Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 16]

Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 16]

Author
Discussion

tobinen

6,169 posts

99 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
I am surprised it does not have cruise control

Sterillium

21,110 posts

179 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
nickod said:
Tex for Faldo! Tight Git
320 not 500 for Faldo Why!?

Bonefish Blues

15,379 posts

177 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
Krikkit said:
nickod said:
Tex for Faldo! Tight Git
Seems like a sensible choice if it looks so good at 197k miles... Bet it was a spendy car when new though.
What was the differential in price? Wasn't 'tex an option too?

Krikkit

18,250 posts

135 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
Bonefish Blues said:
What was the differential in price? Wasn't 'tex an option too?
Someone (r129 I know you have some literature stashed away) will have the right list for the year, but this one's a little earlier and for a 280/300E :



£154 for MBTex, £1637 for leather.

tobinen

6,169 posts

99 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
Bloody hell - £1,300 for velour!

olly755

2,601 posts

116 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
I’m sure I’ve read that Faldo has a Jagger-esque reputation for being rather careful when it comes to parting with it.

Sterillium

21,110 posts

179 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all

One day I'm going to find a grey or silver W124 with black, brown or burgundy leather / mbtex. which I will then keep forever.

SpeckledJim

21,530 posts

207 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
olly755 said:
I’m sure I’ve read that Faldo has a Jagger-esque reputation for being rather careful when it comes to parting with it.
This might have also coincided with the expensive job of having the bodywork on his Porsche 959 put right after his jilted ex wife set-about it with a pitching wedge!

tobinen

6,169 posts

99 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
Oh yes, I forgot about that. On the subject of 959s, didn't Boris Becker have one at some silly tender age (after he'd won Wimbledon) and prang it?

freecom2

41 posts

5 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
The rising temperature has revealed a fault with the W124 - the air conditioning only seems to work when it is cool, slightly defeating the point of air conditioning! Anyone experienced this before; in depth research (Google) suggests it could be the expansion valve?

Krikkit

18,250 posts

135 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
tobinen said:
Oh yes, I forgot about that. On the subject of 959s, didn't Boris Becker have one at some silly tender age (after he'd won Wimbledon) and prang it?
He was 19 when he bought it if memory serves. Never heard about him pranging it though. smile

olly755

2,601 posts

116 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
The barge lord giveth and the barge lord taketh away. One the one hand, the gearbox fault on the LS460 was a simple enough pressure sensor. The car is now back to full health, it's now had two transmission oil changes in as many months, and the cost was only mildly alarming.

On the other, the cloudy, oxidised paint on bonnet and roof that I painstakingly took aeons (an hour) to polish to a high gloss in the last volume is now turning milky again!

SpeckledJim

21,530 posts

207 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
Krikkit said:
tobinen said:
Oh yes, I forgot about that. On the subject of 959s, didn't Boris Becker have one at some silly tender age (after he'd won Wimbledon) and prang it?
He was 19 when he bought it if memory serves. Never heard about him pranging it though. smile
Not quite as interesting, but I think Andy Murray’s first car was a Ferrari 360.

CAPP0

16,219 posts

157 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
stickleback123 said:
728 days later said:
I’ve had my eye on this one on AT, low owners, very good mot history with an oil leak sorted last year

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201...
It seems the easiest way to avoid engine issues with these is to get one with the Jaguar petrol engine and avoid the BMW V8s
The n/a AJV8 Jag engine in the FFRR is something of a rarity. I had one and put something like 70k miles on it with no engine issues at all (and very very few other issues to be fair). They only installed it from 2006, and later that year they released the first TDV8 and with the endorsement at the time of a certain Mr Clarkson, everyone bought those instead. The Superchargeds are also Jag engines, both the 4.2 and the 5.0, but I don't think those are quite in thread yet.

ian316

1,510 posts

59 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
tobinen said:
Bloody hell - £1,300 for velour!
Well that explains why a velour interior is a bloody unicorn!!!

webstercivet

101 posts

28 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
SpeckledJim said:
Krikkit said:
tobinen said:
Oh yes, I forgot about that. On the subject of 959s, didn't Boris Becker have one at some silly tender age (after he'd won Wimbledon) and prang it?
He was 19 when he bought it if memory serves. Never heard about him pranging it though. smile
Not quite as interesting, but I think Andy Murray’s first car was a Ferrari 360.
Yep (430). Lasted a few weeks before realising they're a bit silly, and switched back to his Polo.

stickleback123

5,827 posts

143 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
CAPP0 said:
The n/a AJV8 Jag engine in the FFRR is something of a rarity. I had one and put something like 70k miles on it with no engine issues at all (and very very few other issues to be fair). They only installed it from 2006, and later that year they released the first TDV8 and with the endorsement at the time of a certain Mr Clarkson, everyone bought those instead. The Superchargeds are also Jag engines, both the 4.2 and the 5.0, but I don't think those are quite in thread yet.
Mid sized and large petrols of all sorts all but vanished from the UK from 2006, presumably due to the changes in taxation. I drove a 2004 Disco 3 with the AJV8 and it was a ripsnorting fireball compared to the 2.7d, because you ended up working it fairly hard it made a superb noise, but oh my word did it drink. I think I was mid teens over the course of a fortnight.

Until the V8 diesel came out you'd have to be a very leisurely driver indeed to have bought a diesel LR product and been satisfied, particularly the totally inadequate TD6 Range Rover with all of 80bhp/ton or so. The 700NM from 1500RPM 4.4 V8 diesel was amazing though, and I was very disappointed it never made it into the XJ.

Edited by stickleback123 on Friday 22 May 19:25

nickod

342 posts

114 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
Sterillium said:
One day I'm going to find a grey or silver W124 with black, brown or burgundy leather / mbtex. which I will then keep forever.
That light metallic green with burgundy or brown leather pre facelift 320 estate ( or rather between facelift). I'd sell all my cars and just run that - if it existed - which it doesn't.

Macron

4,786 posts

120 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
The 4.2S L322 has been firmly available in thread for nearly a year. High milers like this 160k job are £4k.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2020...

There are only a few atm because let's be fair, it's odd out there.

Here is one at 5400 and that's just tickled a ton.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2020...

I'd expect to see a good dozen in thread in precedented times. ETA- with strong spec and low/ sensible miles I mean.

Edited by Macron on Friday 22 May 19:39

JOB2.5-16

338 posts

26 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
nickod said:
Sterillium said:
One day I'm going to find a grey or silver W124 with black, brown or burgundy leather / mbtex. which I will then keep forever.
That light metallic green with burgundy or brown leather pre facelift 320 estate ( or rather between facelift). I'd sell all my cars and just run that - if it existed - which it doesn't.
'88 Pine Green 300TD Auto with all the spec and date cloth for me please.