Toyota Supra (A80) | Spotted

Toyota Supra (A80) | Spotted

Author
Discussion

Scootersp

1,122 posts

137 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
Not 100% disagreeing but it's no more or less mad than Sierra Cosworths etc?




fullleather

148 posts

70 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
The designers appear to have been gazing at too many images of the F40 judging by the jumbo rear wing and rear light clusters....although the Supras rump looks a tad heavy without the rear wing.

Amirhussain

11,110 posts

112 months

Tuesday 14th January
quotequote all
One of my all time favourite cars. If I had the money I’d love to buy one and go crazy with the mods.

Scootersp

1,122 posts

137 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
I remember the Blitz car being featured in Max think it was around 98 Silver car with graphics and the gold Blitz split rims that look like they were designed to be put on a Suprs they suit it that well.

Quick Goohle search found this video

https://youtu.be/egZTgGPQLBk
This very car got back on the road last year! Someone over many years gradually rejuvenated it

torqueischeap

10 posts

97 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
rider73 said:
Veeayt said:
Never seen that bonnet scoop before. Looks stupid and out of place.
IIRC it was standard on all UK versions
Correct, apparently to reduce a hot spot on the engine, maybe with the increased power over the UK vs JDM version

ZeroGroundZero

148 posts

3 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
torqueischeap said:
rider73 said:
Veeayt said:
Never seen that bonnet scoop before. Looks stupid and out of place.
IIRC it was standard on all UK versions
Correct, apparently to reduce a hot spot on the engine, maybe with the increased power over the UK vs JDM version
See post number 11 of the thread by St3ven1 wink

Gompo

3,839 posts

207 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
There's a UK Turbo fairly local to me, which according to the MOT history has probably just ticked over 40k miles; must be worth £40-50k? Always nice to see it about, although obviously doesn't get much use.

Jon_S_Rally

687 posts

37 months

Wednesday 15th January
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
I remember the Blitz car being featured in Max think it was around 98 Silver car with graphics and the gold Blitz split rims that look like they were designed to be put on a Suprs they suit it that well.

Quick Goohle search found this video

https://youtu.be/egZTgGPQLBk
That's the one. I follow the owner on Instagram. He has a wide-arch one as well.

chelme said:
Wow! 100,000 miles on the clock and £29k?!

It was never THAT great a car.
Since when were classic car values linked to how good a car was/is? There is FAR more to it than that.

Martin F

70 posts

200 months

Yesterday (00:26)
quotequote all
st3ven1 said:
That's an OEM bonnet scoop, they were fitted to all of the UK Spec cars.
This was done as the Euro/UK spec cars had to pass stricter emissions regulations, to achieve this Toyota fitted them with EGR valve. This directed hot exhaust gas into cylinder 5 and hence the need for extra cooling in that area. The bonnet scoop directs air into a snorkel which is pointed at the rear of the engine around cylinder 5 & 6.
I’m not sure that’s correct as US cars also had the EGR system and no bonnet scoop. I remember reading that the manifold cracks between 5 and 6 occurred due to higher temperatures achieved during high speed driving on the autobahn’s, hence why the scoop was added to EU/UK cars.

Typical Toyota over engineering of the time, they must have got right as I’ve never heard of any cracks in this area during regular use.


hungry_hog

1,011 posts

137 months

Yesterday (00:45)
quotequote all
if you own one of these is it mandatory to pull up to a black Ferrari at the lights and ask "what's the retail on that?"

fullleather

148 posts

70 months

Yesterday (09:40)
quotequote all
Near the end of this cars production run, didn't Toyota revise something engine wise, variable valve timing or something iirc?

Martin F

70 posts

200 months

Yesterday (10:02)
quotequote all
fullleather said:
Near the end of this cars production run, didn't Toyota revise something engine wise, variable valve timing or something iirc?
Yes, VVTi was introduced from 1996 on Jap-spec cars.