Re : PH Carbituary | Volkswagen Golf R (Mk7)

Re : PH Carbituary | Volkswagen Golf R (Mk7)

Author
Discussion

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

22,928 posts

184 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
Raygun said:
Never wanted a VW Golf, never will.
hehe Don't get one then.

Simples

pppppppppppppppp

91 posts

71 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
eftiem64 said:
Dull as ditchwater. Surely you only had one if you couldn’t afford an S3?
What an ironically dull comment.

pangster79

171 posts

145 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
pppppppppppppppp said:
What an ironically dull comment.
rofl

Raygun

3,063 posts

69 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
2 sMoKiN bArReLs said:
Raygun said:
Never wanted a VW Golf, never will.
hehe Don't get one then.

Simples
There's no danger of that.

Coin Slot.

3,223 posts

112 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
Raygun said:
Never wanted a VW Golf, never will.
Nobody cares thumbup

pangster79

171 posts

145 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
Luca Brasi said:
Never saw the appeal of these over a proper sixcyl M135i/M140i tbh.
I went from an M135i LCI to a MK7.5 Golf R - and can honestly say the Golf R is a much better car almost all of the time, in every situation.. One of the main things you'll notice driving them back to back on anything that resembles a damp road is that the M135i traction light flickers for fun in third gear - whereas the R is a far more composed drive.

digimeistter

5,104 posts

158 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
I absolutely adore mine!

It simply does everything very well.

I'm definitely getting a MK8 R in November/December

stickleback123

5,377 posts

138 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
Coin Slot. said:
Raygun said:
Never wanted a VW Golf, never will.
Nobody cares thumbup
I did think that coming onto a thread just to say "I don't want one of these" was a bit odd hehe

Do you suppose he goes into shops, calls over the staff, points at something and says "I don't want to buy that" and then leaves?

Also, I don't want one either.

digimeistter

5,104 posts

158 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
stickleback123 said:
Coin Slot. said:
Raygun said:
Never wanted a VW Golf, never will.
Nobody cares thumbup
I did think that coming onto a thread just to say "I don't want one of these" was a bit odd hehe

Do you suppose he goes into shops, calls over the staff, points at something and says "I don't want to buy that" and then leaves?

Also, I don't want one either.
hehe

J4CKO

28,936 posts

149 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
pangster79 said:
Luca Brasi said:
Never saw the appeal of these over a proper sixcyl M135i/M140i tbh.
I went from an M135i LCI to a MK7.5 Golf R - and can honestly say the Golf R is a much better car almost all of the time, in every situation.. One of the main things you'll notice driving them back to back on anything that resembles a damp road is that the M135i traction light flickers for fun in third gear - whereas the R is a far more composed drive.
I have an M135i, I think the Golf in the better car really, should have got one really but the theft side ruled it out, BMW isnt immune but seen so many issues with the Golf's and similar 4WD VAG stuff seem a riskier proposition.

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

22,928 posts

184 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
digimeistter said:
stickleback123 said:
Coin Slot. said:
Raygun said:
Never wanted a VW Golf, never will.
Nobody cares thumbup
I did think that coming onto a thread just to say "I don't want one of these" was a bit odd hehe

Do you suppose he goes into shops, calls over the staff, points at something and says "I don't want to buy that" and then leaves?

Also, I don't want one either.
hehe
hehe Nowt so queer as folk. (Before queer meant something else)



SidewaysSi

6,281 posts

183 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
Raygun said:
2 sMoKiN bArReLs said:
Raygun said:
Never wanted a VW Golf, never will.
hehe Don't get one then.

Simples
There's no danger of that.
Yes I don't want one either.

Now let me go on every car thread I have no interest in and say the same...


ghost83

3,377 posts

139 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
Begall said:
Have you considered that a lease could have been more than 4K cheaper in the first place?
Yeah only if you went for a barebones basic model! Mine had every option ticked

dgswk

192 posts

43 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
pangster79 said:
I've got a MK7.5 and was lucky enough to get a 310 before they dropped it due to emissions.. fantastic car overall and the technology and build quality is VERY impressive.. as is the performance... it's *VERY* easy for anyone to drive one of these cars fast.. however, i wouldn't say it was the last word on a good driving experience or engagement.. *everything* is over assisted - the steering is mega light (even in race mode) and the brakes are hyper sensitive.. I can honestly say I generally prefer driving my MCS over the R.. a generally far more 'connected' driving experience.. (even if a bit crashy at times on our pot hole riddenroads)

In summary - I'd say if I want to get somewhere fast or have a lot of miles to do (or need to take my MTB anywhere) - then the Golf R is the better option.. if it's everyday driving or a B road blast then the MCS is my preferred choice.. just my opinion though!

Edited by pangster79 on Saturday 11th January 15:23
This struck a chord with me actually, back in 2016 I was in the market for one, but after an extended test drive, I was not completely convinced. Astonishingly fast yes, but the GTI I also tried just felt more involving to hustle down a B road. Then I tried a Mini JCW and in terms of driver involvement - particularly brake feel and steering feel, the deal was done on return to the dealership. Tried an Audi TT-S as well, in terms of driver involvement, was probably in last place behind all of them, despite being same platform / drivetrain as the Golf. Nice place to sit though.

But then I guess the Mini doesn’t have the practicality of a Golf, a (small) step down in size, which I was happy to compromise on.



Hub

4,473 posts

147 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
SidewaysSi said:
And the car that led to many people having guns pointed to their heads.
Basic stair domination training comes recommended.

Baldchap

1,989 posts

41 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
LotusOmega375D said:
Baldchap said:
LotusOmega375D said:
300bhp in a shopping trolley for the masses. No wonder every second Golf l see seems to be an R. My Ferrari with twice as many cylinders has the same power and is much slower. Same number of exhaust pipes though.
Something is popular, therefore it's rubbish. rolleyes
Who said it was rubbish? Are you regretting buying yours then?

My post was alluding to the fact that a Ferrari 348 or Mondial T had 300bhp. That was the 488 category of the day. 25 years later the same power output is found in a family hatchback. I guess both the hot hatch and the entry level supercar have doubled in power since then from 150bhp to 300bhp and 300bhp to 600bhp respectively. They probably use less fuel too. Amazing really.


Edited by LotusOmega375D on Saturday 11th January 10:26
Apologies, misinterpreted your meaning. thumbup

Olivera

3,668 posts

188 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
pangster79 said:
however, i wouldn't say it was the last word on a good driving experience or engagement.. *everything* is over assisted - the steering is mega light (even in race mode) and the brakes are hyper sensitive.. I can honestly say I generally prefer driving my MCS over the R.. a generally far more 'connected' driving experience..
That's my own experience with a Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG - highly competent, refined, handles well. However, from a driving experience perspective it offers very little. At no point have I ever thought I must take it out just for an enjoyable drive.

If you gave me an empty B road and the choice between a Golf GTI/R or a £750 Mk1 MX5, I'd choose the latter.

iphonedyou

7,628 posts

106 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
Court_S said:
Me too. I was far closer to ordering the TCR than the R.
But ordered neither.

pagc1

11 posts

56 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
I bought an ex-car pool, company lease, car supermarket vendor car - 4-door back in March '19 with just 4k on the clock and less than 8 months old. What could go wrong? I have had front shock absorbers, engine mounts and a new gearbox! replaced already, (under warranty, thank goodness). It's now a great car but clearly not unbreakable. I'm glad I didn't contemplate any ECU 'upgrade' . . .

NGK210

764 posts

94 months

Saturday 11th January
quotequote all
pagc1 said:
I bought an ex-car pool, company lease, car supermarket vendor car - 4-door back in March '19 with just 4k on the clock and less than 8 months old. What could go wrong? I have had front shock absorbers, engine mounts and a new gearbox! replaced already, (under warranty, thank goodness). It's now a great car but clearly not unbreakable. I'm glad I didn't contemplate any ECU 'upgrade' . . .
It seems as if your car has been regularly red-lined when the gearbox oil was cold and yumped over speed bumps. Are you sure the “car pool” didn’t belong to a city-based police force?