Anybody won one of those car lotteries?

Anybody won one of those car lotteries?

Author
Discussion

SimonTheSailor

10,517 posts

193 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
ch37 said:
Are you following their new T&Cs (account number and email at the top of the entry)? Since the site redesign they've processed all but one of mine, but they always do it fairly last minute, an hour or two before the draw, regardless of how early you get the entry in. Thankfully they almost never sell out until the last hour anyway.
Haven't done any for the last for months, just wasn't worth it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one sending it postal entries ! Thought I was getting away with a lot !!

Off to write some more postcards.....

Turkish91

607 posts

167 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all


I dont think he is the same guy as the fraudster but there isn’t half a likeness.

I was 4 tickets away from winning this, gutted to see it lasted the grand total of 12hrs and looked to be a really tidy IX with next to no mods which is a rare thing nowadays.

SimonTheSailor

10,517 posts

193 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
But he's got the same name hasn't he ?

ETA - yes, has the same name. Maybe he's lost a bit of weight due to spending time inside ?

Edited by SimonTheSailor on Thursday 29th April 10:41

Turkish91

607 posts

167 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
SimonTheSailor said:
But he's got the same name hasn't he ?

ETA - yes, has the same name. Maybe he's lost a bit of weight due to spending time inside ?

Edited by SimonTheSailor on Thursday 29th April 10:41
The Spruce Goose said:
Yeah same name but the biggest thing for me is the ear shape looks very different. Plus the fraudster guy has that air of "Instagram influencer" about his dress sense and appearance, whereas the Evo winner just looks like your average chav from the estate. A few people commented on the DCG post who seemingly know him and say it's not the same lad... Who knows

kharma45

115 posts

38 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
SimonTheSailor said:
Haven't done any for the last for months, just wasn't worth it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one sending it postal entries ! Thought I was getting away with a lot !!

Off to write some more postcards.....
I haven't done any for a while as it was a just a lot of heavily modified crap appearing that couldn't be flogged to/by a dealer. They do seem to be the way to get rid of your 'Stage 3 Motech Stance M140i' and similar.

ch37

7,242 posts

186 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
kharma45 said:
I haven't done any for a while as it was a just a lot of heavily modified crap appearing that couldn't be flogged to/by a dealer. They do seem to be the way to get rid of your 'Stage 3 Motech Stance M140i' and similar.
Absolutely this, I've no doubt that the sites are getting some very good deals on the cars they are buying in as many are ones that could only be sold privately (Maxton bodykit all round, decat, Stage 3 etc) and worth significantly less than the money spent on them.

I only enter ones that are either a) a car I'd love to own and could afford to run, or b) that can be sold to a dealer or binned off to WBAC the next day, or c) have a cash alternative.

Redline (80s and 90s stuff) and Rev Comps (typically dealer sourced) are pretty reliable in that respect. Also Aspire Competitions for their constant stream of VW Camper conversions.

The Spruce Goose

27,944 posts

160 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
Turkish91 said:
Yeah same name but the biggest thing for me is the ear shape looks very different. Plus the fraudster guy has that air of "Instagram influencer" about his dress sense and appearance, whereas the Evo winner just looks like your average chav from the estate. A few people commented on the DCG post who seemingly know him and say it's not the same lad... Who knows
it is Wales so there is probably a small gene pool.

richiekuk

33 posts

172 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
Myself and a friend had a few beers and decided to both buy tickets for an M5, on Dream car giveaways.

Obviously our tickets were sequential. 3 days later a text from him "I've won the M5". So my ticket was obviously 1 number away.

I don't buy any more tickets.

He sold it 2 weeks later for £10k less than market value.

Ilovejapcrap

3,045 posts

77 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
Lad at work won 10k on one via Facebook. Money was in his bank within a day of winning.

SimonTheSailor

10,517 posts

193 months

Thursday 29th April
quotequote all
The Spruce Goose said:
it is Wales so there is probably a small gene pool.
Looks like the same name but different age so different person.

Apologies to the person involved.

Looks like he's had lots of harassment already because of the crash, let alone being linked with this other dude.

GhostWKD

284 posts

178 months

Tuesday 4th May
quotequote all
Had a second win from one of these facebook competition sites a couple of weeks ago. First win was with 7days late last year where a competition was undersold with guaranteed draw so got a couple of tickets and won a motorbike and took a cash alternative. Then a few weeks ago I won a 208 GTi off of DCG.

I've put it up for sale already but mainly as an exercise of if it sells for what I've listed it for I'll let it go, otherwise I'll keep it a bit longer smile For what they offered as a cash alternative I was much happier to take the car (think the cash alternative was from a dealer who probably didn't like the mods on the car)

Very surreal having a chap come by with it on a trailer, given the keys, quick photo op and the guy is then off on his way. Being super critical it's only got a couple of months MOT on it (and a decat fitted) but that's pretty much all I can fault on the car it's otherwise incredibly clean and well presented and drives really well.

Pretty chuffed, can't imagine what it must be like winning one of the supercars or something.

Edited by GhostWKD on Tuesday 4th May 13:48

joropug

934 posts

154 months

Tuesday 4th May
quotequote all
GhostWKD said:
Had a second win from one of these facebook competition sites a couple of weeks ago. First win was with 7days late last year where a competition was undersold with guaranteed draw so got a couple of tickets and won a motorbike and took a cash alternative. Then a few weeks ago I won a 208 GTi off of DCG.

I've put it up for sale already but mainly as an exercise of if it sells for what I've listed it for I'll let it go, otherwise I'll keep it a bit longer smile For what they offered as a cash alternative I was much happier to take the car (think the cash alternative was from a dealer who probably didn't like the mods on the car)

Very surreal having a chap come by with it on a trailer, given the keys, quick photo op and the guy is then off on his way. Being super critical it's only got a couple of months MOT on it (and a decat fitted) but that's pretty much all I can fault on the car it's otherwise incredibly clean and well presented and drives really well.

Pretty chuffed, can't imagine what it must be like winning one of the supercars or something.

Edited by GhostWKD on Tuesday 4th May 13:48
I had a punt on that looked quite a fun car , congrats !

Fady

87 posts

169 months

Tuesday 4th May
quotequote all
richiekuk said:
Myself and a friend had a few beers and decided to both buy tickets for an M5, on Dream car giveaways.

Obviously our tickets were sequential. 3 days later a text from him "I've won the M5". So my ticket was obviously 1 number away.

I don't buy any more tickets.

He sold it 2 weeks later for £10k less than market value.
Don't think it would be 'obvious' that your tickets would be sequential. From what I have seen, they assign them at random. So if you buy 3 ticket say, the numbers generally will not be sequential.

AJB88

7,519 posts

136 months

Tuesday 4th May
quotequote all
Are DCG considered the best one? I had a few tickets last year on stuff but haven't bothered since, but keep seeing these actual stories of people winning is a confidence boost.

ch37

7,242 posts

186 months

Tuesday 4th May
quotequote all
AJB88 said:
Are DCG considered the best one? I had a few tickets last year on stuff but haven't bothered since, but keep seeing these actual stories of people winning is a confidence boost.
DCG
7 Days Performance
Rev Comps
Redline Competitions
Aspire Competitions (Camper Vans)

In terms of actual prizes to actual winners none of those can be faulted in my opinion. Redline focus on one or two classics per week but have a solid track record, the other 4 give away up to 10 vehicles per week (each!), the business models make perfect sense, it would be significantly more difficult for them to squirrel prizes away than just hand them out legitimately (I think DCG have done over 1000 cars now).

tommy1973s

743 posts

136 months

Tuesday 4th May
quotequote all
berlintaxi said:
Quite a few on here have won BOTB,
I don't believe it : )

AJB88

7,519 posts

136 months

Tuesday 4th May
quotequote all
I've banged a few in for DCG for the Rolex Hulk, don't really want a Hulk just want a normal black Submariner but still.

200Plus Club

8,722 posts

243 months

Wednesday 5th May
quotequote all
I have the occasional few tickets on ones for cars of interest but not the BOTB version which just seems a dubious method of picking winners.

The Spruce Goose

27,944 posts

160 months

Wednesday 5th May
quotequote all
I love it how the winners make it look so easy. Well I've been playing for over a year and still won fall.

eltax91

8,950 posts

171 months

Wednesday 5th May
quotequote all
The Spruce Goose said:
I love it how the winners make it look so easy. Well I've been playing for over a year and still won fall.
hehe been playing for some time myself too. Lockdown brought out the worst in me, I look at my bank statement and think ‘no way I bought that many tickets?!’

Must have the longing to get out in the road. biggrin