RE: MOTs given automatic six-month extension

RE: MOTs given automatic six-month extension

Author
Discussion

Drezza

564 posts

14 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
2 sMoKiN bArReLs said:
Not somebody messing with the child locks? Just a thought.
It's a re-occuring issue, already had a mechanic look at it and fixed it, then broke again.... I told him to take the seats out and weld the doors up!

Neith

540 posts

100 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
RX-8's due on the 6th August... Never been more afraid of MOT tests than I am with the rotary laugh Worst thing is, I'm waiting on the right car to come up at Japanese auctions so was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about the RX-8's MOT until the new car arrives!


thegreenhell

7,878 posts

179 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
PH headline said:
Six-month auto-extension is up; if you're test is due in August or later, best get one booked!
If you are test is due? Come on PH, you know someone pedantic twonk is going to point that out...

stevemcs

4,960 posts

53 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Drezza said:
Mine wouldn't currently pass an MOT for the EML light on the dash, taking full advantage of the additional 6 months.

My dad's car (an old Passat), the rear doors won't open, he's fuming now because he'll probably have to buy a new banger sooner than he thought lol
Passenger side footwell full of water ?

Drezza

564 posts

14 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
stevemcs said:
Passenger side footwell full of water ?
Not that I've noticed? They're deadlocked so had to cut the doorcards off last time...

Jayho

1,887 posts

130 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
stevemcs said:
Only for what goes through our workshop, maybe i should have said. At lot of our customers who's MOT's were due between Mar and June have booked in for the MOT and had them carried out, the ones that were due in july - we send out reminders 3 weeks before are still booking in for the MOT's. The ones that are taking the option of the extension are the type of customer who never usually passes first time in our experience. This may/may not be replicated across the uk but i get the feeling from talking to of garages locally its the same for them.
MOTs are a funny thing aren't they. Actual MOT isn't expensive at all. Around £40 depending where in the country you are or what test centre you use.

What's expensive are the repairs which are dictated by the repairs required to meet the standard. Just because there's a 6 month delay in requirement doesn't mean that these repairs aren't needed.

The extension was introduced by the government not to give people an excuse to not have repairs done, but to ensure that MOT station are not overwhelmed with people and cars coming through, making social distancing a lot harder and exposing mechanics to unnecessary risk.

Cold

10,005 posts

50 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Both of my cars are eligible for this scheme and I'm going to take advantage of it.
Due to some really bad planning a couple of years ago they have MOTs within a few weeks of each other so I'm going to use the scheme to split them up a bit from next year onwards.

stevemcs

4,960 posts

53 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Drezza said:
stevemcs said:
Passenger side footwell full of water ?
Not that I've noticed? They're deadlocked so had to cut the doorcards off last time...
The central locking module sits in a well in the passenger side footwell, fills up with water and then doors and windows do random things - assuming it’s the b5

AlexRS2782

6,278 posts

173 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
My Pug gained from the 6 month extension - not that i've been able to use the car anyway due to CV frown Although i did manage to give it a quick blast a couple of weeks back to ensure the brakes, etc, were ok having sat for a while. Still aiming to get the MOT done during the summer tbh as it would be stupid to drag it on to winter.

My Focus RS is due 4th August so obviously now misses out on an extension. Would have been nice to gain an extra month or two before getting the MOT done anyway but part of me expected that the end of July would probably be the cut off so not that much of an issue.

borat52

252 posts

168 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
1st August expiry date here smile

Given the chaos that's gone up up until now, I'll wait a few weeks for absolute clarity.

Little Pete

795 posts

54 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
stevemcs said:
Only for what goes through our workshop, maybe i should have said. At lot of our customers who's MOT's were due between Mar and June have booked in for the MOT and had them carried out, the ones that were due in july - we send out reminders 3 weeks before are still booking in for the MOT's. The ones that are taking the option of the extension are the type of customer who never usually passes first time in our experience. This may/may not be replicated across the uk but i get the feeling from talking to of garages locally its the same for them.
Agreed, same for us.

je777

316 posts

64 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
Could have just given everyone a four-month extension. That way there would be no deluge of MOTs later this year.
Would adding four months to everyone's MOT really have been so dangerous? Seeing as a year is an arbitrary date anyway, it seems unlikely.

CS Garth

2,518 posts

65 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
je777 said:
Could have just given everyone a four-month extension. That way there would be no deluge of MOTs later this year.
Would adding four months to everyone's MOT really have been so dangerous? Seeing as a year is an arbitrary date anyway, it seems unlikely.
Hindsight is a great luxury

Del50

5 posts

110 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
Whatever the merits of ending the MOT extension early in terms of road safety and for jobs in MOT test centres and garages it could be argued that this decision is really bad practice and a sly decision by the government.

In March 2020 when the 6 months extension was announced it was quite clear that it was for MOTs due for a year until the end of March 2021. Look at the original story on the gov.uk website on 25 March 2020
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-owners-...

I appreciate that the law for the extension was presumably produced flexibly enough so that it could be withdrawn at some point in the future before March 2021 and also that the actual extension didn't appear on MOT Due Dates until 7 days before an MOT was originally due to expire.

However the perception of the public is important to note here as the extension decision was widely reported by various news outlets at the time so people got the idea that the extension would be for 6 months for MOTs due for the next year. Then to just abolish the extension less than half way through the originally intened period with appparently no extension at all for MOTs due from 1st August 2020 creates confusion for the public and also distrust of information coming from government departments in the future.

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

25,664 posts

195 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
Del50 said:
confusion for the public and also distrust of information coming from government departments
I'm not really a political guy...but I think that ship sailed months ago

DoubleD

15,241 posts

68 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
2 sMoKiN bArReLs said:
Del50 said:
confusion for the public and also distrust of information coming from government departments
I'm not really a political guy...but I think that ship sailed months ago
Things are changing as the world around us changes

ro250

1,038 posts

17 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
Del50 said:
In March 2020 when the 6 months extension was announced it was quite clear that it was for MOTs due for a year until the end of March 2021. Look at the original story on the gov.uk website on 25 March 2020
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-owners-...
When they first announced the extension they said it would be for 12 months but once the legislation passed, 12 months was not included. They were obviously a bit hasty in announcing 12 months hence why it never made it into the legislation.

Del50

5 posts

110 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
ro250 said:
When they first announced the extension they said it would be for 12 months but once the legislation passed, 12 months was not included. They were obviously a bit hasty in announcing 12 months hence why it never made it into the legislation.
Thanks for the information; I didn't know the exact details of this. So the information announcing the 12 month extension was very hasty as an exact time period was never written into legislation. The government should really have amended their press releases about the extension around late March 2020 so it was made clear that the extension could be withdrawn at any time.

In some ways it was strange why a 6 month extension on all MOTs for the next year was ever suggested as very few people at any time expected the strict lockdown and temporary closing of some garages was going to last for 12 whole months. If there were worries about car safety then a blanket three month extension could have been put forward as others have suggested earlier on in this thread.


ro250

1,038 posts

17 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
Del50 said:
ro250 said:
When they first announced the extension they said it would be for 12 months but once the legislation passed, 12 months was not included. They were obviously a bit hasty in announcing 12 months hence why it never made it into the legislation.
Thanks for the information; I didn't know the exact details of this. So the information announcing the 12 month extension was very hasty as an exact time period was never written into legislation. The government should really have amended their press releases about the extension around late March 2020 so it was made clear that the extension could be withdrawn at any time.

In some ways it was strange why a 6 month extension on all MOTs for the next year was ever suggested as very few people at any time expected the strict lockdown and temporary closing of some garages was going to last for 12 whole months. If there were worries about car safety then a blanket three month extension could have been put forward as others have suggested earlier on in this thread.
Yes, it's almost like they tried to bury the 12 months thing...

I only know because my MOT expired on 29th March hence I was following developments very closely (and missed the extension by 1 day!).

Allanv

3,497 posts

146 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
I am booked for mine tomorrow even though I have the 6 month extension to the 10th December 2020.

But as a contractor I could end up anywhere, so would just like all things checked. It will get a service etc at the same time.

I do however have no idea what to do during the time as everywhere has queueing so can't even pop to one of the other places for lunch or a looky, so will just take sandwich and a bottle of water and my laptop.

Original date was the 10th June 2020 so I have waited 21 days.



Edited by Allanv on Tuesday 30th June 20:06