Why do dealerships take cars home

Why do dealerships take cars home

Author
Discussion

otolith

41,345 posts

159 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Mexman said:
otolith said:
Can't imagine why so many people find Tesla's sales channel refreshing!
Is that you and Jamoor then?
I'm pretty sure Tesla will only book test drives by appointment.
Referring more to the attitude than the mechanism for getting a test drive.


Mexman

2,254 posts

39 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
There is no attitude,
Demos will generally be on site 6 days per week, for 9 hrs a day, that's 54 hrs in the week, including weekends.
Plenty of time.
If on the off chance that particular car is not available, then you reappoint that customer for another time, another day.
If they are serious enough, and not just after a jolly, then why would this be a problem?

otolith

41,345 posts

159 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
"If you can't handle the truth.......its the way it is, get over it." - that attitude.

Tesla decided that wasn't good enough reason not to change things.

Anyway, that's a digression from the test drive issue.

Unless you're looking for something particularly rare, there's usually somewhere else - and they deserve the sale.

Fair enough if you've just dropped in and it's out somewhere. If you can't see one somewhere else, make an appointment to see that one. If (like one poster here) you've made an appointment and the car still isn't there, they're either incompetent or don't care. If they treat you like that when they're trying to sell you something, imagine what they'll be like if the car has a problem. Don't go back.

CooperS

4,024 posts

174 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Mexman said:
There is no attitude,
Demos will generally be on site 6 days per week, for 9 hrs a day, that's 54 hrs in the week, including weekends.
Plenty of time.
If on the off chance that particular car is not available, then you reappoint that customer for another time, another day.
If they are serious enough, and not just after a jolly, then why would this be a problem?
I do understand your point. I guess I've been burnt by calling understanding that a particular spec car is available turning up and it somewhere in Sainsbury's.

Last really life experiences was an I3S and Mini Clubman JCW both had particular things I wanted to check out with most options ticked.

Unfortunately my local dealer on both occasions went ah yes that's out with the manager but you can see this basic spec car ....... No I want to see if I'd like the panoramic roof or the leather option.

The reason why we've got embarrassingly fully spec Abarth 595 was the demo car was packed with options and my wife had have the same. So carbon dash, leather buckets etc. Smart up selling by the dealer.

Mexman

2,254 posts

39 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
otolith said:
"If you can't handle the truth.......its the way it is, get over it." - that attitude.

Tesla decided that wasn't good enough reason not to change things.

Anyway, that's a digression from the test drive issue.

Unless you're looking for something particularly rare, there's usually somewhere else - and they deserve the sale.

Fair enough if you've just dropped in and it's out somewhere. If you can't see one somewhere else, make an appointment to see that one. If (like one poster here) you've made an appointment and the car still isn't there, they're either incompetent or don't care. If they treat you like that when they're trying to sell you something, imagine what they'll be like if the car has a problem. Don't go back.
What has Tesla got to do with anything?
Make an appointment in a shopping centre, turn up, get 15 mins drive, buy online.
Turn up unannounced, demand demo, will you get one then and there?
Doubtful.

Buster73

3,934 posts

108 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Mexman said:
What has Tesla got to do with anything?
Make an appointment in a shopping centre, turn up, get 15 mins drive, buy online.
Turn up unannounced, demand demo, will you get one then and there?
Doubtful.
Tesla test drive for me was a one hour slot at a hotel , full explanation and thorough test drive , followed by an email with all the financial options.

Followed by a phone call a few days later.

Didn’t buy in the end , but the overall experience was very good.

otolith

41,345 posts

159 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
Mexman said:
What has Tesla got to do with anything?
Make an appointment in a shopping centre, turn up, get 15 mins drive, buy online.
Turn up unannounced, demand demo, will you get one then and there?
Doubtful.
Yeah, still thinking less about the mechanics of test drives and more about how contemptuous your attitude to your customers came across, and your suggestion that this is ok because it’s always been like that. Those are the two things I am suggesting people might appreciate Tesla’s take on.

Manx V8V

482 posts

37 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
CRA1G said:
I remember a few dealerships as an incentive would allow the best performing salesman of the month to have the top model demo to use the following month which made it all very competitive.... Big Motoring World still do it today with a top model Range Rover (not a demo) with the registration BIG 1 as their incentive......driving
Slightly off topic but back in the 1980's I saw a newspaper article where the boss of a large company whose sales staff all had company cars, I think in those days probably Sierra's or similar, bought a brand new Lada Riva in hearing aid beige, each month this Lada was awarded to the worst performing salesman who got to use it for the next 30 days, he reckoned the stunt pushed up overall sales by around 20%!!

CooperS

4,024 posts

174 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
otolith said:
Mexman said:
What has Tesla got to do with anything?
Make an appointment in a shopping centre, turn up, get 15 mins drive, buy online.
Turn up unannounced, demand demo, will you get one then and there?
Doubtful.
Yeah, still thinking less about the mechanics of test drives and more about how contemptuous your attitude to your customers came across, and your suggestion that this is ok because it’s always been like that. Those are the two things I am suggesting people might appreciate Tesla’s take on.
Exactly.

A1VDY

2,449 posts

82 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
21st Century Man said:
Alucidnation said:
Jimny33 said:
It was more of the fact that we’d rung twice before and to be told that it wouldn’t be in but such is life. Basically instead of buying, say a 1 owner car, it’s a two owner car because someone is using it regularly.

Just got back from looking at the rivals - GLC 63S etc. All very nice!
So you knew it wasn’t going to be there but went anyway?

confused
What? He rang twice and they told him it wouldn't be there anyway?

As for 1 owner, my wife has had her car from new and when it's sold it'll be described as 1 owner, although I drive it every now and then and our son went on holiday in it once too, that doesn't make it a 3 owner car.
Exactly, any number of drivers use your car. Therefore it makes no odds how many 'owners' on a V5, whether its one or four+.
Its the condition of a car and s/h which counts, not numbers on a document..

Mexman

2,254 posts

39 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
CooperS said:
otolith said:
Mexman said:
What has Tesla got to do with anything?
Make an appointment in a shopping centre, turn up, get 15 mins drive, buy online.
Turn up unannounced, demand demo, will you get one then and there?
Doubtful.
Yeah, still thinking less about the mechanics of test drives and more about how contemptuous your attitude to your customers came across, and your suggestion that this is ok because it’s always been like that. Those are the two things I am suggesting people might appreciate Tesla’s take on.
No, you just refuse to accept the truth and the facts.
Not my problem, if you only have a one way thought process.

Edited by Mexman on Tuesday 30th June 06:19

alorotom

7,976 posts

142 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
Mexman said:
Demos ran as company cars has been happening since the dark ages.
The company I work for has 6 directors that OWN the 3 site dealerships and all of its stock outright, no stocking loans, nothing.
They all drive very nice top of the range demos, registered to THEIR business.
If you thing that someone such as a director, who OWNS the business, is gonna buy or use their own personal car for business or pleasure, then you are deluded.
New car salespeople have a demo as a company car, it's one perk of the job which has been happening for ever, and in part makes up for the st basic wage.
They OWN the cars, not you and can do what the bloody hell they want with them, they have bought them and paid for them, not you.
It's always been the way, get over it.

Edited by Mexman on Monday 29th June 16:42
The business owns the cars ... the people don’t. In turn the people own the business.

Those vehicles are assets of the business not the individuals.

So the justification that it’s happened forever and always should do is enough to make it “right and proper”? That’s just unintelligent tosh!

I would argue that any car sales business is there to sell cars and therefore all assets should be present at all times to be able to be available for potential customers ... not just 54hrs out of a week ... a missed sale is a missed sale, self justification that someone else will come along and buy it on a day more convenient to the sales person is just bad business.

832ark

965 posts

111 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
alorotom said:
Mexman said:
Demos ran as company cars has been happening since the dark ages.
The company I work for has 6 directors that OWN the 3 site dealerships and all of its stock outright, no stocking loans, nothing.
They all drive very nice top of the range demos, registered to THEIR business.
If you thing that someone such as a director, who OWNS the business, is gonna buy or use their own personal car for business or pleasure, then you are deluded.
New car salespeople have a demo as a company car, it's one perk of the job which has been happening for ever, and in part makes up for the st basic wage.
They OWN the cars, not you and can do what the bloody hell they want with them, they have bought them and paid for them, not you.
It's always been the way, get over it.

Edited by Mexman on Monday 29th June 16:42
The business owns the cars ... the people don’t. In turn the people own the business.

Those vehicles are assets of the business not the individuals.

So the justification that it’s happened forever and always should do is enough to make it “right and proper”? That’s just unintelligent tosh!

I would argue that any car sales business is there to sell cars and therefore all assets should be present at all times to be able to be available for potential customers ... not just 54hrs out of a week ... a missed sale is a missed sale, self justification that someone else will come along and buy it on a day more convenient to the sales person is just bad business.
In that case there are no test drives allowed, especially extended ones!

GTiWILL

391 posts

33 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
alorotom said:
Mexman said:
Demos ran as company cars has been happening since the dark ages.
The company I work for has 6 directors that OWN the 3 site dealerships and all of its stock outright, no stocking loans, nothing.
They all drive very nice top of the range demos, registered to THEIR business.
If you thing that someone such as a director, who OWNS the business, is gonna buy or use their own personal car for business or pleasure, then you are deluded.
New car salespeople have a demo as a company car, it's one perk of the job which has been happening for ever, and in part makes up for the st basic wage.
They OWN the cars, not you and can do what the bloody hell they want with them, they have bought them and paid for them, not you.
It's always been the way, get over it.

Edited by Mexman on Monday 29th June 16:42
The business owns the cars ... the people don’t. In turn the people own the business.

Those vehicles are assets of the business not the individuals.

So the justification that it’s happened forever and always should do is enough to make it “right and proper”? That’s just unintelligent tosh!

I would argue that any car sales business is there to sell cars and therefore all assets should be present at all times to be able to be available for potential customers ... not just 54hrs out of a week ... a missed sale is a missed sale, self justification that someone else will come along and buy it on a day more convenient to the sales person is just bad business.
I think it’s true what you say. In an ideal world, all cars owned by the business should be there at all times. However, that doesn’t work in practice. I’ve had customers turn up on a whim to drive a car that’s loaned out to a service customer, as they’ve ran out of courtesy cars and they are trying to help their customer out at short notice. I’ve had customers turn up to view a car that somebody else is currently test driving. Or that’s at the body shop. Or on a car that is somebody else’s allocated company car, like the accountant who might be on annual leave. If one of my customers calls in advance to view one of the above, I will make sure the car is there when promised, and the car is fuelled up and valeted. In my eyes, it’s just basic customer service. On a personal level, I’m polite and helpful. I don’t pressurise and I help people achieve what they want from the visit, in as simple a way as possible. I don’t think I’m doing customers a favour when I sell a car, as I don’t put myself or the company above the customer. If you get the basics right, you’ll do well. It is not rocket science. 99% of the people in this industry think the same. But like any job, it’s the 1% that give us a bad name.

CRA1G

4,220 posts

150 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
alorotom said:
The business owns the cars ... the people don’t. In turn the people own the business.

Those vehicles are assets of the business not the individuals.
Only if the business is LTD or PLC..? I have been in business 40 years and never been LTD as the same for many dealers I know.?

Deep Thought

26,746 posts

152 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
I've genuinely never had any issues - ring in advance, explain exactly what you want to be able to test drive, confirm they have it, confirm it will be available, give them details of any potential trade in, turn up, test drive.

If they cant let us drive the exact car, then it needs to be one very close - last time it was a 3 door M140i not a 5 door (no issue as they had 5 doors available so we could see what access was like to the back) and the time before that it was a CLA45 not an A45.

That works an awful lot better for EVERYONE than turning up on a whim and expecting all cars to be all available and sitting ready to go 24x7.

Its a two way street.




HTP99

16,564 posts

95 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
Deep Thought said:
That works an awful lot better for EVERYONE than turning up on a whim and expecting all cars to be all available and sitting ready to go 24x7.

Its a two way street.
Nope you are wrong this is Pistonheads, everyone on here (rightly) expects to just rock up at any time, completely unnancounced (better if its 5 minutes before closing) to be treated like royalty and directed to the airfield out the back to be greeted with the sight of every single version, engine, spec and colour of car that, that manufacturer offers, all fulled and ready for a test drive with an ever attentive sales person who has done nothing at all since starting the job, apart from waiting, knowing that one day this Pistonheader will be along at some point demanding full attention and now!

DrSteveBrule

1,937 posts

86 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
5 minutes after leaving work one Friday I was rear-ended by somebody bringing home a brand new Q8 from the Audi garage next door to my office. I was waiting at a zebra crossing, they pulled forward into me.

They wrote off my car and their insurance paid out. Would the Q8 then have a record of having been in an accident?

HTP99

16,564 posts

95 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
DrSteveBrule said:
5 minutes after leaving work one Friday I was rear-ended by somebody bringing home a brand new Q8 from the Audi garage next door to my office. I was waiting at a zebra crossing, they pulled forward into me.

They wrote off my car and their insurance paid out. Would the Q8 then have a record of having been in an accident?
Only if it was written off.

Pegscratch

1,189 posts

63 months

Tuesday 30th June
quotequote all
Some people really are odd. The staff have the use of all of the demonstrator vehicles - even the ones up for sale - because it means that they are always in a roadworthy condition and ready to go. Car supermarkets work differently, although I'm not sure how differently as I've no direct experience of how they run car pools etc, but the benefits for the main dealer are clear. No demonstrators sat there with rusted solid brakes, having to excuse the first couple of miles of grinding brakes as it's not moved for a few weeks, going to start it and it being flat as my ex girlfriend.

I've always made a point of getting in touch with the dealer and making sure it's on site and available, and they've made arrangements with people who may not be in on that day for them to swap cars with someone else to make sure that happens. If you've spoken to them and they've said it'll be there and it hasn't, absent a good excuse (we're really sorry, it was supposed to be coming back in this morning but that hasn't happened because of things outside of their control) and ideally a phone call beforehand (although if you're turning up at 9am then they may not have that opportunity) then you're right to be pissed, but god only knows how some people think these things work!