RE: Range Rover Velar SVA vs Cayenne Coupe Turbo

RE: Range Rover Velar SVA vs Cayenne Coupe Turbo

Author
Discussion

cayman-black

9,191 posts

170 months

Sunday 8th March
quotequote all
PhantomPH said:
Not to be too negative, but are JLR having a laugh with the tailpipe design fakery here? Aside from being fake (as a previous posted mentioned) they are also disproportionately large. Perhaps if they were black rather than silver, it might not be that bad.

Not good. Not good.

The exhaust trims are a little too large i agree but they are not fake.

PhantomPH

3,294 posts

179 months

Sunday 8th March
quotequote all
cayman-black said:
PhantomPH said:
Not to be too negative, but are JLR having a laugh with the tailpipe design fakery here? Aside from being fake (as a previous posted mentioned) they are also disproportionately large. Perhaps if they were black rather than silver, it might not be that bad.

Not good. Not good.

The exhaust trims are a little too large i agree but they are not fake.
They're not fake trims but they are fake exhaust tips. smile Unless that was the joke you were making?

(Look at the right set in the pic - you can see the actual exhaust tips inside)

9k rpm

212 posts

164 months

Sunday 8th March
quotequote all
cayman-black said:
PhantomPH said:
Not to be too negative, but are JLR having a laugh with the tailpipe design fakery here? Aside from being fake (as a previous posted mentioned) they are also disproportionately large. Perhaps if they were black rather than silver, it might not be that bad.

Not good. Not good.

The exhaust trims are a little too large i agree but they are not fake.
Look pretty fake to me. You can see the actual exhaust in the right hand one on the pic below.


fathomfive

9,150 posts

144 months

Sunday 8th March
quotequote all
In the grand scheme of things, the exhaust trims on the Velar are nowhere near as bad as driving along with a spoiler which makes it look like your boot is open on the Porsche.

Daveyraveygravey

1,623 posts

138 months

Sunday 8th March
quotequote all
PH, you've lost the plot. Beauty pageant? Too pretty? Eh??? Tractors for wkers that don't like actually driving, and are more concerned with how many buttons there are to push and what "the badge says about them."

XIII

3,450 posts

52 months

Sunday 8th March
quotequote all
I'm constantly hearing how everyone thinks the Velar is a pretty car.

It's like saying Vanessa Feltz is pretty.

ettore

2,716 posts

206 months

Monday 9th March
quotequote all
Phil Dicky said:
Jesus that's embarrassing.
It doesn’t take three inputs to turn the heated seats on either. You press the nob and turn it!

900T-R

20,269 posts

211 months

Monday 9th March
quotequote all
Ugh. Do we, as a community of people who would like to continue to be able to enjoy their driving in the current and future climate (sic), absolutely need to highlight the existence of these rolling adverts for the anti-car lobby?

Ares

9,281 posts

74 months

Monday 9th March
quotequote all
Always entertaining to see irrational anti-SUV fraternity's bleating, pretending to care so little about these 'offences to motoring' that they feel the need to comment on every single thread..... Great way to cheer us up in the midst of COVID-19 fear.



Back on topic, as I'm starting to look at a replacement for the Alfa QV when it goes back in a year, a performance SUV is on the cards, and I love the look of both of these. The £20k (£40k?) price difference is verging on laughable though.

Ares

9,281 posts

74 months

Monday 9th March
quotequote all
...and FWIW, I could give a st about fake exhaust tips. The 4 on my current car are all genuine and they are a royal pain in the arse to keep clean.

JLH Warren

1 posts

28 months

Monday 9th March
quotequote all
I know which one will be worth less after 3 yrs and its not the Porsche.

Ares

9,281 posts

74 months

Monday 9th March
quotequote all
JLH Warren said:
I know which one will be worth less after 3 yrs and its not the Porsche.
Only the foolish will buy these new though...... Depreciation becomes a non-issue.

Vocht

1,461 posts

118 months

Monday 9th March
quotequote all
The Velar starts at £44,500, with the Cayenne Coupe starting at £62,000, a 39% price difference in price between the two of them at a base level.

By comparison, the Velar SVA starts at £86,600 and the Cayenne Coupe Turbo £104,700, so a closer gap of 'just' 21% difference.

Perceive that as you will, but to me it makes the SVA worse value as you're paying nearly double (94%) for the performance model, where as with the Porsche you're only paying 68% difference from base to range topping.






Ares

9,281 posts

74 months

Monday 9th March
quotequote all
Vocht said:
The Velar starts at £44,500, with the Cayenne Coupe starting at £62,000, a 39% price difference in price between the two of them at a base level.

By comparison, the Velar SVA starts at £86,600 and the Cayenne Coupe Turbo £104,700, so a closer gap of 'just' 21% difference.

Perceive that as you will, but to me it makes the SVA worse value as you're paying nearly double (94%) for the performance model, where as with the Porsche you're only paying 68% difference from base to range topping.
Yes, but the base Velar is a lowly 2 litre diesel with 180 bhp. The base Cayenne is a 3litre V6 with 340bhp. Not really comparable as base models.



Pro Bono

219 posts

31 months

Monday 9th March
quotequote all
JLH Warren said:
I know which one will be worth less after 3 yrs and its not the Porsche.
Nobody buys cars like this any more; they just rent them.

900T-R

20,269 posts

211 months

Monday 9th March
quotequote all
Ares said:
Always entertaining to see irrational anti-SUV fraternity's bleating,
Could you enlighten me about the rationality of pushing a great big breeze block through the air if 'performance' is any consideration at all?

It's conspicuous consumption of finite resources for its own sake, plain and simple.

NomduJour

14,640 posts

213 months

Monday 9th March
quotequote all
900T-R said:
Could you enlighten me about the rationality of pushing a great big breeze block through the air if 'performance' is any consideration at all?

It's conspicuous consumption of finite resources for its own sake, plain and simple.
What about that TVR in your profile? I’d bet both of these cars are capable of being driven more economically - and they’re both certainly massively less polluting - than an old Chimaera.
Why have that when you could ride around on a bike, whilst self-flagellating?

Buster73

3,888 posts

107 months

Monday 9th March
quotequote all
Pro Bono said:
Nobody buys cars like this any more; they just rent them.
Wrong.

Cold

8,888 posts

44 months

Monday 9th March
quotequote all
big_rob_sydney said:
lumbering stboxes
Velar: 0-62 in 4.3s, top speed 170mph
Cayenne: 0-62 in 3.9s, top speed 177mph.

"Lumbering."laugh

mac96

1,647 posts

97 months

Monday 9th March
quotequote all
This IS going well.
Can't we just accept that some people like fast SUVs, some like tiny city cars and other people like American muscle cars. It's be dull if everyone liked and drove the same thing.