Anybody won one of those car lotteries?

Anybody won one of those car lotteries?

Author
Discussion

ch37

7,222 posts

186 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
The chap who won the 718 GT4 on DCG last month collected the car next day (so got the additional cash too, £5k I think), kept it for a few weeks then sold it.

They typically offer a guarenteed dealer trade price so if you're confident in offloading it yourself to a dealer after a few months you could in theory have a 'free few months of supercar ownership.

joropug

911 posts

154 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
That's what I would do to be honest, with anything I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting on the drive for whatever reason.

Weirdly I'd be happier with a Ferrari on the drive than an Golf R or range rover. Go figure.

Elite are my favourite website, they are definitely the most professional outfit and I'm attracted to watches of which they have plenty.

Level 7 Boss

163 posts

101 months

Monday 19th April
quotequote all
ch37 said:
I've been keeping a note this year as it's become a bit of a hobby during lockdown (my daily WFH lunchtime walk takes me past a post box).

The last 100 entries has cost me £90 exactly (stamps and postcards, bought a pack of 100 of each) and has given me a total value of just under £1200 of confirmed entries (i.e. received a ticket number by email/in my account). Financially an absolute no-brainer compared to paying for an entry if you can be bothered to put the effort in, minimum entry I bother with is £5 which comfortably offsets the occasional unprocessed entry now I know how the big 4 or 5 sites work.

7 Days have indeed been consistently the best, in fact they've never not processed an entry within 48hrs of posting at most. Not many high-cost comps worth posting an entry with them though, maybe one a week. Bang for buck DCG are best, bit flaky processing entries sometimes though and some sell out extremely quickly so you have to pick wisely.

Edited by ch37 on Monday 19th April 02:09
That’s interesting, I also indulge in postal and paid entries and find most companies incredibly flakey. Elite Competitions for example have never processed any of my postal entries.



Glenn63

1,340 posts

49 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
I wonder what they would do if all tickets were used up by free postal entries...

Its Just Adz

10,235 posts

174 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
I've been playing DGC a bit recently, haven't won but I enjoy it and enjoy watching the draws.

joropug

911 posts

154 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
Glenn63 said:
I wonder what they would do if all tickets were used up by free postal entries...
Reduce the cost per ticket and increase the number of tickets so that it isn't efficient to post in.

Lord_Howit_Hertz

1,711 posts

182 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
mikeswagon said:
I won a Nova SR last year from Redline. I still buy a ticket every couple of weeks, depending on who's got what up to win, but limiting myself to something that I could realistically use everyday, or something tasty to stash away and take out to shows.
Firstly congratulations!!!

A Couple of old school mates run Redline, they promote it a bit on facebook, and the cars are normally 'of our era' I remember the SR, it was the car I wanted when I passed my test so it stood out to me when the two lads posted it. Small world but another lad from our school delivered the car to you as well.

KingNothing

2,753 posts

118 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
I won about £7k worth of PC stuff over 5 draws last year, relatively low odds but I had max tickets, so could have lost quite a bit, have played a few more draws since then, but I'm still up overall.

ch37

7,222 posts

186 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
joropug said:
Reduce the cost per ticket and increase the number of tickets so that it isn't efficient to post in.
One of the 'luxury tech' sites did just this. Every ticket is now £1, so it's not worth posting an entry. I imagine their card processing costs take a hit though.

Pretty much all of them are still a bit dodgy by the letter of the rule though, the option for postal entries should be equally prominent (never is) and technically multiple entries should be allowed (only 7DaysPerformance do this).

Lord_Howit_Hertz said:
A Couple of old school mates run Redline, they promote it a bit on facebook, and the cars are normally 'of our era' I remember the SR, it was the car I wanted when I passed my test so it stood out to me when the two lads posted it. Small world but another lad from our school delivered the car to you as well.
They seem like a good bunch, they get some great cars in too. Aspire Competitions (mainly campers) had a winner in the same town last night, they couldn't get her on the phone so jumped in the car and went to her house (she was in her PJs so wouldn't come to the door, her elderly Mum did though!) They also guaranteed to deliver a camper on the same night a while back, fortunately the winner wasn't in the Highlands but if I remember correctly it was still a hell of a journey,they dropped the camper off at something like 2am!


Edited by ch37 on Tuesday 20th April 10:55

mikeswagon

230 posts

106 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
Lord_Howit_Hertz said:
mikeswagon said:
I won a Nova SR last year from Redline. I still buy a ticket every couple of weeks, depending on who's got what up to win, but limiting myself to something that I could realistically use everyday, or something tasty to stash away and take out to shows.
Firstly congratulations!!!

A Couple of old school mates run Redline, they promote it a bit on facebook, and the cars are normally 'of our era' I remember the SR, it was the car I wanted when I passed my test so it stood out to me when the two lads posted it. Small world but another lad from our school delivered the car to you as well.
Cheers, I think Redline were the first I'd entered, the Nova caught my eye as I owned a similar one around '02, Mike's a nice lad to deal with. They had another SR this weekend, with a 2l redtop conversion. Can't remember the drivers name, but a nice chatty lad, I sent him on his way back with a box of Brewdog.

The Spruce Goose

27,903 posts

160 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
i've won fall since playing last year. interestingly a guy i worked with 5 years ago won a car recognized his name. So at least seems legit. Elite competions did 500k i entered that, the stakes are getting pretty high really, with no much oversight.

joropug

911 posts

154 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
The Spruce Goose said:
i've won fall since playing last year. interestingly a guy i worked with 5 years ago won a car recognized his name. So at least seems legit. Elite competions did 500k i entered that, the stakes are getting pretty high really, with no much oversight.
I half watched that draw, it sounded like the winner BOUGHT 125 tickets at 15-20 quid each based on the comments.

There were also a number of people with 250 tickets each due to the mini draws.

Jimmy No Hands

3,709 posts

121 months

Tuesday 20th April
quotequote all
A lad I know won a Defender off one ticket (DCG, early days) then started his own raffle company a few months later. He recently also won a Range Rover. (from an agricultural raffle site that does the odd vehicle.) Last I looked it was still going, but even after an appearance on LadBible growth seems to have been stumped somewhat, I can only assume due to competition and or growing costs, although they only do sub £1k prizes mostly.

I know probably 4 or 5 now who have won something, 3 were early days of DCG (above Defender, a Harley, and a school mate a Focus RS)

RS got sold after a week, Harley also got sold for a cheaper alternative. No clue on the rest.

I play a lot, but only individual tickets really. Have never won a bean.


edit: This was also interesting at the time, and caused a stir.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/new...

Davyf

69 posts

22 months

Thursday 22nd April
quotequote all
About a month ago a work colleague of my daughter won a Vauxhall Monaro 5.7 Litre V8, he only bought one ticket at £11 in a N. Ireland competition, the big problem is he is only 23 so insurance might be unobtainable....

Big Rig

8,380 posts

152 months

Thursday 22nd April
quotequote all
joropug said:
I've now won 2 watches, some furniture and half a car through a joint venture with my brother.

I have however since these spent FAR too much so I'm winding back my spending and going cold turkey for a while.
Which competitions were the watches won with?

Cambs_Stuart

1,096 posts

49 months

Thursday 22nd April
quotequote all
joropug said:
There's a few good sites , but I have to say I spent far too much on them before I called it a day. I probably spent more in 3 months effectively gambling than I had in 3-4 years previous.

I made an odds calculator to compare the sites, as some have low ticket price but lots of tickets, some have less tickets but a more expensive ticket cost.

To compare them you need to compare 2 things, firstly how many £ does it cost you to achieve 1/1000 odds.

I.e. 1000 tickets £10 a ticket , 1/1000 costs you £10
I.e. 500 tickets £25 a ticket , 1/1000 costs you £12.50

Second thing to compare is what the reward is per £ invested, I deduct 30 percent on the total ticket revenue to get an idea.

This is purely to compare two sites that might have similar cars. I told myself if both were 'green' in my chart below i'd buy some tickets. But it quickly turned into buying tickets for nearly everything.

I would note that the odds are much worse since lockdown on dreamcar. They are doing lower ticket price and larger ticket numbers, it seems to sell them out way quicker and it's no where near as good.

The thing that stopped me buying them is one bloke who won TWO BMW M4s and £3k cash within a month.

The people winning are on the whole the ones spending an absolute fortune on every draw. You get the list of entrants and see people with 100s worth of tickets. I know it doesn't make it any easier to win or harder, but I'd prefer it if it was limited to 1 per person so it feels more social/ everyone's in with a chance.



Edited by joropug on Monday 4th May 07:25


Edited by joropug on Monday 4th May 07:27
Good work!

rotor49

11 posts

45 months

Thursday 22nd April
quotequote all
Won a Focus RS for one month on an Autocar comp.l think it was their press car but this was in the 80's.Awesome car then.( the one Clarkson complained about tramlining). Anyway lent it around my friends who all ragged it. Kind of nice to share it around as l knew it was going back in a month. The day came and it went l think about 5 of us waved it bye.

Ructions

4,520 posts

86 months

Thursday 22nd April
quotequote all
rotor49 said:
Won a Focus RS for one month on an Autocar comp.l think it was their press car but this was in the 80's.Awesome car then.( the one Clarkson complained about tramlining). Anyway lent it around my friends who all ragged it. Kind of nice to share it around as l knew it was going back in a month. The day came and it went l think about 5 of us waved it bye.
You won an RS Focus in the 1980s?

rotor49

11 posts

45 months

Friday 23rd April
quotequote all
Sorry 90's.

JoPo1

366 posts

122 months

Friday 23rd April
quotequote all
I won a Lamborghini Aventador and 5k cash for £9.99.