Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 16]

Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 16]

Author
Discussion

stickleback123

5,827 posts

143 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
Macron said:
The 4.2S L322 has been firmly available in thread for nearly a year. High milers like this 160k job are £4k.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2020...

There are only a few atm because let's be fair, it's odd out there.

Here is one at 5400 and that's just tickled a ton.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2020...

I'd expect to see a good dozen in thread in precedented times. ETA- with strong spec and low/ sensible miles I mean.

Edited by Macron on Friday 22 May 19:39
I've just been shopping and even 4.4 V8d and 5.0 SC models are available for just over twice thread. I've fallen into the old man trap of thinking these are "nearly new" models when they are in fact a decade old and to any sane person fit for nothing but scrapping.

I think if I were going to get a supercharged 5 litre Jaguar engine I'd probably want it in an XJ, but I've never owned a RR and my interest is piqued.

JeremyH5

482 posts

89 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
olly755 said:
The barge lord giveth and the barge lord taketh away. One the one hand, the gearbox fault on the LS460 was a simple enough pressure sensor. The car is now back to full health, it's now had two transmission oil changes in as many months, and the cost was only mildly alarming.

On the other, the cloudy, oxidised paint on bonnet and roof that I painstakingly took aeons (an hour) to polish to a high gloss in the last volume is now turning milky again!
Got to be worth some paint!

Macron

4,786 posts

120 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
There are plenty of sellers still thinking their 06, fat tax 140k 4.2 vogue is worth 7995. WBAC would start at 3800 for them pre chipping.

bolidemichael

3,007 posts

155 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
I'm so poor with handle recognition... who is the chap on here that owns an integrale and a desirable S124 with leather? THAT is one nicely specced 124.

r129sl

8,422 posts

157 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
Krikkit said:
Bonefish Blues said:
What was the differential in price? Wasn't 'tex an option too?
Someone (r129 I know you have some literature stashed away) will have the right list for the year, but this one's a little earlier and for a 280/300E :



£154 for MBTex, £1637 for leather.
Tight would have been a Sierra LX Estate.

List for the E320 Estate was £36,330.00 to which Nick added:
  • Aircon (with sunroof delete) at £1,598.28
  • 5-speed auto at £764.15
  • Lecky driver's seat at £534.56
  • MB Tex at £171.86
  • Metallic paint at £722.79
  • 7 seats at £781.40
  • Sportline suspension at £1,861.88
  • Sportline wheel at £175.63
  • Antenna and front speakers at £218.54
  • Rear speakers at £201.40
There are a few other things it might have had. I can't tell whether it had illuminated vanity mirrors, OTG (I think not), factory head unit, CD-changer, dust filter, exit lights in doors (looks possible).

It's a shed, that car.





harrykul

2,515 posts

180 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
bolidemichael said:
I'm so poor with handle recognition... who is the chap on here that owns an integrale and a desirable S124 with leather? THAT is one nicely specced 124.
You're thinking or reijn. He's also got a bornite 300td. A man of impeccable taste!

Macron

4,786 posts

120 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
bolidemichael said:
Apologies for the unwarranted distress caused by my (accidentally well-aimed) pot-shot, CdG; it was my intention to be facetious and perhaps prompt a recollection of which threadiste went to see the SL before Jack. I'm surprised that Macron hasn't told us, as of yet.
Why are you in such a feisty mood?!?

I know it's freaky Friday on apparently a 3-day weekend, although I'm not sure anyone thinks that matters any more, but get yourself a beer and go and virtually browse some once-expensive metal. Works wonders I tell thee!

r129sl

8,422 posts

157 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
JOB2.5-16 said:
nickod said:
Sterillium said:
One day I'm going to find a grey or silver W124 with black, brown or burgundy leather / mbtex. which I will then keep forever.
That light metallic green with burgundy or brown leather pre facelift 320 estate ( or rather between facelift). I'd sell all my cars and just run that - if it existed - which it doesn't.
'88 Pine Green 300TD Auto with all the spec and date cloth for me please.
I don't disagree, though a 300 TE 4-Matic of the same gen 1 build would be nice. My fantasy 300 TD would have to be a solid colour, perhaps 690 Light Ochre (very early cars only) or 815 Agate Green with velour upholstery in either Light Brown, Medium Red, Brazil or Dark Green. Spec? Everything except electric windows, alloy wheels and anything sporty. It would have to be Zebrano wood, too.




SlowV6

336 posts

93 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
stickleback123 said:
I've just been shopping and even 4.4 V8d and 5.0 SC models are available for just over twice thread. I've fallen into the old man trap of thinking these are "nearly new" models when they are in fact a decade old and to any sane person fit for nothing but scrapping.

I think if I were going to get a supercharged 5 litre Jaguar engine I'd probably want it in an XJ, but I've never owned a RR and my interest is piqued.
My best mate has an 11 plate 5.0SC L322 with a fairly massive spec including heated and cooled seats all round etc etc. I have been driven in it, which makes me feel seasick, and have also driven it. It was fast in a straight line and certainly a mighty engine but otherwise just a high, wallowy, massive thing. To be honest I just don't get the RR love. I massively preferred his previous E60 545i, which he sold before any oil leaks started before you ask!

I would much prefer an XJ 5.0SC.

JOB2.5-16

338 posts

26 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
r129sl said:
JOB2.5-16 said:
nickod said:
Sterillium said:
One day I'm going to find a grey or silver W124 with black, brown or burgundy leather / mbtex. which I will then keep forever.
That light metallic green with burgundy or brown leather pre facelift 320 estate ( or rather between facelift). I'd sell all my cars and just run that - if it existed - which it doesn't.
'88 Pine Green 300TD Auto with all the spec and date cloth for me please.
I don't disagree, though a 300 TE 4-Matic of the same gen 1 build would be nice. My fantasy 300 TD would have to be a solid colour, perhaps 690 Light Ochre (very early cars only) or 815 Agate Green with velour upholstery in either Light Brown, Medium Red, Brazil or Dark Green. Spec? Everything except electric windows, alloy wheels and anything sporty. It would have to be Zebrano wood, too.



I very nearly put all the toys minus electric windows, but in reality I think that would be a bore. My first W201 (744 with grey MB Tex) had 4 keep fit windows, and while I appreciated their superb function it was a little annoying to have to reach over to open the passenger window.

4Matic 1 (up to September 1990 production) is hydraulically controlled and even more floored than in later cars, with the self destructing transfer boxes and all sorts of highly specific bork. To be completely honest, based on the 18 months of total struggle I have witnessed one of my mates go through, I’d never buy one. I think it would be cheaper to buy a new G63 to tow your RWD S124 out than sort one of those things properly. So many vital parts NLA they’re pretty much un-restorable.

I once owned an Agate Green with green cloth 190, it was the worst Merc I’ve ever had but the colour was Uber cool. Pueblo beige is up there for an S124, with henna red MB Tex maybe. Solid colours are a good shout for sure. The fact that mine is silver is a slight pain in my side but you can’t have it all.


Edited by JOB2.5-16 on Friday 22 May 22:34


Edited by JOB2.5-16 on Friday 22 May 22:35

rejn

1,695 posts

176 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
harrykul said:
bolidemichael said:
I'm so poor with handle recognition... who is the chap on here that owns an integrale and a desirable S124 with leather? THAT is one nicely specced 124.
You're thinking or reijn. He's also got a bornite 300td. A man of impeccable taste!
wavey


nickod

342 posts

114 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
I always thought 190’s look better in pueblo than 124’s having seen it on a saloon. Then I saw this ( although it looks a bit shiny for pueblo)

bolidemichael

3,007 posts

155 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
Macron said:
bolidemichael said:
Apologies for the unwarranted distress caused by my (accidentally well-aimed) pot-shot, CdG; it was my intention to be facetious and perhaps prompt a recollection of which threadiste went to see the SL before Jack. I'm surprised that Macron hasn't told us, as of yet.
Why are you in such a feisty mood?!?

I know it's freaky Friday on apparently a 3-day weekend, although I'm not sure anyone thinks that matters any more, but get yourself a beer and go and virtually browse some once-expensive metal. Works wonders I tell thee!
At this juncture, it's best to lean on the words of Edmund Blackadder... "I can't, not just like that; I'm a complicated person you see [Macron]; sometimes I'm nice and sometimes, I'm nasty..."



I'm just off to C&C now getmecoat
























...I believe I left my umbrella?

21st Century Man

32,924 posts

202 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
...stuck in somebody's ribs.

bolidemichael

3,007 posts

155 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
rejn said:
harrykul said:
bolidemichael said:
I'm so poor with handle recognition... who is the chap on here that owns an integrale and a desirable S124 with leather? THAT is one nicely specced 124.
You're thinking or reijn. He's also got a bornite 300td. A man of impeccable taste!
wavey
Blimey, no wonder I forgot; there's a J stuck in the middle! smile

Macron

4,786 posts

120 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
0-60 in 9.8 is a bit of a surprise for a 2.8 V6, presumably the diesel wasn't that far off, but inspired by shed of the week, here's a 2k Passat in bright blue.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2020...

olly755

2,601 posts

116 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
JOB2.5-16 said:
The fact that mine is silver is a slight pain in my side but you can’t have it all.
Funny, I always see silver as a proper colour for older Benzes, redolent of Silver Arrows, Moss/Jenks, early C126’s on wheeltrims and export zoll plates, etc.

My lottery winning, Singer-esque resto mod S124 would be silver, pre Sacco, blue plaid/half leather, 500e running gear and steelies under wheeltrims.

bolidemichael

3,007 posts

155 months

Friday 22nd May
quotequote all
21st Century Man said:
...stuck in somebody's ribs.
Impeccable timing

clap

thepeoplespal

1,344 posts

231 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
LetsTryAgain said:
Very nice.
But anyone referring to all 4 x 4's as a "Jeep" puts me off.
3 times is unforgivable.

Edited by LetsTryAgain on Friday 22 May 14:16
Those of a certain age in Norn Iron call all 4x4s a jeep, presumably related to 300+k yanks stationed there during WW2 driving them and it leaving an impression.

That's also sitting on tarmac (NI version of an Englishman's gravel drive) and it is at a stand alone bungalow, which is a positive, if buying in the Province.

josh00mac

230 posts

62 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
Discuss