E class cabriolet delivered with wrong badge

E class cabriolet delivered with wrong badge

Author
Discussion

talksthetorque

6,451 posts

81 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
SweptVolume said:
Yeah, have to say, I don't get it either. If it's an E Class with a 2.0 engine, then it's an E200. Just a particularly fast one.
Whatever you do, don't go and look at an Audi Dealership or website.

CaptainSensib1e

1,239 posts

167 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
Triumph Man said:
Hang on, the E350 isn't even a 6 cylinder? So the OP is moaning that his 4 cylinder car has the badge on from a lesser 4 cylinder car? Right...
He's not really moaning, more asking if anyone else has had a similar experience. It wouldn't give a me a lot of confidence in the car or manufacturer either.

tigamilla

150 posts

26 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
I would keep the badge for some surprise wins in the "fast lane grand prix" hehe

Also amused at how every post on PH somehow ends up with posters lobbing mildly insulting comments at the OP

Lovely car BTW

knitware

1,013 posts

139 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
Mo28 said:
Just remove the badge altogether, personally think it looks a lot cleaner. It was the first thing I did to my C class coupe when I got it and at some angles the C200 badge looked askew.
Yes, I take off the badges, from the E500 up to the now 520d, so much cleaner.

IJWS15

184 posts

31 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
stu67 said:
It happens quite a lot, I used to work up at VW HQ in the late 90’s and we used to get some odd mistakes, I can remember having an odd coloured GTI as a company car. They couldn’t retail it new as it wasn’t a brochure colour. I also had a certain spec Audi but they hadn’t fitted it with AC on the line, again difficult to retail new.
Wife had a Peugeot 206 CC with European seats - the isofix loops were on the driver's seat.

4941cc

25,737 posts

152 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
Probably had the bootlid painted at the dealer following a bump and they fitted a badge they had spare, rather than spend £60 on a new one.

How's the paint finish on that panel and the rear bumper? Compare well to the rear wings?

nullogik

100 posts

88 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
A neighbour has an '06 petrol W211 that is badged as an E420 rather than E240. It doesn't look its had any spray work done so it could be that in the factory someone put the digits the wrong way round. They did make a W211 E420 CDI V8 but his has the 2.6l V6 which makes it an E240.

Edited by nullogik on Thursday 10th October 13:41

SweptVolume

400 posts

39 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
talksthetorque said:
SweptVolume said:
Yeah, have to say, I don't get it either. If it's an E Class with a 2.0 engine, then it's an E200. Just a particularly fast one.
Whatever you do, don't go and look at an Audi Dealership or website.
Every time I see a new Audi I am baffled. If you need a log table to decode the badge, then frankly, I don't see why they didn't bother.

samoht

990 posts

92 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
IJWS15 said:
Wife had a Peugeot 206 CC with European seats - the isofix loops were on the driver's seat.
Gotta start 'em young!

Sheepshanks

18,151 posts

65 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
SweptVolume said:
talksthetorque said:
SweptVolume said:
Yeah, have to say, I don't get it either. If it's an E Class with a 2.0 engine, then it's an E200. Just a particularly fast one.
Whatever you do, don't go and look at an Audi Dealership or website.
Every time I see a new Audi I am baffled. If you need a log table to decode the badge, then frankly, I don't see why they didn't bother.
I've said this before, but I bet the user / chooser company car drivers love having 30's, 35's and 40's on the back of their rep-mobiles. I'm sure people will be picking Audi just based on that.

I looked MB GLE (what used to be M Class) 300d recently and was gobsmacked to find it's a 2litre 4 pot.

talksthetorque

6,451 posts

81 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
Sheepshanks said:
I've said this before, but I bet the user / chooser company car drivers love having 30's, 35's and 40's on the back of their rep-mobiles. I'm sure people will be picking Audi just based on that.

I looked MB GLE (what used to be M Class) 300d recently and was gobsmacked to find it's a 2litre 4 pot.
Guess what the new M135i is....

Fast Bug

7,357 posts

107 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
Sheepshanks said:
SweptVolume said:
talksthetorque said:
SweptVolume said:
Yeah, have to say, I don't get it either. If it's an E Class with a 2.0 engine, then it's an E200. Just a particularly fast one.
Whatever you do, don't go and look at an Audi Dealership or website.
Every time I see a new Audi I am baffled. If you need a log table to decode the badge, then frankly, I don't see why they didn't bother.
I've said this before, but I bet the user / chooser company car drivers love having 30's, 35's and 40's on the back of their rep-mobiles. I'm sure people will be picking Audi just based on that.

I looked MB GLE (what used to be M Class) 300d recently and was gobsmacked to find it's a 2litre 4 pot.
Why? They haven't reflected engine capacity for many years now, same with BMW

TommyBuoy

1,067 posts

113 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
I once had a 1999 E36 323i cab about 10 years ago as a stand in. The newer E46 shape had already come out but the cabriolet forsome reason was left behind.

Came from factory with a 328i twin exhaust on it and was a nightmare when buying parts when giving the age. Always got questioned.

Badges have been off for years (take the 323i), but people still assume the engine is as per the badge - a few people have asked if my 640 has a 4 litre engine or assumed it has. Yes, I do correct them smile

Sheepshanks

18,151 posts

65 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
Fast Bug said:
Why? They haven't reflected engine capacity for many years now, same with BMW
The first number's usually been right, I think? So 200/220/250 where all 2.1 litre, than later 2 litre.

Hoofy

69,290 posts

228 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
How do they use the numbers now then? It's still bigger number = bigger engine. Is there some weird rule I'm not aware of?

TommyBuoy

1,067 posts

113 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
Hoofy said:
How do they use the numbers now then? It's still bigger number = bigger engine. Is there some weird rule I'm not aware of?
Still performance / power related, just not capacity

Completely off topic, but why do eco friendly cars, or the technology for them have blue badges if theY are 'green' e.g blue efficiency

Hoofy

69,290 posts

228 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
TommyBuoy said:
Hoofy said:
How do they use the numbers now then? It's still bigger number = bigger engine. Is there some weird rule I'm not aware of?
Still performance / power related, just not capacity
Ok, I noticed yours is reviewed on Autocar: "among the turbocharged direct injection petrol units is a 315bhp 3.0-litre in-line six in the 640i driven here"

How does "40" relate to a 3 litre turbo then? Surely, it should be 630. Or 630T if they want to make it different from any non-turbo variant?

Composer62

295 posts

32 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
I followed a Nissan Leaf for a while today and noticed that the big round "NISSAN" badge on the back was upside down and actually said "NASSIN" .

kambites

57,442 posts

167 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
Hoofy said:
How does "40" relate to a 3 litre turbo then? Surely, it should be 630. Or 630T if they want to make it different from any non-turbo variant?
It doesn't, and it hasn't for decades. It's an indication of the performance of the car relative to others in the range, nothing more.

samoht

990 posts

92 months

Thursday 10th October
quotequote all
TommyBuoy said:
Completely off topic, but why do eco friendly cars, or the technology for them have blue badges if theY are 'green' e.g blue efficiency
"Green" risks being a legally binding claim that a product is good for the environment ... when at the end of the day, it's still a machine that turns old dinosaurs into smoke.
Hence manufacturers latched onto "Blue" as a way of suggesting a less polluting product, without risking having to defend in court claims that it has zero or positive effect on the environment.