RE: 2020 Mercedes-AMG A45 S | UK Review

RE: 2020 Mercedes-AMG A45 S | UK Review

Author
Discussion

uncleluck

381 posts

4 months

Wednesday 19th February
quotequote all
Panjy said:
I like it, a hell of a lot of performance from a four cylinder hot hatch.

However, the price and weight are both far too high for me for the type of car it is.

To put the weight in some form of context, this car weighs more than both the BMW M4 and Alfa Gulia Quadrifoglio, cars with more powerful six cylinder engines and of the next segment up.
It is a bit of a lump!

I was thinking of getting an sti hatch until I read they’re nearly 500kg heavier than my classic. When you take that into consideration it kills the idea especially and would equate to my classic being 50-60bhp down on power now which would be terrible. Then you think mod it more but you’re talking whole different levels (bigger turbos etc)


Wills2

16,952 posts

128 months

Wednesday 19th February
quotequote all
Olivera said:
Panjy said:
To put the weight in some form of context, this car weighs more than both the BMW M4 and Alfa Gulia Quadrifoglio, cars with more powerful six cylinder engines and of the next segment up.
I suspect your not comparing like-for-like weights. I.e. EU vs unladen etc. This is not a lightweight but it will be less than those two cars.

Evo magazine actually put an M4 and Gulia Quadrifoglio on a weighbridge, the M4 was IIRC about 1670kg, the Gulia a bit more.
What makes you think the Merc would be any different in terms of weighing more than the quoted 1635kg?

Onehp

1,275 posts

236 months

Wednesday 19th February
quotequote all
Wills2 said:
Olivera said:
Panjy said:
To put the weight in some form of context, this car weighs more than both the BMW M4 and Alfa Gulia Quadrifoglio, cars with more powerful six cylinder engines and of the next segment up.
I suspect your not comparing like-for-like weights. I.e. EU vs unladen etc. This is not a lightweight but it will be less than those two cars.

Evo magazine actually put an M4 and Gulia Quadrifoglio on a weighbridge, the M4 was IIRC about 1670kg, the Gulia a bit more.
What makes you think the Merc would be any different in terms of weighing more than the quoted 1635kg?
The 1635kg is incl 75kg driver, that said german mags weighed the hatch, with options obviously, at 1645kg fuelled without driver. Likewise, the Giulia QV auto weighed in at 1734kg and an M4 comp dkg is around 1650kg irl no driver, full tank. So the hyperhatch is the lightest and does sport awd instead of rwd... And two cylinders and a booty less.


Edited by Onehp on Wednesday 19th February 21:54

Pommy

10,714 posts

169 months

Wednesday 19th February
quotequote all
Honeywell said:
Jonno02 said:
It’s just the blokeish fallacy of more benign better

my GT86 with a sports exhaust and mild remap

Oh the irony...
More revs and eliminating the emissions torque dip were the primary aims. I have a wafty V8 in the garage and a BMW535d (also remapped) for thrust competitions. For a thrash through Wales for fun a GT86 (lower centre of gravity than a Cayman don't you know) is by far the best choice.

These overboosted crazy power massive grip auto box hatches just leave me baffled as to where the driving fun is?
A GT86 is by far the best choice for a country road blast?

I would say a Ferrari F40 would be the best choice but its overboosted, crazy power and massive grip might just rule it out, or is this a selective argument?

Honeywell

349 posts

51 months

Thursday 20th February
quotequote all
Err, a Ferrari F40 for blasting the wet twisty tarmac of Wales in February?

Totally wrong tool. That thing is amazeballs on a track, or on a German autobahn blitzing Porsches. It's too wide, the ride to hard, the tyres to prince to tramline on cold wet welsh roads. You'd never get the tyres warm enough to get into their design range. You'd have a choice of driving in only two gears realistically. Plus it's worth hundreds of thousands and you might hit a sheep around the next bend. Totally the wrong machine for that job.

F40 at a hill climb - I've been up close and it was awesome. On the back roads of Powys it would be a boring expensive risky fish out of water my friend.

Pommy

10,714 posts

169 months

Thursday 20th February
quotequote all
Honeywell said:
Err, a Ferrari F40 for blasting the wet twisty tarmac of Wales in February?

Totally wrong tool. That thing is amazeballs on a track, or on a German autobahn blitzing Porsches. It's too wide, the ride to hard, the tyres to prince to tramline on cold wet welsh roads. You'd never get the tyres warm enough to get into their design range. You'd have a choice of driving in only two gears realistically. Plus it's worth hundreds of thousands and you might hit a sheep around the next bend. Totally the wrong machine for that job.

F40 at a hill climb - I've been up close and it was awesome. On the back roads of Powys it would be a boring expensive risky fish out of water my friend.
But what if it had a mild map and a sports exhaust?

hothatchery7

71 posts

28 months

Thursday 20th February
quotequote all
Pommy said:
But what if it had a mild map and a sports exhaust?
Then it would be the best car by far on the planet smile

Edited by hothatchery7 on Thursday 20th February 07:18

hothatchery7

71 posts

28 months

Thursday 20th February
quotequote all
Honeywell said:
If you thrashed this car on the public road like I did mine today you’d end up in the Morgue or the Crown Court within short order. Where’s the balance? Where’s the car moving around on the edge of grip? Where’s the cheeky power oversteer on the wet roundabout? Where’s the beautifully rev matched gear change under braking?

Plus it looks like it’s been styled by a 16yr oldlad with a Saturday job in Demon Tweaks.


I am sure they will sell by the bucketload. I don’t get it though. It looks like not much fun - remember fun? - wrapped up in a package that requires a lot of compromises on everything but raw thrust. I think I’d have more driving pleasure in a 2CV.
You can’t of been thrashing the Toyota very much then? only takes 30mph over the limit for a ban and that gutless remapped engine can surely do that. If you get joy from every single corner no matter what speed in yours, you may as well just get a 2CV. It’s hardly a thrilling masterpiece of a vehicle and arguably there are many many cars I’ve driven that I enjoyed more than one of those. Granted the one I drove didn’t have a sports exhaust.

You simply cannot compare a gt86 to one of these?! In terms of practicality, performance, safety, grip, build quality and refinement.

Edited by hothatchery7 on Thursday 20th February 07:27

Onehp

1,275 posts

236 months

Thursday 20th February
quotequote all
hothatchery7 said:
You can’t of been thrashing the Toyota very much then? only takes 30mph over the limit for a ban and that gutless remapped engine can surely do that. If you get joy from every single corner no matter what speed in yours, you may as well just get a 2CV. It’s hardly a thrilling masterpiece of a vehicle and arguably there are many many cars I’ve driven that I enjoyed more than one of those. Granted the one I drove didn’t have a sports exhaust.

You simply cannot compare a gt86 to one of these?! In terms of practicality, performance, safety, grip, build quality and refinement.

Edited by hothatchery7 on Thursday 20th February 07:27
No fun in that list? My also mildly modded GT86 was fine as a daily, and it is more pactical than a 911, but once having a family it did run out of practicality.... My hot hatch/estate is proper sorted too but doesn't come close for pure driving interaction and the ability to push it quite some without the need to do silly speeds straight on to get driving thrills. Is it so hard to concede the A45s won't be best at everything?

Diclaimer: I haven't driven the A45s on such roads and neither have most of us here, but by the very concept that makes it good at your list of attributes, it will hardly be a pure driving experience. Thrilling at times yes. I guess I'm more on the Chris Harris side. All the while admitting I'd love one anyway. Just not for those reasons...

TheDrBrian

3,027 posts

175 months

Thursday 20th February
quotequote all
cerb4.5lee said:
Olivera said:
cerb4.5lee said:
I constantly moaned about only having 295 Ib/ft torque in my E92 M3..
Make that 'still constantly moan'. Hardly a day goes by without you mentioning it on here.
That is a fair point and I do reference it a lot for sure. smile
If only there was some way to multply torque. A container of cogs or something.

BrewsterBear said:
The clever 4WD system means it can be driven however you like including in hooligan RWD drift mode. It does 60mph in 4 seconds.

.
tongue outress X to doubt:

NGK210

1,018 posts

98 months

Thursday 20th February
quotequote all
Why so reverential when mentioning the F40?
When it was launched, Car mag et al criticised it for a rock hard borderline unusable ride on public roads, yet on track it lurched, pitched, leaned, and generally felt ‘orrible around corners.
Cynical, crude, underdeveloped rip-off cash cow was the general verdict.
What’s happened in the intervening years - does every F40 now have redesigned suspension and steering?

Honeywell

349 posts

51 months

Thursday 20th February
quotequote all
hothatchery7 said:
You can’t of been thrashing the Toyota very much then? only takes 30mph over the limit for a ban and that gutless remapped engine can surely do that. If you get joy from every single corner no matter what speed in yours, you may as well just get a 2CV. It’s hardly a thrilling masterpiece of a vehicle and arguably there are many many cars I’ve driven that I enjoyed more than one of those. Granted the one I drove didn’t have a sports exhaust.

You simply cannot compare a gt86 to one of these?! In terms of practicality, performance, safety, grip, build quality and refinement.

Edited by hothatchery7 on Thursday 20th February 07:27
A lack of a gut is a much strived for attribute amongst men.

If the objective is fun rather than thrust then a GT86 is a skilfully used Rabbit and the Merc45 is a crudely used Black Mamba.


FOr £51k you get a fantastic new Golf GTi plus a used Lotus Elise, tricked GT86, Westfield, every single motorbike or whatever else to get your proper sports cars kicks. I got my Toyota sideways more often yesterday than any MercA45 will ever do in three years of leasing. Who is having the most fun?

jdmave

72 posts

88 months

Thursday 20th February
quotequote all
Honeywell said:
hothatchery7 said:
You can’t of been thrashing the Toyota very much then? only takes 30mph over the limit for a ban and that gutless remapped engine can surely do that. If you get joy from every single corner no matter what speed in yours, you may as well just get a 2CV. It’s hardly a thrilling masterpiece of a vehicle and arguably there are many many cars I’ve driven that I enjoyed more than one of those. Granted the one I drove didn’t have a sports exhaust.

You simply cannot compare a gt86 to one of these?! In terms of practicality, performance, safety, grip, build quality and refinement.

Edited by hothatchery7 on Thursday 20th February 07:27
A lack of a gut is a much strived for attribute amongst men.

If the objective is fun rather than thrust then a GT86 is a skilfully used Rabbit and the Merc45 is a crudely used Black Mamba.


FOr £51k you get a fantastic new Golf GTi plus a used Lotus Elise, tricked GT86, Westfield, every single motorbike or whatever else to get your proper sports cars kicks. I got my Toyota sideways more often yesterday than any MercA45 will ever do in three years of leasing. Who is having the most fun?
I'd have to argue my point and say in the last couple weeks with the sheer volumes of water on the roads.......I've been having more fun in a safer way in an A45s than I'd have in an arse waving coupe whilst sharing the road with other users........

hothatchery7

71 posts

28 months

Thursday 20th February
quotequote all
Honeywell said:
A lack of a gut is a much strived for attribute amongst men.

If the objective is fun rather than thrust then a GT86 is a skilfully used Rabbit and the Merc45 is a crudely used Black Mamba.


FOr £51k you get a fantastic new Golf GTi plus a used Lotus Elise, tricked GT86, Westfield, every single motorbike or whatever else to get your proper sports cars kicks. I got my Toyota sideways more often yesterday than any MercA45 will ever do in three years of leasing. Who is having the most fun?
It depends what you get fun from I suppose. And as someone said it is healthy for us all to have different opinions. If we agreed it would be boring. But I had my fun in e36 compacts with hydro handbrake an diff, but generally now unless it’s in a forest I don’t find going sideways as much fun as going as fast as possible into corners and waiting until the very last second to lean on incredible brakes. but on day to day driving I will concede having a little low speed slide would liven a journey up. but on the topic of a brand new car at this price range, I still think very little could actually come close to the capability and all round prowess as one of these.

Onehp

1,275 posts

236 months

Thursday 20th February
quotequote all
On the topic of sideways, if one has to have a 4wd hot hatch, or even more an fast estate, the A45s/CLA45s SB is a very strong contendor. Slippery roads, snow, gravel, weeks of shopping, school run, M-way stint, slippery road again.
No manual handbrake in this one?

jdmave

72 posts

88 months

Thursday 20th February
quotequote all
Onehp said:
On the topic of sideways, if one has to have a 4wd hot hatch, or even more an fast estate, the A45s/CLA45s SB is a very strong contendor. Slippery roads, snow, gravel, weeks of shopping, school run, M-way stint, slippery road again.
No manual handbrake in this one?
If you want all that, just drop it into drift mode and smile.........yes its assisted but hey ho

Pommy

10,714 posts

169 months

Thursday 20th February
quotequote all
NGK210 said:
Why so reverential when mentioning the F40?
When it was launched, Car mag et al criticised it for a rock hard borderline unusable ride on public roads, yet on track it lurched, pitched, leaned, and generally felt ‘orrible around corners.
Cynical, crude, underdeveloped rip-off cash cow was the general verdict.
What’s happened in the intervening years - does every F40 now have redesigned suspension and steering?
You couldnt be more wrong it appears and this is from CAR July 1988:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carmagazine.co.uk...

"So how does the F40 stack up as a road car? It is sensational, no doubt. Both to look at, and to drive. Probably the most sensational sports car ever unveiled. It is certainly the most accelerative. The most exhilarating. Never before has a machine so overtly aping Silverstone machinery had the opportunity legally to drive down to Sainsbury’s. It is also beautifully made, a joy to examine in detail, and to touch. It is a much more exciting, gratifying car to look at, and observe, than the Porsche 959."

Onehp

1,275 posts

236 months

Sunday 1st March
quotequote all
https://www.motortrend.com/news/amg-m139-turbo-fou...

Interesting about the engine.

Trick cooling
Ball bearing turbo
Response focused mapping