RE: MOTs given automatic six-month extension

RE: MOTs given automatic six-month extension

Author
Discussion

Dracoro

7,862 posts

207 months

Wednesday 3rd June 2020
quotequote all
What I mean, it that was extended once. That has been done.

Think of it another way, imagine your car was first registered 6 months later than it was. Then think of what your MOT date would then be.

glennjamin

37 posts

25 months

Wednesday 3rd June 2020
quotequote all
How do the garages expect to catch up with the back log ? Going to double number of MOT'S required every month for duration of extension.

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

26,117 posts

197 months

Wednesday 3rd June 2020
quotequote all
Dracoro said:
What I mean, it that was extended once. That has been done.

Think of it another way, imagine your car was first registered 6 months later than it was. Then think of what your MOT date would then be.
hehe That's still not what I meant. If my MOT is due December 1st I wonder if I'll have to do it, or will it be extended until May. I doubt the scheme will run for a full year to March 2021.

Dracoro

7,862 posts

207 months

Wednesday 3rd June 2020
quotequote all
No, as everyone has extension (as I understand it).

They will be busy at times where customers MOT at original month rather than waiting until new month.
That may be offset by some customers MOTing in this 6 month period, such as my wife (doctor so needs car and wanted to ensure all serviced/MOT event though technically didn't need to MOT).
Next June will be a little more busy however as all those originally Expiring December will now expire June next year.

Dracoro

7,862 posts

207 months

Wednesday 3rd June 2020
quotequote all
2 sMoKiN bArReLs said:
Dracoro said:
What I mean, it that was extended once. That has been done.

Think of it another way, imagine your car was first registered 6 months later than it was. Then think of what your MOT date would then be.
hehe That's still not what I meant. If my MOT is due December 1st I wonder if I'll have to do it, or will it be extended until May. I doubt the scheme will run for a full year to March 2021.
As I understand it, all cars have had a 6 month extension, so yes your car should now expire June 1st 2021.

That's unless, ONLY cars expiring April-Oct have been given extension......

Magnum 475

2,173 posts

94 months

Wednesday 3rd June 2020
quotequote all
I think some clarity on when this scheme is ending would be useful though. I've got one due on 23rd June. Ideally I'd just book it in for an MOT, but a lot of our local garages are still only working on 'key workers' cars with reduced staff an no waiting areas. As my car has just been main dealer serviced I'm not worried about roadworthiness, just legality. I guess I just have to wait until 7 days before and see if it gets extended or not - but some advance notice from the government would be very useful about now.


2 sMoKiN bArReLs

26,117 posts

197 months

Wednesday 3rd June 2020
quotequote all
Magnum 475 said:
I think some clarity on when this scheme is ending would be useful though. I've got one due on 23rd June. Ideally I'd just book it in for an MOT, but a lot of our local garages are still only working on 'key workers' cars with reduced staff an no waiting areas. As my car is main dealer serviced I'm not worried about roadworthiness, just legality. I guess I just have to wait until 7 days before and see if it gets extended or not - but some advance notice from the government would be very useful about now.
Agreed, that what I was getting at.

Cliftonite

7,602 posts

100 months

Wednesday 3rd June 2020
quotequote all
maz8062 said:
Cliftonite said:
V6todayEVmanana said:
Family owned car had an expiry of 3rd June 2020.

Last week it automatically extended to 3rd Dec 2020.

So that's the new expiry anniversary date.

When the car gets MOT'd before 3rd Dec 2020, it should extend to 3rd Dec 2021.
scratchchin
:facepalm:
I would refer you to StevenB's post!

MG CHRIS

7,562 posts

129 months

Wednesday 3rd June 2020
quotequote all
2 sMoKiN bArReLs said:
Magnum 475 said:
I think some clarity on when this scheme is ending would be useful though. I've got one due on 23rd June. Ideally I'd just book it in for an MOT, but a lot of our local garages are still only working on 'key workers' cars with reduced staff an no waiting areas. As my car is main dealer serviced I'm not worried about roadworthiness, just legality. I guess I just have to wait until 7 days before and see if it gets extended or not - but some advance notice from the government would be very useful about now.
Agreed, that what I was getting at.
It would be nice for us mot testers as well. We have done just 1 mot this week which was oddly a camper its killing us with lack of work. Still don't understand that some garages are just doing key workers car there just isn't enough work of them to keep going, our site main dealer re-opened first amongst the dealers in Cardiff for key workers within a week that was dropped as the demand wasn't there. May was our first full month and on the 3 brands all were roughly down 2/3rd of its usual figures we were slightly better than expected the next few months will be critical.

stevemcs

5,275 posts

55 months

Wednesday 3rd June 2020
quotequote all
We are 6 per day and booked up until 17th June, some are the normal June MOT's but there are also quite a few people who have the extension but still want it MOT'ing now.

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

26,117 posts

197 months

Thursday 4th June 2020
quotequote all
stevemcs said:
We are 6 per day and booked up until 17th June, some are the normal June MOT's but there are also quite a few people who have the extension but still want it MOT'ing now.
I'm doing the same. My MOT was extended to November, but I'm getting it done in a couple of weeks anyway.

LukeyP_

356 posts

16 months

Thursday 4th June 2020
quotequote all
I'll be getting mine done earlier too, probably July/August time.

Mine was due on 31st May, but I have 4 new tyres waiting to go on so was awaiting garages to fully re-open - they aren't on limit, but about 2mm and rather not have the advisory.

RC1

3,895 posts

181 months

Saturday 6th June 2020
quotequote all
I expect i am being dim but if my MOT expires 18 June does that mean it is extended for another 6 months and that i will be notified a few days prior to the 18 June that this is so?

Boobonman

5,534 posts

154 months

Saturday 6th June 2020
quotequote all
I checked mine online and they’ve bolted on the 6mth extension.

Hippea

494 posts

31 months

Saturday 6th June 2020
quotequote all
Has it been announced when this is due to end? I have an mot due first week of July.

Chedders

150 posts

51 months

Saturday 6th June 2020
quotequote all
Our Honda was due 13th June and was updated today. No notifications, just updated to 13th December.

Truckosaurus

8,080 posts

246 months

Saturday 6th June 2020
quotequote all
The gov.uk MoT checker site has the details.

They say to check 7 days before it expires and it should appear with the new expiry date, if not, contact them with 3 days to go and they'll manually update the end date.

No news of the scheme coming to an end, but it seems the motor trade is pushing for it to be wound up as they want the business.

S1KRR

12,548 posts

174 months

Saturday 6th June 2020
quotequote all
Truckosaurus said:
The gov.uk MoT checker site has the details.

They say to check 7 days before it expires and it should appear with the new expiry date, if not, contact them with 3 days to go and they'll manually update the end date.

No news of the scheme coming to an end, but it seems the motor trade is pushing for it to be wound up as they want the business.
Even if we ignore the business angle, we all know that there are people that will be driving round on tyres with the cords showing for another 6 months until someone professional points out this to them rolleyes

Matthen

1,109 posts

113 months

Saturday 6th June 2020
quotequote all
S1KRR said:
Even if we ignore the business angle, we all know that there are people that will be driving round on tyres with the cords showing for another 6 months until someone professional points out this to them rolleyes
And getting an MoT in the 6 months following the end of the automatic extension will be a ballache - twice as many people will be trying to get them.

MG CHRIS

7,562 posts

129 months

Saturday 6th June 2020
quotequote all
Just get your mot done when its due don't wait around for this 6 month extension if your not isolating etc. There really is no need to wait an extra 6 months.