RE: McLaren 620R | PH Review

RE: McLaren 620R | PH Review

Author
Discussion

SidewaysSi

7,857 posts

192 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
650spider said:
SidewaysSi said:
Me bitter? Why do you say that? And don't you worry about my work old chap... wink I would concentrate on yourself rather than worrying about others.

And please tell me you aren't so inexperienced/small minded to think more expensive cars are automatically better at everything..

Edited by SidewaysSi on Friday 21st August 13:14
I don't actually worry about others tbf...odd comment; I just made a mere observation.

The bitter part was based on every McLaren post that you have ever made is negative and trying to put the brand down.

Did I mistake your humour for bitterness? If so I do apologise.

Did you actually read my reply that I have been fortunate to own and experience both a Cavalier and McLaren, or did you just skip straight to another humorous reply?

I rate both cars highly....one was way better than the other for some things, and vice versa.

A bit like most cars now i come to think of it.

I cannot recall where i posted a view that 'more expensive cars are automatically better at everything..' it certainly was not mentioned in my post; please do point out where I posted that please.

I think by your mere mention of it, it is an opinion that you have formed of anyone with an 'expensive' car; takes me back to that bitter part again somehow.
My word you are a bit sensitive about your dear McLaren aren't you? Please explain why you think I "need to work a bit harder so I can get one myself"? - you are the one who started with opinions of others I think... wink.


Edited by SidewaysSi on Friday 21st August 15:50

SidewaysSi

7,857 posts

192 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
rockin said:
650spider said:
I think by your mere mention of it, it is an opinion that you have formed of anyone with an 'expensive' car; takes me back to that bitter part again somehow.
Yup, that's poor old Sideways.

See if you can get him started on "private plates" as a Bonus for Ten!
Eh? Think you are confusing me with someone else old chap. And your Boxster is rear wheel drive. It really is. Promise.

rockin

8,516 posts

203 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
SidewaysSi said:
My word you are a bit sensitive about....
Every - single - time - it's - the - same - thing.

rockin

8,516 posts

203 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
SidewaysSi said:
And your Boxster is rear wheel drive. It really is. Promise.
Every - single - time - it's - the - same - thing.

TyrannosauRoss Lex

25,741 posts

170 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
rockin said:
SidewaysSi said:
My word you are a bit sensitive about....
Every - single - time - it's - the - same - thing.
Certainly seems that way on numerous threads. Bizarre.

ate one too

2,278 posts

104 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
bennno said:
Its unbelievable to think you can pick up a relatively new sports series for 2/3 of the price of an equivalent 5 -6 year hurrican or 488.
It's not unbelievable - just ask a few people in the motor trade why this is so ....

RSbandit

1,248 posts

90 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
Unless it weighs less than 1 ton Si ain't interested...he's also a driving God if you weren't aware...top bloke

bennno

6,564 posts

227 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
ate one too said:
bennno said:
Its unbelievable to think you can pick up a relatively new sports series for 2/3 of the price of an equivalent 5 -6 year hurrican or 488.
It's not unbelievable - just ask a few people in the motor trade why this is so ....
I fully understand why the cars are not holding their value, my point is that the depreciation makes them an utter bargain as a lightly used buy for a car with a manufacturer warranty in place.

joshleb

998 posts

102 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
TypeRTim said:
SidewaysSi said:
Personally I see them as similar to:

Cavalier L
Cavalier GL
Cavalier CD
Cavalier Diplomat

Cavalier SRI - this is the 620R equivalent
Cavalier GSI - the Senna?
Cavalier L - 540C
Cavalier GL - 570S
Cavalier Diplomat- 570GT
Cavalier SRI - 600LT
Cavalier GSI - 620R

Carlton GSI - 720S
Lotus Carlton - 765LT

Make sense now? Good!
Love this, it's all so clear now!

SidewaysSi

7,857 posts

192 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
rockin said:
SidewaysSi said:
My word you are a bit sensitive about....
Every - single - time - it's - the - same - thing.
Certainly seems that way on numerous threads. Bizarre.
Oooh Forum Friends. Nice one lads.

MDL111

4,879 posts

135 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
650spider said:
Porsche911R said:
That’s rubbish lol

So you think the 620R has standard sus geo and no trick shocks !

Odd.

The 570s = 911 GTS
600lt = GT3
620r = GT3 RS

720S = 992 turbos S
765lt = GT2 RS


IMHO.
I think that's as near as you can get as a fair comparison, although the GTS is a very different beast to the 570.

Sorry to disagree with the other poster, but there are no Caymans on the same spectrum; even a GT4 seems lethargic going from a 540C.
No dog in this fight but if anything one should compare McLaren to Ferrari imo - and one could argue that that is where it falls apart a little given the lack of engine / layout variety of their cars
Comparing them to Porsche who produce about 40k 911s a year from memory is a bit pointless the same way it would be to compare Porsche to BMW

TyrannosauRoss Lex

25,741 posts

170 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
MDL111 said:
650spider said:
Porsche911R said:
That’s rubbish lol

So you think the 620R has standard sus geo and no trick shocks !

Odd.

The 570s = 911 GTS
600lt = GT3
620r = GT3 RS

720S = 992 turbos S
765lt = GT2 RS


IMHO.
I think that's as near as you can get as a fair comparison, although the GTS is a very different beast to the 570.

Sorry to disagree with the other poster, but there are no Caymans on the same spectrum; even a GT4 seems lethargic going from a 540C.
No dog in this fight but if anything one should compare McLaren to Ferrari imo - and one could argue that that is where it falls apart a little given the lack of engine / layout variety of their cars
Comparing them to Porsche who produce about 40k 911s a year from memory is a bit pointless the same way it would be to compare Porsche to BMW
I don't think they're comparing them TO 911s (unless it's a Turbo S, for example) but they're comparing them to the style of range/variety. I thought that was pretty clear confused

Also, I may be wrong but I think the 720S and 765LT are more 488 and 488 Pista rivals, but the 570S sits at a lower price point, so not necessarily a Ferrari rival?

Edited by TyrannosauRoss Lex on Friday 21st August 19:16

Porsche911R

20,655 posts

223 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
MDL111 said:
No dog in this fight but if anything one should compare McLaren to Ferrari imo - and one could argue that that is where it falls apart a little given the lack of engine / layout variety of their cars
Comparing them to Porsche who produce about 40k 911s a year from memory is a bit pointless the same way it would be to compare Porsche to BMW
I have a GT3 I have a DTM.

Same price, same bhp, ni on the same Ring time etc etc.

Both the best of each brand imo.

Like wise the M4 CS vs a GTS

BMW make great drivers cars. Just don’t have the snob value.

M2 CS vs GT4 as an example on a rung down the ladder.

620r is mega the only think like it is a GT3 RS .

Macca don’t make a car like a Ferrari and I cannot see any ferrari owner switching to a macca.

But if 600lt keep dropping I,ll be looking a bit more at them .


Griffgrog

638 posts

204 months

Saturday 22nd August
quotequote all
I've got to say that the 620R looks the business. I tried a 600 LT spider and its chassis didn't give up anything for it having had its roof chopped off, something that can't be said for its rivals.

But it was the way it went, handled and sounded that were my lasting memory.

Given that the 620 had taken this to the next level, it's rivals are just for posing. This is a proper sports car. I'm going to start saving!



Kent Border Kenny

808 posts

18 months

Saturday 22nd August
quotequote all
SidewaysSi said:
Me bitter? Why do you say that? And don't you worry about my work old chap... wink I would concentrate on yourself rather than worrying about others.

And please tell me you aren't so inexperienced/small minded to think more expensive cars are automatically better at everything..

Edited by SidewaysSi on Friday 21st August 13:14
Not always, but they generally are better at what they are designed to be good at, which is why people are happy to spend more money on them.

Kent Border Kenny

808 posts

18 months

Saturday 22nd August
quotequote all
SidewaysSi said:
My word you are a bit sensitive about your dear McLaren aren't you? Please explain why you think I "need to work a bit harder so I can get one myself"? - you are the one who started with opinions of others I think... wink.


Edited by SidewaysSi on Friday 21st August 15:50
If you don’t work a bit harder / smarter how do you plan to increase your income then?

Increasing your earnings is a far more certain route to owning higher-end cars than is waiting for a lottery win.

My love of nice cars was one of the reasons I went back to do another degree and then change careers, there’s no way I could have ever afforded the sort of things I now can if I’d remained a civil servant.

theRossatron

969 posts

190 months

Saturday 22nd August
quotequote all
Camelot1971 said:
I don't think that's true at all. What British people don't like is cold, arrogant people or companies that think they have a right to exist without any kind of criticism.

Bar the F1, McLaren have produced cars that are devoid of charisma and personality - even the naming of their cars is terrible. MP4-12C could be a washing machine or a phone. Yes, it's a cliché, but there is no obvious passion like there is with a lot of other brands. That's fine if you can rely on cold, clinical excellence but what McLaren actually are delivering is unreliable, poorly built cars in the hope that the blind zealots that buy them will keep sticking their fingers in their ears and going "lalalalala" when anyone mentions issues.

It's no coincidence that people who buy McLarens have the same traits as the manufacturer.
How much of this have you ascertained from personal experience?

SidewaysSi

7,857 posts

192 months

Saturday 22nd August
quotequote all
Kent Border Kenny said:
SidewaysSi said:
My word you are a bit sensitive about your dear McLaren aren't you? Please explain why you think I "need to work a bit harder so I can get one myself"? - you are the one who started with opinions of others I think... wink.


Edited by SidewaysSi on Friday 21st August 15:50
If you don’t work a bit harder / smarter how do you plan to increase your income then?

Increasing your earnings is a far more certain route to owning higher-end cars than is waiting for a lottery win.

My love of nice cars was one of the reasons I went back to do another degree and then change careers, there’s no way I could have ever afforded the sort of things I now can if I’d remained a civil servant.
True. But that was aimed at Mr 650Spider who made a daft and massively presumptuous comment that somehow I (or others I assume) needs to work harder so one day they can hopefully afford a McLaren just like him.

What he doesn't realise is that his car is worth about the same as 2 packets of crisps. And plenty of people can afford to buy "expensive" cars but choose not to for a variety of reasons.

Let's just say I am more than happy with what I have and my income levels thank you very much. And I have zero aspiration to buy McL even if I won a lottery jackpot.. smile

SidewaysSi

7,857 posts

192 months

Saturday 22nd August
quotequote all
Kent Border Kenny said:
SidewaysSi said:
Me bitter? Why do you say that? And don't you worry about my work old chap... wink I would concentrate on yourself rather than worrying about others.

And please tell me you aren't so inexperienced/small minded to think more expensive cars are automatically better at everything..

Edited by SidewaysSi on Friday 21st August 13:14
Not always, but they generally are better at what they are designed to be good at, which is why people are happy to spend more money on them.
In some instances though believe me, that is not a given. People spend money on them for a variety of reasons, ability is not always top of the list..

rockin

8,516 posts

203 months

Saturday 22nd August
quotequote all
SidewaysSi said:
I have zero aspiration to buy McL even if I won a lottery jackpot.. smile
And yet you're posting in the McLaren 620R Review thread.

Why are you here?