Real Good Number Plates Vol. 6

Real Good Number Plates Vol. 6

Author
Discussion

STO

626 posts

111 months

Sunday 28th June
quotequote all
I saw EGG 30X on a Rolls Royce phantom the other day, didn`t look like the sort of motor someone who keeps a few chickens would own.

CRA1G

4,220 posts

150 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
STO said:
I saw EGG 30X on a Rolls Royce phantom the other day, didn`t look like the sort of motor someone who keeps a few chickens would own.
Wow... I sold that number about 30 years ago...! I was out in Leeds one night and spotted a VW Golf with that number,I put a note on the windscreen saying I would buy the car.... to my surprise I get a phone call a couple of days later and after a little negotiation I bought it with the original issued number... I advertised it with Reg Transfers for iirc £4000 and was sold to a polystyrene packaging company in Bradford who manufactured egg boxes...

WhiskyDisco

301 posts

29 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Sir Bagalot said:
This is rapidly becoming an often transferred plate after spending many years in hiding.

From memory this is the only Dawn running a 1x1 (pic lifted from elsewhere)

Not the only 1x1. Here is one from Solihull last year


RichardHMorris

72 posts

45 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Not sure if I should post this so soon...


nonsequitur

13,143 posts

71 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
RichardHMorris said:
Not sure if I should post this so soon...

Corr...What a plate.

Mikebentley

1,362 posts

95 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
RichardHMorris said:
Not sure if I should post this so soon...

ISWYDT

Hatson

1,200 posts

77 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
RichardHMorris said:
Not sure if I should post this so soon...

You posted so soon you got the wrong thread. hehe

Yankee Romeo

68 posts

2 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
jcuthell said:
My wife saw D50 on a Land Rover Defender on Friday on the A428 near Bedford. Must be valuable and early issue perhaps around 1905?
Early yes, issued by Kent CC in December 1903. As to value, i'd say an easy six figure plate.

Yankee Romeo

68 posts

2 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Hatson said:
RichardHMorris said:
Not sure if I should post this so soon...

You posted so soon you got the wrong thread. hehe
This one was £5917.40 all inc. in the July 2000 auction. Good one for Arturo Vidal, if he was living in the UK.

M3DGE

1,862 posts

119 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Yankee Romeo said:
2 sMoKiN bArReLs said:
Yankee Romeo said:
Notice how KH stands for Kingston upon Hull.
Not just a coincidence? (Maybe) Nottingham was AU, which is gold hehe
Oh, coincidence for sure, i'd say. So CE is another one for Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely. Didn't really include G for Glasgow or K for Kent as they're not immediately obvious.
There were plenty of these, and they were deliberate. Councils could make representations and often these were granted. K wasn't Kent though..it was Liverpool, the single letters and initial two letters (A- FP) were allocated in order of population size (other than G & S, Glasgow & Edinburgh). The first was when DF was withdrawn (Damn Fool) and Northampton successfully requested NH as a replacement instead of the next in order, DY. London received LC & LN; Middlesex MX & MC; Kent KT & KN: West Riding WR. KH was 'reserved' for Liverpool, but reallocated in 1924 to Kingston Upon Hull. There were loads of others where combinations were issued because one of the letters 'matched' (Eg AG - Ayr; FG - Fife...)

LARK F1 GTR

792 posts

101 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
90 N - VW Touran.

czerwiec

187 posts

109 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
6 MJ seen today on an Audi Q8

Sir Bagalot

5,334 posts

136 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Yankee Romeo said:
jcuthell said:
My wife saw D50 on a Land Rover Defender on Friday on the A428 near Bedford. Must be valuable and early issue perhaps around 1905?
Early yes, issued by Kent CC in December 1903. As to value, i'd say an easy six figure plate.
£100K + for D 50? I doubt it Infact I doubt it's worth half that

CRA1G

4,220 posts

150 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Sir Bagalot said:
£100K + for D 50? I doubt it Infact I doubt it's worth half that
53 D is currently advertised for £80K but as we all know asking and getting are two different things..?

Sir Bagalot

5,334 posts

136 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
WhiskyDisco said:
Sir Bagalot said:
This is rapidly becoming an often transferred plate after spending many years in hiding.

From memory this is the only Dawn running a 1x1 (pic lifted from elsewhere)

Not the only 1x1. Here is one from Solihull last year

I did forget about that.... but strictly speaking I'm right as 8 R isn't on that anymore

Sir Bagalot

5,334 posts

136 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
CRA1G said:
Sir Bagalot said:
£100K + for D 50? I doubt it Infact I doubt it's worth half that
53 D is currently advertised for £80K but as we all know asking and getting are two different things..?
I suspect reverse D's may attract a premium from dealers as they know there is a certain person out there that likes adding them to his collection.

moneymakestheworldgoaround

3,953 posts

130 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Sir Bagalot said:
I did forget about that.... but strictly speaking I'm right as 8 R isn't on that anymore
H 3, was also on a dawn tongue out

nonsequitur

13,143 posts

71 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
STO said:
I saw EGG 30X on a Rolls Royce phantom the other day, didn`t look like the sort of motor someone who keeps a few chickens would own.
Cracking plate,

CRA1G

4,220 posts

150 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
nonsequitur said:
Cracking plate,
Are you yolking....hehe

M3DGE

1,862 posts

119 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
Sir Bagalot said:
CRA1G said:
Sir Bagalot said:
£100K + for D 50? I doubt it Infact I doubt it's worth half that
53 D is currently advertised for £80K but as we all know asking and getting are two different things..?
I suspect reverse D's may attract a premium from dealers as they know there is a certain person out there that likes adding them to his collection.
You might be right (and I defer to your expertise on values!) but usually 'forward' combinations are more valuable due to rarity, correct? Anyway, I also agree D 50 is highly unlikely to reach six figures.