RE: 620hp McLaren GT officially unveiled

RE: 620hp McLaren GT officially unveiled

Author
Discussion

Ray_Aber

84 posts

217 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
I had high hopes for this. I'm disappointed. It's pleasant enough, but a bit bland. Biggest beef is that the leading edge of the bonnet/front is way too high. It's not an amphibious vehicle; a lower snout would have pleased me no end.

Hey ho; not as if I am a buyer....yet... ;-)

Nerdherder

602 posts

38 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
wab172uk said:
Don't like that at all. So basically it's a 720S with worse looks and a boot.

I'll take a 812 Superfast
laughlaughlaugh lol. Regular GT3 for ne please. Oh wait...

mikeg15

221 posts

141 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Ray_Aber said:
I had high hopes for this. I'm disappointed. It's pleasant enough, but a bit bland. Biggest beef is that the leading edge of the bonnet/front is way too high. It's not an amphibious vehicle; a lower snout would have pleased me no end.
I have to agree. I've looked long and hard at the pictures here and on the Autocar article, and must conclude that this design is extraordinarily amateurish. There sre so many cumbersome areas as well as the 'boat snout'. I particularly dislike the area at the sides including the engine intake and window line. Very awkward.
The only saving grace of the design is that it is aesthetically far superior to any current Ferrari.

rthomp25

17 posts

172 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Looks good to me.......

had ham

3,505 posts

124 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
That picture makes it look like a cut'n'shut job, like they had to somehow join two halves of different cars together, thought about it a lot, realised it was beyond their limited styling capabilities, and left it to the computers to do the job. Except they switched the computers off when they left the Woking office (you have to, it's a rule there, along with LOTS of other rules), not realising the computers also hadn't done their stuff.

Unfortunately, this was the result.


Edited by had ham on Thursday 16th May 20:53

Advertisement

likesachange

1,599 posts

135 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
rthomp25 said:
Looks good to me.......
Yup I think it looks great... Think they should be having a bit more power tho.. especially as it would be minimal extra cost I'd have thought...maybe even just a different map?

It's not like if it had 720 bhp it would take customers away from the 720 but might take some more of the speed hungry ones off the 812...

It's like it's a bit lost.. not as luxurious as the Bentley/Aston not as fast and exciting as the 812, maybe the best GT car on track but that doesn't make much sense ...

Edited by likesachange on Thursday 16th May 21:48

E65Ross

22,425 posts

153 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
likesachange said:
rthomp25 said:
Looks good to me.......
Yup I think it looks great... Think they should be having a bit more power tho.. especially as it would be minimal extra cost I'd have thought...maybe even just a different map?

It's not like if it had 720 bhp it would take customers away from the 720 but might take some more of the speed hungry ones off the 812...

It's like it's a bit lost.. not as luxurious as the Bentley/Aston not as fast and exciting as the 812, maybe the best GT car on track but that doesn't make much sense ...

Edited by likesachange on Thursday 16th May 21:48
It might (might, I have no idea!) be more luxurious than the 812 or perhaps ride a bit better.... I doubt it'd trump the Bentley for luxury, but I can see the appeal in a car that's better to drive than a CGT yet not as insane as the 812.....maybe think of it like a McLaren version of the Mercedes AMG GT?

defonsecca

41 posts

26 months

Friday 17th May
quotequote all
Design-wise it may be a tad unadventurous, but it does look proper lovely. And at-last a return to free-flowing shapes with no excessive spoilers, diffusers, strakes etc which is very much the current trend. It looks very classy unlike many others. Ferrari in particular take note. 812 is a mess by comparison.

Me & my mate are having a heated debate as to whether or not it is actually a "proper" GT. It isn't because it's not front-engined, hasn't got 4-seats / 2+2, is basically a supercar etc. Or it is because it's designed to rapidly cross Continents is supreme comfort & speed at the expense of handling & mad power ie) emphasis on comfort, space & practicality. Which is what a true GT is.

Or maybe McLaren have just invented a new niche.

E65Ross

22,425 posts

153 months

Friday 17th May
quotequote all
I can't see why a GT has to have 4 seats. To me, the Chiron is pretty much the perfect GT.

Luxurious interior, plenty of power, quiet and refined. Why does engine position matter, providing there's ample space for you and luggage? 2 seater cars can definitely be GT cars IMO.

BVB

613 posts

94 months

Friday 17th May
quotequote all
Very Ferrari 430 from the front and front side 3/4 views

S1KRR

10,116 posts

153 months

Friday 17th May
quotequote all
E65Ross said:
I can't see why a GT has to have 4 seats. To me, the Chiron is pretty much the perfect GT.

Luxurious interior, plenty of power, quiet and refined. Why does engine position matter, providing there's ample space for you and luggage? 2 seater cars can definitely be GT cars IMO.
The Chirons 44 Litres isn't really enough for a GT laugh

(Yes that is really ALL the "luggage" space on the Chiron and Veyron)



It's curious because McLaren Cars did have a good idea a few years back. 227 Litres and matching luggage.



Its almost like they don't even look in the back catalogue for ideas. Actually, it's like they are deliberately NOT looking at the past!

The Vambo

3,185 posts

82 months

Friday 17th May
quotequote all
S1KRR said:
Its almost like they don't even look in the back catalogue for ideas. Actually, it's like they are deliberately NOT looking at the past!
Except for that 3 seater car they have coming, and the snorkels and the longtails and the Dihedral Doors.

Apart from that what have the Romans ever done for us?

S1KRR

10,116 posts

153 months

Friday 17th May
quotequote all
The Vambo said:
Except for that 3 seater car they have coming, and the snorkels and the longtails and the Dihedral Doors.

Apart from that what have the Romans ever done for us?
3 seats is only a recent thing. Speedtail And that's even less of a "GT" than this new car. And maybe I'm confused but what is the Speedtail for? Isn't that meant to be their long distance tourer?


365P Berlinetta wink

Roof snorkels? Hardly have the monopoly on those

(NSXR GT)

Longtails. Calling a car LT doesn't make it a long tail! There's nothing much wrong with 675 and 600. But they are not, and never will be, a Longtail!



Dihedral doors - Straight off the Toyota Sera wink





But if you were going to make a car and market it as a GT. Why not look at the best GT car ever made? Especially given the same company did it in years ago. Even a Pagani has side panniers its such a good idea. Seeing as how they HAD to make a mid engined car. Why not utilise that space in addition to the other load areas?

Edited by S1KRR on Friday 17th May 23:22

The Vambo

3,185 posts

82 months

Saturday 18th May
quotequote all
S1KRR said:
The Vambo said:
Except for that 3 seater car they have coming, and the snorkels and the longtails and the Dihedral Doors.

Apart from that what have the Romans ever done for us?
3 seats is only a recent thing. Speedtail And that's even less of a "GT" than this new car. And maybe I'm confused but what is the Speedtail for? Isn't that meant to be their long distance tourer?


Roof snorkels? Hardly have the monopoly on those

Longtails. Calling a car LT doesn't make it a long tail! There's nothing much wrong with 675 and 600. But they are not, and never will be, a Longtail!

Dihedral doors - Straight off the Toyota Sera wink
laugh Even you must reread that post and think WTF am I talking about laugh

bunyarra

305 posts

153 months

Saturday 18th May
quotequote all
ManyMotors said:
McLaren makes some really, really quick vehicles. However, they are not very comfortable and I wonder if this may have that issue. As the GT is based on the same Monocell II structure, modified for cargo, I doubt they engineered more space for people larger than five foot nine inches. The comparative room inside a 911 is commodious. But good luck McLaren! Move that metal and try making money.....
Don't know of you have actually driven one for hours but my 570GT is way more comfortable on long journeys than the old F Type or even the Golf. Surprised me to be honest. And definitely over 5ft 9 inches.

swisstoni

7,621 posts

220 months

Saturday 18th May
quotequote all
Can’t see much wrong with it.
If you want to look like Captain Nemo on his day off, then of course there’s the Bentley.

This is more of a supercar nudger at the other end of the spectrum.