years ago we were in the market for a small SUV (for the Mrs, sorry) as wanted space due to arrival of first child and she wanted to be higher up. Also it’s easier to get a baby seat in and out of an SUV.

Tested X1, Q3 and Evoque. Evoque looked nice but was very small inside compared to X1 and felt smaller due to tiny windows. Was also ridiculously expensive. Ended up buying X1 which has been a fantastic reliable little family car. Glad we didn’t go for the Evoque given RR reputation for reliability.

Now in the market for a replacement (another child now) and thought I’d take a look at this, price wise it’s more than the X3 same weight and slower. We are now buying an X3 30d.

Really can’t understand why people would want one of these I’m sure it will look nice but break a lot!

GranCab

1,398 posts

85 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
9k rpm said:
I really can’t fathom how expensive and heavy these things are.

3 years ago we were in the market for a small SUV (for the Mrs, sorry) as wanted space due to arrival of first child and she wanted to be higher up. Also it’s easier to get a baby seat in and out of an SUV.

Tested X1, Q3 and Evoque. Evoque looked nice but was very small inside compared to X1 and felt smaller due to tiny windows. Was also ridiculously expensive. Ended up buying X1 which has been a fantastic reliable little family car. Glad we didn’t go for the Evoque given RR reputation for reliability.

Now in the market for a replacement (another child now) and thought I’d take a look at this, price wise it’s more than the X3 same weight and slower. We are now buying an X3 30d.

Really can’t understand why people would want one of these I’m sure it will look nice but break a lot!
May I suggest you go for 'the snip' before you need to buy an X5 ? ... wink

Ares

8,031 posts

59 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
GranCab said:
May I suggest you go for 'the snip' before you need to buy an X5 ? ... wink
Or MPV punch

300bhp/ton

36,060 posts

129 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
9k rpm said:
I really can’t fathom how expensive and heavy these things are.

3 years ago we were in the market for a small SUV (for the Mrs, sorry) as wanted space due to arrival of first child and she wanted to be higher up. Also it’s easier to get a baby seat in and out of an SUV.

Tested X1, Q3 and Evoque. Evoque looked nice but was very small inside compared to X1 and felt smaller due to tiny windows. Was also ridiculously expensive. Ended up buying X1 which has been a fantastic reliable little family car. Glad we didn’t go for the Evoque given RR reputation for reliability.

Now in the market for a replacement (another child now) and thought I’d take a look at this, price wise it’s more than the X3 same weight and slower. We are now buying an X3 30d.

Really can’t understand why people would want one of these I’m sure it will look nice but break a lot!
Maybe because people like different things. I mean why did you spend it waste all that money on an M4 when you could have saved a packet and had a more reliable more fun Mustang. Used 911 or a Lotus....

Maybe because people like different things.. idea