Real Good Number Plates Vol. 6

Real Good Number Plates Vol. 6

Author
Discussion

Scrump

Original Poster:

14,325 posts

124 months

Monday 15th June 2020
quotequote all

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

26,507 posts

201 months

Monday 15th June 2020
quotequote all
Here's to another 500 pages biggrin

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

26,507 posts

201 months

Monday 15th June 2020
quotequote all
Thread has been running since Friday 24th September 2004.

CRA1G

4,822 posts

161 months

Monday 15th June 2020
quotequote all
1 MB MB 2 and MB 6 are owned by a company in Uxbridge. MB 1 used to be owned by Max Bygraves now owned by a 5.3 million lottery winner.nerd

Skodapondy

37 posts

14 months

Monday 15th June 2020
quotequote all
Spotted TES 14 A on a Model D

Outside the butty shop local to work two vans with TA 58 TY* on one of them (Edit TA 03 STY the other)

Spotted on the Cheshire Fire and Rescue estate car V 70 LVO

Edited by Skodapondy on Saturday 11th July 15:53

Triple Six

857 posts

88 months

Monday 15th June 2020
quotequote all
Yankee Romeo said:
CRA1G said:
Triple Six said:
The owner is a serial car & plate nut with 1 MB, 2 MB & 3 MB on a Veyron, Chiron and LaFerrari!
1 MB is original issue but 2 MB was £8500 match 91 and 3 MB £7500 Sep 92 + VAT Etc.
Triple Six, where is this owner based?

M3DGE, need help on this one. Cannot find when this 1 MB was issued. I'm looking at page 92 in "The bible" - Chester County Council.
South Wales

CRA1G said:
1 MB MB 2 and MB 6 are owned by a company in Uxbridge. MB 1 used to be owned by Max Bygraves now owned by a 5.3 million lottery winner.nerd
1 MB no longer belongs to them, unless it is on loan to a private individual. It sits on a very special Veyron, which previously wore 2 MB IIRC.

dazzalse

551 posts

145 months

Monday 15th June 2020
quotequote all
One I spotted today


M3DGE

1,967 posts

130 months

Tuesday 16th June 2020
quotequote all
Triple Six said:
Yankee Romeo said:
CRA1G said:
Triple Six said:
The owner is a serial car & plate nut with 1 MB, 2 MB & 3 MB on a Veyron, Chiron and LaFerrari!
1 MB is original issue but 2 MB was £8500 match 91 and 3 MB £7500 Sep 92 + VAT Etc.
Triple Six, where is this owner based?

M3DGE, need help on this one. Cannot find when this 1 MB was issued. I'm looking at page 92 in "The bible" - Chester County Council.
South Wales

CRA1G said:
1 MB MB 2 and MB 6 are owned by a company in Uxbridge. MB 1 used to be owned by Max Bygraves now owned by a 5.3 million lottery winner.nerd
1 MB no longer belongs to them, unless it is on loan to a private individual. It sits on a very special Veyron, which previously wore 2 MB IIRC.
CRA1G, Confusing because it was issued by the County Council of Chester, which later became Cheshire. Chester City Council was also an issuing authority, whose only two letter combo was FM MB1 was issued in July 1922; it was ever reversed, so must be a DVLA issue? Edit, just realised you are looking at same page of Newall bible as me :-) only other option is it was a 'special' issued to replace a duplicated plate...

JamesRF

746 posts

64 months

Tuesday 16th June 2020
quotequote all

NorthernSky

666 posts

83 months

Tuesday 16th June 2020
quotequote all
L1 NEN

On some nondescript OAP driven fiesta or something like it, the plate caught my eye more so than the auto.

philcray

751 posts

169 months

Tuesday 16th June 2020
quotequote all


Could be a good or a bad plate but you have to admire the chutzpah for having it on your car.....

v15ben

15,112 posts

207 months

Tuesday 16th June 2020
quotequote all
I see this volume has started with the usual mix of real good and real questionable plates hehe

Saw SAD 80Y on a Transit Pick Up in Garforth last week.

Yankee Romeo

292 posts

13 months

Tuesday 16th June 2020
quotequote all
v15ben said:
I see this volume has started with the usual mix of real good and real questionable plates hehe

Saw SAD 80Y on a Transit Pick Up in Garforth last week.
Couldn't agree more. Think the oldest argument on these volumes is/was the definition of "real good". From the many debates, two which come to mind at the moment are the person who paid just short of £2,700 for J65 PER and yer man that thought S171 THS was brilliant. Suppose it all comes down to interpretation. A good portion of the plates I see don't get posted because, just don't see them as "real good". For example saw 5 MER on a Q3, earlier. Auction job, sold for £4,521.50 all inc. back in December 1999. Now if that was an original issue from yesteryear that would have me all excited.

530dTPhil

1,275 posts

184 months

Tuesday 16th June 2020
quotequote all
I am sure that it's been posted before in the five previous volumes but where can I find out if a plate was an original issue or something released later please?
I know that one of mine was original issue around 1959 as I bought it back in 1971 when the Austin Cambridge that carried it was being scrapped, back in the days when that was possible.
Just curious about a couple of others if anyone can help please.

Car_Nut

597 posts

54 months

Tuesday 16th June 2020
quotequote all
Am I allowed to post the only private plate that I have ever put on a car? The plate cost me a princely £250 from the DVLA. It is also the correct year for the car (4.2 Sovereign LWB). Unfortunately, BREXIT related and divorce financial pressures caused me to sell the car, which I still miss - even though it is not really my sort of car (being bought for family hols & cross country family visits) it was the most beautifully built that I have ever known, and ate hundreds of miles in a day on the Autoroute effortlessly. It is now in Leamington Spa.


Yankee Romeo

292 posts

13 months

Tuesday 16th June 2020
quotequote all
530dTPhil said:
I am sure that it's been posted before in the five previous volumes but where can I find out if a plate was an original issue or something released later please?
I know that one of mine was original issue around 1959 as I bought it back in 1971 when the Austin Cambridge that carried it was being scrapped, back in the days when that was possible.
Just curious about a couple of others if anyone can help please.
The easiest would be to check on the DVLA site to see if it was an auction sale. Link below. You will need to put the space in the correct position, when you enter the reg. number.
https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/search/previ...
Otherwise there are books on the subject. The ones that come to mind are , Where's it form When was it Issued by Brian Heaton and Noel Woodall and A History of Motor Vehicle Registrations in the United Kingdom by L. H. Newall.
You can put them on here, sure. No doubt somebody should be able to give you some insight.


Edited by Yankee Romeo on Tuesday 16th June 14:06

TCS1

563 posts

101 months

Tuesday 16th June 2020
quotequote all

Sue20

1,090 posts

113 months

Tuesday 16th June 2020
quotequote all


Swiped off Instagram so I’ve included acknowledgements of photographer etc. @CRA1G

530dTPhil

1,275 posts

184 months

Tuesday 16th June 2020
quotequote all
Yankee Romeo said:
530dTPhil said:
I am sure that it's been posted before in the five previous volumes but where can I find out if a plate was an original issue or something released later please?
I know that one of mine was original issue around 1959 as I bought it back in 1971 when the Austin Cambridge that carried it was being scrapped, back in the days when that was possible.
Just curious about a couple of others if anyone can help please.
The easiest would be to check on the DVLA site to see if it was an auction sale. Link below. You will need to put the space in the correct position, when you enter the reg. number.
https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/search/previ...
Otherwise there are books on the subject. The ones that come to mind are , Where's it form When was it Issued by Brian Heaton and Noel Woodall and A History of Motor Vehicle Registrations in the United Kingdom by L. H. Newall.
You can put them on here, sure. No doubt somebody should be able to give you some insight.
Edited by Yankee Romeo on Tuesday 16th June 14:06
Thanks for the link. It appears that one of the numbers was auctioned in 2003 but the other two are presumably original issues circa 1959.

I found the books on eBay and have ordered both. Time to learn a little more!

RichardHMorris

104 posts

56 months

Tuesday 16th June 2020
quotequote all
philcray said:


Could be a good or a bad plate but you have to admire the chutzpah for having it on your car.....
plate on a pokey car and yes, the wrong thread.