Ask a car salesman anything...anything at all (Vol. 2).

Ask a car salesman anything...anything at all (Vol. 2).

Author
Discussion

Scrump

Original Poster:

12,407 posts

121 months

Saturday 9th May 2020
quotequote all

Mr MXT

7,416 posts

246 months

Saturday 9th May 2020
quotequote all
Do you honestly like those pointy shoes?

JuniorD

8,098 posts

186 months

Saturday 9th May 2020
quotequote all
Mr MXT said:
Do you honestly like those pointy shoes?
Haha! The sales people in Belfast Audi are like the Leningrad cowboys

Osinjak

3,390 posts

84 months

Saturday 9th May 2020
quotequote all
Mr MXT said:
Do you honestly like those pointy shoes?
Mexman's curl up at the front.

itcaptainslow

2,869 posts

99 months

Saturday 9th May 2020
quotequote all
Mr MXT said:
Do you honestly like those pointy shoes?
They're a pain to drive in and lethal on a wet workshop floor!

Butter Face

23,439 posts

123 months

Saturday 9th May 2020
quotequote all
I wear loafers.

Wooda80

1,743 posts

38 months

Saturday 9th May 2020
quotequote all
Style aside, some salesmen I've worked with have had the most appaling shoes: scuffed, or with holey of flapping soles. At least the young ones don't wear white socks any more!

@Terminator X: Still valuing part exchanges based on what similar cars are retailing at today. If we are too hard on them then we won't sell the ones we've currently got.

But even in a normal year we value September part exchanges knowing that the October - December period has typically reduced demand for used cars and therefore sees a reduction in sales prices. As with so many things it's a balancing act.

Fast Bug

9,148 posts

124 months

Saturday 9th May 2020
quotequote all
Mr MXT said:
Do you honestly like those pointy shoes?
I wear brown shoes as I work in fleet. They're not pointy though laugh

HTP99

17,849 posts

103 months

Saturday 9th May 2020
quotequote all
I've been in on Sunday's wearing my pink Converse All Stars and shorts.

Blakewater

3,639 posts

120 months

Sunday 10th May 2020
quotequote all
itcaptainslow said:
Mr MXT said:
Do you honestly like those pointy shoes?
They're a pain to drive in and lethal on a wet workshop floor!
I remember the Jaguar dealership I did work experience in many years ago having not only a dangerously slippy workshop floor, but a lethally slippy tiled showroom floor.

Does anyone remember the advert with Griff Rhys-Jones advertising Vauxhall's online buying site in 1999?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3BJxns6DPc

Over 20 years later and you can still buy a Vauxhall online, though I think there's limited choice. It's certainly never rocked the car buying world though.

In consideration of Grant Schapps briefing today about encouraging cycling and walking, is there any evidence yet that people's fear of commuting by public transport is driving them towards buying cars?

Wooda80

1,743 posts

38 months

Sunday 10th May 2020
quotequote all
Blakewater said:
I remember the Jaguar dealership I did work experience in many years ago having not only a dangerously slippy workshop floor, but a lethally slippy tiled showroom floor.

In consideration of Grant Schapps briefing today about encouraging cycling and walking, is there any evidence yet that people's fear of commuting by public transport is driving them towards buying cars?
Would you really anticipate large numbers of people buying cars for that reason?

Those people most likely to move away from public transport first will be those who already have a car at home but didn't previously use it to commute, or the existing car user giving another member of their household a lift to work before going to work themselves,effectively doubling the number of journeys that that car makes.

A service manager once told me that workshop floors were like that to keep the salesmen out. He wasn't kidding either!

@HTP99 - Were you still out from the night before? smile

cootuk

804 posts

86 months

Sunday 10th May 2020
quotequote all
If public transport has to socially distance then that's a massively reduced capacity, and possibly the final straw for some commuters who will switch back to a car.

golfer19

1,384 posts

96 months

Sunday 10th May 2020
quotequote all
HTP99 said:
I've been in on Sunday's wearing my pink Converse All Stars and shorts.
Need pics biggrin

spikeyhead

12,194 posts

160 months

Sunday 10th May 2020
quotequote all
golfer19 said:
HTP99 said:
I've been in on Sunday's wearing my pink Converse All Stars and shorts.
Need pics biggrin
Publishing pics of a PH car salesman in pink shoes and shorts must, surely, be illegal.

Barchettaman

4,135 posts

95 months

Sunday 10th May 2020
quotequote all
cootuk said:
If public transport has to socially distance then that's a massively reduced capacity, and possibly the final straw for some commuters who will switch back to a car.
Or (hopefully) e-bikes, for those with commutes of up to 10 miles each way.

They’re bloody amazing.

loskie

3,097 posts

83 months

Sunday 10th May 2020
quotequote all
as usual HM Govs transport policy forgets or ignores people living and working in rural and less metropolitan areas.

Blakewater

3,639 posts

120 months

Sunday 10th May 2020
quotequote all
Wooda80 said:
Blakewater said:
I remember the Jaguar dealership I did work experience in many years ago having not only a dangerously slippy workshop floor, but a lethally slippy tiled showroom floor.

In consideration of Grant Schapps briefing today about encouraging cycling and walking, is there any evidence yet that people's fear of commuting by public transport is driving them towards buying cars?
Would you really anticipate large numbers of people buying cars for that reason?

Those people most likely to move away from public transport first will be those who already have a car at home but didn't previously use it to commute, or the existing car user giving another member of their household a lift to work before going to work themselves,effectively doubling the number of journeys that that car makes.
Chris Boardman was getting himself and his fans riled up on Twitter about an Autotrader article suggesting that the UK public value car ownership as they turn away from public transport.

https://plc.autotrader.co.uk/press-centre/news-hub...



Brooksay

233 posts

33 months

Sunday 10th May 2020
quotequote all
Slow down chaps, I'm only on page 78 of the previous volume!

minghis

1,505 posts

214 months

Sunday 10th May 2020
quotequote all
Question - I'm seeing that my local BMW dealer are stating admin fees are to be added to used car sale prices, is this something that is going to become the norm now even for main, franchised dealers?


irish boy

2,719 posts

199 months

Monday 11th May 2020
quotequote all
minghis said:
Question - I'm seeing that my local BMW dealer are stating admin fees are to be added to used car sale prices, is this something that is going to become the norm now even for main, franchised dealers?
Hope not. That’s a hateful policy.