Toyota Supra (A80) | Spotted

Toyota Supra (A80) | Spotted

Author
Discussion

fullleather

148 posts

70 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
Was the speed sensitive, retractable front lip necessary? Hmmm perhaps Toyota thought sod it, if its good enough for the 3000GT then we'll fit the damn thing!

Equus

7,141 posts

50 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
swisstoni said:
Back in the day these things were never cheap.
Nether was another 'Toyota' of similar generation, being discussed not a million miles from here, of course.

That was a much better car, in most ways, as well as being more historically significant and much better reviewed in period... yet you'll pick up a minter for less than 1/6th the price being asked for this Supra.


Edited by Equus on Tuesday 14th January 10:53

st3ven1

139 posts

156 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
fullleather said:
Was the speed sensitive, retractable front lip necessary? Hmmm perhaps Toyota thought sod it, if its good enough for the 3000GT then we'll fit the damn thing!
As I posted in another thread: "Both the rear spoiler and front active spoiler were functional on the MK4 Supra, the rear wing produced down force for added stability at speed. The active front spoiler that deployed at around 60mph, split the airflow to direct air into the front grill, while the air going under the car was diffused which increased the air speed and created a lower pressure area under the car leading to more down force. It worked in a similar way to the ground effect but not as extreme."

The JDM cars were fitted with ceramic turbine wheels whereas the UK/Euro spec cars were fitted with steel turbine wheels.

Slight correction on the numbers produced, the article states 200 UK cars. There were just over 600 UK spec cars imported to the UK, with less than 200 of those being manual.

Another UK spec feature was the heated seats, this wasn't even an option on the JDM cars. Although the JDM cars did have an option catalogue with lots of small additions that could be specified. Everything from rear window shades, body graphics, interior lights & knee cushions. Some of these options are now very sought after.

Leon R

407 posts

45 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
thegreenhell said:
Pedant alert
article said:
Tipping the scales just under 1,600kg, it's never been a featherweight, but it has a better horsepower per tonne than the 348, Ferrari's mid-engined V8 offering of the day.
No it doesn't, not even close. The Ferrari was over 200kg lighter with near identical horsepower.
The 355 was pretty much bang on 1500, was the 348 that much lighter?

Andy83n

70 posts

11 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
348 TB 296hp @1500kg = 197.33hp/tonne
348 GTB 316hp @1500kg = 210.67hp/tonne
Supra 324hp @1490kg = 217.45hp/tonne


edit: the Manual TT A80 has official kerb weight of 1490KG (Auto 1570KG), so even with the 348GTB introduced in 1993/4 with 316hp has a lower hp/tonne


Edited by Andy83n on Tuesday 14th January 11:35

thegreenhell

6,383 posts

168 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
Andy83n said:
348 296hp @1500kg = 197.33hp/tonne
Supra 324hp @1600kg = 202.50hp/tonne
348 GTB - 320 bhp, 1370 kg = 233 bhp/tonne
Supra - 324 bhp, 1585 kg = 204 bhp/tonne

Andy83n

70 posts

11 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
thegreenhell said:
348 GTB - 320 bhp, 1370 kg = 233 bhp/tonne
Supra - 324 bhp, 1585 kg = 204 bhp/tonne
Official EU weight a bit porkier at 1575 for the GTB

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/fiche704-ferrari-348-gtb...

Bennet

1,297 posts

80 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
swampy442 said:
This is the trap everyone falls in to, a Supra isn't a sports car, it isn't even a performance car, its a GT cruiser, a car to pound the miles out in.
I once waded in to a Supra thread with this assumption. I was quickly informed by owners that "everyone thinks it's a GT" but that actually it's loud, with stiff suspension and not much in the way of luggage space.

cerb4.5lee

13,346 posts

129 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
Not much love for the Supra then. frown

I've not got a hairy chest and they've always seriously appealed to me. I've not had a go in one though so perhaps I'd change my mind after a drive in one.

I always liked the looks/performance and the inviting interior. Plus performance tuning wise it is a serious bit of kit for me.

ZeroGroundZero

148 posts

3 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
swampy442 said:
This is the trap everyone falls in to, a Supra isn't a sports car, it isn't even a performance car, its a GT cruiser, a car to pound the miles out in.

UK spec cars are crazy money now, but rust is a killer on them so be sure to get the boroscope out and get behind those skirts
In stock form I'd agree it is not a 'sports car', it is a moderately powered GT car. But it is of course a performance car.

However with even a mild tune the car is transformed in to a sports GT, capable of putting in some respectable times around the Nurburgring.
Give the car over 400bhp with a better air intake, intercooler, boost controller and the engine revs faster and the turbos spool up quicker. Add to that a modern adjustable suspension kit and the car becomes something you can chuck around a track with confidence and ability to 'compete' with toys much much more expensive.

Sold my uk-spec mildly tuned Supra last year as the prices had shot up in to 'crazy' money. Now struggling to find anything to replace it with without looking in to the >£100k market.
But speaking from experience the A80 was one of the best value for money sports GTs that money could buy. Which is why I am extremely disappointed with the new MkV Supra that was supposed to replace it. It doesn't come close and is very much a step backwards in its concept. The FT-01 would have been an evolution but not the resultant Z4 hardtop abomination.

C7 JFW

1,044 posts

168 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
Hold on a minute.

It was the bodykits and 1,000bhp that made me want one. I'd buy one to have it WITH the kit, not without.

DanielSan

14,615 posts

116 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
Don't get the big deal with a standard Mk4 Supra, they look a bit weird and the standard wheels are gash. Give me something like this any day..




It's modifying that's made these cars legendary so why own a standard one.

V8 FOU

2,668 posts

96 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
swampy442 said:
so be sure to get the boroscope out and get behind those skirts
I got arrested last time I tried that........

Plate spinner

13,911 posts

149 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
Nope, don’t see the appeal at that price - didn’t want one then or now.

I liked gran tourismo and was of that generation but thought F&F was a load of turd...

Andy83n

70 posts

11 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
Don't get the big deal with a standard Mk4 Supra, they look a bit weird and the standard wheels are gash. Give me something like this any day..




It's modifying that's made these cars legendary so why own a standard one.
"Yeah, the rear spolier provides 25kg of additional downforce at 100mph"

"How much does it weigh?"

"30kg..."




TommoAE86

2,028 posts

76 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
cerb4.5lee said:
Not much love for the Supra then. frown

I've not got a hairy chest and they've always seriously appealed to me. I've not had a go in one though so perhaps I'd change my mind after a drive in one.

I always liked the looks/performance and the inviting interior. Plus performance tuning wise it is a serious bit of kit for me.
I love it beer anything from Japan is brilliant to me.


BUG4LIFE

1,478 posts

167 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
cerb4.5lee said:
Not much love for the Supra then. frown

I've not got a hairy chest and they've always seriously appealed to me. I've not had a go in one though so perhaps I'd change my mind after a drive in one.

I always liked the looks/performance and the inviting interior. Plus performance tuning wise it is a serious bit of kit for me.
I'm a big fan of the Mk4 Supra and would defo have one in my dream garage [next to an R34 GTR, NSX Type-R, RX7 Spirit-R and Lexus LFA Nurburgring].

Mine would have to be pretty standard though, upping power and nicer wheels.

£30k is a bunch of money for a car with 100k miles though...you'd have to really want a UK car.

BUG4LIFE

1,478 posts

167 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
Plate spinner said:
Nope, don’t see the appeal at that price - didn’t want one then or now.

I liked gran tourismo and was of that generation but thought F&F was a load of turd...
Good for you smile

cheesesliceking

1,437 posts

189 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
Equus said:
Yes, obviously.

Being old enough to remember them being regarded as a bit 'council' when new, I've obviously got a quite jaded view of them.

Clearly, enough kids of the Fast and Furious generation, from the sink estates, have now made good...
Yes that has to be it, i mean there's no other explanation.

swisstoni

8,422 posts

228 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
Equus said:
swisstoni said:
Back in the day these things were never cheap.
Nether was another 'Toyota' of similar generation, being discussed not a million miles from here, of course.

That was a much better car, in most ways, as well as being more historically significant and much better reviewed in period... yet you'll pick up a minter for less than 1/6th the price being asked for this Supra.


Edited by Equus on Tuesday 14th January 10:53
Not a lot of demand then.